Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (445103 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:43am On Jul 01, 2021
mojounited:
Good evening Gurus,

I'd love a good review and piece of advice on which vehicle to go for - a 2014 Toyota Corolla SE or a 2014 Toyota Avensis.

Corolla good on mpg, parts available but robber and vandal magnet

Avensis average on mpg, not robber or vandals magnet but expensive parts
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by eeewise(m): 10:53am On Jul 01, 2021
Can anyone help get a used lexus es330 2004/2005 upwards
Clean neatly used
Budget 1.5 to 1.8
Buy and drive

Or toyota yaris sedan 2008 upwards
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by mojounited(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2021
nurey:

Noted. Many thanks @nurey
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:22am On Jul 02, 2021
eeewise:
Can anyone help get a used lexus es330 2004/2005 upwards
Clean neatly used
Budget 1.5 to 1.8
Buy and drive

Or toyota yaris sedan 2008 upwards

Go to jiji on search button input Lexus ES330 there and pick all options with your budget bracket.

Go with a mechanic to inspect the sample and pick one with minimal issues and rust free.

Lexus ES300 and 330 look indentical but for a novice, ES300 radiator cap is by the engine side while the 330 has radiator cap attached to the radiator away from engine

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dremca(m): 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2021
nurey:

Does it mean that cars are robber's magnet have more resale value when stolen and resold. Is honda civic a robber's magnet?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by enlady(f): 5:13am On Jul 03, 2021
Pls I need referral for a good mechanic for vehicle pre-purchase inspection in Jos
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:23am On Jul 04, 2021
Dremca:
Does it mean that cars are robber's magnet have more resale value when stolen and resold. Is honda civic a robber's magnet?

Corolla is a robbers magnet because it has a good reliability index infact most Toyota and Lexus products have very good reliability index which translate to a good resale value.

Honda civic has a good reliability index, average resale value but not a robbers magnet because Honda incorporate good security into their electrical system
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dremca(m): 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2021
nurey:

Corolla is a robbers magnet because it has a good reliability index infact most Toyota and Lexus products have very good reliability index which translate to a good resale value.

Honda civic has a good reliability index, average resale value but not a robbers magnet because Honda incorporate good security into their electrical system
Please tell me more about security in honda electrical system because I'm considering getting a Honda civic due to good ground clearance and fuel efficiency I read online.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Advocatesam(f): 11:39am On Jul 05, 2021
Kindly help me pick (Fuel economy should not be a factor)

2006 Acura TL vs 2010 Honda Accord (i4 engine)

Determinants
1) Performance

2) Dependability

3) Reliability

4) Cost of parts (Engine, Transmission and others

5) Luxury

I saw the 2006 Acura TL on "best car" list on carcomplaints.com the reason I picked 2006 in the model range of 2004-2008
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:40am On Jul 05, 2021
Dremca:

Please tell me more about security in honda electrical system because I'm considering getting a Honda civic due to good ground clearance and fuel efficiency I read online.

Honda vehicles cannot be stolen whole or by just dulicating the key because it has sensor incorporated in each key.

Only sophisticated criminals can steal it and believe me no sophisticated criminal would steal a.civic.

Honda civic is fuel efficient with it's 1.8L engine and small size

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:46am On Jul 05, 2021
Advocatesam:

Determinants
1) Performance

2) Dependability

3) Reliability

5) Luxury

I saw the 2006 Acura TL on "best car" list on carcomplaints.com the reason I picked 2006 in the model range of 2004-2008

The TL is no slouch even though the Accord is light years ahead. The TL is a solid vehicle especially if you are buying one with a 3.5L V6 rather than the 3.2L version. The type S TL had always been known to be reliable engine and transmission wise than the 3.2L version.

If you can't get a TL with 3.5L then an accord would do but buy a 2.4L i4 rather than 2.0L i4.

Accord parts are more expensive especially engine and transmission than the TL but TL body parts are very very very very expensive grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Advocatesam(f): 12:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
nurey:

The TL is no slouch even though the Accord is light years ahead. The TL is a solid vehicle especially if you are buying one with a 3.5L V6 rather than the 3.2L version. The type S TL had always been known to be reliable engine and transmission wise than the 3.2L version.

If you can't get a TL with 3.5L then an accord would do but buy a 2.4L i4 rather than 2.0L i4.

Accord parts are more expensive especially engine and transmission than the TL but TL body parts are very very very very expensive grin

Thanks for your prompt response. The type S is only available in 2007 and 2008 version but outcome of reviews I did online favoured the 3.2 TL 2006 model though on US soil which may not be fully applicable in Nigeria.

The "very" raise to power 4 is scaring, maybe I should just go for the Accord though it seems the TL is more luxurious with cat life than the Accord.

Thanks once again sir
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dremca(m): 3:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
Wow. Thank you so much for this priceless information. I was even considering honda civic and toyota rav4 and with these great information, I have to switch my attention to honda crv.
nurey:

Honda vehicles cannot be stolen whole or by just dulicating the key because it has sensor incorporated in each key.

Only sophisticated criminals can steal it and believe me no sophisticated criminal would steal a.civic.

Honda civic is fuel efficient with it's 1.8L engine and small size

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 3:48pm On Jul 05, 2021
Advocatesam:

Determinants
1) Performance

2) Dependability

3) Reliability

5) Luxury

the Acura is the luxury version of the Honda. So do you want more "luxury" even if it's older or a newer car even if it's the lower version?

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Advocatesam(f): 5:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
Thanks for your priceless comment.

I prefer the luxury but the "Very" expensive raise to power 4 is really scaring

Age-wise, the Accord is newer but most of the gadgets in the older & luxury version are not available in the 2010 Accord
radautoworks:
the Acura is the luxury version of the Honda. So do you want more "luxury" even if it's older or a newer car even if it's the lower version?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by eeewise(m): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
Pls I need reviews on a used Toyota sienna 2006 model in terms of
Fuel consumption
Maintenance and availability of parts

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dadabashua1(m): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
eeewise:
Pls I need reviews on a used Toyota sienna 2006 model in terms of
Fuel consumption
Maintenance and availability of parts
just know Sienna comes in V6 version only,2006 is the 3.3l version,so don't expect a 'very' Good fuel consumption rate,the environmental protection agency rates it MPG at 17/24 estimated consumption rate for city and highway, parts are available, most sweetable for highway drive,reasons why some use it for inter state transportation,but overall its a good car especially for the 'BIG'family.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 9:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
Advocatesam:
Thanks for your priceless comment.

I prefer the luxury but the "Very" expensive raise to power 4 is really scaring

Age-wise, the Accord is newer but most of the gadgets in the older & luxury version are not available in the 2010 Accord

That might be an exaggeration but then again that was for BODY parts. So unless you plan to do demolition derby you'll be fine. Both cars are good. Is this your first car? If so, I'm partial to luxury but would go with the newer one unless mileage was high
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by eeewise(m): 10:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
Very good fuel
At least it will be manageable to use
dadabashua1:
just know Sienna comes in V6 version only,2006 is the 3.3l version,so don't expect a 'very' Good fuel consumption rate,the environmental protection agency rates it MPG at 17/24 estimated consumption rate for city and highway, parts are available, most sweetable for highway drive,reasons why some use it for inter state transportation,but overall its a good car especially for the 'BIG'family.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Advocatesam(f): 10:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
Not my first car but it Honda or nothing, reason why I am contemplating the luxury version of Honda.

radautoworks:

That might be an exaggeration but then again that was for BODY parts. So unless you plan to do demolition derby you'll be fine. Both cars are good. Is this your first car? If so, I'm partial to luxury but would go with the newer one unless mileage was high
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 11:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
Advocatesam:
Not my first car but it Honda or nothing, reason why I am contemplating the luxury version of Honda.

cool. Oh, and I meant actually car mileage not gas mileage. If they have similar odometer readings I would get the Acura personally.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Advocatesam(f): 6:56am On Jul 06, 2021
radautoworks:
cool. Oh, and I meant actually car mileage not gas mileage. If they have similar odometer readings I would get the Acura personally.

The actual mileage of the Acura is 150069 miles (verified through Vin check) while the Honda Accord is 139,733.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by loveson(m): 9:39am On Jul 06, 2021
Good morning house. I have seen so many car have steering rack/power steering problems and too expensive to replace. Sedans like Lexus GS, Lexus IS, etc. Is this problem caused by water or no? Secondly, are there sedans that are not prone to this issue?

cc: HeavelyBang
Nurey
Philadelphia
and others
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by gmacnoms(m): 10:12am On Jul 06, 2021
Jamal64:
I just got a C300 and I will like to know what I need to do first off on the car before driving.

Do I need to change the oil and other stuffs?
What is the recommended oil for servicing and so many other input will help
how is it going? In terms of maintenance. What’s it like? I’m about to get one soon. 2010 model
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 10:17am On Jul 06, 2021
loveson:
Good morning house. I have seen so many car have steering rack/power steering problems and too expensive to replace. Sedans like Lexus GS, Lexus IS, etc. Is this problem caused by water or no? Secondly, are there sedans that are not prone to this issue?

cc: HeavelyBang
Nurey
Philadelphia
and others

Power steering is a system of component parts mainly the pump, valve and pulley. So, power steering-related problems can occur for a variety of reasons directly linked with individual or collective parts failures including but not limited to leakage, wrong fluid, engine failure or driving on a low fluid for a long time. In most cases, it seems to be a bad pump or a leaking valve.
About 3 months ago, I had to seal the valve component of my Honda Accord power steering system. Since then, it has never given me any issues. Prior to the sealing, I always top up the fluid and dealt with a messy engine bay. But now, steering is sweet and bay is clean.

It usually costs some bucks to fix any of the related power steering issues irrespective of car type (sedans, hatch back, SUV etc). I advice that you don’t drive with a failed power steering system for long because a leaking valve or a bad pulley will certainly damage the pump.

All cars have a power steering system and I’m sure you know what it means wink. However, recent models now use electric power steering system as against the previous hydraulic system. The electric is miles better and you can find that in Toyota Corollas of 2014 model year and above. I even drove a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback and it has an electric power steering system.
Just get a newer model vehicle and enjoy the electric PSS.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by loveson(m): 11:08am On Jul 06, 2021
Thank you for your detailed response. I just want to clarify that water/flood water is not one of the causes of power steering component failure

Philadelphia:

Power steering is a system of component parts mainly the pump, valve and pulley. So, power steering-related problems can occur for a variety of reasons directly linked with individual or collective parts failures including but not limited to leakage, wrong fluid, engine failure or driving on a low fluid for a long time. In most cases, it seems to be a bad pump or a leaking valve.
About 3 months ago, I had to seal the valve component of my Honda Accord power steering system. Since then, it has never given me any issues. Prior to the sealing, I always top up the fluid and dealt with a messy engine bay. But now, steering is sweet and bay is clean.

It usually costs some bucks to fix any of the related power steering issues irrespective of car type (sedans, hatch back, SUV etc). I advice that you don’t drive with a failed power steering system for long because a leaking valve or a bad pulley will certainly damage the pump.

All cars have a power steering system and I’m sure you know what it means wink. However, recent models now use electric power steering system as against the previous hydraulic system. The electric is miles better and you can find that in Toyota Corollas of 2014 model year and above. I even drove a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback and it has an electric power steering system.
Just get a newer model vehicle and enjoy the electric PSS.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2021
loveson:
Thank you for your detailed response. I just want to clarify that water/flood water is not one of the causes of power steering component failure

I won’t argue with you.
But know this:
While small amounts of water in the power steering fluid won’t damage the system because the PS fluid is hygroscopic (it can absorb little water), I just need to clarify that there are metal components in the PSS which water will damage.

Do you even know that water in the system will damage the rack?

When much water gets in, the power steering rack will definitely get damaged.
I don’t know if you know how the hydraulic mechanism works but in simple terms, it works on the principles of pressure. Where there is pressure, you most definitely will not find heat. But the presence of water in a pressurized system will generate heat. Water is a bad conductor of heat. With the system working with pressure and water is present, heat will be generated and if you have more water in the fluid, it will boil and bring about bubbles which will not be good for the hydraulic pressure. By the way, honey or glycerine can even be added to your power steering fluids and it won’t do your PSS any harm grin since they’re hygroscopic fluids.

Bros, abeg go do your research.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2021
Advocatesam:

The actual mileage of the Acura is 150069 miles (verified through Vin check) while the Honda Accord is 139,733.
the Acura has actually been driven less miles per year than the Accord. Which has the more complete service records on the VIN check?

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by loveson(m): 2:18pm On Jul 06, 2021
Thank you once again. I wasn't arguing but learning. Someone said the reasons so many Lexus GS, Lexus IS, etc have PS issues are because of poor maintenance and because the owner drives it through heavy flood water especially in Lagos. That's why I'm having a change of mind in buying a GS or IS because water dey full my area when it rains heavily...lol.
Anyways, thank you for your time

Philadelphia:

I won’t argue with you.
But know this:
While small amounts of water in the power steering fluid won’t damage the system because the PS fluid is hygroscopic (it can absorb little water), I just need to clarify that there are metal components in the PSS which water will damage.

Do you even know that water in the system will damage the rack?

When much water gets in, the power steering rack will definitely get damaged.
I don’t know if you know how the hydraulic mechanism works but in simple terms, it works on the principles of pressure. Where there is pressure, you most definitely will not find heat. But the presence of water in a pressurized system will generate heat. Water is a bad conductor of heat. With the system working with pressure and water is present, heat will be generated and if you have more water in the fluid, it will boil and bring about bubbles which will not be good for the hydraulic pressure. By the way, honey or glycerine can even be added to your power steering fluids and it won’t do your PSS any harm grin since they’re hygroscopic fluids.

Bros, abeg go do your research.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by drakeskull(m): 10:36pm On Jul 06, 2021
loveson:
Thank you once again. I wasn't arguing but learning. Someone said the reasons so many Lexus GS, Lexus IS, etc have PS issues are because of poor maintenance and because the owner drives it through heavy flood water especially in Lagos. That's why I'm having a change of mind in buying a GS or IS because water dey full my area when it rains heavily...lol.
Anyways, thank you for your time

Yes it damages it. Experienced it in my Is250 back then after driving through water
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by loveson(m): 7:30am On Jul 07, 2021
Thank you for your response

drakeskull:

Yes it damages it. Experienced it in my Is250 back then after driving through water
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by UwaMmebii(m): 9:29am On Jul 07, 2021
nurey:

Avalon 11 has a very good luxury, rare vehicle and very reliable but avalon looks like a car to be chauffeured in.

Acura TL uses premium fuel, drives lovely on road, good looking but not cheap in maintenance

ES350, luxurious, reliable, good fuel economy of the lot but pure water car, too common abeg.

Avalon 09 is just like the 11 but good for personal driving but not too executive and image boosting as the 11 model

Good morning bro, please I need your input between this two cars, I'm trying to buy car but don't know which one to choose between this my two preferential cars.

2013 Toyota Avalon
2013 Lexus GS350
They are of the same price bracket, which one from ur own perspective is good

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.