Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,455 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) (37570 Views)

Elephant Rampages Through South African Village, Killed & Eaten (Photos) / Graphic Photo Of A Decapitated Elephant: Animal Cruelty Should Stop / Mother Elephant Stamps a Crocodile To Death As It Stalks Her Calf(Pix, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 23, 2018
uuzba:

Global warming things.
My Great grandfather killed a lion in Ughelli, Delta state around 1900-1910
I didn't even know lions reached far down south as that.

Yeah... Even my mum killed a Dinosaur in the '80s... grin
Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by bibe(m): 1:28am On Aug 24, 2018
seborrhic:
Elephants in Iboland and Nigeria?Strange
Must have strayed from East Africa or the Sahel,hence its wide nature after reaching SouthEast Nigeria after such a treacherous journey.

Not really, elephants were once 'indigenous' in Igboland known as Enyi in the native language. The tusks were also highly valued and were issued to men who attained the highest chieftaincy titles. It's still issued to titled men in Igboland today.

Sadly, deforestation and population growth has all but exterminated a lot of these animals including lions and leopards.
Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by seborrhic: 6:43am On Aug 24, 2018
bibe:

Not really, elephants were once 'indigenous' in Igboland known as Enyi in the native language. The tusks were also highly valued and were issued to men who attained the highest chieftaincy titles. It's still issued to titled men in Igboland today.

Sadly, deforestation and population growth has all but exterminated a lot of these animals including lions and leopards.
Interesting.
Elephants documented in the East,SouthWest and the North,what a wide life the country would have had.
Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by odigbosky(m): 9:39am On Aug 24, 2018
we have 2 kinds of elephants. the rainforest kind found in south east asia and parts of west africa and the savannah elephants found in east Africa. There are stories of how elephants were killed and hunted for in Benin and other parts of the country. Have you ever wondered why so many ivory tusk we collected in Benin during the invasion. There are still elephants in southern Nigeria but they are almost extinct now
Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by uuzba(m): 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
LordLanister:

Yeah... Even my mum killed a Dinosaur in the '80s... grin
Unfortunately for you, this was recalled and rewritten by my grandfather in his autobiography.
Did your grandfather write an autobiography?
Would you like me to lend you the book?
Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by Kay17: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2018
campusflavour:
ABIA STATE HAD ALOT OF ELEPHANTS IN THE BEFORE THE 60S THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED ENYIMBA, ESPECIALLY ABA, NY GRAND FATHER TOLD ME THAT THEN HUMAN USED TO TRAVEL VERY FAR WITH LEG THAT WHEN YOU ARE PASSING ABIA STATE YOU MUST BE VERY WATCHFUL OF ELEPHANTS

And the elephants swore never to cross over the borders of Abia State, right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Terrorist' Elephant Killed In Ohafia, Abia By Hunter In 1966 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 24, 2018
uuzba:

Unfortunately for you, this was recalled and rewritten by my grandfather in his autobiography.
Did your grandfather write an autobiography?
Would you like me to lend you the book?

Hmmmmmmn. I just remembered... I read about it in uni... grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Will The Sky Look Like If Planets Were As Close To Us As The Moon? / Earthquake Causes Panic In Saki, Oyo Community / Hacker, Graham Ivan Clark Pleads Guilty To Celeb Twitter Hack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.