Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates (24581 Views)

Paytv Price Hike; A Better Alternative Is Here. / Bbnaija : Nengi Shuns Ozo, Says Her Heart Is With Someone Else / Bbnaija Retains Ebuka As Host For 2019 Tv Reality Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by metroblogger: 9:29am On Aug 25, 2018
Satellite service provider DStv has continued to implement its new bouquet rates despite court order restraining the action.

DStv is a Sub-Saharan African direct broadcast satellite service owned by MultiChoice. The service launched in 1995, provides multiple channels and services to its more than 11.9 million subscribers.

An official of DStv, who declined to give his name because they had been asked by the company not to speak on the issue, confirmed to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday that subscribers still pay the increased rates.

“The case is being reviewed at the moment and there are some information that I cannot disclose.

“But as it is, for all of the DStv subscriptions, the price still remains at its increased rate price list.

“I do not have any information as to how long it will take to review the prices but the case is being reviewed in the court with the business and legal experts,” he said.

In July, MultiChoice raised the subscription rate for the DSty Premium package from N14,700 to N15,800, Compact Plus from N9,900 to N10,650, Compact from N6,300 to N6,800.

The Family package went from N3,800 to N4,000, and Access from N1,900 to N2,000 which was implemented from Aug 1.

However, on Monday, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba granted an injunction restraining the video entertainment and Internet Company from implementing the new rates.

The court also restrained MultiChoice from any conduct capable of interfering with the regulatory process of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC).

The restraining order was issued in respect of Suit No FHC/ABJ/CS/894/18 brought before the court by the CPC following public outcry.

In March 2015, DStv announced a 20 per cent increase for all its satellite pay TV bouquets in Nigeria, which took effect from April 1, 2015.

An order of interim injunction restraining Multichoice from enforcing the planned increase was granted by Justice C.J. Aneke of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

Inspite of the ruling, DStv went on to implement the increased prices with the defence that the Court order was granted on April 2 after price increase had taken effect on April 1, 2015.

The Director-General of CPC, Mr Babatunde Irukera in a statement on Friday unveiled a special channel for receiving complaints for customers who could not renew their subscriptions at old prices.

“The Council is setting up a special channel for receiving complaints for this purpose.

“This is in view of the continuing and increasing complaints that consumers are unsuccessful in renewing subscription in compliance with the order of the court, even after service of the order upon Multichoice.

“As such, any consumer who has, or is experiencing this challenge should please send an email to multichoicecompliance@cpc.gov.ng, stating relevant information.

“The information should include smart card number, name, telephone number, date and time of failed attempt to pay, supporting same with relevant evidence such as a screenshot or document (where necessary),” Irukera said.

http://www.metronaija.ng/price-hike-dstv-shuns-court-injunction-retains-new-rates-2/

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Donald95(m): 9:33am On Aug 25, 2018
Good

Paedophile Muhammadu Buhari started it. He weakened our judiciary by flouting Court orders.

Instead of foolish nigerian Government to use this opportunity to encourage indigenous satellite providers to overtake this DSTV, They rather choose to chook eye in another persons business

95 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by wristbangle: 9:36am On Aug 25, 2018
In SouthAfrica, DSTV is not among the top TV satellite brands as competitors offers quality service and reasonable price to them. It's only in Nigeria where nepotism and corruption is having a field day they can practice this unlawful act of milking the masses and it's courtesy of the orangutans/clueless barbarians in power.

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price would have reduced to N1000 or be forced to shut down. If not for the likes of Glo who brought per secs billing, Money Taking Network ABI EmptyHen will still be billing us per min.

Useless thieves.

177 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by tolufase: 9:48am On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:
In SouthAfrica, DSTV is not among the top TV satellite brands as competitors offers quality service and reasonable price to them. It's only in Nigeria where nepotism and corruption is having a field day they can practice this unlawful act of milking the masses and it's courtesy of the orangutans/clueless barbarians in power.

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price will reduced to N1000 or forced to evacuate the country.

Useless thieves.
. You're on point bros. The high level of corruption has practically made impossible for competitors to survive in that sector. That was how mtn came in and subjected us to various forms of extortion not until glo came and introduced per second.

58 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by LibertyRep: 9:56am On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price would have reduced to N1000 or be forced to closed down. If[b] not for the likes of Glo who brought per secs billing, Money Taking Network ABI EmptyHen will still be billing us per mins. [color=#000000][/color][/b]

Useless thieves.

The bolded is why I have soft spot for Glo eventhough they misbehave sometimes.
Competition is the panacea

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by IMASTEX: 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2018
What do you expect when the only interest of the supposed politicians are always about election all year round.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by nairaman66(m): 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2018
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by ClearFlair: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by akeentech(m): 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2018
I pity myself, someone should please console me. If you know you know
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by backnbeta(f): 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2018
What will force their price down is competition. Presently, they can do and undo, they have no worthy competition.

6 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by AmazonTopaz(f): 3:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
I wonder how one company from southafrica would have the guts to do as they like when a competent court has said otherwise.

This is see finish and I blame Nigerian leaders for this.They can't try this in their country.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Yankee101: 3:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
It's high time we sent DSTV out of the country

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by adewumiopeyemi(m): 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2018
Useless people even there call centeragent in Nigeria . They pay them 45k.. which way Nigeria..... embarassed embarassed I gues. Because they haven't have more tvcable challenging them..

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price would have reduced to N1000 or be forced to shut down. If not for the likes of Glo who brought per secs billing, Money Taking Network ABI EmptyHen will still be billing us per min.

Useless thieves.
did they force you to watch the dstv
Kwese Dey
Tstv de
Multi TV de (free o)
My TV de
Star times full grand

Why are you now crying crocodile tears

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
I don’t know which court granted that kind of injunction . This country sef

Is it by force to use DSTV? Nigerians need to know when to chill, it’s free enterprise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Teewhy2: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
This is what happens when our leaders don't respect law, visitors will also do same knowing that they can bribe their way through.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
Wetin concern court. Did court pay tv rights or operational costs gor dem ni. Silly court

2 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:48pm On Aug 25, 2018
tolufase:
. You're on point bros. The high level of corruption has practically made impossible for competitors to survive in that sector. That was how mtn came in and subjected us to various forms of extortion not until glo came and introduced per second.
wetin comcine corruption with selling market
Did they force you to buy dstv?
Na WA o
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by udemzyudex(m): 3:48pm On Aug 25, 2018
Donald95:
Good

Paedophile Muhammadu Buhari started it. He weakened our judiciary by flouting Court orders.

Instead of foolish nigerian Government to use this opportunity to encourage indigenous satellite providers to overtake this DSTV, They rather choose to chook eye in another persons business

They are also benefiting from them, you expect them to bribe all this Senators and other government officials and still obey court orders? Naa
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Imustreturn(m): 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2018
Nigeria is dead

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by dPriv: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2018
Surprisingly, guys are finding cheaper ways out.

2 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by SarkinYarki: 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2018
Hmm even though I think it's wrong for consumers to use poorly thought our injunctions to fight pricing in a non essential market I think DSTV should have at least obeyed the injunction and obtained another ruling to quash that injunctiion but well we are in Buhari Era where court orders are brazenly ignored by the dull president and his staff...And as for the Nigerian consumer it's time for them to learn how use the true power they have to reject any pricing by refusing to pay for such prices and kill demand for such a non essential service and watch as DSTV never takes them for a ride again .

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Bizibi(m): 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2018
I will need to get tstv and ctl
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2018
Sad how this government has turned the judiciary into a laughing stock.

Videoscribe for whiteboard and tutorials now included in the training. Enter thread ↓

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by tstx(m): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2018
Them know say our courts only sabi bark
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Humblega(m): 3:57pm On Aug 25, 2018
We ar living in a lawless nation. Even a company owns by foreigner is shunning order frm d court of d land.

To make it worst, d owner is frm SA. Where dy keep killing foreigners .

Multichoice has 2 choice:

* Agree with court order

Or

* shut ur company

Shikena

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by popcykaylah(m): 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2018
New price wey me don pay this month and I go still pay next month..from 6,300 to 6,800. If no be ball wey I dey watch for house .. it's not worth it .. then go dey show 1965 movies for action movies imagine.. not thier faults though,Nigeria self no get bearing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by OlaAshawo: 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2018
angry

Imagine multinational disobeying our court no thanks to the kunu sipping terrorist

Thunder scatter Buhari Insha'Allah amin
Thunder scatter Buhari Insha'Allah amin
Thunder scatter aisha masha Allah amin

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by babajeje123(m): 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2018
Me I no dey use dstv or gotv again. I don migrate to ordinary antenna of 5k. As long as I can watch channels, I'm ok.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by ollah2: 3:59pm On Aug 25, 2018
LibertyRep:

The bolded is why I have soft spot for Glo eventhough they misbehave sometimes.
Competition is the panacea

I can recall Mtn saying, per second billing isn't possible. Glo started if and here we are now.

2 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Boscolo: 3:59pm On Aug 25, 2018
The law court in Nigeria is now a thing of joke. No one respect the court anymore. The president refused to obey the court when it granted some people bail.Ajimobi refused to obey the fact that a case was in court but went ahead to do what pleases him. Dino refused to turn up in court , now a forieng company has decided to go against the court order. This precedent set by our politicians will ruin this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by babajeje123(m): 3:59pm On Aug 25, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
did they force you to watch the dstv
Kwese Dey
Tstv de
Multi TV de (free o)
My TV de
Star times full grand

Why are you now crying crocodile tears
Abi o. Even ordinary antenna dey

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Most Boring TV Shows Currently Airing / Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) / Nollywood-Military Movie, Eagle Wings Premieres In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.