Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says (1301 Views)

Childless Marriage : See What Happened To This Lady (picture) / Akinwunmi Adesina: Stop Marrying Small Girls; Marry Your Age Mates / Thirteen Years Of Friendship Resulted Into Marriage, See Pre-wedding Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by lawman88(m): 8:54pm On Sep 09, 2018
So many ladies love statutory marriage (court wedding) because of it stringent dissolution procedures. But unknown to them, the MARRIAGE ACT [/b]and [b]MATRIMONIAL CAUSES ACT [/b]are double edge swords that can favour any of the spouse in case of divorce.

I did court wedding with my wife also and she felt that she has ‘won’ though I don’t know what she won. My wife is a staunch catholic woman and I’m Pentecostal guy. Recently I told her to start attending my church and leave catholic. She said “I can’t”. so I told her that I will send her out of my house and she retorted [b]“THE MARRIAGE ACT MADE IT MANDATORY FOR US TO LIVE TOGETHER FOR THREE YEARS”

I laughed and decided to educate her about the position of the law. According to section 40 of the MARRIAGE ACT: “Whoever in any affidavit, declaration, certificate, license, document, or statement by law to be made or issued for the purposes of a marriage, declares, enters, certifies or states any material matter which is false, shall, if he does so without having taken reasonable means to ascertain the truth or falsity of such matter, be liable to imprisonment for one year, or shall, if he does so knowing that such matter is false, be liable to imprisonment for five years.”

By this provision, when you know your REAL AGE and decided to tell FALSE AGE in order to contract marriage, you are liable to five years imprisonment. Unfortunately for my beloved wife, her age on the wedding certificate is not her real age and I have a lot of evidence to proved that because her age on her national and Voters ID cards are different from the one on marriage certificate.

Secondary, section 3, subsection one, of the MATRIMONIAL CAUSES ACT (2004) state thus:

[b]“Subject to the provisions of this section, a marriage that takes
place after the commencement of this Act is void in any of the following cases but not otherwise, that is to say, where-

(a) either of the parties is, at the time of the marriage, lawfully married to some other person;

(b) the parties are within the prohibited degrees of consanguinity or, subject to section 4 of this Act, of affinity;

(c) the marriage is not a valid marriage under the law of the place where the marriage takes place, by reason of a failure to comply with the requirements of the law of that place with respect to the form of solemnisation of marriages;

(d) the consent of either of the parties is not a real consent because-

(i) it was obtained by duress or fraud; or

(ii) that party is mistaken as to identity of the other party, or as to the nature of the ceremony performed; or

(iii) that party is mentally incapable of understand- ing the nature of the marriage contract;

(e) either of the parties is not of marriageable age.
[/b]

So, by provision of paragraph D (i), lying about age is termed as “fraud” and your consent was gotten through fraud. Therefore, the court marriage is void abinitio. After I intimated my wife, she sought legal counsel from a legal professional who validated my submission. Since them, MY WIFE became cool and behaving nice. I never plan to divorce my wife or send her away, I just intimidated her so that she can cool down. The court wedding got into her head because she was the first person to do court wedding in her family. Don’t let any lady come and do yanga on top of your properties because of court marriage. WHEN SHE LIE ABOUT HER AGE LEAVE HER, that is a good ground to void the marriage anytime without any settlement. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVIDENCE THAT SHE LIED ABOUT HER AGE. Check supreme court ruling on Blessing Eniola VS Adekunle A (NLR Cap 33). I don't time to type the judgement here.

A MOD SHOULD PLEASE TAKE THIS TO FP SO THAT PEOPLE WILL LEARN. We are all learning

Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by ourkobo: 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
so u are going to break up with ur wife because she refused to attend your mushroom church.

what happened to those choir girls in ur church, why didn't u marry one. instead of trying to jeopardize the future of ur wife.

use head bro.
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by Chikebranny123(m): 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
What are we learning
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by lawman88(m): 9:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Chikebranny123:
What are we learning

learn about the position of the law undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by DaddyNimo(m): 9:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
wonder why catholic brides don't always wanna move to Pentecostal with their grooms.... in a similar situation. but na after wedding she go know how far
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by Shugavee(f): 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
lawman88:
So many ladies love statutory marriage (court wedding) because of it stringent dissolution procedures. But unknown to them, the MARRIAGE ACT [/b]and [b]MATRIMONIAL CAUSES ACT [/b]are double edge swords that can favour any of the spouse in case of divorce.

I did court wedding with my wife also and she felt that she has ‘won’ though I don’t know what she won. My wife is a staunch catholic woman and I’m Pentecostal guy. Recently I told her to start attending my church and leave catholic. She said “I can’t”. so I told her that I will send her out of my house and she retorted [b]“THE MARRIAGE ACT MADE IT MANDATORY FOR US TO LIVE TOGETHER FOR THREE YEARS”

I laughed and decided to educate her about the position of the law. According to section 40 of the MARRIAGE ACT: “Whoever in any affidavit, declaration, certificate, license, document, or statement by law to be made or issued for the purposes of a marriage, declares, enters, certifies or states any material matter which is false, shall, if he does so without having taken reasonable means to ascertain the truth or falsity of such matter, be liable to imprisonment for one year, or shall, if he does so knowing that such matter is false, be liable to imprisonment for five years.”

By this provision, when you know your REAL AGE and decided to tell FALSE AGE in order to contract marriage, you are liable to five years imprisonment. Unfortunately for my beloved wife, her age on the wedding certificate is not her real age and I have a lot of evidence to proved that because her age on her national and Voters ID cards are different from the one on marriage certificate.

Secondary, section 3, subsection one, of the MATRIMONIAL CAUSES ACT (2004) state thus:

[b]“Subject to the provisions of this section, a marriage that takes
place after the commencement of this Act is void in any of the following cases but not otherwise, that is to say, where-

(a) either of the parties is, at the time of the marriage, lawfully married to some other person;

(b) the parties are within the prohibited degrees of consanguinity or, subject to section 4 of this Act, of affinity;

(c) the marriage is not a valid marriage under the law of the place where the marriage takes place, by reason of a failure to comply with the requirements of the law of that place with respect to the form of solemnisation of marriages;

(d) the consent of either of the parties is not a real consent because-

(i) it was obtained by duress or fraud; or

(ii) that party is mistaken as to identity of the other party, or as to the nature of the ceremony performed; or

(iii) that party is mentally incapable of understand- ing the nature of the marriage contract;

(e) either of the parties is not of marriageable age.
[/b]

So, by provision of paragraph D (i), lying about age is termed as “fraud” and your consent was gotten through fraud. Therefore, the court marriage is void abinitio. After I intimated my wife, she sought legal counsel from a legal professional who validated my submission. Since them, MY WIFE became cool and behaving nice. I never plan to divorce my wife or send her away, I just intimidated her so that she can cool down. The court wedding got into her head because she was the first person to do court wedding in her family. Don’t let any lady come and do yanga on top of your properties because of court marriage. WHEN SHE LIE ABOUT HER AGE LEAVE HER, that is a good ground to void the marriage anytime without any settlement. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVIDENCE THAT SHE LIED ABOUT HER AGE. Check supreme court ruling on Blessing Eniola VS Adekunle A (NLR Cap 33). I don't time to type the judgement here.

A MOD SHOULD PLEASE TAKE THIS TO FP SO THAT PEOPLE WILL LEARN. We are all learning
nice, now I know
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by lawman88(m): 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
ourkobo:
so u are going to break up with ur wife because she refused to attend your mushroom church.

what happened to those choir girls in ur church, why didn't u marry one. instead of trying to jeopardize the future of ur wife.

use head bro.

Next time, read the story to the end before you comment

1 Like

Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by LuciferKristi: 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
Unfortunately for pocohantas, she can't falsify her age. The wrinkles on her face, breast & tongue clearly shows she is above 35.

1 Like

Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by DaddyNimo(m): 9:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
ourkobo:

use head bro.
your mad, so it's groom that moves to brides church after wedding in ur family? you don't have sense.
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by lawman88(m): 9:23pm On Sep 09, 2018
LuciferKristi:
Unfortunately for pocohantas, she can't falsify her age. The wrinkles on her face, breast & tongue clearly shows she is above 35.

oga, the law does not determine age by mere look or appearance. you have to have a documentary evidence. the easy ways to know a lady's age is to check her primary school cert., baptismal cert., identity cards. if you see variation in the DoB, photocopy the doc and keep in case dissolution arise tomorrow, you can table that to prove the application of section 40 of the marriage act and section 3 of the matrimonial causes act
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by ourkobo: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
DaddyNimo:

your mad, so it's groom that moves to brides church after wedding in ur family? you don't have sense.

didn't he know she's a Catholic before marrying her?

now why using it as an excuse to cause problems?
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by LuciferKristi: 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2018
lawman88:

oga, the law does not determine age by mere look or appearance. you have to have a documentary evidence. the easy ways to know a lady's age is to check her primary school cert., baptismal cert., identity cards. if you see variation in the DoB, photocopy the doc and keep in case dissolution arise tomorrow, you can table that to prove the application of section 40 of the marriage act and section 3 of the matrimonial causes act

I don't need any stupid document to know pocohantas is over 35 neither do I need a lawyer who never graduated from Law School to tell me.

Good lawyers don't always have time to stay online inspecting threads, they are usually too busy with actual clients.
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by DaddyNimo(m): 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
ourkobo:

didn't he know she's a Catholic before marrying her?

now why using it as an excuse to cause problems?
didn't she know she would change church before agreeing to marry him? think nigger
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by Lordbucci2: 7:07am On Sep 10, 2018
DaddyNimo:
wonder why catholic brides don't always wanna move to Pentecostal with their grooms.... in a similar situation. but na after wedding she go know how far
. That is deceit ...
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by DaddyNimo(m): 8:14am On Sep 10, 2018
Lordbucci2:
. That is deceit ...
nop that's doing things the right way...how can I do wedding in my brides church and den start going to her church...na she marry me abi na me marry her?? na she be head of family or me
Re: Lying About Your Age During Marriage: See What The Law Says by lawman88(m): 9:21am On Sep 10, 2018
LuciferKristi:

I don't need any stupid document to know pocohantas is over 35 neither do I need a lawyer who never graduated from Law School to tell me.

Good lawyers don't always have time to stay online inspecting threads, they are usually too busy with actual clients.

get well soon. i can see you are suffering fro depression

(1) (Reply)

Check Out This 8 Sex Positions That Will Hit Your center of gravity Every Time / Controversial Socialite Pretty Mike Buys Himself A Busty Sex Doll To Celebrate / Finger Condom: How To Use, Benefits, Side Effects And Precautions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.