Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List (76198 Views)

"I Did Not Come To Buy Human Being" - Groom Ran After Seeing Marriage List!! / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Marriage Price List In Benue State - Igbo Lady Shares Brother's Marriage List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by bedspread: 4:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
HungerBAD:
Reading

This sounds interesting. Story not complete. Joeruano complete this story.

Joeruano thanks for completing the story.

I try not to talk about my personal stuff on Nairaland,but will make an exception today and tell a story before commenting on yours.

I am a Niger Deltan like you too,and a couple of months ago,my younger sister got married. I am also the oldest child and my dad is late(RIP) and so I am the Head of the family.

I had known her husband to be for a couple of years,and I know him to be a struggling young man,who is into different businesses and trying to survive.

Sometimes, without telling anyone, I push little contracts for him to handle so as to meet up,since he never once approached me for money considering the fact he knows I am on the okay side.

I liked him then,and I like him now. I wished him my inlaw,which he eventually became. I consider him a younger brother and that was how I treated him.

My Sister too, a beautiful young lady works for one of those organizations that pays in the 200k region . My sister is also a prudent woman who I know does not spend money on petty things.

When it was time for marriage. They approached me,and after giving them my blessing, I agreed they should go ahead and plan their marriage in Lagos. Later my mother started giving me heat that we should not ignore tradition,and out of pressure from more of my mothers family, I asked them to go get the list from the village.

When they brought the list, the young man went into a very sad mood and my sister called me complaining that village people want to destroy her marriage.

I will finish this story tomorrow. I am about to go take care of some personal matters.

My bro pls u must finish this Experience of yours..
A lot of Young guys out there have left promising unions due to this issue

2 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Aplaudez(m): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2018
HungerBAD:
Reading

This sounds interesting. Story not complete. Joeruano complete this story.

Joeruano thanks for completing the story.

I try not to talk about my personal stuff on Nairaland,but will make an exception today and tell a story before commenting on yours.

I am a Niger Deltan like you too,and a couple of months ago,my younger sister got married. I am also the oldest child and my dad is late(RIP) and so I am the Head of the family.

I had known her husband to be for a couple of years,and I know him to be a struggling young man,who is into different businesses and trying to survive.

Sometimes, without telling anyone, I push little contracts for him to handle so as to meet up,since he never once approached me for money considering the fact he knows I am on the okay side.

I liked him then,and I like him now. I wished him my inlaw,which he eventually became. I consider him a younger brother and that was how I treated him.

My Sister too, a beautiful young lady works for one of those organizations that pays in the 200k region . My sister is also a prudent woman who I know does not spend money on petty things.

When it was time for marriage. They approached me,and after giving them my blessing, I agreed they should go ahead and plan their marriage in Lagos. Later my mother started giving me heat that we should not ignore tradition,and out of pressure from more of my mothers family, I asked them to go get the list from the village.

When they brought the list, the young man went into a very sad mood and my sister called me complaining that village people want to destroy her marriage.

I will finish this story tomorrow. I am about to go take care of some personal matters.

This is unfair, why will you be doing it in half complete the story Biko
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2018
stasiaannie:
look at what you posted and ask your self "
do i have sense?"

undecided
kuboro anye, yak atang ndisime

1 Like

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by prettyangel10(f): 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2018
legitnow:
YORUBA WOMEN NEED TO START DEMANDING BRIDE PRICE FROM YORUBA MEN IF EVER THEY WANT TO BE VALUED AND RESPECTED.

THE FREE OF CHARGE YORUBA WOMEN HAVE CAUSED THE AVERAGE YORUBA MAN TO BECOME IRRESPONSIBLE.

U CAN IMAGINE A GROWN ASS MAN EXPECTING HIS PROSPECTIVE INLAWS TO FOOT HIS WEDDING EXPENSES BECOS HE IS DOING DEM A FAVOUR BY MARRYING THEIR DAUGHTER, THAT HE WILL USE AND LATER DUMP FOR ANOTHER FREE OF CHARGE YORUBA WOMAN.

YORUBA WOMEN, WISE UP AND COLLECT BRIDE PRICE FROM YOUR MEN TO BE RESPECTED.

You have verbal diarrhea, You seriously need to get help asap.

13 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Aplaudez(m): 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2018
joeruano:
Without the doubt, bride price is a cultural right in most parts of Nigeria. Marrying from some places is very easy and doesn’t require anyone breaking the bank. Most times, it affects relationship as the loud undertone is that one can’t settle with the love of their life if they are not extremely wealthy .

I could remember vividly when my girl cousin was to get married she was super excited and couldn’t wait to tie up the knot with her Yoruba boo. She told her mum about the guy’s intention and the mum told her dad. Hoops the marriage plan began, I know that day as I was about stepping from my home for the college when she called and said Cyndi my fiancé will be visiting our home on Friday this week and I want you to be around.

Well, let’s fast forward the whole story, the fiancé came and after plenty eating and laughing, my uncle took him to the village to meet with some village heads and family members that matters, at the end of that day he was issued a list and that list was tagged Requirements for a traditional Marriage Ceremony in Nsit Atai L.G.A.

He went back to Lagos where he is based and didn’t speak with my cousin for days. Worries piled up in her heart and she burst to tears when she told me of the ordeal she went through, I asked, so why didn’t you call him cousin, she said I did, most times when he picks up he says Edidiong am busy can I call you back later and that day will roll pass he won’t call me. What bites me the most is the fact that he calls me my name and not the sweetie he used to call. I then knew something was wrong.

Days rolled into weeks and here I am still wondering what might have gone wrong with my boo to be. I called his best friend Olawale who was kind enough to talk some sense into him and the following day he called me. All he said was Edidiong please I need you to board the next flight tomorrow to Lagos we have a serious issue I need us to talk about.

He sent me the flight code and I prepared for Lagos. I arrived Lagos at about 12.32pm, he was already their waiting for me, he hugged him and I felt he must have missed me, but then I said to myself if he did then why the cold attitude towards me. Well, we headed for his home and I had my shower and ate something.

Edidiong he said we need to talk, I said okay am all hears. He started with so much Eulogy and I said why sing my praises when you practically abandoned me and made my heart aches for days, your silence was enough to send me to my early grave.

Am so sorry but I didn’t know what to do nor think, I became helpless when your family head handed me the lists to our Traditional Marriage. Oh but why didn’t you show me the list before you left for Lagos, I couldn’t bring myself to show you how angry and disappointed I was he said, Disappointed?
Bro where is the concluding part of the story?
this suspense is unfair Biko
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
If you no get money marry Akwa Ibom go for Yoruba if you can’t afford that too, then don’t marry at all. Why will a jobless man even plan of marrying self? Nigeria youth no sabi pass marriage and giving birth to children in proverty.
Now I see why Buhari call Nigeria youth jobless.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
prettyrits:
You're an idiot to call Akwa Ibom people Calabar. You should be knowledgeable enough to realize that, Calabar is in another state,outside of Akwa Ibom state.
so is that why u called him an idiot when it's obvious that calabar and akwa ibom are brothers when it comes to language, culture and they even bear the same names.

4 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Ikpongiton: 4:45pm On Sep 07, 2018
Akathriel:

What exactly is wrong with these Akwa-Ibom people? Little wonder their region is so underdeveloped & rife with jobless militants looking for Oyinbo to kidnap for ramsom. Aside that, the only thing they do best is hunting innocent Ekuke (dog meat) upandan. grin

One native goat, One black goat. How many goats do they slaughter during their traditional wedding? No wonder GEJ couldn't move Nigeria an inch forward since he was just busy eating Asun & drinking cartons of Sapele Water in Asorock. grin

You better warn your covetous & uncultured village heads to desist from this dastard & impious act of subjecting your prospective in-laws to committing a broad-day robbery by putting their necks on the chopping board - Nagode! grin
this one must be aboki.men without head,only good in terrorism

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2018
prettyrits:
You're an idiot to call Akwa Ibom people Calabar. You should be knowledgeable enough to realize that, Calabar is in another state,outside of Akwa Ibom state.
so is that why u called him an idiot when it's obvious that calabar and akwa ibom are brothers when it comes to language, culture and they even bear the same names.
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by dongalaxy(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2018
Me too
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by donparosky(m): 4:47pm On Sep 07, 2018
eyene eka it's a cancer that we must all rise against in unity. Truth be told, this is d singular reason we having high number of unmarried ladies in Akwa Ibom.
Less I forget, the burial list is another canker worm rendering families broke and disunited.
I keep wondering who we really offended in this part of the country.
churches innovating ways of making money
families innovating ways of exploiting suitors
elders innovating ways of exploiting the bereaved
Govt innovating ways of milking our resources
abasi mmi ke enyong
nsutor nkpor
Akam kpukpuru owo mbok ndito eka

6 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by CaptainFM1: 4:48pm On Sep 07, 2018
salt1:
[url][/url]

What the op wrote is so true. Because the cost is so high, the men tend to marry much younger women. You won't blame them : they want good value for their investment.

The church in Akwa Ibom has risen up to confront this.
I know that in Apostolic Faith, if both man and woman belong to the church, the family list will be sent to the District Overseer for screening. He will cross off all offensive items and write down what the groom should pay as bride price and ask them to return it to the family. If the family rejects, he will advise the young man to look for another wife. By the time the lady weeps out her eyes, her family will invite the groom and accept whatever was approved by the church.

I know of a couple that just went through this in March and eventually got married. The girl's family came down from demanding N1.5m bride price to accepting all-expense of N200k for the traditional marriage.

If other churches follow suit, things will change

That's perhaps the negotiation I'm talking about. Every case will be different.....You don't have to let the lady cry her eyes out!

2 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by OneKinGuy(m): 4:48pm On Sep 07, 2018
Let me give u an advice, Elope with your Bae asap!

1 Like

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:52pm On Sep 07, 2018
spiceadole:
What concerns Yoruba man with Akwa Ibom lady?
What do they have in common?
.. Ntoro uduang ufok people. For that matter.

I sincerely blame the lady for having anything to do with a yoloba demon.
I also blame her family for not advising her appropriately.
Yoloba man that keep mistresses in every town?

What ever happened to getting one Yoruba lady pregnant and Marrying her for free?

Must he marry from akwa ibom?
Men from akwa ibom have been marrying and are still marrying Akwa ibom women without complains.

Yes! Some lists can be exorbitant but people do bargain.
Besides, marriage doesn't end one day.
So you provide what you can..

hehehehe ediye mma afo odu ke mmong? yak no fi ekpeme min small stout for this your comment cheesy
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by QDubz(m): 4:52pm On Sep 07, 2018
Fact is the list aint complete sef!

You wld also pay bride price to the youth of the village (mkpo mparawa idong)..
Transport to brng the bride during traditional marriage (if the girl has lots of sisters/friends na die u dey).
You wld give you list of tins to buy for her grand parents maternal/paternal (mkpo mme ette ette mme eka eka)...
I jst weak 4my ppl

5 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by hollah123: 4:54pm On Sep 07, 2018
legitnow:
YORUBA NEED TO STOP MEDIA ABUSE AND BLACKMAIL.

THEY ARE LITTERING THE INTERNET WITH ALOT OF STUPIDITY.

IMAGINE A GROWN MAN CRYING ABOUT AKWA IBOM MARRIAGE RITE.

YET HE IS BLIND TO THE EXTORTIONIST BABALOJA AND MAMALOJA YORUBA CULTURE OF GOING TO THE MARKET TO COLLECT MONEY FROM TRADERS FOR NOTHING.

u are talking about what u don't know
babaloja n mamaloja are quite different,they are appointed there by market people to lead them so their work is strictly restricted to market not marriage,in Yoruba land nobody dey collect anything from anybody cos they will tell u strictly that they are not selling their daughter.so calm down n understand b4 u talk

8 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:55pm On Sep 07, 2018
sacramento1212:

Afo ame diok inua oooo grin
lol the girl na savage
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by pocohantas(f): 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2018
Iamgrey5:
This is supposed to be an educative thread, but kids without life outside the cyberspace have messed it up.

one idiot is actually commenting with two monikers at the same time

Educative ke? This is just another thread for tribal bashing. That list much sha!!

2 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Brainardc(m): 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2018
From all indication, it seems this is an outright sale of their daughters
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by DateMynd44(m): 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
Iamgrey5:
This is supposed to be an educative thread, but kids without life outside the cyberspace have messed it up.

one idiot is actually commenting with two monikers at the same time
lol that's the height of joblessness grin
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by movetoca: 4:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
ocelot2006:

It will be appreciated if you dont insult my state. Why generalize? In as much as it is true that some our bride prices are high (and I strongly detest that), it doesnt happen everywhere. I married much childhood sweetheart from Obot Akara LGA, yet my in-laws didn't hand me a massive list as they were quite considerate.

One more thing, i can't remember the last time an expatriate was kidnapped in Akwa Ibom. And with the type of infrastructures we have here, my village probably has a far better road network than your state as a whole.

Oh yeah, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is from Bayelsa state, not Akwa Ibom.
Nice response. It's a shame so called youths doesn't even know anything about other states or regions. Akwa Ibom is 3000% better and more developed than his state.

5 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by xapo(m): 4:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
Akathriel:

What exactly is wrong with these Akwa-Ibom people? Little wonder their region is so underdeveloped & rife with jobless militants looking for Oyinbo to kidnap for ramsom. Aside that, the only thing they do best is hunting innocent Ekuke (dog meat) upandan. grin

One native goat, One black goat. How many goats do they slaughter during their traditional wedding? No wonder GEJ couldn't move Nigeria an inch forward since he was just busy eating Asun & drinking cartons of Sapele Water in Asorock. grin

You better warn your covetous & uncultured village heads to desist from this dastard & impious act of subjecting your prospective in-laws to committing a broad-day robbery by putting their necks on the chopping board - Nagode! grin
you are very stupid

2 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by sacramento1212: 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
DateMynd44:
lol the girl na savage

Lol...but she's saying the truth only that ndo ke obio uta afang asung udua akan akwa-ibom. List ado can be negotiated but some people go just enter dey claim wetin dem no be. So families go deal with you na.
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by hopexter(m): 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2018
joeruano:
@ Akathriel, that list is even relatively very civil, lenient and God-fearing. Take a look at this:

(Just page 1 of 6 Imagine what's in the rest 5 pages)

Imagine such a man with 8 other female children. He's a millionaire cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by urose93(f): 5:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Akathriel:

Please stop sounding as if you are insulting Akwaibomites. Akwa Ibom State for your information is one of the most well developed States in Nigeria. Don't be an ethnic bigot. Every other bullshit you put up there is borne out of gross ignorance and isn't worth any attention.

4 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by hollah123: 5:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
legitnow:
[s][/s]

THAT WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTED.

BUHARI COLLECTED 12 GOLD COINS FOR ZAHRA.

IT IS ONLY YORUBA DAT IS FREE AND ARE PEOPLE RUSHING YORUBA WOMEN?

NO!
u are just a dingbat crying all over the thread with your obsession with Yorubas

4 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by jessedaflow: 5:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
WAIT O THIS HUGE PAYMENT UR DAD SAID HE DID THEN IS IT B4 OR AFTER THE CIVIL WAR, MAYBE HE DID HIS WEN 1BAG OF RICE WAS 1KB
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by hollah123: 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

In our yorubaland, almost every yoruba child has a half-brother or half-sister. The thing tire me abeg.
just b specific bro,only in your family by your adulterous mother.dont drag everyone in the mud

3 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by femi4: 5:07pm On Sep 07, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

In our yorubaland, almost every yoruba child has a half-brother or half-sister. The thing tire me abeg.
Speak for your miserable family

5 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by hollah123: 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

Calm down my dear yoruba muslim brother, you might even be my 10th half brother from my yoruba mother, who knows? grin
ohhh,now I see.u are just a Yoruba wannabe from d lost tribe.see u n legitnow mastubating all over d thread.must u always drag Yoruba into your dance of shame

4 Likes

Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by Iamgrey5(m): 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
pocohantas:

Educative ke? This is just another thread for tribal bashing. That list much sha!!

lol, true

Nonetheless, people could learn one or two things regarding the Akwaibom people sha.
Re: How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List by sacramento1212: 5:09pm On Sep 07, 2018
xapo:
you are very stupid

Idiok unam ikot ke ye ado grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet Parents Of Boy In Calm Down Viral Video (photos) / My Guy's Marriage Crashed In Less Than 3 Months. / Dead Man Grabs Brother’s Hands In Mortuary In Jos, Plateau State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.