Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,349 members, 7,819,247 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

My Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (29382 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Experience Working For A One Man Business / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Glink2018(m): 8:17pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

I can't read all your epistle but one thing I will never do is to work in a company and under a boss who Neva appreciate my presence in his office or company
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by pocohantas(f): 8:23pm On Sep 14, 2018
Male bosses and wickedness grin

It is worse when it is a sole proprietorship. I worked with one in the past. Wicked creatures. That man wan kill me with nonsense work sha. Fear them.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 14, 2018
Jamestown123:
This Lagos ehhh if u really want to work for someone then be prepared to be used like a slave, that's y am trying all my best to gather myself and pack out of Nigeria. Thank God bet9ja dey deliver small with time now I go Wizz.
no be you weh dey yab away all the time? undecided
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Jaqenhghar: 8:26pm On Sep 14, 2018
Some of these bosses if they only sacrificed a bit, make sure their employees are comfortable , they will reap the rewards in productivity

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by CaptainMitch: 8:27pm On Sep 14, 2018
You don't mean it
undecided
pocohantas:
Male bosses and wickedness grin

It is worse when it is a sole proprietorship. I worked with one in the past. Wicked creatures. That man wan kill me with nonsense work sha. Fear them.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by teacherbim(f): 8:28pm On Sep 14, 2018
Omg! my husband is going through a lot with one useless private company, they are owing him for the the past 5months now, so bad my darling husband doesn't know what to do. MSc holder. I pray God open his eyes. I thank God I hv another source of income.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by eyinjuege: 8:29pm On Sep 14, 2018
Na wah o.
I was under the impression that it was only female bosses that were the devil themselves, but apparently almost all bosses are wicked.
There must be at least a few good ones na. Any good experiences?

13 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by ogianyo(m): 8:33pm On Sep 14, 2018
Pls don't generalise. Just like you have bad people managers who own businesses, even in the average other work places you can also find abusive bosses.I started up in 2013 and I still have the bulk of my workers.I had to lay off my GM and COS over issues of defalcation. You have bad bosses everywhere not just in one man businesses.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by YorubaAssasin: 8:33pm On Sep 14, 2018
Auladimeji:
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student

Yaba Left V.I.P angry

Mr. Transmission, Transmitter! grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by pocohantas(f): 8:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
CaptainMitch:
You don't mean it
undecided

I mean it o. That man used to send me to buy abacha grin. Let me not add his love for women. Big nyash/breast can confuse his destiny...

10 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 14, 2018
Op i can totally relate.. My former boss was even worse of because the contract he got at the airport was running into hundreds of millions but he would still underpay staffs, fûck female staffs, sack / suspend u indefinitely at the slightest chance. He finally got at me when one stupid female staff he was fûcking told him i was into ticket racketeering which i don't even concern myself with.. In reality the lower staffs under my supervision mostly Egbira(kogi) ganged up with this girl because according to them i too wicked & i dey carry the work for head. I was on my off day when my friend the manager called me to tell me i had been suspended indefinitely.. Wow & i was even down with fever that period. Just like that i spent weeks at home but i never relied totally on my salary so i had other things doing which even gave me more time for myself & money too. So after about 6weeks i was called back. I came back first day & the junior staffs involved were faking sympathy & bs but i wasn't even concerned i played along... After the first week i wasn't even feeling the job anymore & this îdîot boss was just sacking & replacing staffs both high & low.. Funny enough he wasn't really based in Abuja though he had a house & a wife he just married.. Mind u he has another wife & this recent wife used to be the secretary at the office. The work just seemed stûpid as anyone can have his number & call him to fault u for things as flimsy as trying to dicipline the staffs or correct them because those Egbirra people na them plenty pass for airport & them stubborn die. I just stopped coming to work to face my own stuff cos i have seen what this does to people.. Before u know time done go & u never achieve jack working for an ungrateful punk.. He called me on phone & i literally told him to shove it. It disn't take long & all the senior staffs in the admin including the manager were all sacked for no good reasons.. Working under such people is like living in hell with no way out.. I am better now doing my thing & equipping/ upgrading myself for the future... Those guys are dream killers i swear.

20 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by princenaira(m): 8:37pm On Sep 14, 2018
Guy, I quite understood you well. I experienced same and even lend my boss money that he never refunded till today. I can go on and on.

However, it was all for a better tomorrow. Today, am richer than that man and has chains of businesses. Relax and continue in that spirit of dedication to whatever you do. It will end in Praise OK.

12 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Deji63: 8:41pm On Sep 14, 2018
Your boss is an animal.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by RealTrump: 8:44pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

Sometimes it's possible for a person to say a log of things n to say nothing at the same time. Your post is a typical example. U just rubbed it on the head, no detail was given. But then, it's your turf...your thread

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by draj93(m): 8:46pm On Sep 14, 2018
alterswerve:
ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
That's if you haven't gotten a job yet
i need a job too bro.. Bsc in accounting
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by ekestic1976(f): 8:46pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

What's his name; what's he called, or doesn't he have a name
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:46pm On Sep 14, 2018
teacherbim:
Omg! my husband is going through a lot with one useless private company, they are owing him for the the past 5months now, so bad my darling husband doesn't know what to do. MSc holder. I pray God open his eyes. I thank God I hv another source of income.
Till your husband open his eyes and forget that five months salary, he no go leave that job till next year. I've worked for one company like that, you end up postponing your resignation letter. They see that he wants to leave they clear the 2 months and used others to raise his hope. He's going through a lots bae, support him and pray for him.
One man business na demonic company

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by LewsTherin: 8:48pm On Sep 14, 2018
Wow. Crazy. I run my own "one man business". A client asked my supervisor to leave me to go work with her. Promised her higher pay. I wasn't aware. One of the other staff told her "you want to leave here where you have peace of mind to go work for pepper-bodi?"

Have to admit. It felt good.

11 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by johnshagb(m): 8:49pm On Sep 14, 2018
dairykidd:
Op i can totally relate.. My former boss was even worse of because the contract he got at the airport was running into hundreds of millions but he would still underpay staffs, fûck female staffs, sack / suspend u indefinitely at the slightest chance. He finally got at me when one stupid female staff he was fûcking told him i was into ticket racketeering which i don't even concern myself with.. In reality the lower staffs under my supervision mostly Egbira(kogi) ganged up with this girl because according to them i too wicked & i dey carry the work for head. I was on my off day when my friend the manager called me to tell me i had been suspended indefinitely.. Wow & i was even down with fever that period. Just like that i spent weeks at home but i never relied totally on my salary so i had other things doing which even gave me more time for myself & money too. So after about 6weeks i was called back. I came back first day & the junior staffs involved were faking sympathy & bs but i wasn't even concerned i played along... After the first week i wasn't even feeling the job anymore & this îdîot boss was just sacking & replacing staffs both high & low.. Funny enough he wasn't really based in Abuja though he had a house & a wife he just married.. Mind u he has another wife & this recent wife used to be the secretary at the office. The work just seemed stûpid as anyone can have his number & call him to fault u for things as flimsy as trying to dicipline the staffs or correct them because those Egbirra people na them plenty pass for airport & them stubborn die. I just stopped coming to work to face my own stuff cos i have seen what this does to people.. Before u know time done go & u never achieve jack working for an ungrateful punk.. He called me on phone & i literally told him to shove it. It disn't take long & all the senior staffs in the admin including the manager were all sacked for no good reasons.. Working under such people is like living in hell with no way out.. I am better now doing my thing & equipping/ upgrading myself for the future... Those guys are dream killers i swear.

Sorry for quoting the long post, but I can't help but laugh at the assertions about the ebira people. So hilarious grin

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 14, 2018
johnshagb:

Sorry for quoting the long post, but I can't help but laugh at the assertions about the ebira people. So hilarious grin
My brother those people.. Get as God create them oo especially the females i don't pray to have anything with them ever. I hate involving tribe or ethnicity in anything but these people my guy.. Their way na one way

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by obalala: 8:55pm On Sep 14, 2018
Hello bro, every little thing you wrote I see myself in it. Just resigned my work at Ikoyi last week Thursday and I have never felt any better . My ex boss still owes me two month salary but I needed to leave, I wake up every morning depressed, hustling to get to Victoria island in the morning and spending hours inside traffic and at the end of the month he might not pay salary . Don't have a job now, but like you said I feel much better , eat and sleep better . Your write up made be feel better , at least I know I ain't the only one out there .

26 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 14, 2018
Please what is the meaning of "one man business"?

Never heard of such in my life. Is it a Nigerian slang to refer to sole proprietorship? (i.e a company that belongs totally to a single person)

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by uuzba(m): 9:01pm On Sep 14, 2018
LordsApostle:
pathetic men, I can relate with this. This is Nigeria where there are no laws, else people like that have no place running business, I don't understand why people are just so heartless and wicked, it is really heart wrenching you know, it's saddening... You don't see this any other place. Blacks are just evil.

As a business owner how do you handle this task.
You have managed to finally get a contract.
Now your phone is ringing left right and center. WhatsApp and emails left and right. You are a typical Nigerian. You have 2 or more phones.
When driving your car, the phones never stop. All the calls are important. All relate to different aspects of the project.
You realise that you van easily have an accident driving and answering WhatsApp.
-
Do you take public transport? No. You don't want to discuss confidential info in public.
Do you use Uber? No your designation might change on the fly. Uber has to go one way. You need to hire a car for a whole day. But you already have a car.
You close eye and hire a driver.
But this guy is asking for xyz salary. Do you pay? How good is he?
He may bash your car and run. He is going to overhear all your discussions when he's driving you about.

Your car has problems, tire, radiator, Keke hit one side. Vehicle license.... Do you leave the key with this guy driver to fix?
Messages are piling up on your WhatsApp, emails. You have not responded. Food? You have not been eating properly.
Starting a business in Nigeria is not easy.
It is easy to condemn the boss when you are not one. You have no idea what is passing through his mind.

Most of us know how to SPEND money very well. But zero knowledge about how to EARN money.
A bosses duty is to EARN the money. He must spend as little as possible otherwise, it isn't a business. But a major LOSS.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Comeandcollect: 9:01pm On Sep 14, 2018
I am looking for 3 people that has good business ideas, i will give each person N500K to put in the business. Altogether N1.5m for 3 persons.
Send me a message with your business idea and i will notify you when i will send the money and profit entitlements.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 14, 2018
RealTrump:

Sometimes it's possible for a person to say a log of things n to say nothing at the same time. Your post is a typical example. U just rubbed it on the head, no detail was given. But then, it's your turf...your thread

If you've gone through the same ordeal, you would even understand my silence. I don't have to start listing those things for you to know exactly what I meant.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by stubbornman(m): 9:03pm On Sep 14, 2018
Some of you shouting " One man business is demonic" will also do worse when you set up your own.....!!!!

Nigeria is a stupid country tho.... where every boss thinks he's doing his/her staff a favour

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 14, 2018
obalala:
Hello bro, every little thing you wrote I see myself in it. Just resigned my work at Ikoyi last week Thursday and I have never felt any better . My ex boss still owes me two month salary but I needed to leave, I wake up every morning depressed, hustling to get to Victoria island in the morning and spending hours inside traffic and at the end of the month he might not pay salary . Don't have a job now, but like you said I feel much better , eat and sleep better . Your write up made be feel better , at least I know I ain't the only one out there .

It's well bro. Things will definitely work out perfectly well. Just a matter of time. I nearly died of depression

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Easy Ways To Position Yourself For The Right Opportunities / How Much And How Do You Save From Work Every Month / The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.