Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,773 members, 7,820,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) (27876 Views)

African American School Boy Slaps His Mother In Viral Video / Differences Between American, British Grammar / Differences In American And Uk/nigerian Grading Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by CAPSLOCKED: 6:35pm On Sep 13, 2018
PRESENTATION:
We were here / we was here

So true

I DON'T WATCH AFRICAN AMERICAN MOVIES CUZ I NEVER UNDERSTAND THE THINGS THEY RANT ALL THROUGH. IT'S WORSE TRYING TO READ THEIR POSTS OR WRITE-UPS.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Jakumo(m): 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
My chit be all da way live. I ain't lyin, and I ain't gamin', 'cause you know das right, and you know what time it is.

Muffug fitna get up out dis mufug, hop in da hooptie, ridin' fo-deep, coppin a gansta lean, an gittin ready to go hang pipe wit da hoes, cause da chit be all about dem Benjamins.

But still dey be trippin' and tryna git ova on a muffug, cause dey forgits, I ain't 'bout nun o dat chit. I controes da hoes up in dis muffug.

Hell yeah, niggus is hip to that buuchit likes da muffug, becus dey momma dit'n raise no foos.

I will straight up bust a cap on they aszes, an den play it off like it ain't chit. I chit you not.

Ain't gats no time for nappy-head hoes gittin up in a muffug face, and actin all grown an' chit, jus because they gats dat poon-tang to sell an' chit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Jarus(m): 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
The author meant pidgin
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Xisnin(m): 6:48pm On Sep 13, 2018
traihit:
It's just a way of telling the world that an American is not the same as an African-American. With perhaps the former superior to the latter even in spoken and written English.
The heading is wrong. There are no such people as "American", those differences are between educated whites and uneducated or ghetto-raised blacks.

Uneducated whites also have their own distinct accent.

2 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Xisnin(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2018
TimiRume:
Africans should learn to speak their native languages better instead of comparing themselves to their Africa brethren they sold for pieces of mirror. Sorry if i sounded harsh.

Enjoy my siggy
There was no such thing as "African brethren", that is a modern invention.
Every tribe was for themselves.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by traihit: 6:54pm On Sep 13, 2018
Xisnin:

The heading is wrong. There are no such people as "American", those differences are between educated whites and uneducated or ghetto-raised blacks.

This seems to make it clearer.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by HarryDuce(m): 6:54pm On Sep 13, 2018
czarina:
Nailed.
Africans speak better English than blacks in America.
You should compare yourselves with whites in America then. Do you speak better English than whites in America?
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by traihit: 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I DON'T WATCH AFRICAN AMERICAN MOVIES CUZ I NEVER UNDERSTAND THE THINGS THEY RANT ALL THROUGH. IT'S WORSE TRYING TO READ THEIR POSTS OR WRITE-UPS.

I call it language creativity mismatched.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 6:56pm On Sep 13, 2018
dview001:
c'mon I thought we was like brovas(brothers)

why you gon look me like that

y'all be tripping for some douchebag , I ain't falling for no white ass muhfo'..ion get down like tha
Spit tha real ma nigga. Serious talk tho, most of these folks bashing don't know what black vernacular, black accent, ghetto talk is. That's what separates us from the whites, we don't speak same. Own that lingo bro
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by czarina(f): 6:56pm On Sep 13, 2018
HarryDuce:
You should compare yourselves with whites in America then. Do you speak better English than whites in America?
Blacks American English is the discourse. Try comprehending before quoting hun.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Mustiboy(m): 6:58pm On Sep 13, 2018
Xisnin:

I agree with you, brother.
many of the so called blacks aren't educated. you need to see the likes of Chris Brown, usher... etc speak in interviews - so many grammatical errors you'd wonder if they ever saw the four walls of school. and yes, uneducated white Americans also have their own distinct accents.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I actually love their movies and reading their write ups is no problem.Their accents differ from state to state.Example-The way Jay Z speaks(from New York) is different from the way Kendrick Lamar speaks(from California) and also from the way Gucci Mane speaks(from Georgia).But you listen to their songs,right?
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 6:59pm On Sep 13, 2018
traihit:

I call it language creativity mismatched.
Aren't you a Nigerian? Talk your own talk. Just like pidgin English, won't be fair if a black American bashes your pidgin English or what not that you speak. Talk your talk. Except I'm taking a written standard Exam that's specific. I'm gonna keep talking my talk
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 7:01pm On Sep 13, 2018
Mustiboy:
I agree with you, brother.
many of the so called blacks aren't educated. you need to see the likes of Chris Brown, usher... etc speak in interviews - so many grammatical errors you'd wonder if they ever saw the four walls of school. and yes, uneducated white Americans also have their own distinct accents.
It's a lingo. Quit the hate. I assure you their legal contracts are in top notch English angry . Black vernacular, Ebonics, blaccent. Get exposed.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by positivethought: 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
A photo of a book which 'captured' the difference between Standard American and African American English, is making rounds online. 

The difference according to the author of the book was mainly in word pronunciation and writing. Here is a photo of the book on the difference between Standard American and African American English below;  

https://lailasnews.com/trending-photo-of-book-on-difference-between-american-and-african-american-english/

I think it will also serve us better in Nigeria n Africa if will adopt our own peculiar form of English to conform with our written local dialects since our alphabets n pronunciation is almost same,may be we can call it Afroenglish n our spelling should be like 'kom' instead of "come' etc,I believe this will make learning easier n faster n also solve the problems of a common lingual franca in most of our diverse countries.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by traihit: 7:08pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:
Aren't you a Nigerian? Talk your own talk. Just like pidgin English, won't be fair if a black American bashes your pidgin English or what not that you speak. Talk your talk. Except I'm taking a written standard Exam that's specific. I'm gonna keep talking my talk

Be it as it may, the white man would have told us how to speak Yoruba, Hausa etc had it been in his power to do so. But this is English language with all the rules of usage and so on. Meanwhile, a typical black man can be said to be very creative when it comes to language. Now, using this creativity for the white man's language, is that not language creativity mismatched?
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by otipoju(m): 7:09pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

It’s. Its not about speaking right English, is about accent.
Both white and black hardly understand us.
You will hear I’m sorry, I’m sorry most time or excuse me.

Its deliberate...talk about money and they will hear everything you say

2 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by spiritedtete: 7:11pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

It’s. Its not about speaking right English, is about accent.
Both white and black hardly understand us.
You will hear I’m sorry, I’m sorry most time or excuse me.

Every tribe in the world has got accent... It's a pity how we subtitute own language... And also mock it.

One of the reasons why so many are dull in school "comprehension issues" and it's dragging an avarage african backward.

Fu-ck Ingliz!

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by mudiana(m): 7:12pm On Sep 13, 2018
Na Ghanian error pidgin English I dey see there. Ghanian pidgin English is an insult to pidgin English. Sorry to say this but this is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by otipoju(m): 7:12pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:
It's a lingo. Quit the hate. I assure you their legal contracts are in top notch English angry . Black vernacular, Ebonics, blaccent. Get exposed.

No.. they cant speak good english period.

I can speak cosmopolitan english and xan also speak Pidgin enlish which is our own form of Ebonics.

But when a man who can only speak ebonics start making fun of you speaking good english then something is not right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:
Just like the Jamaicans have their 'patois' and we West Africans have our 'Pidgin English'
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Icon79(m): 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2018
Which Africans speak better English then Black American
Keep deceiving yourself shocked

How can you speak better English than them when an average African immigrant is out there trying to copy the black American accents?
The saddest thing is, these folks often sound funny and stupid in their fake American accent embarassed

O pari

czarina:
Nailed.
Africans speak better English than blacks in America.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by HarryDuce(m): 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2018
czarina:
Blacks American English is the discourse. Try comprehending before quoting hun.
Yes hun. "Black American English" and standard American English not African English. No need to get feisty. You just made a blanket statement with no valid basis for comparison.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 7:17pm On Sep 13, 2018
traihit:

Be it as it may, the white man would have told us how to speak Yoruba, Hausa etc had it been in his power to do so. But this is English language with all the rules of usage and so on. Meanwhile, a typical black man can be said to be very creative when it comes to language. Now, using this creativity for the white man's language, is that not language creativity mismatched?
Good point but do you know the history of English language bro but guess what nobody owns shit no more. Yoruba is a native language, English is not tho we have American and British as the two runners in matters of dialect. American - white,black,latino etc. And it happens naturally that blacks would have their lingo, whites would , latinos would. So I'm gonna speak the way I want.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2018
raptex:
Just like the Jamaicans have their 'patois' and we West Africans have our 'Pidgin English'
You get it bro, we gon do what we want cool
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by czarina(f): 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2018
Icon79:
Which Africans speak better English then Black American
Keep deceiving yourself shocked

How can you speak better English than them when an average African immigrant is out there trying to copy the black American accents?
The saddest thing is, these folks often sound funny and stupid in their fake American accent embarassed

O pari

I wasn't referring to the wannabes.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 7:23pm On Sep 13, 2018
otipoju:

No.. they cant speak good english period.

I can speak cosmopolitan english and xan also speak Pidgin enlish which is our own form of Ebonics.

But when a man who can only speak ebonics start making fun of you speaking good english then something is not right.

You can write cosmopolitan not speak it sir. We have Blacks, Whites , Chinese, Indians Irish and so on and so forth who make up cosmopolitan. Nobody make fun of you speaking 'good' English
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by okwabayi(m): 7:24pm On Sep 13, 2018
Someone should create one for Nigerian English to pidgin. I met a lot of butty children back in my school days who couldn’t speak pidgin. It’s a good thing they learned it later on in life.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by zacksamericana(m): 7:24pm On Sep 13, 2018
Leetunechi:
My problem now is that my sister just broke up with her boyfriend that used to give me money when ever he visits
lazy
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by okwabayi(m): 7:26pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jakumo:
My chit be all da way live. I ain't lyin, and I ain't gamin', 'cause you know das right, and you know what time it is.

Muffug fitna get up out dis mufug, hop in da hooptie, ridin' fo-deep, coppin a gansta lean, an gittin ready to go hang pipe wit da hoes, cause da chit be all about dem Benjamins.

But still dey be trippin' and tryna git ova on a muffug, cause dey forgits, I ain't 'bout nun o dat chit. I controes da hoes up in dis muffug.

Hell yeah, niggus is hip to that buuchit likes da muffug, becus dey momma dit'n raise no foos.

I will straight up bust a cap on they aszes, an den play it off like it ain't chit. I chit you not.

Ain't gats no time for nappy-head hoes gittin up in a muffug face, and actin all grown an' chit, jus because they gats dat poon-tang to sell an' chit.
With this type of English no wonder they always get shot.
How this type wan explain to policeman say he mistakenly enter the wrong house rather than an alleged home invasion scenario?

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by HarryDuce(m): 7:32pm On Sep 13, 2018
traihit:

Hmm. This argument isn't quite convincing bro. You can as well argue why American English is different from the one spoken in Britain. The populations are both majority white after all. The differences are great but it's still English. I think you should also consider the fact that blacks didn't really mingle with the majority until about 60 years ago. They spoke English years before then with all the substandard education, no other language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNN To Host Conference On Witchcraft / Two Nigerian Students Drown In Malaysia (Photos) / Premature Baby Found Dead At Ignatius Ajuru University Female Hostel (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.