Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) (27873 Views)

African American School Boy Slaps His Mother In Viral Video / Differences Between American, British Grammar / Differences In American And Uk/nigerian Grading Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Jakumo(m): 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2018
okwabayi:

With this type of English no wonder they always get shot.
How this type wan explain to policeman say he mistakenly enter the wrong house rather than an alleged home invasion scenario?

I recall my first few years in California, and how I was mocked by black Americans who saw my way of speaking as "tryna talk proper an chit."

Took me years, to be able to follow the mumblings of street blacks, whose speech is so full of cuss words that an interpreter would have been hopelessly lost trying to decode the dialog.

Never had any problem understanding whites and even Hispanics, but black street lingo is in a league of its own, and totally off the mainstream.

4 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Boscolo: 7:42pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

It’s. Its not about speaking right English, is about accent.
Both white and black hardly understand us.
You will hear I’m sorry, I’m sorry most time or excuse me.

It is not about accent, everybody has accent. The problem is that we Nigerians pronounce word wrongly, if you don't pronouce a word correctly the 'whites' will find it difficult to make sense from what you are saying.

In Nigeria most words with 'TH' will often neglect or throw away the 'TH' and replace it with 'T'.
Example we pronounce teeth as tit or with as wit, Thank as tank. If you pronounce words correctly pple will find it easy to understand you. So the issue is not the accent as everyone Even the Brits and Americans all have accent. That is why when Obama speak his accent is different from that of Trump and both is different from that of Theresa May.

2 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Boscolo: 7:43pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

It is not about speaking right English, is about accent.

it’s. Its not about speaking right English, is about accent.
You will hear I’m sorry, I’m sorry most time or excuse me.[/quote]

It is not about accent, everybody has accent. The problem is that we Nigerians pronounce words wrongly, if you don't pronouce a word correctly the 'whites' will find it difficult to make sense from what you are saying.

In Nigeria most words with 'TH' will often neglect or throw away the 'TH' and replace it with 'T'.
Example we pronounce teeth as tit or with as wit, Thank as tank. If you pronounce words correctly pple will find it easy to understand you. So the issue is not the accent as everyone Even the Brits and Americans all have accent. That is why when Obama speaks his accent is different from that of Trump and both are different from that of Theresa May.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by traihit: 7:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
HarryDuce:
Hmm. This argument isn't quite convincing bro. You can as well argue why American English is different from the one spoken in Britain. The populations are both majority white after all. The differences are great but it's still English. I think you should also consider the fact that blacks didn't really mingle with the majority until about 60 years ago. They spoke English years before then with all the substandard education, no other language.

Whatever it is then... I'm leaving that for African-Americans and their American counterparts.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by traihit: 7:49pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:

Good point but do you know the history of English language bro but guess what nobody owns shit no more. Yoruba is a native language, English is not tho we have American and British as the two runners in matters of dialect. American - white,black,latino etc. And it happens naturally that blacks would have their lingo, whites would , latinos would. So I'm gonna speak the way I want.

Yes... but the white man would want us to follow a strict pattern of speaking the language not considering differences in individuals speaking the language. All ends in one part feeling painted as inferior.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Abagworo(m): 7:53pm On Sep 13, 2018
That one na Pidgin
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Wisebisho: 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

Objection.. It's not about accent, it's about speaking good English. If you go to school, you will forget the accent stuff, and speak good English.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I DON'T WATCH AFRICAN AMERICAN MOVIES CUZ I NEVER UNDERSTAND THE THINGS THEY RANT ALL THROUGH. IT'S WORSE TRYING TO READ THEIR POSTS OR WRITE-UPS.

But most of their movies have good scene though.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Fitbillionairep: 8:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
Leetunechi:
My problem now is that my sister just broke up with her boyfriend that used to give me money when ever he visits
your sister is a stupid damsel. if she is fine, link her up here so i can continue spoiling you with cash

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by FestusIrohigbe: 8:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
shocked
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by CAPSLOCKED: 8:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
raptex:
I actually love their movies and reading their write ups is no problem.Their accents differ from state to state.Example-The way Jay Z speaks(from New York) is different from the way Kendrick Lamar speaks(from California) and also from the way Gucci Mane speaks(from Georgia).But you listen to their songs,right?

BÎTCH, PÙSSY NÎGGA, FINNA, CHOPPER, ASŚ CRACK, CODEINE, MOLLY, XANS, METH.

YES, I LISTEN TO THEIR SONGS.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, totally true. Another one is 'you la to me' instead of you lie to me.
African America mixed tongue like Liberians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by doskie(m): 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2018
czarina:
Nailed.
Africans speak better English than blacks in America.
its true. faar better. 50cent talks like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ShakurM(m): 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2018
traihit:

Yes... but the white man would want us to follow a strict pattern of speaking the language not considering differences in individuals speaking the language. All ends in one part feeling painted as inferior.
White man doesn't dictate how I speak. It's not a race specific language. It's universal
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by doskie(m): 8:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
Jabo1000:

lool. i saw a video where two kids in america listened to a nigerian woman speaking, then they said to their mom " mom, she talks funny"

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by koolaid87: 9:03pm On Sep 13, 2018
czarina:
and funny thing is, Africans over there are some of the most educated.

So you see? Same difference

You sounded like a b1tch.

Those were ghetto English; brother speaking with brother.

Any educated afrikan amerikan speaks standard English, and you can't compare your thick accent to theirs

Words like "aint" is not acceptable in schools. It's just street slang

Fuck1n hole tripping

2 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by ElectroLyte: 9:03pm On Sep 13, 2018
Leetunechi:
My problem now is that my sister just broke up with her boyfriend that used to give me money when ever he visits

Break-up with your sister and get another for the boy friend.

Sense no go kee me joor
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by otipoju(m): 9:49pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:
You can write cosmopolitan not speak it sir. We have Blacks, Whites , Chinese, Indians Irish and so on and so forth who make up cosmopolitan. Nobody make fun of you speaking 'good' English

Really?...lets not go there at all.

Let us pretend that we are all one happy black family.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

BÎTCH, PÙSSY NÎGGA, FINNA, CHOPPER, ASŚ CRACK, CODEINE, MOLLY, XANS, METH.

YES, I LISTEN TO THEIR SONGS.

Have you listened to Lil Pump’s Jam, you’d just laugh the Bleep out.

But I still listen to it though.

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by nazablossom(f): 9:58pm On Sep 13, 2018
lonelydora:
I thought 'Help' should be 'epp'
"epp" is for Yoruba's

2 Likes

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by 1Sharon(f): 10:20pm On Sep 13, 2018
Fame333:

Elemen Hunnid !
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by muyentinadek(m): 10:22pm On Sep 13, 2018
[quote author=lonelydora post=71169228]I thought 'Help' should be 'epp'[/quote
No bro. As bad as their English might appear to be, they don't aspirate their vowel letters. That's basic phonetics.
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by Mustiboy(m): 10:29pm On Sep 13, 2018
ShakurM:
It's a lingo. Quit the hate. I assure you their legal contracts are in top notch English angry . Black vernacular, Ebonics, blaccent. Get exposed.
thanks. I learned something new

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by BraniacX(m): 11:08pm On Sep 13, 2018
czarina:
Nailed.
Africans speak better English than blacks in America.
what's this trash you posted as an opinion? Not only is it wrong and ill-informed, it is also in bad faith!
They speak better English than Africans for the simple reason that they don't have local dialects to compete with English for supremacy in their brain's language center(not that they're proud of it though)
They code switch! They speak different variants of English depending on whom they're speaking with or the setting in which they are speaking

Gosh! undecided

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by RexTramadol1: 12:14am On Sep 14, 2018
Leetunechi:

grin grin grin
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by RexTramadol1: 12:20am On Sep 14, 2018
Fame333:

This lady Wey dey Acrimony sabi dat accent die
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by czarina(f): 12:24am On Sep 14, 2018
RexTramadol1:

This lady Wey dey Acrimony sabi dat accent die
Taraji Penson abi na Cookey Lyon?
I think she's the one you're talking about. You should hear her talking in "I can do bad all by myself"
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by RexTramadol1: 12:31am On Sep 14, 2018
czarina:
Taraji Penson abi na Cookey Lyon?
I think she's the one you're talking about. You should hear her talking in "I can do bad all by myself"

I saw the movie too......your head's there.... That lady too sabi African American shii
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by czarina(f): 12:55am On Sep 14, 2018
RexTramadol1:

I saw the movie too......your head's there.... That lady too sabi African American shii
she'll be like "don la, don la" that is "don't lie, don't lie"
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by naijajobx: 12:59am On Sep 14, 2018
hmm
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by marvinsync(m): 5:30am On Sep 14, 2018
czarina:
The sooner Africans get over "being sold for a piece of mirror", the better for them.
English is global and that was the basis of my comparison.

That said, English has come to stay and Africans learning their languages changes nothing! How far can it spread?

ur implying that black Americans speak English that way by choice or out of rebellion or something?

if so that's nonsense

the blacks slaves were never educated that's why they speak like that and then pass it on

ps in the wild west they also have there own way of speaking English too that differs from the standard

even American English is different from British English

and in Africa we have pidgin English

English is not our language we can bend it how we like to suit us as long as we communicate
Re: Book On Difference Between American And African American English (Photo) by don4real18(m): 6:57am On Sep 14, 2018
Jabo1000:

Its not about speaking right English, its about accent.
Well, I speak fluently with them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday / Bowen University Students Who Fought, Sent Out Of Their Hostel (Photos) / Two Nigerian Students Drown In Malaysia (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.