Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? (4376 Views)

We Will Massacre Everyone In Niger Delta As Obasanjo Did. Rtd Col. Hassan / Tinubu Kicks As Obasanjo Suggests Soludo To Buhari As Finance Minister / What The Heck Is South South? It Should Be East, West, North And South! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by femmie(m): 4:24pm On Jan 05, 2006
Well, i willl say OBJ has his own faults but in the case we are talking oF OBJ not going for the third term, then who is capable to do this country great? cause as i have seen there is nobody capable. is it YERIMA OR IBB again? OR is it MARWA that we all just found out about his shady part? thanks to EFCC.Though the real prosecution may not be coming but they are opening pur eyes to the real people we want on the throne. To me if we are to say the truth i support OBJ for the third term cause i c nobody do anything than making things worse .Nigeria has a good foreign deposit that anybody would love to have a piece of. why are they all trying it alll to be a do or die affair? why must it be up to thirty parties? why must it be south-south? what if there is no capable person form the south will we just make him have it just because he or she is from south-south? are we blind? i have sighted no particular person that will do it like OBJ. they will onnyl get there and ruin all the things OBJ has done like killing he whole EFCC stunts the guy has done cause he has hurt a lot of them. i laugh at NIGERIA in the hands of IBB OR YERIMA OR MARWA cause it means this country will be back to the BAACHA era. lets look at it this way, NIGERIA needs a good military good guy ike OBJ not IBB cause NIGERIA is a very stubborn country. democrazy has brought its prons and cons like more crazy people doing more things in the name of democrazy. like the OPC they never came out during the military era. and ETC.
I THROW THIS OUT TO NAIRALANDERS.LETS TALK IT OUT.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Seun(m): 5:38am On Jan 06, 2006
Capable people:
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala.
- Governor Mu'azu of Bauchi State.
- Donald Duke of Cross-River?
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by femmie(m): 7:37am On Jan 06, 2006
Seun:

Capable people:
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala.
- Governor Mu'azu of Bauchi State.
- Donald Duke of Cross-River?

may be you have a point but, do we really know this people to enthrust them the throne?
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Chxta(m): 9:36am On Jan 06, 2006
femmie:

Well, i willl say OBJ has his own faults but in the case we are talking oF OBJ not going for the third term, then who is capable to do this country great? cause as i have seen there is nobody capable. is it YERIMA OR IBB again? OR is it MARWA that we all just found out about his shady part? thanks to EFCC.Though the real prosecution may not be coming but they are opening pur eyes to the real people we want on the throne. To me if we are to say the truth i support OBJ for the third term cause i c nobody do anything than making things worse .Nigeria has a good foreign deposit that anybody would love to have a piece of. why are they all trying it alll to be a do or die affair? why must it be up to thirty parties? why must it be south-south? what if there is no capable person form the south will we just make him have it just because he or she is from south-south? are we blind? i have sighted no particular person that will do it like OBJ. they will onnyl get there and ruin all the things OBJ has done like killing he whole EFCC stunts the guy has done cause he has hurt a lot of them. i laugh at NIGERIA in the hands of IBB OR YERIMA OR MARWA cause it means this country will be back to the BAACHA era. lets look at it this way, NIGERIA needs a good military good guy ike OBJ not IBB cause NIGERIA is a very stubborn country. democrazy has brought its prons and cons like more crazy people doing more things in the name of democrazy. like the OPC they never came out during the military era. and ETC.
I THROW THIS OUT TO NAIRALANDERS.LETS TALK IT OUT.

ME!
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by hotspice(f): 10:51am On Jan 06, 2006
this is the problem most Nigerians have. the fear of the unknown. Bill Clinton changed the face of the American economy and citizens were happy and America did not go to war with or against anybody. infact life was gr8! after two terms he stepped down
Americans did not say that he should stay for life or change their constitution to accomodate a third term even though they knew the incoming president was not a good economist infact he is known for his love for war. Our own baba shouldnt be different. Yes no human can be 100% perfect but baba is not even 50% perfect. For every 5 good deeds there are hundreds left undone so lets stop kidding ourselves. Marwa is being investigated becos he has political ambition for 2007 thats all. why is efcc not after IBB and his wife? or do u think Baba is living on his income with lots of children all over the globe? he knows when he leaves Power the lion which he has created(efcc) will come after him under a new name becos those who he is dealing with now will make sure his own skeletons is displayed at the market square.
as for me am tired of the old goons ruling us. lets have a younger man be our president and see how it goes whether he is from the north or from the south so long he is the man for the office.

but we all know that the godfathers of politics will have their meeting after office hours like 12midnite to say who will handle what. and i tell you these men are not more than six if they want Baba there in '07 then he will be there.but if they don't, na Indian gals dem go call for baba. grin
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by alheri(f): 12:19pm On Jan 06, 2006
femmie:

may be you have a point but, do we really know this people to enthrust them the throne?

did we really know OBJ before he got there? Lets give others a chance. I agree with seuns suggestions. But OBJ should leave, cause HE aint capable.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by femmie(m): 5:13pm On Jan 06, 2006
Hotspice aint you really hot now, you are talking as if you dnt know nigeria.at least you know of the godfathers saying the guyz gonna b there if they so wish. this thing as turn to a do or die affair you cnt compare america to nigeria. NIgerian s will not vote for the right man they will vote for the now man. with what tinibu and pedro did during there campaine for the second term, in a place like europe they would have recieved not a single vote from the people. tinubu came to my hometown b4 the election and was pouring out money. can you imagine? dishing it out. a sensible man will know that once he gets to the throne what he will do will be to get his money back. if we are to listen to okotie and his word we will know the guy knows how he can treat this nation but did people listen to him no. instaed they went out enmass for obj that was just incraesing the price of fuel in his first term. nigerians will not listen to a person of future gain but a person that will provide them things now.and you know what, thats what the big boys of politics are doing. tinubu cmapaied with yoruba and money and throwing out cassette to the people that a local musician sang in all full of his praises. do you think all that was for free? yet the guy won with a landslide in the outkstes of ikorodu area. i will cinfidently tell you all the presdents that nigeria will own in the next 15years if you want me to cause all them big boys all want ot go gain and there aint nothing we can do. we ahve to spaek the fact here?all we need is divine intervention. thats all. cause they are all iching to go. they have the power and they will. anybody wey fumble with american politics no say hin no go last.look at the kennedys, reagan life almost went, hat of lincoln. in that case they know if they fumble thy know there are people that willl lwt them loose. dnt get mi wrong am not inplying the same thing to our leaders here but there is fear in nigeria.and we just have to accept it that way. how many have stood up to this gys nd not ended up in jail? look at them abacha and IBB. we just have to accept our faith and pray. what i will love you to do is get me someone that will wnat to play good politics and win.and i will vote for him at least for the first time i will actually go out and VOTE.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by bagoma(f): 5:18pm On Jan 06, 2006
Obj has done the best he could do.
Nigeria is a very difficult(to say the least) country to govern.
people should stop comparing our democracy with the US. its ridiculous.
Obj certainly isn't a saint but he is not 100% a devil. he's proved to be definetely better than some of those angling for it right now. the likes of IBB.
If he has had 8 yrs then he's had his chance and must step down/aside.
Let someone new and fresh be given a chance to do the job. someone like those mentioned by seun and the likes of Emeka Anyaoku and maybe some others yet to be unveiled.
in a country as big as Nigeria surely we have numerous people capable of filling that exalted post than hanging on to past miltary thieves and destroyers of our nation.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by hotspice(f): 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2006
femmie in nigeria ur vote do not count. they voted themselves back in
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Akolawole(m): 7:09pm On Jan 06, 2006
@Hotspice
To you, OBJ has not even done 50%, can you tell me in Nigeria's history, who has done even 25%?
Some of us cannot even manage a team of five people succesfully let alone 130 million Nigerians.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Seun(m): 11:57pm On Jan 06, 2006
Correcting a Common Misconception: The presidency is not about managing the 130 million Nigerian citizens. It is about managing the executive arm of the government that governs the 130 million Nigerians. The executive arm consists of the various government parastatals, the army, navy, airforce and police period.

The size of the executive arm runs into several tens of thousands but it's definitely not 130 million, so there are private companies that are larger than the number of people that the president of Nigeria is supposed to manage.

Look at it this way: I am the administrator of this site but does this mean I manage 10,000 Nigerians? No, I only manage myself and whoever is working with me to manage this website.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Seun(m): 12:05am On Jan 07, 2006
There was a report that the US has presented a list of five Nigerians who are caable of leading this country:

1) A former world bank official (obviously my pick, Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala)
2) A South East governor who has had running battles with Obasanjo (Orji Uzor Kalu?)
3) A retired military officer from the Middle Belt (Marwa, the recent EFCC Guest??)
4) An outspoken former speaker of the House of Representatives (??)
5) A serving minister who recently accused Senators of corruption (??)

Source:
http://www.independentng.com/news/nnjan040601.htm
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2006/jan/05/national%20-5-01-2006-002.htm

The Daily Trust reports that the US has denied the list:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200601050594.html
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by princeonx: 1:32am On Jan 07, 2006
its very funny whenever we find out something about the past of a current or former Nigerian leader we almost want to celebrate like anything will happen to them! the stories or news will just die off like others and the next leader will continue from where the previous stoped.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by ijebuman(m): 3:13am On Jan 07, 2006
Seun:

There was a report that the US has presented a list of five Nigerians who are caable of leading this country:

1) A former world bank official (obviously my pick, Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala)
2) A South East governor who has had running battles with Obasanjo (Orji Uzor Kalu?)
3) A retired military officer from the Middle Belt (Marwa, the recent EFCC Guest??)
4) An outspoken former speaker of the House of Representatives (??)
5) A serving minister who recently accused Senators of corruption (??)

Source:
http://www.independentng.com/news/nnjan040601.htm
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2006/jan/05/national%20-5-01-2006-002.htm

The Daily Trust reports that the US has denied the list:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200601050594.html
If the report is true, then Nigerians should be extremely concerned, this sudden interest by the US in our affairs is not because of our oil is it?  smiley

Is Nigeria The Next Persian Gulf?
America now sees Nigeria and the other countries in the Gulf of Guinea as the "Next Gulf" -- a counterweight to the Middle East. Increasingly Nigeria will play a strategic role in America's energy needs, whether the communities of the Delta want it or not.
There have been repeated calls from a variety of influential right-wing and neo-conservative think-tanks in Washington to declare the Gulf of Guinea an area of "vital interest" to the U.S., which needs to be protected by American military might.

<snip>
America is also quietly increasing its military presence in Nigeria -- indeed one of the people killed in the recent plane crash near Lagos was a U.S. Army officer assigned to EUCOM and stationed in Nigeria to provide security assistance between the U.S. and Nigerian military. One manifestation of this cooperation is the emergence of American weapons in the Delta. "There is clearly an increase in U.S. weapons in the hands of the Nigerian army and navy," argues Patrick Naagbanton, Director of the Niger Delta Project for Environment, Human Rights and Development.

Read full article: http://www.alternet.org/story/27997/
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Akolawole(m): 3:22am On Jan 07, 2006
@Seun

Is it easy to manage the executive arm?

How many PDP guys like OBJ and his reforms?

How many legislators want Naija to move forward?

Now to United States,What right have them to shortlist for Nigeria?

There is plenty of naija that can do the job, we will choose for ourself.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by ijebuman(m): 3:32am On Jan 07, 2006
Akolawole:

Now to United States,What right have them to shortlist for Nigeria?
There is plenty of Nigeria that can do the job, we will choose for ourself.

better be careful there could be CIA operatives around grin
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by pendelite(f): 3:33am On Jan 07, 2006
Imagine for a moment that your argument was true. Would you not be ashamed to be a Nigerian?
A country of one hundred million people minimum and two hundred people on the other side of the equation and yet only one can effectively rule the country? Boy, do I fear for the day he dies a natural death, millions of sheep will be left to wonder in millions of aimless directions. Then I ask the question, even it were true, the failure of leadership is plan and to prepare for continuity.

We pushed the matter even further by suggesting that we all live in a time warp. Preserve this moment forever because it the greatest moment of our lives. You say that Nigeria needs a military leader like OBJ and democrazy has it good and bad side.

Consider for a moment that you can at least talk about the situation, you can ponder the possibility of change if you don’t like what you have; imagine if you are not able to consider that option and OBJ was not as good as you have presumed, then what?

Like a growing child, Nigeria will make mistakes and learn, the only impermissible mistakes are those that we ought to have learnt before. How good will the next guy be? I really can't tell you, but I can certainly tell you that it is better to give it a short than live in our shell for fear of tomorrow.

OBJ has done a good job by your reckoning, it is time for him to step aside and let others continue from where he left. If he was the great leader you think he is, he should have realized how much time he had to work with and prepared someone to continue his good works.

In parting third term is fourth term and 10th term, it just does not work even the best get stale and outdated, times change and people must be willing to embrace change
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by pendelite(f): 3:36am On Jan 07, 2006
Do you believe everything you read? How will the USAA provide a list for Nigeria and then do what, appoint them. Let’s not get carried away by rumor mongers and trouble makers. Nigerians need to talk about who will succeed OBJ and then work towards achieving that.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by ijebuman(m): 3:44am On Jan 07, 2006
pendelite:

Do you believe everything you read? How will the USAA provide a list for Nigeria and then do what, appoint them. Let’s not get carried away by rumor mongers and trouble makers. Nigerians need to talk about who will succeed OBJ and then work towards achieving that.

Nigeria is now of strategic importance to the US, if they did produce a list do you think they will admit it publicly. If the US had no interest in Nigeria why are they training our military and providing them with weapons.

The American military presence in oil-producing areas of Africa, though less conspicuous, is growing rapidly. The Department of Defense has stepped up its arms deliveries to military forces in Angola and Nigeria, and is helping to train their officers and enlisted personnel;
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1008-23.htm
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Bibi(m): 4:11am On Jan 07, 2006
We dont need another leader like OBJ. We need another leader much better than OBJ. I agree Nigerians must be ready for the unknown, not speculating about retired generals or emergency politicians from the 4th republic. Would be nice to have a lady President or Vice president this time. As such, I believe Okonjo Iweala and Dora Akunyuli comes to mind. There are a lot of Nigerians and politicians with good will, integrity. The hope is we dont turn our searchlight into the murky waters of past leaders.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by pendelite(f): 4:12am On Jan 07, 2006
Do you think it was the CIA that made it difficult for me to read the Common Dreams pages, I could not read about the organization and their objectives. If you are subscriber please tell me a little more  Opinions are not always the truth, they are merely a point of view. The folks at Common Dreams call themselves the A non-profit news service providing breaking news & views for the progressive community. Which progressive community?

There will always be different points of view on every matter, if the Americans are selling us arms and helping train our soldier’s how can that be a bad thing?

We like the rest of the world need a strong well trained army to protect us and our regional interests. We like the rest of world must combat terrorism of every sort and provide support in areas of conflict while ensuring our territorial integrity.

When can revisit this issue when the Marines land and take over our oil wells but not before our well trained troops have failed to protect us.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by ijebuman(m): 4:34am On Jan 07, 2006
pendelite:

Do you think it was the CIA that made it difficult for me to read the Common Dreams pages
a good anti spyware should do the trick  grin

pendelite:

I could not read about the organization and their objectives. If you are subscriber please tell me a little more  Opinions are not always the truth, they are merely a point of view. The folks at Common Dreams call themselves the A non-profit news service providing breaking news & views for the progressive community. Which progressive community?
Common Dreams About us...
It's been said that dreams are our roadmaps to the future. If so, where are we headed? Common Dreams is a national non-profit citizens' organization working to bring progressive Americans together to promote progressive visions for America's future. Founded in 1997, we are committed to being on the cutting-edge of using the internet as a political organizing tool - and creating new models for internet activism.

We are funded exclusively by our members and supporters - no corporate money, no advertising, no hidden agendas. With a small staff and a network of volunteers, we are proud of what we've accomplished on a shoestring budget. But we can't keep moving forward without your help

Or you think they have an agenda in Nigeria, they are not a christain evangelical group grin . there are other sources of information about the growing relationship between the US and the Nigerian military, a search in google will provide you with more links. Its in the public domain so its not exactly a secret.

pendelite:

There will always be different points of view on every matter, if the Americans are selling us arms and helping train our soldier’s how can that be a bad thing?
yeah sure it can't be a bad thing...
I'm sure the people of the Niger delta will disagree.
and when the Nigerian Army decides to carry out a coup using their new weapons i'm sure most Nigerians will disagree as well

pendelite:

We like the rest of the world need a strong well trained army to protect us and our regional interests. We like the rest of world must combat terrorism of every sort and provide support in areas of conflict while ensuring our territorial integrity.
Nigerian army protect us? you must be having a laugh, all they ever do is oppress the citizens they were meant to protect. Does rampaging through the streets of Lagos and burning down police stations count as protecting us from terrorism?
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Seun(m): 6:57am On Jan 07, 2006
We need names, people. Names of those who can rule manage this democratic government with integrity and dirction. Names, not explanations or arguments. Names!
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Rolly: 7:25am On Jan 07, 2006
Personally, i think anyone who God puts there. i mean i could drop names but God's names could be totally different and we dont want to be against God's will. do we? wink cheesy
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Chxta(m): 7:45am On Jan 07, 2006
So what exactly is the point of this thread?
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Seun(m): 10:02am On Jan 07, 2006
Chxta, didn't you read what I wrote 3 posts ago? The purpose of this thread is to tell us who you think is capable of running this country well apart from Obasanjo. Give us their names, thank you.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by BabaOlu(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2006
I think we need a leader with military background who have Naija interest in mind and also have good understand of International politics to rule naija and put some political & economic structures in place before we allow civilian politicians and the like of Okonjo-Iweala et al to come on stage. Naija politics is more than what most people out there thinks. There a lots of FORCES (both internal & external) working against the Naija project, I can tell you this because some of us are prviledge to work with the Oyinbos - you know what I mean. These forces are really benefitting from the present status quo and hence will do everything to restist this changes which is my basic reason for this suggestion.

The leader in question must be able to address the issues such as resource-control vis-a-vis revenue sharing, and equal access by the six geopolical zones to political power among others.

Babagida is one of such militarize politician who knows and understand the game but looking at his past, I doubt if he can put these structures in place.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by otokx(m): 11:44am On Jan 07, 2006
Mallam Nasir El Rufai,
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Prof. Charles Soludo
Mr. Donald Duke
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by uzors: 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2006
Femmie, I believe that you're one of those that drank Obasanjo's quinine.
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by pendelite(f): 2:39pm On Jan 07, 2006
So you want names, I can rule Nigeria, want to discuss it? I also took Rolly's advice and added that this will be possible with the help of God, Insa Allah smiley
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by ijebuman(m): 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2006
otokx:

Mallam Nasir El Rufai,
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Prof. Charles Soludo
Mr. Donald Duke

3 of the people on that list are technocrats, i doubt if they will want to dabble into the murky waters of Nigerian politics
Re: Who The Heck Is As Capable As Obasanjo? by Akolawole(m): 5:16pm On Jan 07, 2006
@Ijebuman

"CIA report ko, CIA ni "
Bloody Nonsense.

@Pendelite

I will never never be ashamed of being Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Does Petrol Cost In Your Area? / Passing Out Parade From Depot Nigerian Army, / Photo Of A Nigerian Rocking With His White Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.