Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,768 members, 7,824,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. (12659 Views)

Peter Obi's Achievements In Rural Areas In Anambra That Isn't Talked Much About / How Is The Electricity Bill In Your Area? / Exorbitant Estimated Electricity Billings! Post Your March Bills Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by bixton(m): 7:02am On Aug 14, 2018
Online warriors all the time.
Just Google "nepawahala" to know where to channel your complaints.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Pope22(m): 7:19am On Aug 14, 2018
OP.. Please add owerre ezeroba in the tittle please.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by gabbasin: 7:35am On Aug 14, 2018
onegig:
We need to tell ourselves the truth.

Electricity is not cheap. I see people commenting about N200 per month for NEPA bills? shocked

How many minutes would N200 fuel last in your generator that you expect to pay N200 per month for an average of 4hours of light per day?

Yeah. There are crazy bills sometimes. But millions of households have not paid NEPA bills in like years and they expect good supply.

We all shout about overseas but kindly ask your families living outside the country how much they pay on electricity bills and you would know that to get something good you have to pay for it. Businesses aren't charity and to break even they need to make money also.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Shantyken(m): 8:41am On Aug 14, 2018
ifychris77:
The same EEDC, that is the problem we are having here in Umunna Nsulu of Abia state. You will be force to pay that huge amount but you won't see light. We are seeing the great change that APC has brought for us. Before now there used to be a steady power supply with low NEPA bill of #200 per month
pls is d gov of abia state Apc or Pdp
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Shantyken(m): 8:44am On Aug 14, 2018
domesifa:
I had since forgotten about public electricity. My small solar inverter powers bulbs, fans, TV and I charge my phone and laptop anytime I wish
how much did dat cost u to instal
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by moyinoluwabun(m): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2018
robinso01:
is elekute same as ekute @ ado ekiti?
yes
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by caprini1: 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2018
dominique:
N1000 power bill is exorbitant?
In the villages ,it is exorbitant.Most of the houses only use it for charging phones ,and I mean phones you can use for three days after charging.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by olmoRoc: 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hargbo:
they won't give you prepaid meter even if you are ready to pay for the exorbitant amount they asking for what should be free.

Because if they gave you the meter, you wouldn't be their cash cow anymore!
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by robinso01(m): 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2018
moyinoluwabun:
yes
OK, but majority of houses there use prepaid, I stays beside lovely guest house when am in ado ekiti.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by demmydy(m): 6:37pm On Aug 15, 2018
Azhi-garam tafa local govt, niger. Jxt 4 pple in a student lodge pay over 12k per month. Haba. Jxt laptop nd fan we usin. Haba Nepa. Der is G0d
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by LaudableXX: 3:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
onegig:
We need to tell ourselves the truth.

Electricity is not cheap. I see people commenting about N200 per month for NEPA bills? shocked

How many minutes would N200 fuel last in your generator that you expect to pay N200 per month for an average of 4hours of light per day?

Yeah. There are crazy bills sometimes. But millions of households have not paid NEPA bills in like years and they expect good supply.

We all shout about overseas but kindly ask your families living outside the country how much they pay on electricity bills and you would know that to get something good you have to pay for it. Businesses aren't charity and to break even they need to make money also.
You do NOT need to lie, in order to get your points across. sad Is it possible for millions of households not to pay any electricity bill for years, within this same Nigeria, and still be enjoying power? shocked What do you get from telling bold-faced lies, like this? Is it because you want to defend the DISCOs who are your paymasters?

In my own old family house, our average bill for the old meter was about 8,500 per month. We applied for the new meter, but it was never given to us. angry Every month we got the estimated bill, we paid. The highest we ever paid in one month was 13,000 naira.

All of a sudden, we were issued a bill of 65,000 naira for one month out of the blues. We were aghast. shocked We wrote letters and complained. We went to their offices several times, and reported the case. After 2 months, one of the managers confessed that the wrong factor or equation, was used to calculate the bill for that month.

Okay, we begged him to reverse the charges and re-calculate the bill. He refused. angry The entire EKEDC office managers in the district, claimed we should first pay the 65k, before they could treat our case. Next thing, they cut off the power supply. We dragged the matter for several months, but still had to pay. And then they made us pay reconnection fees as well. How anybody can defend a 65k monthly bill for a 3-bedroom house that does not use air-conditioners and lacks electric cookers, but has only one caretaker living inside just one room within the building, still beats me hollow, till today. shocked

In many parts of the country, the DISCOs are quick to cut off power supply due to non-payment of bills, even when those bills are wrongly computed by them. So where are the millions of households that have been enjoying power for free, but do not want to pay? Where did you see them? Did you do a survey before you jumped to this asinine conclusion? shocked

The "overseas" you referred to so blithely, would not give you estimated bills for electricity supply, you have never received. angry Go and check. You can sue the pants off them, if they try such nonsense with you. Or your elected officials can lose elections or may even be embroiled in a scandal, if they allow such illegal actions, to stand. So stop making unsubstantiated comments, please. undecided
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by onegig(m): 3:19pm On Aug 18, 2018
LaudableXX:

You do NOT need to lie, in order to get your points across. sad Is it possible for millions of households not to pay any electricity bill for years, within this same Nigeria, and still be enjoying power? shocked What do you get from telling bold-faced lies, like this? Is it because you want to defend the DISCOs who are your paymasters?

In my own old family house, our average bill for the old meter was about 8,500 per month. We applied for the new meter, but it was never given to us. angry Every month we got the estimated bill, we paid. The highest we ever paid in one month was 13,000 naira.

All of a sudden, we were issued a bill of 65,000 naira for one month out of the blues. We were aghast. shocked We wrote letters and complained. We went to their offices several times, and reported the case. After 2 months, one of the managers confessed that the wrong factor or equation, was used to calculate the bill for that month.

Okay, we begged him to reverse the charges and re-calculate the bill. He refused. angry The entire EKEDC office managers in the district, claimed we should first pay the 65k, before they could treat our case. Next thing, they cut off the power supply. We dragged the matter for several months, but still had to pay. And then they made us pay reconnection fees as well. How anybody can defend a 65k monthly bill for a 3-bedroom house that does not use air-conditioners and lacks electric cookers, but has only one caretaker living inside just one room within the building, still beats me hollow, till today. shocked

In many parts of the country, the DISCOs are quick to cut off power supply due to non-payment of bills, even when those bills are wrongly computed by them. So where are the millions of households that have been enjoying power for free, but do not want to pay? Where did you see them? Did you do a survey before you jumped to this asinine conclusion? shocked

The "overseas" you referred to so blithely, would not give you estimated bills for electricity supply, you have never received. angry Go and check. You can sue the pants off them, if they try such nonsense with you. Or your elected officials can lose elections or may even be embroiled in a scandal, if they allow such illegal actions, to stand. So stop making unsubstantiated comments, please. undecided

I understand your grievances about estimated billing. Yeah people deserve to know exactly how much they are using and deserve accountability. I was just giving you another perspective why you see them foot dragging as regards distribution of prepaid meters. Prepaid meters aren't rocket science so why is it so hard to just distribute it. Seems perplexing given this has been an ongoing issue for more than a decade now. That alone should tell you there is more than meets the eye.

I wish I recorded the Estate committee around here going round with loud public address systems to beg members to please pay their NEPA bills. Tell an average Nigerian household to show you their bill and see the gangantum debts on it. They had to disconnect the whole transformer in a Local government when I served in Kano for months because 90% of the households did not fulfil their obligations in paying bills and this same scenario is replicate in almost all part of the country.

I think the leaders are part of the problem . When politicians campaign about light and water. I only wish they candidly tell people it comes at a cost but who would vote for such honesty?

As for your cost comparison. Per kwh electricity in the US costs 12cents per kilowatt. Compare to Nigeria where it costs 6 Cents and Germany where it is 35cents pkwh. Fun fact there was a thread here some years back about Nigerians in the UK turning off their inner lights and using the TV reflection because of high energy bills. Lol.

The problems in the power sector doesn't lie on the part of the end user alone but in this regard my reply was in response to the thread and the response of people stating that they used to receive N200 naira as monthly electricity bills and their annoyance that it has increased to N1000 or so.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by LaudableXX: 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2018
onegig:
I understand your grievances about estimated billing. Yeah people deserve to know exactly how much they are using and deserve accountability. I was just giving you another perspective why you see them foot dragging as regards distribution of prepaid meters. Prepaid meters aren't rocket science so why is it so hard to just distribute it. Seems perplexing given this has been an ongoing issue for more than a decade now. That alone should tell you there is more than meets the eye.

I wish I recorded the Estate committee around here going round with loud public address systems to beg members to please pay their NEPA bills. Tell an average Nigerian household to show you their bill and see the gangantum debts on it. They had to disconnect the whole transformer in a Local government when I served in Kano for months because 90% of the households did not fulfil their obligations in paying bills and this same scenario is replicate in almost all part of the country.

I think the leaders are part of the problem . When politicians campaign about light and water. I only wish they candidly tell people it comes at a cost but who would vote for such honesty?

As for your cost comparison. Per kwh electricity in the US costs 12cents per kilowatt. Compare to Nigeria where it costs 6 Cents and Germany where it is 35cents pkwh. Fun fact there was a thread here some years back about Nigerians in the UK turning off their inner lights and using the TV reflection because of high energy bills. Lol.

The problems in the power sector doesn't lie on the part of the end user alone but in this regard my reply was in response to the thread and the response of people stating that they used to receive N200 naira as monthly electricity bills and their annoyance that it has increased to N1000 or so.

Oga, please nobody can ever tell you truthfully & honestly, that they used to receive 200 naira as monthly bills. So please stop exaggerating. shocked It is simply NOT possible. Even the paper used to print the bill, costs more than 200 naira.

And each time people claim that cost per kilowatt in the US and UK is higher than Nigeria, I always ask them to also do the same comparative analysis to cover wages and salaries received by workers in the UK & US, and then weigh it to what people are being paid in Nigeria. shocked What is the minimum monthly wage in Nigeria, compared to the US & UK? What is the cost of service delivery in the US/UK compared with Nigeria?

In Saudi Arabia and in some other OPEC nations, what is the cost of power? Before doing such comparisons, you need to put them in proper context. You cannot price a commodity or service, above people's ability to pay. sad

In the UK, several years back when water rates were privatised & hiked, they discovered that the elderly, infirm and disabled people were dying in several districts, due to lack of access to pipe-borne water. They realised that people in this group, could not afford to pay the same water rates as the rest of the population, due to their low purchasing power. So what happened? Their govt reduced the water rates for this class of people. undecided The problem with this nation, is that there is too much waste and greed within the system.

Let the DISCOs think outside the box on how to provide services, and collect their bills. The example you gave of an entire community in Kano that did not pay their electricity bills, reeks of exaggeration. Was the DISCO still providing them with power, after they failed to make payment for electricity they received? shocked In various communities within the Southwest and North-central, you will discover that entire districts have been languishing without electricity for years. The DISCOs (or their grandfather which used to be known as NEPA) disconnected them from the national grid many years ago, and those people have accepted their fate. sad

You claim there are gargantuan debts on electricity bills of many households. Why didn't you ask if those bills were valid or accurate? I just told you my own experience of how my family house was wrongly billed 65,000 naira in just 1 month, due to an error by the DISCO, yet they refused bluntly to rectify it. angry Anyone who sees that bill, will believe that we incurred that amount due to our consumption, yet the entire house was vacant for over 1 year, except for a caretaker living inside one room in the BQ. Tell me, do I have a bakery in my house, that could have led them to inflict such a bill upon the place, in just 1 month? shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: FG Orders IDP's Back To Unsafe Region Because Of Election - Reuters / APC Offers Night Registration For Shy PDP Members In Enugu / Governor Obiano Signs Anambra Anti-open Grazing Bill Into Law(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.