Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,162 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (117878 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Not the TV one. They came to our college to judge. University of Houston downtown. It was to determine the best of the inaugural graduate executive MBA business program. We were the only ones to get funding.

Also how has Houston recovered since Hurricane Harvey? We don't hear much about it anymore.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:00pm On Aug 27, 2018
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:01pm On Aug 27, 2018
Backfornow:

Also how has Houston recovered since Hurricane Harvey? We don't hear much about it anymore.

Oh, Houston always bounces back. This is the third flood we've been through while I've been here. All good.

Outside my place last time when the water started receding. Whole place flooded except our house and the people next to us smiley

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Oh, Houston always bounces back. This is the third flood we've been through while I've been here. All good.

Very interesting posts. Thanks alot.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Outside my place last time when the water started receding. Whole place flooded except our house and the people next to us smiley

Ive got more questions.
The money that was raised for Houston victims, did it get to the people who needed it?
Since youve been through so many floods are you required to have flood insurance and does that factor in the affordability of owning a home there?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 8:21pm On Aug 27, 2018
I believe this car will soon be auctioned as a result of flood and may make its way to Nigeria after the insurance company must have indemnify the owner. This brings me to asking if using insurance is mandatory in the US and its there a law created to enforce that because I've read that insurance is a BIG BUSINESS in the US
radautoworks:

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Mizwisdom(f): 8:48pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

I can't believe floods like these happen in America, what is the main cause?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2018
Backfornow:

Ive got more questions.
The money that was raised for Houston victims, did it get to the people who needed it?
Since youve been through so many floods are you required to have flood insurance and does that factor in the affordability of owning a home there?

I know my best friend got some so some of it at least did. I applied for some because the water caused some water damage in the walls through the chimney but didn't get it since I was in Nigeria when it was time for inspection.
You are not required to have flood insurance but would be stupid not to. No, I don't see how that affects home affordability except maybe areas that don't flood may be in more demand but I don't see that pattern. People are simply raising their houses 5-10ft with insurance money.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:07pm On Aug 27, 2018
Dremca:
I believe this car will soon be auctioned as a result of flood and may make its way to Nigeria after the insurance company must have indemnify the owner. This brings me to asking if using insurance is mandatory in the US and its there a law created to enforce that because I've read that insurance is a BIG BUSINESS in the USquote author=radautoworks post=70663177]

Of course all those cars are in Nigeria! If you mean Auto insurance, it is mandatory in Texas. Two offences of driving without insurance and in addition to steep fines each time, you lose your license. There is no separate flood insurance for cars. Just liability (the state minimum to cover the other party if you are at fault) or comprehensive insurance (covers any and everything pretty much including flood). This is also one of those things that is affected by your credit rating.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:10pm On Aug 27, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Global warming. Houston wasn't designed for water like this because there never was water like this. Same thing that happened in Lekki last year. Funny story, was in Lekki flood, neighbors flooded we didn't, few weeks later was in Houston flood, neighbors flooded we didn't. wink God is good

5 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 27, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Yes they do happen. The major cause for this case last year and in Louisiana awhile back are tropical storms or what is called hurricanes. Global warming seems to be a factor.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Global warming. Houston wasn't designed for water like this because there never was water like this. Same thing that happened in Lekki last year. Funny story, was in Lekki flood, neighbors flooded we didn't, few weeks later was in Houston flood, neighbors flooded we didn't. wink God is good

I didnt realize that this past weekend was the anniversary for Hurricane Harvey.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Hurruicane Harvey in Houston and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans are the worst costliest hurricanes in US history.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2018
Backfornow:

I didnt realize that this past weekend was the anniversary for Hurricane Harvey.

Yup. And unlike Puerto Rico, you couldn't tell it happened if you weren't here when it d did.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2018
Backfornow:

Hurruicane Harvey in Houston and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and Houston are the worst costliest hurricanes in US history.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Yup. And unlike Puerto Rico, you couldn't tell it happened if you weren't here when it d did.

We saw quite a bit of people migrating from Puerto Rico in my state when that hurricane hit.
In my area we dont worry about hurricanes, our fears are tornadoes or what is also known as cyclones and in the winter time blizzards.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 9:48pm On Aug 27, 2018
What natural disaster does the west coast area suffer
Backfornow:

We saw quite a bit of people migrating from Puerto Rico in my state when that hurricane hit.
In my area we dont worry about hurricanes, our fears are tornadoes or what is also known as cyclones and in the winter time blizzards.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 27, 2018
Dremca:
What natural disaster does the west coast area suffer

Earthquakes
Drought which causes wildfires.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2018
Snow doesn't seem to fall there, could there be a reason for that.
Backfornow:

Earthquakes
Drought which causes wildfires.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 27, 2018
Explains US climate types.
You can read all of this or just skip to the map

Köppen climate types of the US
The climate of the United States varies due to differences in latitude, and a range of geographic features, including mountains and deserts. West of the 100th meridian, much of the US is semi-arid to desert in the far southwestern US, while a Mediterranean climate prevails along the California coast. East of the 100th meridian, the climate is humid continental in northern areas (locations above 40 north latitude), to humid temperate in the central and middle Atlantic coast regions, to humid subtropical in the Gulf and south Atlantic regions. Southern Florida is tropical, as are Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands. Higher-elevation areas of the Rocky Mountains, the Wasatch, Sierra Nevada, and Cascade Range are alpine. Coastal areas of Oregon and Washington have an oceanic climate. The state of Alaska, on the northwestern corner of the North American continent, is largely dominated by a subarctic climate, but with a subpolar oceanic climate in the southeast (Alaska Panhandle), southwestern peninsula and Aleutian Islands, and a polar climate in the north.

The primary drivers of weather in the contiguous United States are the seasonal change in the solar angle, the migration north/south of the subtropical highs, and the seasonal change in the position of the polar jet stream.

In the Northern Hemisphere summer the subtropical high pressure systems move northward and closer to the United States mainland. In the Atlantic Ocean, the Bermuda High creates a south-southwest flow of warm, humid air over the eastern, southern and central United States - resulting in warm to hot temperatures, high humidity and occasional to frequent thunderstorm activity. In the Pacific Ocean high pressure builds toward the California coast, resulting in a northwesterly airflow creating the sunny, dry, and stable weather conditions prevalent along the West Coast in summer.

In the Northern Hemisphere winter, the subtropical highs retreat southward. The polar jet stream (and associated conflict zone between cold, dry air masses from Canada and warm, moist air masses from the Gulf of Mexico) drops further southward into the United States - bringing major rain, ice and snow events, and much more variable temperatures, with rapid temperature rises and falls not uncommon. Areas in the southern US (Florida, the Gulf Coast, the Desert Southwest, and southern California) however, often have more stable weather, as the polar jet stream's impact does not usually reach that far south.

Weather systems, be they high-pressure systems (anticyclones), low-pressure systems (cyclones) or fronts (boundaries between air masses of differing temperature, humidity and most commonly, both) are faster-moving and more intense in the winter/colder months than in the summer/warmer months, when the belt of lows and storms generally moves into southern Canada. The Gulf of Alaska is the origination area of many storms that enter the United States. Such "North Pacific lows" enter the US through the Pacific Northwest, then move eastward across the northern Rocky Mountains, northern Great Plains, upper Midwest, Great Lakes and New England states. Across the central states from late fall to spring, "Panhandle hook" storms move from the central Rockies into the Oklahoma/Texas panhandle areas, then northeast toward the Great Lakes. They generate unusually large temperature contrasts, and often bring copious Gulf moisture northward, resulting sometimes in cold conditions and possibly-heavy snow or ice north and west of the storm track, and warm conditions, heavy rains and potentially-severe thunderstorms south and east of the storm track - often simultaneously. Across the northern states in winter usually from Montana eastward, "Alberta clipper" storms track east and bring light to moderate snowfalls from the Great Lakes to New England, and often, windy and severe Arctic outbreaks behind them. When winter-season Canadian cold air masses drop unusually far southward, "Gulf lows" can develop in or near the Gulf of Mexico, then track eastward or northeastward across the Southern states, or nearby Gulf or South Atlantic waters. They sometimes bring rain, but can bring snow or ice across the South, mostly in interior or northern areas.

In the cold season (generally November to March), most precipitation occurs in conjunction with organized low-pressure systems and associated fronts. In the summer, storms are much more localized, with short-duration thunderstorms common in many areas east of the 100th meridian. In the warm season, storm systems affecting a large area are less frequent, and weather conditions are more solar {sun} controlled, with the greatest chance for thunderstorm and severe weather activity during peak heating hours, mostly between 3 PM and 9 PM local time. From May to August especially, often-overnight mesoscale-convective-system (MCS) thunderstorm complexes, usually associated with frontal activity, can deliver significant to flooding rainfall amounts from the Dakotas/Nebraska eastward across Iowa/Minnesota to the Great Lakes states. From late summer into fall (mostly August to October), tropical cyclones (hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions) sometimes approach or cross the Gulf and South Atlantic states, bringing high winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges (often topped with battering waves) to coastal areas. More rarely, tropical cyclones can affect the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states, such as with the "Long Island Express" hurricane in September 1938, and Superstorm Sandy in October 2012.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_States

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 10:49pm On Aug 27, 2018
Izognok:

What about how does the world view the unguarded and leaking mouth president of the country you want to go? Do you think as terrible as the world makes it look like, that Nigerians can elect such a man who does not know how to talk? And we think they are perfect. Lol!

I have read many of your comments and I like your zeal for success. However, this kind of question should be avoided. Please, kindly focus on the good side of your country. The US you want to go has got her own issues and bad sides too.

The US is a land of opportunities, but Nigeria is a land with hidden treasures. Opportunities are common in the US, but in Nigeria you will get treasures. Treasures are uncommon. So, when you get there, do yourself a favor: Find a way back home to hunt for the treasures in the future. Treasures are rare and scarce, but they last very long. Every Jack/Jerry thrives where there are abundant opportunities, but very few go after treasures.

Let me give you examples of the American citizens who are already positioning themselves to hunt for treasures in Nigeria.

1. Beyonce was in Nigeria one time, and she sang our national anthem without reading from the paper. She knows every Nigerian who attended elementary or high school in Nigeria can sing it by heart. So, she had to learn it by heart. We all know our national anthem, but do most Americans know theirs?

2. Beyonce has promoted the Ikorodu kid dancers many times on her twitter and IG pages. Ikorodu kid dancers are kids based in Lagos.

3. Drake and Wizkid Collaboration

4. Diddy and Wizkid Collaboraion.

5. Just yesterday, Janet Jackson released the visual of her latest singles. Check out the number of views under 24 hours. Check the youtube link I have included below. Janet and her dancers wore ankara (Nigerian attire, I think it is from Yoruba). And can you see those men who opened the song with the yoruba talking drum? That is one of the main heritage of Yoruba. The talking drum cannot be seen anywhere else without talking about the Yoruba culture. It is a yoruba drum from ages. And it talks. Any sound you can make in yoruba, it will give you. Even Ron Kenoly and Don Moen used it in one of concerts in Nigeria. Can you hear what the talking drum was saying/singing?

"Asiko ope, Jene ti de"
English translation: Thanksgiving season, Jene (Janet) is here. Jene is a way of saying Janet in Yoruba.

OK these people are entertainers. I agree. What about the young billionaire and boss of facebook, Mark Zuckerberg who was here to invest heavily in digital business in Nigeria recently. Mark walked, jogged in Yaba, and not even in Lekki, Ikoyi, or Victoria Island. Yaba. Do you know that Lord Luggard lived in railway compound in Yaba? Yaba Vs Ikoyi. My brother, Mark is a treasure hunter. He found his treasures in Yaba and not in Bourdillon, where Jagaban resides.

And let me remind you Emmanuel Macron, the French president who was in Lagos recently. Where did he go after saluting our president? Fela's Shrine - of course to go and feel Afrobeat. Fela Anikulapo Kuti is a treasure even after his death. Everyone asked Macron why the Shrine? That was when he said he was an intern at the French embassy some years back, he lived in Lagos for about a year, and he discovered tresures in Nigeria.

Talking of Afrobeat, Janet's song was introduced with Afrobeat. Wizkid has taking afrobeat to the US too. I will not be surprised if the song Diddy is directing for Wizkid presently has afrobeat touch. Do you know that people are beginning to call him Oluwa-Diddy? Adding the yoruba prefix to his name. Lol And let us not forget that Femi and Seun, the boys (children) of Fela the legend are masters of Afrobeat, and they have performed all round the world. I remebered Alicia Key's tweet when she hailed Femi that she was feeling the vibe of one of his singles. Lol.

I can go on and on.

No matter how we see Nigeria, this nation is great. Let us leave common opportunities and Silicon Valley for common people. Great men hunt for treasures. When you mention Nigeria, mention treasures.

The first treasure in Nigeria is her people. Dremca, you are one. The truth is that the US government knows too that we are treasures. And I believe that it is why they are not rigid with their visa interviews. 2 mins interview. Is that the way to conduct an interview? They know that no matter how terrible any Nigerian they give a visa, there is high probability that he/she is a gift. I do not support scams, but I am telling you who we are. We are treasures.

Until we know who we are, then, we will be celebrated. Not saying you should not pursue your dream in the US, but just know that Nigerians are treasures. Please, stop asking questions like this. Just focus on what you want to achieve.

Blessings!

Janet Jackson's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YRf41JfCI&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for your post. I totally agree with it. Nigeria has a LOTS OF WORK to do but America is not the greatest on Earth, it has LOTS of problems.
Before anything , you are viewed as a black person, which has negative connections to it in America especially. Another poster mentioned that as long as you behave yourself, you should be good. Which is false. There are many law abiding black people in this country but they are still heavily discriminated against daily. That why I like LeBron James, one of the few successful black celebrities who keeps it real. He successful basketball player but even with all his success he know thats some people may still view him as the n word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLGy8VkWM4

Racism comes in different forms and sometimes it may not be apparent, one has to shine their eyes and be careful but speak up if need be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:07am On Aug 28, 2018
[quote author=Backfornow post=70654614]

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 28, 2018
Mobilia:

Hi,
Please excuse me here for a moment, but my heart isn't right with what has occurred over the past two days or so, involving a post from the moniker, Izognok (who has chosen for some reason to use my full real name backwards and a small portion of my last name) here on the thread on Saturday.

I don't want to start any trouble or mess, as I know that you don't like being around that, but, clearly conversation has gone on behind closed doors and the result is this. You should continue helping people as that is a good thing. But when you are calling people "rude" and "mean-spirited", I would just ask you to please know a whole story before making a judgment.

I am just wanting you to know that I have "pm-ed" you and Dremca (someone who I haven't said more than 1 sentence to around 3 months ago in another thread), but who has suddenly chose to "unfollow" me.
If you choose to answer or not answer the "pm", I respect you guys' decisions. I would like to live peacefully with all people.
Thank you for your time...and I won't say anything more here. Apologies again for this derailment.

By the way, the moniker that he is using is my real name spelled backwards...."Ngozi"

Its all good. That is all I will say about it. Welcome to the thread.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 2:57am On Aug 28, 2018
Off topic but funny so i wanted to share. There is another hilarious one i couldn't find about Houston being closed so people please stop moving here because it's so attractive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98d0ym8OOVs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 3:06am On Aug 28, 2018
Backfornow:

Its all good. That is all I will say about it. Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for welcoming me.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 3:43am On Aug 28, 2018
Backfornow:
News made today that the NAFTA trade agreement has been renogiatied. This agreement was between US, Canada, and Mexico, made in the 1990s. For now this agreement removes Canada, which will be interesting to watch since Canada is the US second largest trade partner. The US imports oil and wheat mainly from Canada.

Translation: Possible higher prices

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/27/mexican-official-says-nafta-talks-with-us-have-concluded.html

Told you. This guy's simply to inept to deal with NAFTA. He's made North Korea worse too.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/trump-nafta-deal/index.html
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Mizwisdom(f): 5:01am On Aug 28, 2018
Backfornow:

Hurruicane Harvey in Houston and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans are the worst costliest hurricanes in US history.

Stay safe sis
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 28, 2018
Babyvet:

Thank you for your post. I totally agree with it. Nigeria has a LOTS OF WORK to do but America is not the greatest on Earth, it has LOTS of problems.
Before anything , you are viewed as a black person, which has negative connections to it in America especially. Another poster mentioned that as long as you behave yourself, you should be good. Which is false. There are many law abiding black people in this country but they are still heavily discriminated against daily. That why I like LeBron James, one of the few successful black celebrities who keeps it real. He successful basketball player but even with all his success he know thats some people may still view him as the n word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLGy8VkWM4

Racism comes in different forms and sometimes it may not be apparent, one has to shine their eyes and be careful but speak up if need be.

Thank you. This thread might be one that really shows you that not every gift comes from the heart of the giver with a good intention. It might be a lure. The cartel is beginning to change strategy. Everyone should just be observant. We be naija naooooo. My own is that the intent of this thread must be the final destination at the end of the day.

Make una dey watch ooo. Where is Wale Adenuga?

This is Super Story,
A life of strife and sorrow,
This is super story of good food and housing,
For the fishes drown and even die of thirst,
This is super story,
A life of precious stones and good taste,
This is super story!

The cartel will unfold the story behind the scene itself. Make u na dey watch ooooooo! A bi u na no dey see as dem dey call names now? Just wait, be observant, and you will see clearly.

#NaijaForLife
#ToUpHoldHerHonorAndGlory
#NaijaForLife

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
Mobilia:

Thank you for welcoming me.

Pm replied.

Disclaimer, I normally do not reply PMs.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Stay safe sis

Thanks, you too.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Womenrep(f): 12:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
Hello
I have a friend working in the bank industry and wants to travel here. Her major worry is adjusting and if going into nursing will be better than what she's currently doing. What are the challenges and is the pasture greener here? I am just afew months here and I can't necessarily advice her much. Share your experiences.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (73) (Reply)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.