Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

My Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (29384 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Experience Working For A One Man Business / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by teacherbim(f): 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2018
QuickStandard:

You and your kids are cute.

If you can, tell your hubby to quit and start a business. Better late than never.

Most of us, entrepreneurs have gone through hell at some point, but had to make a decision.

Starting can be discouraging, but encourage him never to give up.

I started quick standard 2015, having a pregnant wife, but then, I had to take the decision that enough was enough from one stupid firm.

It was a terrible period, cos, unlike you, my wife was not working in anyway.

But today God is blessing us, and we are progressing.

God will bless your home.
Thanks I'm inspired, may God continue to bless your home.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by abbiboy: 11:16pm On Sep 14, 2018
seasy:

Exactly how my Boss behaves.
Exactly the same tin my EX boss did resigned straight up..I no come live no Man's dreamz.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 11:24pm On Sep 14, 2018
dairykidd:
Hmm really?
Yea. Hw lnf hv you bn wif dem? Jst be careful.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by ItzNas(m): 11:36pm On Sep 14, 2018
Auladimeji:
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 14, 2018
icogb:
Yea. Hw lnf hv you bn wif dem? Jst be careful.
Yeah man

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by ikechemez(m): 12:04am On Sep 15, 2018
Auladimeji:
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student
What is it with commercial student s
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by encryptjay(m): 12:20am On Sep 15, 2018
dairykidd:

Hmm really?
I hope you guys are aware that it's not only Ebira people that are in Kogi state? We've got Igalas and Yoruba(s). I've got one pal, he's Ebira and cool headed. My problem with some of them is they frown too much and I don't like such acrimonious attitude. I recall an Ebira girl saying she doesn't roll with Igala guys, I still assisted her even though she wasn't grateful at the end. I don't know about the old generation but the new generation of Igala folks are quite cool headed especially those of us that grew up outside Kogi state.
About Plateau, they can be stubborn and mischievous but dem no get issues. Like the Birom guys.
Plateau has other tribes too.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 15, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Yea, sole proprietorship.
Thank you. I wasnt familiar with the Nigerian lingo.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 15, 2018
encryptjay:

I hope you guys are aware that it's not only Ebira people that are in Kogi state? We've got Igalas and Yoruba(s). I've got one pal, he's Ebira and cool headed. My problem with some of them is they frown too much and I don't like such acrimonious attitude. I recall an Ebira girl saying she doesn't roll with Igala guys, I still assisted her even though she wasn't grateful at the end. I don't know about the old generation but the new generation of Igala folks are quite cool headed especially those of us that grew up outside Kogi state.
About Plateau, they can be stubborn and mischievous but dem no get issues. Like the Birom guys.
Plateau has other tribes too.
Igala is better na... Ebira especially the girls & them can fine ehhn. I remember i was hooking up with one at a time, so me & my cuz took them out this girls fought with the lady serving us because of fish bbq.. Another one frustrated my home boy, she would be fûcking other guys but if she catch my guy with babe hmmmm the whole hood go catch fire.. Yet another one dating a friend has no manners even when my guy dey carry her come my house come straff she still no get simple regard or respect for me i had to stop her from coming to my place.. Even the girls i work with who were under me were nothing to write home about, rude uncultured, wicked sluts.. My guy Ebira na Ebira nothing u can tell me about the girls.. The Ebira guys na mouth them dey, when they are in numbers they act tough but catch anyone for corner no level.. And they do not forgive & forget both male & female (not generalizing again)

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Baltazarcus(m): 12:37am On Sep 15, 2018
LoJ:
Please what is the meaning of "one man business"?

Never heard of such in my life. Is it a Nigerian slang to refer to sole proprietorship? (i.e a company that belongs totally to a single person)

Yes , one man biz is the same as sole proprietorship

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Laduet(f): 12:48am On Sep 15, 2018

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by emmyid(m): 12:56am On Sep 15, 2018
dairykidd:
Op i can totally relate.. My former boss was even worse of because the contract he got at the airport was running into hundreds of millions but he would still underpay staffs, fûck female staffs, sack / suspend u indefinitely at the slightest chance. He finally got at me when one stupid female staff he was fûcking told him i was into ticket racketeering which i don't even concern myself with.. In reality the lower staffs under my supervision mostly Egbira(kogi) ganged up with this girl because according to them i too wicked & i dey carry the work for head. I was on my off day when my friend the manager called me to tell me i had been suspended indefinitely.. Wow & i was even down with fever that period. Just like that i spent weeks at home but i never relied totally on my salary so i had other things doing which even gave me more time for myself & money too. So after about 6weeks i was called back. I came back first day & the junior staffs involved were faking sympathy & bs but i wasn't even concerned i played along... After the first week i wasn't even feeling the job anymore & this îdîot boss was just sacking & replacing staffs both high & low.. Funny enough he wasn't really based in Abuja though he had a house & a wife he just married.. Mind u he has another wife & this recent wife used to be the secretary at the office. The work just seemed stûpid as anyone can have his number & call him to fault u for things as flimsy as trying to dicipline the staffs or correct them because those Egbirra people na them plenty pass for airport & them stubborn die. I just stopped coming to work to face my own stuff cos i have seen what this does to people.. Before u know time done go & u never achieve jack working for an ungrateful punk.. He called me on phone & i literally told him to shove it. It disn't take long & all the senior staffs in the admin including the manager were all sacked for no good reasons.. Working under such people is like living in hell with no way out.. I am better now doing my thing & equipping/ upgrading myself for the future... Those guys are dream killers i swear.

Fear Egbira people. Especially their ladies and girls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by emmyid(m): 12:59am On Sep 15, 2018
johnshagb:

Sorry for quoting the long post, but I can't help but laugh at the assertions about the ebira people. So hilarious grin

He is damn right. Ebery Ebira lady wey I don meet for my 1year+ for North de act like witch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by emmyid(m): 1:05am On Sep 15, 2018
ceeroh:

Sure! I'll forward the videos to you.

Please can you also share with me? idiege.emmanuel@gmail.com.... Thanks in anticipation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by charles009(m): 1:36am On Sep 15, 2018
I manage a unit where my decision can impact aspects of employee welfare from wages to discipline etc.

Firstly, I have no emotion on the job, very little patience, is either you give in your best or you quit. I push people,I drive relentlessly. I lead from the front not behind. Why did I say this, all my subordinates seem to put in I000% at work. I give it to you RAW, very very RAW if the situation demands that. In all I am no nonsense but I have a golden rule,

Once salary date is due, I can tamper with company sales to ensure everyone receives his pay in full, I can go to any length to achieve this. My best motivation model is what I call the 3Rs (respect, reward,recognition)

My message, if you find yourself being abused at work, please confront the situation head on. Even if he is whatever, we all listen, do not be afraid to speak out, but do so politely. (But first, ensure you are not the problem, always give in your best)

8 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 3:07am On Sep 15, 2018
ceeroh:

Too late grin
No one needs to be pitied. Take charge of your life. I'm just trying to reveal what most people go through everyday. And by the way, I'm not a commercial student but wasn't that too harsh on them with your statement?

Who is a commercial student?
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by rock003: 3:18am On Sep 15, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

Please bro, which digital skills are you learning?
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by meobizy(f): 3:19am On Sep 15, 2018
The problem with Nigerians is always Nigerians.
The boss might have acted good back in the day but I'm sure workers burned him so bad he became the final product you worked for.
Here in this country people don't know how it feels being treated nicely and will actively ride you if you show a little compassion. I have seen situations where employers help workers become their best selves only for them to pay bosses back by resigning when needed most or insulting the man behind his back.
I don't blame him, I don't blame you also. People are different. You can pray to meet a kinder boss in future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by rock003: 3:25am On Sep 15, 2018
angelboy01:
Bro I am so happy you resigned from that job, The funny thing is that if you are working for someone you are only building their own dreams. They will make sure that person doesn't amount to anything. I have faced worse even got slapped while working for a guy at a Cafe on wrong accusations, he didn't apologize even after knowing the truth. That made me really angry and I had to Resign. When I told my guys they were really angry with me for not punching him unto say I be bad guy but no be everthing be fight. The guy later called and said why wasn't I at office and I told him I resigned, he was like whay the F**K. You didn't even drop a resignation letter. That was when my head sparked, I rained abuses on him and called him names. Do you believe that the Nigga started to apologize. After a month the cafe was closed down because no one wanted to work with him due to his attitude. I also worked with him for a month or so because me I no DE take shit. I am happy that am blessed now. All of this happened when I was still schooling at ilorin and I did all that just bro make extra cash. In conclusion I am happy that you are learning something to better yourself. If you are going to work for someone, make some money and build your own dreams. Bless you bro and have a lovely day

grin. Sorry about your experience. Please what's the name of the said Cafe? Maybe is one I know
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by jaxxy(m): 3:49am On Sep 15, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

U can never build any damn career in most one man own companies in Nigeria. Why? Cos they are not structured or regulated like multinationals or blue chip firms for obvious reasons and challenges like capital base, just few try to keep smtn close to that standards because they personally believe in best/good practices the rest use and abuse u with no benefits. If u work in these 2 different sets of companies u will see a very clear difference.

Just work at such places if u feel u can gather experience and knowledge there forget about money if ure not paid well then take that experience get a better job at a higher firm.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by freshboy88(m): 4:32am On Sep 15, 2018
alterswerve:
ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
That's if you haven't gotten a job yet

I'm a job seeker as well and I stay close to aguda, surulere. plz can I pm u?
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by LordsApostle: 4:58am On Sep 15, 2018
egbabiekperemo1:

Useless boy, always misyarning anywhere you go. Ashewo thread never do for you to dey talk rubbish, na to expand ya leprosy mouth enter other thread where sensible people dey.
Remember the beating wey i promise you anytime when i catch you for portharcourt. Buffon.
His stupid smelling thing, I have told you Never to quote me again, you this small idiot, that spelling is trouble for you, Never in your miserable life quote me.. Idiotic smelling church rat.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by brunxy(m): 5:23am On Sep 15, 2018
I understand ur plight bro...I also experienced same and i resigned June this year...its not funny most especially when u put in ur all everyday at work and the nincompoop start finding fault to discredit u or deduct from ur salary when month end approaches..Some even go as far as paying half salary when they claim not to have running project in the office and never pay any bonus when u work on projects to earn them millions and billions. Our greed and wickedness in this country is second to known
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by karniff: 6:03am On Sep 15, 2018
Don't be push around by one myopic employer that ain't see your value... Just save your energy where it would be appreciated by bouncing off the ship asap and refused all forms of abuse.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 15, 2018
Laduet:
My boss is worse. Am not being paid. I work from 7am- 6pm, including weekends sometimes. Still there because I want to gain some experience. The man is insecure, verbally and emotionally abusive and seeks to control every area of your life. The office environment is so toxic, he discourages any form of close working relationship amongst staff. According to him, such cordial relationship breeds "gossip". Sometimes I work for up to 4months without being paid a penny. Have put too much effort and sacrificed a lot for this job but he is never satisfied. I can't just resign without getting a better job. I wake up every work day depressed. God save me.

It is well bro. I understand perfectly
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 15, 2018
rock003:

Please bro, which digital skills are you learning?
Web Design/Dev, Graphics Design and Digital Marketing.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by IbrahimDamola: 7:00am On Sep 15, 2018
I pay my employees before paying myself. My employees are my asset.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by emperorblog(m): 7:04am On Sep 15, 2018
LordsApostle:
pathetic men, I can relate with this. This is Nigeria where there are no laws, else people like that have no place running business, I don't understand why people are just so heartless and wicked, it is really heart wrenching you know, it's saddening... You don't see this any other place. Blacks are just evil.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by egbabiekperemo1: 7:12am On Sep 15, 2018
LordsApostle:
His stupid smelling thing, I have told you Never to quote me again, you this small idiot, that spelling is trouble for you, Never in your miserable life quote me.. Idiotic smelling church rat.

Na until i catch u, u go know btween me and u who be mate. Useless pedophile
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 15, 2018
emmyid:

Fear Egbira people. Especially their ladies and girls.

True story oo
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by angelboy01(m): 7:47am On Sep 15, 2018
rock003:

grin. Sorry about your experience. Please what's the name of the said Cafe? Maybe is one I know
The cafe was around Tanke at Tipper Garage, Along Area F Division.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by eyeview: 7:53am On Sep 15, 2018
Was the coy at CBD ikeja?
ceeroh:

Facility management,
Industrial Cleaning and Outsourcing services

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Easy Ways To Position Yourself For The Right Opportunities / How Much And How Do You Save From Work Every Month / The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.