Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,618 members, 7,823,707 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) (6543 Views)

2023 And The Quest For An Igbo President By Oke Umurhohwo / Ayo Adebanjo: No Igbo President, No Nigeria / Obasanjo Tipped David Umahi As Next Igbo President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 4:58am On Aug 29, 2018
General Ojukwu
Nnamdi Kanu

These 2 men had 1 thing in common:

Anti-Nigerian sentiments and pro Biafra motivations

I started off thinking about the ever fleeting idea of Igbo unity within a Nigerian context

Igbos have only ever been united by anti Nigerian motivations

Nigeria has 3 options :

. Find and rally behind a de tribalized 1 Nigeria Igbo advocate

. Try and reconcile properly with the Igbo people

. Dissolve Nigeria peacefully and respectfully

We never really reconciled properly after the civil war

Please do comment and keep your emotions in check. I will not be rude or provocative to anyone; either the silly or reasonable ones amongst you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:01am On Aug 29, 2018
Very good points raised by the OP.

But which government will want to follow the number 3 steps?
which is (Dissolve Nigeria peacefully and respectfully)
No government will want that to happen during their tenure.

The best government would have been the last dispensation.

But, Nnamdi Kanu wasn't around then for whatever reasons.

It shall be well with our nation.

Amen.

We rise!

7 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:09am On Aug 29, 2018
post=70705083]Very good points raised by the OP.

But which government will want to follow the number 3 steps?
which is (Dissolve Nigeria peacefully and respectfully)
No government will want that to happen during their tenure.

[/quote]
Well, the government will have to face the inevitable at some point (When the whole system goes to complete s.hit)

:

The best government would have been the last dispensation.

But, Nnamdi Kanu wasn't around then for whatever reasons.
Possibly

[quote author= post=70705083:

It shall be well with our nation.

Amen.

We rise!
This here, is blind faith without any plans of action to achieve the desired

1 Like

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gasparpisciotta: 5:11am On Aug 29, 2018
The Igbos should be smart enough to know that fighting for Biafra in this generation will not work out easily for them, rather in my opinion the ibos should continue to massively develop their region instead of using their meager resources to fight for independence.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:14am On Aug 29, 2018
gasparpisciotta:
The Igbos should be smart enough to know that fighting for Biafra in this generation will not work out easily for them, rather in my opinion the ibos should continue to massively develop their region instead of using their meager resources to fight for independence.
You cannot tell an angry, neglected, aggrieved and oppressed people what they should and should not do

They will constitute a contemptuous element within the Nation if you ignore their cry

This is very unhealthy for Nation building

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Obijulius: 5:22am On Aug 29, 2018
My good friend let me begin by saying thanks for brining this issue forward.

It takes a bold and wise person to stand by the truth even at the risk of offending popular opinion.

While Nigeria hates the Igbos, Nigeria cannot do well without them. The Igbos have exploited the one trait that is common to most Of Nigeria’s over 400 tribes- a lack on ingenuity and industry. In so doing they have upset the natural balance, becoming the prey that the parasite must eat and yet not devour.

No these other tribes are not lazy! The Igbo man just takes hard work to another level. He is the perfect candidate in this survivor series called life- and will, naturally, exploit the perceived failings of his competitors turned spectators.

He has studied nature to the point where he is at peace with his environment (erosion indeed), his family (usually monogamous) and his God - the supreme being who will always settle matters with fairness and not violence.

But, you must agree with me on this, he is yet to find a perfect way of dealing with his imposed teammates in this thing called Nigeria. He is boosterish to a fault, and lacks tact in dealing with his less fortunate fiends.

The 1966 massacres and the Sharia riots are the end results of a frustration and desperation. Worse still the 20 pound post civil war policy was meant to be a checkmate- to enable his aggrieved neighbours catch up.

These desperate measures by a people no less naturally endowed have been met with frustration time after time. As the Igbo continues to rise like the Phoenix from the ashes. And, show off, his reincarnation to his detractors.

Option 1 is a no go: Nigeria may never see an Igbo President, it will be suicidal for these other tribes.

Option 2 is another no go: With their strides in education, business, international affairs, human development, etc the Igbos have unwittingly offended their neighbours. These neighbours will only reconcile when the Igbos stop doing well or better than them.

Option 3 remains the best option. Ironically,how do we expect the parasite to let go of his prey willingly. The rest of Nigeria will do anything in their power (both earthly and heavenly) to retain the largely unappreciated services of the Igbo!

The Igbo nation must return home and make himself as autonomous as the Californians are in America. Igbos must think Igbo first!

According to MLK: A man can’t ride your back unless it’s bent! We did it in 1966-1970.

Let’s do it again now but without the bullet!

29 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gasparpisciotta: 5:23am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

You cannot tell an angry, neglected, aggrieved and oppressed people what they should and should not do

They will constitute a contemptuous element within the Nation if their agitations are not attended to maturely

Agreed. The anger should be positively harnessed into playing smart politics rather than continuous rancour that will only lead for further malignment and violence.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:31am On Aug 29, 2018
Obijulius:
My good friend let me begin by saying thanks for brining this issue forward.

Thank you

Obijulius:

While Nigeria hates the Igbos, Nigeria cannot do well without them. The Igbos have exploited the one trait that is common to most Of Nigeria’s over 400 tribes- a lack on ingenuity and industry. In so doing they have upset the natural balance, becoming the prey that the parasite must eat and yet not devour.

There is a reason for the initial hate. However, the genocide against the Igbos was the only option the Nigerian Govt had unfortunately as a Nigerian Govt run and controlled by a resource hungry colonial Govt.

If I was head of the Nigerian Govt at the time of Biafra, Nigeria would have lost the war because I have a heart and a soul, I cannot kill millions of women and children because of material blessings or money or because of some pale skinned imperial in Britain

Obijulius:

Option 1 is a no go: Nigeria may never see an Igbo President, it will be suicidal for these other tribes.

Why? A 1 Nigeria Advocate? I mean Like a Zik of old?

Obijulius:

Option 2 is another no go: With their strides in education, business, international affairs, human development, etc the Igbos have unwittingly offended their neighbours. These neighbours will only reconcile when the Igbos stop doing well or better than them.

It depends. If the other tribes can take a hint (Like I am doing), do you not think a respectful dialogue can bring about the peace?

Obijulius:

Option 3 remains the best option. Ironically,how do we expect the parasite to let go of his prey willingly. The rest of Nigeria will do anything in their power (both earthly and heavenly) to retain the largely unappreciated services of the Igbo!

The Igbo nation must return home and make himself as autonomous as the Californians are in America. Igbos must think Igbo first!

According to MLK: A man can’t latch a back unless it’s bent! We did it in 1966-1970.

Let’s do it again now but without the bullet!
My question to you is this:

Can Igbo do as well as they are now without Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:32am On Aug 29, 2018
gasparpisciotta:

Agreed. The anger should be positively harnessed into playing smart politics rather than continuous rancour that will only lead for further malignment and violence.
They will continue to constitute a saboteur and self-serving element in the federation, do you not think?

What about trust? Isn't that important in Nation building?

You want to sweep issues under the carpet

Can never work
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gasparpisciotta: 5:35am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

They will continue to constitute a saboteur and self-serving element in the federation, do you not think?

What about trust? Isn't that important in Nation building?

You want to sweep issues under the carpet

Can never work
Trust is the major issue why the North and South west are scared of the Igbo presidency
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:38am On Aug 29, 2018
gasparpisciotta:

Trust is the major issue why the North and South west are scared of the Igbo presidency
Then we need to fix that first
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by madmohamed(m): 5:47am On Aug 29, 2018
gasparpisciotta:
so the government will develop ur region and igbo will develop their region by themselves. One Nigerian is working

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 5:56am On Aug 29, 2018
madmohamed:
so the government will develop ur region and igbo will develop their region by themselves. One Nigerian is working
Lack of federal presence in the middle belt, south south and south east- a source of continued agitation

5 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Obijulius: 5:57am On Aug 29, 2018
My question to you is this:

Can Igbo do as well as they are now without Nigeria?

Your question has been fully addressed by @gasparpisciotta.

Let me take it further.

Yes. The Igbos can!

At least three Igbo states are running on self-drive ( no reliance from FAAC). Economically, the Igbo states are thriving.

In these aspects there not lacking either:
Education
Technology
Industry
International Impact(our sister in delta state NOI is not disappointing)
Nnamdi Kanu did a great job in awakening the local and international Igbo community of our precarious standing with our Nigerian neighbours.

But, in politics the Igbos are divided! This might be our biggest undoing. Igbos need to unify under a common political ideology and get rid of all this PDP and APC nonsense.

When APGA engages IPOB we will never need Nigeria politically.

Allow me to appreciate the OP and all commenters on this thread: you have all displayed eloquence and maturity!

When our friends in Nigeria wake up, I pray they will not derail the thread!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:01am On Aug 29, 2018
lol
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:03am On Aug 29, 2018
lol

Find and rally behind a de tribalized 1 Nigeria unifying Igbo president

This can never work..nobody gives presidency free..you work for it..you lobby for it

2 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:07am On Aug 29, 2018
lol

This can never work..nobody gives presidency free..you work for it..you lobby for it

Try and reconcile properly with the Igbo people

yow do you reconcile with people who feel you hate them?. and how exactly have the government offend them?....I believe for the civil war..both the fg and SE. have faults.. so asking one party to reconcile with the other makes it look like they are at fault

3 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Ganzagangan: 6:08am On Aug 29, 2018
" reconcile properly" this quip got my attention.

How?

You can only reconcile with someone that has stopped fighting. Nigeria has stopped fighting but the biafrans are still stuck in 1967 ...

So please.

The biafrans should be the ones to lay down their weapons of sentimental and bigoted rhetorics.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 6:08am On Aug 29, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
lol

You are right to a degree

However if the Nigerian Federation truly desires to unify, then they should try to pacify the Igbo by being gentlemanly

Igbo presidency should be considered not to pacify their egos but to show they are not maligned or discriminated against but are equal citizens like the rest of us

And I mean a qualified Igbo candidate, one who is not ethnocentric, well travelled and a unifier etc

If that sort of a man exists is another question entirely
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:09am On Aug 29, 2018
lol

Try and reconcile properly with the Igbo people

yow do you reconcile with people who feel you hate them?. and how exactly have the government offend them?....I believe for the civil war..both the fg and SE. have faults.. so asking one party to reconcile with the other makes it look like they are at fault

Dissolve Nigeria peacefully and respectfully

Not going to happen..no president even of southern extraction will allow this
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 6:09am On Aug 29, 2018
Ganzagangan:
" reconcile properly" this quip got my attention.

How?

You can only reconcile with someone that has stopped fighting. Nigeria has stopped fighting but the biafrans are still stuck in 1967 ...

So please.

The biafrans should be the ones to lay down their weapons of sentimental and bigoted rhetorics.

If you lost 2 million of your kin would you lay down your swords after less than 70 years later ?

Have black Americans done same ?

What about the Jewish people ?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gurnam: 6:11am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

They will constitute a contemptuous element within the Nation if you ignore their cry

They were not angry, rejected, neglected and oppressed under PDP for 16 years but suddenly realized all these when Buhari they didn’t vote for assumed power?

All these noise is nothing but fear of retribution, attention seeking and probably a blackmail for political concessions

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 6:14am On Aug 29, 2018
gurnam:

They were not angry, rejected, neglected and oppressed under PDP for 16 years but suddenly realized all these when Buhari they didn’t vote for assumed power?

All these noise is nothing but fear of retribution, attention seeking and probably a blackmail for political concessions
And that presidency of Jonathan’s did show that the east do hate the idea of a 1 Nigeria and the igbos are mostly self serving as a race.

Look, we have deep rooted issues

I am in Nigeria and my well being and hers are co dependent hence this thread

1 Like

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:14am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

However if the Nigerian Federation truly desires to unify, then they should try to pacify the Igbo by being gentlemanly

They should be reckoned with and regarded l, not to pacify their egos but to show they are not maligned or discriminated against but are equal citizens with the rest of us

And I mean a qualified Igbo candidate, one who is not ethnocentric, well travelled etc
apart from probably the core north..all other regions have been maligned in one way and the other... the SS who lay the golden egg(egg) are maligned.. I don't see them been hateful.. yes they will make noise..but once you settle them,they will move on,if the money finishes,they will make noise again..and the cycle continues......no hate..they have even moved on even when on of their own (Jonathan) was defeated in 2015.but the SE hasn't why are they crying more than the bereaved?....instead of making alliances, they are making more enemies...

6 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:17am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

And that presidency of Jonathan’s did show that the east do hate the idea of a 1 Nigeria and the igbos are mostly self serving as a race.

can you list some of these deep rooted issues...what exactly are these issues?

1 Like

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Ganzagangan: 6:19am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

They should be reckoned with and regarded l, not to pacify their egos but to show they are not maligned or discriminated against but are equal citizens with the rest of us

And I mean a qualified Igbo candidate, one who is not ethnocentric, well travelled etc

I don't really see how the rest of us are not being discriminated against in this political contraption.

We all are feeling the same pangs and throbs of joy and pain.

But the Igbo man, consensciously blames and hates every other tribe for the general woes of the country.igbo presidency?? I sincerely doubt. Where is the trust and faith in an Igbo man, with the rhetorics of hate and malignment of other tribes and people.

Would you give someone that has unhidden his caustic agenda of ultimate discrimination and marginilization the office and power to do so eventually? No, No, No.

I don't see an Igbo man getting the support necessary to be president of this country cause of the issue of trust and mutual confidence

Just read what 90 % of igbos say and spill on Nairaland, etc...

If you were not Igbo, you would definately not trust an Igbo man ever.

13 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by 35824L: 6:21am On Aug 29, 2018
Iboes should concentrate on secession because no right-thinking Nigerian will make the mistake of allowing you lead this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gurnam: 6:22am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:

I don’t get why you are yapping about but I can assure you that the igbos can’t get the Presidency by the current strategy of evoking guilt on and blackmail.
The more they go that way, the more they will be resented.

The closest an Igbo will become President in nigeria soon will be through someone like Rotimi Amaechi

2 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Moorish: 6:24am On Aug 29, 2018
@ganzagangan

@babyfaceafrica

@gurnam

Do you think there is a logical reason behind the hatred for other tribes by the Igbo ?

I think there might be

Addressing these would help us all

And I do not know the answers

Only the collective Igbo race can tell us why they hate us so much

1 Like

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by babyfaceafrica: 6:28am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:
@ganzagangan

@babyfaceafrica

@gurnam

Do you think there is a logical reason behind the hatred for other tribes by the Igbo ?

I think there might be

then let them tell us..
Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by Ganzagangan: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2018
Moorish:
@ganzagangan

@babyfaceafrica

@gurnam

I think there might be

The hate is actually mutual!

The thing is that, most other tribes actually plattered truce to the igbos even after the war decades ago.

But the igbos always come up with the civil war card and it's attendant disparation of tribal and religious bigotry. How unendingly can you live in peace with a discordant people?

Whatever the reason for their hate and vituperations, it has only succeeded in reaping the protracted hate and distrust in multiple folds.

You get what you give, see?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo President (and Why Nigeria Needs It Desperately) by gurnam: 6:39am On Aug 29, 2018
Ganzagangan:

The hate is actually mutual!

The thing is that, most other tribes actually plattered truce to the igbos even after the war decades ago.

But the igbos always come up with the civil war card and it's attendant disparation of tribal and religious bigotry. How unendingly can you live in peace with a discordant people?

Whatever the reason for their hate and vituperations, it has only succeeded in reaping the protracted hate and distrust in multiple folds.

You get what you give, see?

If any Yoruba man have the chance today to kick them to their Biafra, , they will all be gone already, but the problem is THEY don’t really want to go, they’ve only turned the Biafra noise as a tool of blackmail and Nigerians know that already now.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Didnt Believe My Eyes Seeing This Post From Nta / Enugu Govt To Reconstruct Monarch Mini-bridge, Ugwuaji / Jonathan Responds After Tinubu Awards Him Gold Medal For Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.