Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:10 PM

FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded (56969 Views)

Ballon D’or 2024: Super Eagles Winger Ademola Lookman Makes 30-Man Shortlist / #TheBest FIFA Men's Player of the year: Salah makes three-man shortlist / Lionel Messi, Ibrahimovic In FIFA 10-man Shortlist For 2019 Puskas Award(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Olumeme: 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2018
Congratulations to Modric. Penaldo can't get this one... It's a pity

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by scantee(m): 4:37pm On Sep 03, 2018
Is obvious now that league performance, world cup or any tournament don't matters again , since everything is now channel to only champions league winners.

Messi with highest goals and assists in Europe top league last season yet he was not included.

A.Griezman was outstanding, winning WC, Uefa Super Cup, Europa League. Yet ommited just because he didn't win CL.

Nonsense
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2018
Squillaci:

2010 world cup who won it? Who won the world best? 2014 nko?
What was the award's name in 2010?

The influence of French Magazine is no longer there. This is strictly FIFA's affair
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
What was the award's name in 2010?

The influence of French Magazine is no longer there. This is strictly FIFA's affair

The criteria for world best was changed in 2007. Check fifa.com
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2018
ollah2:

Griezman played better than the three contestants.
Lionel Messi played better than CR7 domestically but the earlier isn't there
Cr7 edged him in CL.
Sallah and modric played well in all competitions while the earlier won nothing, the latter won CL.

Grizeman didn't only played well but was also consistent. He was consistent for the whole season alongside world cup.

It's now a popularity contest.
Griezman played in a lesser competition in Europe I.e Europa and that knocked him out.

The FIFA player of the year must do well at the elite Europe competition i.e UCL and the World cup
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by gmercy713: 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2018
tesppidd:
don't fool yourself.

both ronaldo and messi will not be on the podium.

messi was not nominated.

a day before the award ronaldo will learn that modric has won and he will skip the award ceremony and cry.

sense will not kill me!

Lol.....

You got it right? maybe we can wait till then.
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by donbenie(m): 4:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
FortifiedCity:
grin grin grin grin

Worshipppers of messi right now
Only ONE winner and I will bet you it would not be Ronaldo..and he will STILL CRY AGAIN. : grin grin
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by AYFikayomi: 4:55pm On Sep 03, 2018
Amanda333:
Everyday is not Christmas, i believe one day Cr7 maybe excluded. Pls u guys should stop insulting someone(messi) who is better than you

I love football
I love messi like wise Cr7 but sincerely i prefer messi, any day and time
Nobody should should quote me and type rubbish maka ura ���

CR has been excluded in the past... Messi has been the most consistent in Top 3
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 4:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Squillaci:

The criteria for world best was changed in 2007. Check fifa.com
This particular one was revived in 2016 and ex players are involved not journalist

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by AYFikayomi: 5:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
This particular one was revived in 2016 and ex players are involved not journalist

Quite the opposite, Journalists would decide the winner this year not players and coaches
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by AYFikayomi: 5:04pm On Sep 03, 2018
[quote author=Tomoyayi post=70869245]

Bros, no be me talk am... Me just dey point out the obvious, no trophies to show for all the goals and assist. We all know what Messi of old was capable of, so yea He is on a decline. [/quote

Dumb talk or you mean no Champions league?
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
Even at that.
In the world cup years before 2010, it went to a world cup winner which modric is not.
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Olifiz(m): 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2018
dominique:

That's because world cup performance is not the only criteria used to pick best player, if not the likes of George Weah would never have won. Club performance counts as well. CR7 won champions league with REAL but didn't go far in the word cup , what did Messi win with Barcelona and Argentina?

Pls Messi had a double last season liga Cup n Copa de Rey n Spanish super cup. Had the overall highest goals in Europe. Highest assist in Europe for last season. Got the European golden boot.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by somad: 5:08pm On Sep 03, 2018
modric all the way
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 5:09pm On Sep 03, 2018
AYFikayomi:

Quite the opposite, Journalists would decide the winner this year not players and coaches
I m referring to the selection panel. The journalist can only contribute 25% in the final voting.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Esdb3: 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jokerman:
Lol... the so called goat.... grin

goat it's fifa best not puskas. an award of two years ago that's like purposeless because it is based on the champions league only the puskas aspect makes sense
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2018
Squillaci:

Even at that.
In the world cup years before 2010, it went to a world cup winner which modric is not.
You said Winner? Winning the World cup is a plus, you can have a fantastic World cup without winning it. And you can win a World cup without having a fantastic tournament e.g Giroud

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
You said Winner? Winning the World cup is a plus, you can have a fantastic World cup without winning it. And you can win a World cup without having a fantastic tournament e.g Giroud
Did whole point of modric winning the world cup is his performance in the world cup. Again, it has always gone to a world cup winner before 2007. And performance in the world cup is not always the main factor(a one month tournament) if not Ronaldinho would not have made the list in 2006.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Tomoyayi(m): 5:22pm On Sep 03, 2018
[quote author=AYFikayomi post=70870691][/quote]

You be mumu, when does only scoring goals and assist without wining trophies win you world's best
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by STILESGANG: 5:26pm On Sep 03, 2018
Bleep fifa, are they telling us that sallah had a better season than messi shocked
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 03, 2018
nelsonebby:
Salah Ahead of Messi ?
This is so wrong
What did Salah achieve last season he didn't even come second Messi won Laliga, Europe top scorer, Spanish top scorer come out of World cup group Stage
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2018
TimeManager:

38 league games, a domestic cup and being Europe's top scorer don't count for much?. slap yourself.
World cup disappointment denied messi a podium finish.

kiss the truth!
Salah won world cup with Ronaldo guy take ammm easy
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2018
Squillaci:

Did whole point of modric winning the world cup is his performance in the world cup. Again, it has always gone to a world cup winner before 2007. And performance in the world cup is not always the main factor(a one month tournament) if not Ronaldinho would not have made the list in 2006.
Its about individual performance, winning title is an edge if you want to choose between two players with outstanding performance in the same tournament

Modric was excellent in UCL too

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by ollah2: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
Griezman played in a lesser competition in Europe I.e Europa and that knocked him out.

The FIFA player of the year must do well at the elite Europe competition i.e UCL and the World cup

Europa been lesser than UCL isn't a reason at all. Sallah won nothing, Ronaldo and Modric won only UCL. Grizeman won World cup, Europa and UEFA super cup while been second on the table. This is total robbery on the person of Grizeman. He even scored in the finals of all these competitions. This is a complete robbery

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
Its about individual performance, winning title is an edge if you want to choose between two players with outstanding performance in the same tournament

Modric was excellent in UCL too

Really? Was Ronaldo better than oliver kahn in 2002? Remember he didn't player in 2002 before the world cup. Kahn even won the player of the tournament in the only major competition de lima really played.
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by gurunlocker: 5:40pm On Sep 03, 2018
ollah2:

Europa been lesser than UCL isn't a reason at all. Sallah won nothing, Ronaldo and Modric won only UCL. Grizeman won World cup, Europa and UEFA super cup while been second on the table. This is total robbery on the person of Grizeman. He even scored in the finals of all these competitions. This is a complete robbery

Still surprised Griezmann isn't in the final list, I mean is FIFA high? A World Cup winner, he performed in Europa league and also won the super cup. He is a deserve winner for this.

Salah has no business there as he didn't win anything. Imagine Ronaldo having Griezmann performance and miss out? Is that even possible?

It will make no sense for someone that only perform for 3 or 4 months out of the 12 months in a calendar year to win the award.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Dondave11: 5:42pm On Sep 03, 2018
Viking007:
Good bless you for this.
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by gurunlocker: 5:42pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:

What do you mean by Griezmann played in a lesser competition? Because it's Europa league?

Just imagine this, Real Madrid playing in Europa league and Ronaldo had same performance as Griezmann in the competition and also winning the World Cup and UEFA super cup. Will Ronaldo miss out in this situation?
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Viking007(m): 5:43pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dondave11:
Bro, pls can you help nd sacrifice 2h on my pfp game.. 10888513
No.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by femi4: 5:45pm On Sep 03, 2018
gurunlocker:

What do you mean by Griezmann played in a lesser competition? Because it's Europa league?

Just imagine this, Real Madrid playing in Europa league and Ronaldo had same performance as Griezmann in the competition and also winning the World Cup and UEFA super cup. Will Ronaldo miss out in this situation?
Europa has never and will never produce World best. Argue with your keyboard

Its not about Ronaldo but the criteria
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by Dondave11: 5:45pm On Sep 03, 2018
Viking007:
No.
Alright. Thanks for your response.
Re: FIFA Releases 3-Man Shortlist For Best Player, Lionel Messi Excluded by gurunlocker: 5:47pm On Sep 03, 2018
femi4:
Europa has never and will never produce World best. Argue with your keyboard

SMH..... But winning UCL only can make you the best? Winning World Cup and UEFA super cup can't even if Europa league can't produce world best?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Argentina's Central Bank Is Considering A Lionel Messi Bank Note / Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for coronavirus. / Kenyan Football Fan Peels His Skin To Show Support To A Team (Disturbing)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.