Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,645 members, 7,820,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

What Do Cats Eat?? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Do Cats Eat?? (8547 Views)

22 Signs Your Cats Are Turning Into A Human / Cats Pass Out After Eating Their Owner's Marijuana Plants In US (Pics, Video) / Reason Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs While Choosing A Pet ( Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Cats Eat?? by jaykaylegend(m): 9:38pm On Aug 29, 2018
Guys, we just took in a stray kitten and since then it has refused to eat or eat very little everything offered it. Ranging from Rice, yam, spaghetti, indomie, eggs.. Seems the only thing the kitten loves is meat, it can eat meat for Africa and we can't afford to feed it meat anytime it's hungry. So guys, what can we offer it??
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by LifeIsGuhd(f): 9:51pm On Aug 29, 2018
My cat lovesss indomie...

Spag, rice...
However sometimes, they need to be extremely hungry to eat that kinda food especially when they are used to meats grin

1 Like

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by adisabarber(m): 11:13pm On Aug 29, 2018
jaykaylegend:
Guys, we just took in a stray kitten and since then it has refused to eat or eat very little everything offered it. Ranging from Rice, yam, spaghetti, indomie, eggs.. Seems the only thing the kitten loves is meat, it can eat meat for Africa and we can't afford to feed it meat anytime it's hungry. So guys, what can we offer it??

You took in a kitten that was probably being fed with lizards and rats and you expect it to adjust to your own food immediately. It will take some time to adjust because most cats deliberately leave their prey partially alive when offering it to their kittens so the kittens can enjoy the thrills of eating live food. Try mixing crayfish with pap and see if your kitten will take it

2 Likes

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by meobizy(f): 11:49pm On Aug 29, 2018
Rats and lizards are the surest bet. When I imagined a cat all I could think of was meat.
Catch a rat and either open it up or skin it alive. The cat will eat to its fill.

1 Like

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by pcoolioz(m): 12:12pm On Aug 30, 2018
Easiest is fish. Fried fish if you don't wanna stress. But if you continue it starts stealing so give it in bits. You can also try bread. Another option is to put the oil of sardine in anything you wanna give it. The strong smell of fish would certainly tempt it.
And like someone said, it will take time for it to adjust to what you are offering considering it had a diet before.

I once took in a stray. I gave it rice for 1week straight before it finally ate it. You have to change the rice everyday cos it gets spoilt but eventually it would eat. Also ensure water is beside it. Drop the food and go. When it's hungry it will eat.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Seun(m): 4:06pm On Aug 30, 2018
Unlike dogs, cats are obligate carnivores. They cannot survive without meat because they require some essential amino acids that are only found in meat. Last time I checked, Shawa fish was the cheapest source of meat that is readily available, so go for that. Cats don’t eat much, anyway. They also eat bread and milk. And eggs. But fish is probably the best; in fact, all the commercial cat food at Shoprite is based on fish.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by WooodSI: 8:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
You did a very good thing by taking a stray kitten into your home. I'm very glad that there are still people in the world who can do good deeds. I wonder how your kitten is doing, which has already managed to grow during this time? And please tell us how you solved this problem with food. Because we have a similar situation, our cat refuses everything except meat. I read in various blogs about the behavior of cats and I had to find out can the cat eat only meat to understand what the problem is. And I learned that cats can't be fed only meat, the food must be varied, almost all like a human. But I don't know how to train our cat to other food. I hope you can give me some advice.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by KholaSourceCode: 2:07pm On Mar 29, 2020
Pls I want to buy a kitten ASAP am in Calabar..
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by KholaSourceCode: 2:08pm On Mar 29, 2020
If yhu hav kitten fr sale in Calabar or Akwa Ibom.. Pls dm me whatsapp 08065177447
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Nikra(m): 10:29am On Mar 30, 2020
WooodSI:
You did a very good thing by taking a stray kitten into your home. I'm very glad that there are still people in the world who can do good deeds. I wonder how your kitten is doing, which has already managed to grow during this time? And please tell us how you solved this problem with food. Because we have a similar situation, our cat refuses everything except meat. I read in various blogs about the behavior of cats and I had to find out can the cat eat only meat to understand what the problem is. And I learned that cats can't be fed only meat, the food must be varied, almost all like a human. But I don't know how to train our cat to other food. I hope you can give me some advice.
Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Lmaomen1(m): 5:31am On Jun 30, 2020
Wow, I didn’t even know that cats eat rice smileyI have a cat at home and he eats absolutely everything. Most cats like milk, cheese and other products. My cat also loves to eat berries that grow in my yard. I have nothing against this, but the problem is that these berries also attract other cats and in the mornings I have more than 5 cats in the yard and it infuriates me very much because I don’t even know if they are healthy. In addition, they even tried to harm my cat. I surfed the Internet and found out on one site about cat spikes. They do not harm cats, but scare them away and I'm going to order these spikes from Amazon and I hope that it works!
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by HassieMalcomson(f): 1:26pm On Oct 13, 2021
I just read a thread about giving milk to cats, and I totally disagree with it. Actually, milk owns an enzyme 'lactase', and cats are 'lactose intolerant. So, I will suggest you to stay away from giving milk to cats. It can also cause vomiting and diarrhoea. As you mentioned, you don't have enough budget, so I recommend you go with whole gain meals and probably, it will probably be available at your home. It could be soy, corn or wheat.

On the contrary, if you have a reasonable budget, then you can pick good canned food from here https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-cat-food/ and yes, all of them are not that expensive. Instead of going with dry or wet canned food, you can also choose a mixture of both. Similarly, veggies and fruits could also be favourites of stray cats. I hope you will take better care of this cat. smiley
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by tedrobson718: 10:29am On Jun 04, 2023
Yes, pretty interesting question for me, since I also own a a cat) Their ideal food includes high-quality meats such as chicken, turkey, and fish. It's important to ensure the meat is cooked thoroughly to prevent any potential bacterial contamination. While cats can benefit from small amounts of fruits and vegetables, the majority of their diet should consist of meat. You can read more on ilovecatsforlife.com. Feeding them a balanced and specially formulated cat food that meets their nutritional requirements is recommended. Consult with a veterinarian to determine the most suitable diet for your cat based on their specific needs and health condition.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by bassdow: 4:06pm On Jun 04, 2023
LifeIsGuhd:
My cat lovesss indomie...

Spag, rice...
However sometimes, they need to be extremely hungry to eat that kinda food especially when they are used to meats grin
start feeding them human based foods e.g Rice, beans, moimoi,eba, etc at early stage even if you could afford Cat's foods.
That way, one wouldn't be on their toes when not financially bouyant.

and if you fail to introduce them on time, or they're picky eaters, you need let them go very very hungry - i mean very very very very hungry because Cats are much more stubborn than Dogs and wouldn't mind going without food for days so tey you go begin get soft mind for them.

Would suggest you harden your mind like most Nigerian poliThiefCians else the Cat would have his/her way.

Also they eat all Dog canned foods. Beware of bones no matter how small.

if feeding most human based meals, I suggest you at least on weekly basis, give the cat smoked fish.

Also don't joke with multi-vitamins. Would suggest you add it to their water on daily basis. Just don't add it too much it discolors the water much else the cat would abandone the water for you.

To get cheap meat, go to market where they sell frozen chicken and/ or turkey, tell them you want to buy only the heads and necks and legs. if they don't have or don't sell, ask they direct you to where you could buy. And please never give Cats raw mean or fish or raw eggs - this might be debatable but their cons far outweights their pros.

when giving them human based foods, please avoid or reduce seasonings, and avoid onions. Not god for them

2 Likes

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by bassdow: 4:09pm On Jun 04, 2023
Phantomplanet:
Cats are picky eaters, but they need to eat lots of meat since they are carnivorous animals. After I read an excellent article on https://all-about-cats.com/what-do-cats-eat-detailed-guide/, I was able to know what cats eat
you seem to be speaking theoretically
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by bassdow: 4:23pm On Jun 04, 2023
pcoolioz:
Easiest is fish. Fried fish if you don't wanna stress. But if you continue it starts stealing so give it in bits. You can also try bread. Another option is to put the oil of sardine in anything you wanna give it. The strong smell of fish would certainly tempt it.
And like someone said, it will take time for it to adjust to what you are offering considering it had a diet before.

I once took in a stray. I gave it rice for 1week straight before it finally ate it. You have to change the rice everyday cos it gets spoilt but eventually it would eat. Also ensure water is beside it. Drop the food and go. When it's hungry it will eat.

You need really stress the above bolded portion else most wouldn't understand. Cats, unlike dogs have minds of their own. They are not interested in pleasing you. They could decide to go on hungry strike for days and if you don't understand, fear go make you give am wetin pass wetin e want.
To help make them quit their hunger strike on time, take away their water else they would be drinking the water and not eat the food but when you take away their water, the hunger + thirst go frustrate them enough that they quit their stubbornness earlier than they wannt to.

Also that they finally tried eating a little of the food now, doesn't mean you jump back to the food they're used to - feed the cat same food or same food category for like 4-days and keep randomly changing the types so they get used to it.

Some would suggest adding pieces of fish to the food e.g rice - the cat go just select the fishes finish and if you too pieces am, e go abandon am for you OR if really really hungry, eat the portion that has more of the fish.

Once adopted an adult that made me spend on sardine for close to 2-months - eats nothing else but sardine or smoked fish. e go still make shakara join sef. well that was my first then so he had his way

3 Likes

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Zedwell: 4:23pm On Jun 04, 2023
Cats are obligate carnivores, so your cat's preference for meat is her natural predilection. However for economic reasons, please don't starve the cat needlessly like I have read some people suggest. Rather, introduce the substitute (human food rice, spag etc) in bits. I mean serve the meat in large proportion with a little fraction of the substitute you are introducing. Daily, reduce the proportion of the meat while you increase the proportion of the substitute, do this progressively until the substitute takes larger fraction and the meat fizzling out. However, if the cat will now be taking less meat routinely, it is advised you introduce supplement.

1 Like

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Zedwell: 5:30pm On Jun 04, 2023
For quality veterinary services contact: https:///eylhum

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Abolodje: 7:23am On Jun 05, 2023
All ye cat owners and lovers I’m looking to adopting a cat please, anyone who is generous enough thank you.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 11:05am On Jun 27, 2023
bassdow:
start feeding them human based foods e.g Rice, beans, moimoi,eba, etc at early stage even if you could afford Cat's foods.

and if you fail to introduce them on time, or they're picky eaters, you need let them go very very hungry - i mean very very very very hungry because Cats are much more stubborn than Dogs and wouldn't mind going without food for days so tey you go begin get soft mind for them.

Would suggest you harden your mind like most Nigerian poliThiefCians else the Cat would have his/her way.

if feeding most human based meals, I suggest you at least on weekly basis, give the cat smoked fish.

Also don't joke with multi-vitamins. Would suggest you add it to their water on daily basis. Just don't add it too much it discolors the water much else the cat would abandone the water for you.

To get cheap meat, go to market where they sell frozen chicken and/ or turkey, tell them you want to buy only the heads and necks and legs. if they don't have or don't sell, ask they direct you to where you could buy. And please never give Cats raw mean or fish or raw eggs - this might be debatable but their cons far outweights their pros.

when giving them human based foods, please avoid or reduce seasonings, and avoid onions. Not god for them
This is a very good adaptation tips for cat owners, thank you. I spoilt mine with fish and chicken such that when I am broke I become very worried.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 11:08am On Jun 27, 2023
bassdow:

You need really stress the above bolded portion else most wouldn't understand. Cats, unlike dogs have minds of their own. They are not interested in pleasing you. They could decide to go on hungry strike for days and if you don't understand, fear go make you give am wetin pass wetin e want.
To help make them quit their hunger strike on time, take away their water else they would be drinking the water and not eat the food but when you take away their water, the hunger + thirst go frustrate them enough that they quit their stubbornness earlier than they wannt to.

Also that they finally tried eating a little of the food now, doesn't mean you jump back to the food they're used to - feed the cat same food or same food category for like 4-days and keep randomly changing the types so they get used to it.

Some would suggest adding pieces of fish to the food e.g rice - the cat go just select the fishes finish and if you too pieces am, e go abandon am for you OR if really really hungry, eat the portion that has more of the fish.

Once adopted an adult that made me spend on sardine for close to 2-months - eats nothing else but sardine or smoked fish. e go still make shakara join sef. well that was my first then so he had his way

I fear who no fear you, you get mind pass our politicians. You mean I should take away the water they drink to hold belle, haaa get conscience o.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 11:09am On Jun 27, 2023
bassdow:

I fear who no fear you, you get mind pass our politicians. You mean I should take away the water they drink to hold belle, haaa get conscience o.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 11:10am On Jun 27, 2023
Zedwell:
Cats are obligate carnivores, so your cat's preference for meat is her natural predilection. However for economic reasons, please don't starve the cat needlessly like I have read some people suggest. Rather, introduce the substitute (human food rice, spag etc) in bits. I mean serve the meat in large proportion with a little fraction of the substitute you are introducing. Daily, reduce the proportion of the meat while you increase the proportion of the substitute, do this progressively until the substitute takes larger fraction and the meat fizzling out. However, if the cat will now be taking less meat routinely, it is advised you introduce supplement.
This is more logical.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 11:10am On Jun 27, 2023
Abolodje:
All ye cat owners and lovers I’m looking to adopting a cat please, anyone who is generous enough thank you.
Where are you based?
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Abolodje: 12:17pm On Jun 27, 2023
clumsydyna:

Where are you based?
Lagos but in Akure at the moment. I can still get it where I am my bro.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by clumsydyna: 10:35am On Jul 02, 2023
Abolodje:

Lagos but in Akure at the moment. I can still get it where I am my bro.
The cat is in Lagos.
Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by Adeyinkaryusuf: 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2023
What kind of multi-vitamins?
bassdow:

Re: What Do Cats Eat?? by CatFoodSavvy: 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
Congratulations on welcoming a new furry friend into your home! It's not uncommon for stray kittens to have unique dietary preferences, and it seems like your little one has a strong affinity for meat. While it's important to provide a balanced diet, there are alternative options you can explore to meet your kitten's nutritional needs without breaking the bank. Here are a few suggestions:

Kitten-Specific Food: Consider investing in high-quality, commercially available kitten food. These products are specifically formulated to provide kittens with the essential nutrients they need for growth and development. Look for options that contain real meat as the primary ingredient.

Wet Food: Wet cat food, especially those labeled as "kitten" or "poultry/meat varieties," can be a more affordable alternative to fresh meat. It provides moisture and contains a good amount of animal proteins that are beneficial for kittens. Wet food can be a delicious and nutritious option for your little carnivore.

Combining Meat with Other Foods: While feeding your kitten meat exclusively may not be feasible, you can try incorporating small amounts of cooked, boneless chicken or turkey into their diet. Mix it with other more affordable ingredients like cooked rice or mashed sweet potatoes to provide a balanced meal. Just ensure the meat is thoroughly cooked and doesn't contain any seasoning or harmful additives.

Consult a Veterinarian: If you're unsure about your kitten's specific dietary requirements or need further guidance, it's always best to consult a veterinarian. They can provide personalized advice based on your kitten's age, health, and nutritional needs.

Remember, a gradual transition to a new diet is important to avoid digestive upset. Monitor your kitten's eating habits, weight, and overall health to ensure they are thriving. And most importantly, shower them with love, care, and attention as they adjust to their new home. Best of luck with your adorable new addition!

If you're curious about the appropriate timing for introducing dry food to kittens, I recommend checking out this informative article: When Can Kittens Eat Dry Food? https://catfoodsavvy.com/when-can-kittens-eat-dry-food/. It provides valuable insights and guidelines on when and how to transition kittens to a dry food diet. Happy reading and best wishes for your little furball's nutritional journey!

(1) (Reply)

Boerboel Lovers Corner / Senegal Parrots And Adorable Love Birds For Sale / Who’s Stonger Between A Cane Corso And A Caucasian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.