Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (449400 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 2:37pm On Aug 08, 2021
envarmp:
Good Morning House.

I want to get my FIRST CAR this month.
I’d be driving in Lagos.
I’ve never used a car so I don’t have much experience with cars.
I do not want a Sedan, I prefer an SUV.

MY BUDGET IS 2M
(Please Feel free to make suggestions above this budget, I’d greatly appreciate)

My consideration is the HONDA CR-V 2007 or 2008

I’d really appreciate experienced suggestions.
Thank you.

Your budget can't get tokunbo of that year but look for CRV 02 to 06 model years it is reliable and would fit into your budget and parts are cheap.

You can buy front wheel drive or AWD variant they are both rugged but AWD would need axle oil change from time to time.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by envarmp(m): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
nurey:

Your budget can't get tokunbo of that year but look for CRV 02 to 06 model years it is reliable and would fit into your budget and parts are cheap.

You can buy front wheel drive or AWD variant they are both rugged but AWD would need axle oil change from time to time.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Greatly appreciated.

I don’t really like where the gear was positioned in the 2002-2006 models, that’s why I skipped them to the 2007 model.
Do you advise getting a Nigerian used of the 2007 model?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:00pm On Aug 08, 2021
envarmp:

Thanks so much for your reply.
Greatly appreciated.

I don’t really like where the gear was positioned in the 2002-2006 models, that’s why I skipped them to the 2007 model.
Do you advise getting a Nigerian used of the 2007 model?

Get an Honda element instead 03 to 07 you should find one with a budget of 2m for tokunbo, it's gear position is similar to the 07 upwards CRV and it is a 02 to 06 CR-V in another clamshell.

If you don't like the element design then you must settle for naija used 07 CRV upwards
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 11:17pm On Aug 08, 2021
Openpeace:
Please guys I'm thinking of RDX OR MDX ACURA 2010 or lesser
I'm on a budget 3M

What's your take on these choices.

WhatsApp

Non! Your budget may get an American used RDX but it’s far from the 2010 MDX except you take it you to 4m (and still, it limits your options).

You may be better of with a 2005 RX330 (Nigerian used) for that amount.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 11:20pm On Aug 08, 2021
Rejuvenation26:
Good day gurus in de house

Please I want to know about de Honda civic, I learned is fuel economical just like corolla, does it also have any problem one need to watch out for? I intend buying one for bolt job, I'm working on a budget of 1.1m

Which year of de car is perfect to go for?

Since you didn’t specify a particular year, I’ll give a blanket opinion.

The civic is a great car and I can tell you that it’s an overall better car than the Corolla of same year.

From your budget, you’ll be able to get a decent 2003 - 2005 civic.
If you want a newer and a decent one, I’ll advice you raise your budget to 1.35m to 1.6m to get a reasonable 2006 - 2008 model civic. In all the cases, your budget and the budget I asked you consider will only get you a Nigerian used.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 11:22pm On Aug 08, 2021
envarmp:
Good Morning House.

I want to get my FIRST CAR this month.
I’d be driving in Lagos.
I’ve never used a car so I don’t have much experience with cars.
I do not want a Sedan, I prefer an SUV.

MY BUDGET IS 2M
(Please Feel free to make suggestions above this budget, I’d greatly appreciate)

My consideration is the HONDA CR-V 2007 or 2008

I’d really appreciate experienced suggestions.
Thank you.

Sorry but your budget may get you an abused suv for those years but a crv.

Search for amdman on NAIRALAND. He has a 2005/6 CRV that meets your budget.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AmeLonRo(m): 5:27am On Aug 09, 2021
Good day house

Please, I have heard a lot about Toyota Corolla. I learned is fuel economical. Does it have any problem one should watch out for? I intend to buy one for family use. My budget is 1.2m

Gurus, please advise......
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:08am On Aug 09, 2021
AmeLonRo:
Does it have any problem one should watch out for

It is a Robbers magnet and sometimes can be stolen whole. 2002 to 2004 model years

It is also vandals choice of car burgling from brainbox to window switches to side mirrors etc.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 6:47am On Aug 09, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

The RDX should drive better, no? Same SH-AWD while weighing a lot less and having a shorter wheelbase.
I didn't say the MDX drives better. I have never driven an RDX. The RDX drive should drive better because of the points you listed above but I've never driven one. cheesy
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 6:52am On Aug 09, 2021
Openpeace:

I'd like to go with the MDX then 2010.
Let's see available one, gray colour or bright colors but not black.

Thank you for your response, but I'd like cash and carry abeg.
I do not have any in stock at the moment. You can check jiji for available cars and also take a trip to a few car stands at surulere, berger, Ikeja, festac etc.

However, 3m won't get you a 2010. Budget N4m and above. Note: 2010 is just a facelift of the 2007.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 6:55am On Aug 09, 2021
AmeLonRo:
Good day house

Please, I have heard a lot about Toyota Corolla. I learned is fuel economical. Does it have any problem one should watch out for? I intend to buy one for family use. My budget is 1.2m

What you learned about the “Corolla” is true and yes, it surely has its own problems as other cars do when they age or when they’re abused.

I hope that part of “all that you have “heard”about the Corolla included it’s theft rate and possible solutions?
From your budget, you will only be able to get a pre 2003 Corolla (2002 downwards) and Nigerian National used also. Cars are expensive now.

By the way, if you’re hoping to buy a decently 9ja used Corolla from 2003 model year and above for your current budget, then I’m sure you’ve not “heard a lot about Corolla”.

Perhaps you want to buy an abused or a stolen one. You won’t even get one of those years without duty for that amount.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ksmart027(m): 7:28am On Aug 09, 2021
AmeLonRo:
Good day house

You budget wouldn't get you a naija used Corolla.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rejuvenation26: 11:49am On Aug 09, 2021
Philadelphia:

Since you didn’t specify a particular year, I’ll give a blanket opinion.

The civic is a great car and I can tell you that it’s an overall better car than the Corolla of same year.

From your budget, you’ll be able to get a decent 2003 - 2005 civic.
If you want a newer and a decent one, I’ll advice you raise your budget to 1.35m to 1.6m to get a reasonable 2006 - 2008 model civic. In all the cases, your budget and the budget I asked you consider will only get you a Nigerian used.

Thanks bro, so much appreciate
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by envarmp(m): 7:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
nurey:

Get an Honda element instead 03 to 07 you should find one with a budget of 2m for tokunbo, it's gear position is similar to the 07 upwards CRV and it is a 02 to 06 CR-V in another clamshell.

If you don't like the element design then you must settle for naija used 07 CRV upwards

Thanks so much.

I’m super grateful
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by envarmp(m): 7:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
Philadelphia:

Sorry but your budget may get you an abused suv for those years but a crv.

Search for amdman on NAIRALAND. He has a 2005/6 CRV that meets your budget.

Okay.

I’d check him out.

Thank you.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AmeLonRo(m): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
Thanks. How much do I need to get a clean, naija used corolla then?
ksmart027:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AmeLonRo(m): 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Philadelphia:

What you learned about the “Corolla” is true and yes, it surely has its own problems as other cars do when they age or when they’re abused.

I hope that part of “all that you have “heard”about the Corolla included it’s theft rate and possible solutions?
From your budget, you will only be able to get a pre 2003 Corolla (2002 downwards) and Nigerian National used also. Cars are expensive now.

By the way, if you’re hoping to buy a decently 9ja used Corolla from 2003 model year and above for your current budget, then I’m sure you’ve not “heard a lot about Corolla”.

Perhaps you want to buy an abused or a stolen one. You won’t even get one of those years without duty for that amount.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AmeLonRo(m): 9:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
What good car with fuel economy can I get?
ksmart027:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ksmart027(m): 10:54pm On Aug 09, 2021
AmeLonRo:
What good car with fuel economy can I get?
Honda Civic 2004 to 2008
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ksmart027(m): 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2021
AmeLonRo:
A clean naija use can go as high as 1.8m
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Healthquest: 1:15am On Aug 10, 2021
ksmart027:

A clean naija use can go as high as 1.8m
hi mam, I'm getting ds toks corrola manual 2003 for 1.8m, do u think it worth it plus it's first time and no experience,how difficult bfr I master d driving nd is it OK to consider at dat price Or I shd leave it, what abt maintainance and resale value. Kindly help
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 6:17am On Aug 10, 2021
AmeLonRo:

Hold between 1.8m to 2m.

You may be lucky to see someone willing to dispose off from about 1.5m to 2m.
The key is to do due intelligence in inspecting the car and verifying the documents before buying and then using a reliable vehicle tracking service after buying.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 6:19am On Aug 10, 2021
Healthquest:
hi mam, I'm getting ds toks corrola manual 2003 for 1.8m, do u think it worth it plus it's first time and no experience,how difficult bfr I master d driving nd is it OK to consider at dat price Or I shd leave it, what abt maintainance and resale value. Kindly help

Seems like a pretty good deal.
You must find a way to master driving a manual vehicle. Whoever that can’t drive a manual vehicle surely does not know how to drive yet, even though he or she may be able to drive an automatic vehicle.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Healthquest: 6:36am On Aug 10, 2021
Philadelphia:

Seems like a pretty good deal.
You must find a way to master driving a manual vehicle. Whoever that can’t drive a manual vehicle surely does not know how to drive yet, even though he or she may be able to drive an automatic vehicle.
thanks,resale value gud too? Plus I just chk vin and discovered d car was not auction, instead d owner used it in Canada and send it home.
So. No accident or bad history according to. VIN. likewise d millage wasn't shown,probably because owner didn't report... Am I sure of getting a gud car as d owner might Av bycut d auction verification and car standard test to issue either of clear, clean or salvage tittle.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 7:36am On Aug 10, 2021
Healthquest:
thanks,resale value gud too? Plus I just chk vin and discovered d car was not auction, instead d owner used it in Canada and send it home.
So. No accident or bad history according to. VIN. likewise d millage wasn't shown,probably because owner didn't report... Am I sure of getting a gud car as d owner might Av bycut d auction verification and car standard test to issue either of clear, clean or salvage tittle.

If the car wasn’t on auction but sold by the owner, then you most likely are getting a good deal.
I just got a 2008 Infiniti G35X that was not auctioned but sold by the owner. Car is a clean title and everything checks out. Original mileage of about 174k when I got it. Used in the US and it’s rust free.

However, yours was used in Canada and I don’t know if it’s free from rust.

You seem not to have had a comprehensive VIN report.

If you don’t mind sending the VIN, I can help you get a more comprehensive report as I have a paid subscription.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ojeysky(m): 9:01am On Aug 10, 2021
Openpeace:
Please guys I'm thinking of RDX OR MDX ACURA 2010 or lesser
I'm on a budget 3M

What's your take on these choices.

WhatsApp

I use an RDX 09 and your budget should fit(worse case 200k max addition) especially if you are buying directly yourself.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ojeysky(m): 9:10am On Aug 10, 2021
Healthquest:

I have a tokunbo 05 Audi for 2m if you don't mind
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by eeewise(m): 9:47am On Aug 10, 2021
Pls any ideas on getting a volkswagen jetta 2.5 .

It seem to be affordable BTW 1.8 and 2m

In terms of maintenance and parts
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by envarmp(m): 10:24am On Aug 10, 2021
nurey:

Hello nurrey,

I did some more research about the 06 model on YouTube, and the reviews are pretty impressive.

I found a Nigerian used Honda CR-V 2007 going for 2M, ingood shape too

and

A Foreign Used Honda CR-V 2005/06 going for 2.1M

What would be your final answer sir?

Please help a confused young man as I need to make payment before the weekend.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:54am On Aug 10, 2021
envarmp:

Hello nurrey,

I did some more research about the 06 model on YouTube, and the reviews are pretty impressive.

I found a Nigerian used Honda CR-V 2007 going for 2M, ingood shape too

and

A Foreign Used Honda CR-V 2005/06 going for 2.1M

What would be your final answer sir?

Please help a confused young man as I need to make payment before the weekend.

Buy the toks because

1. As foreign used, fixes to be made would be minimal to naija used

2. The 05 and 06 is cheaper in maintenance and parts to the 07 upwards

3. Less abuse and better maintenance throughout it's service years for toks than naija used that has tasted our bad roads and low quality oil and gasoline.

I have been driving cars utilizing the K24 engine in the 05 and 06 and I have never had issues with the engine it is a solid rock

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:07am On Aug 10, 2021
eeewise:
Pls any ideas on getting a volkswagen jetta 2.5 .

It seem to be affordable BTW 1.8 and 2m

In terms of maintenance and parts

If tokunbo very good, don't compromise on the fluid especially the gear fluid.

The parts are very strong and they do last, but the parts too are a bit high in cost because you will never see china parts of the vehicle.

I only know the suspension parts don't do well in water prone areas especially when your shaft rubber protector is bad allowing water, mud and sand enter the shaft.

I hope the Jetta you are talking about is the A5 2006 upwards

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Healthquest: 11:28am On Aug 10, 2021
Philadelphia:

If the car wasn’t on auction but sold by the owner, then you most likely are getting a good deal.
I just got a 2008 Infiniti G35X that was not auctioned but sold by the owner. Car is a clean title and everything checks out. Original mileage of about 174k when I got it. Used in the US and it’s rust free.

However, yours was used in Canada and I don’t know if it’s free from rust.

You seem not to have had a comprehensive VIN report.

If you don’t mind sending the VIN, I can help you get a more comprehensive report as I have a paid subscription.
2t1br32e73c703159

Thanks so much, especially accident and millage

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (260) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.