Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,100 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 (5767 Views)

Photo: Fayose Takes Full Page Advert To Slam Buhari’s 6-month Rule / Buhari, Fashola, Amaechi & Ambode At Organised Private Sector Meeting In Lagos / Private Sector Takes Over Power Sector, As PHCN Ceases To Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by harpo(m): 9:19am On Jul 07, 2010
We should all pray for this country that as they have spoken GOD should engulf their heart constantly never give them rest until they do as they have promised,

That is my prayer for Naija
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by fuke(m): 9:43am On Jul 07, 2010
Privatisation is the answer. I only hope the presidents walk his talk.
2011 is by the corner you know
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by chidichris(m): 9:44am On Jul 07, 2010
@xterra2

There is corruption in every country of the world. .
Have u actually looked at the so-called opposition politicians and states they run and how much worse they are compared to PDP?

The way to change Nigeria is to remove such corrupt things as power,NNPC and so on from GOVT control

Have u bothered to ask yourself why this has not been done for 50yrs?

Its because those ministries are so-called powerful ministries. . what does that actually mean?
It means every yr billions of Naira are budgeted in those ministries
but they can dissappear,because there is no incentive to make power plants or refineries work. . .

When last did u see any huge amount of money allocated to ministry of information and communication?
well that is because the private telecomms companies have made it redundant to do so. . .

Have u forgotten MKO and the military in ITT(International thief thief)
well thank God those things are past us now. . .

That is why anyone that willingly gives up such patronage is to be commended
It reduces corruption and inefficiency and basically lifts another critical sector of the Nigerian economy from underneath the Suffocating weight of GOVT

PS u should want Goodluck Jonathan to win the election next yr. . because there is nothing worse for a developing/emerging economy
than a stop-start application of critical reforms
New GOVTS take time to settle down. . .thats why even in countries like brazil,Japan,Russia,Indonesia.India and so on there is always angst during elections
and markets normally rally if the incumbent reformer is re-elected

@paddy lo,
if everything is privatized in nigeria, what will be the need for govt? don't u think it is worth doing - privatizing aso rock? how are the common men benefitting from all the mineral resources God had used to bless this useless nigeria? our roads are privatized, our waters are privatized, the airspace are privatized and soon, the air we breath will be privatised.
do u know that another name for privatization is commercialization and do u know what that means? all these things will be left in the hands of those whose main purpose is to maximize gain.
it is a thing of shame that apart from our mineral resources that are surplus, we pay tax and at the end of the day, we pay to use the roads, pay to talk and pay to slee;p.
wether u like it or not, it is these same people you think cannot handle these things that will buy them up at the end of the day to now cut off our necks.
we are doomed.
the best thing jonathan can do at this moment having confirmed the incompetence of all these politicians, seekm for eign assistance in the area of governance(take us back to the days of slavery and colonisation) or better still divide this nonsense entity intlo at least 20 different countries so that ppl will start feeling the presence of govt at all levels.
if our population size is the problem, divission is the only natural solution.
if you know economics or political science, certain services are expected from the govt and these are called BASIC ARMENTIES. today, logosians (lekki axis) are up for payments for using govt roads which are surposed to be output of tax payer's funds.
it is really embarrassing that most of us jump up in rejoice in every rubbish that comes out of the mouth of the so-called govt.
have u ever been anywhere outside nigeria? even benin republic u will know that nothing is happening here for real.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by govnor: 10:13am On Jul 07, 2010
Another story , soon some certain people will turn millionaires and billionaires over night while millions will still live in total darkness. I'm tired of all these talks and news, about GOVT PLAN TO DO THIS AND THAT IN YEAR SO, SO, PLS let them get down to business and do some thing and enough of all these media hypes.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Jeboy(m): 10:23am On Jul 07, 2010
@chidichris
Most dev nations privatise critical sector of their economy where skills,large investment,challenges and competence is required.All they need 2 do abt d fear u stated in ur post is 2 have regulated govt agencies dat check d activities which we have in CBN,NCC,NPA,DPR(NNPC),FERMA,NAFDAC etc.Once dis achieved govt. Can stop pumping large sum of budgets into d dem 2 encourage corruption and waste rather govt ll channel d money 2 other direct social services dat ll benefit her citizens. Moreso privatisation do not neccesarily include certain sector like d police,armed forces,arms of govt. Agencies etc because of d need 2 prevent national disintegration.So pls be well informed abt what privatisation is so u dont kick against it unfairly and sell same ideology 2 d likeminded or d uninformed.Privatisation 101
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by ud4u: 10:47am On Jul 07, 2010
So privatization is the only solution to Nigeria problem?
Government properties cannot be managed well but when the same people acquires it through privatization they will then manage it well because they know they are in for business.

Privatization is equal to inflation.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by justdtruth: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2010
as much as news like this will likely make you believe that perhaps things might change in nigeria, that it is a politician vying for the position of the next president that is saying this and the sheduled date is june when it might be somebody else in office say a lot of things.

i will want us to however critically look at what i think is the ultimate challenge to the development of nigeria. THE HOUSE OF THIEVES

there are several things that are to be done to give this country a headway but those guys are just too foolish to see anything. imagine a request by the president to cut down the budget by 1.2 trillion based on the realisation that the NNPC data used as estimates were faulty was turned down and they only cut the budget by 400 billion. next year, it will be noise that the budget was not implemented. there has been no developmental law passed by these rogs only laws to make them remain in their sits or add more money to thier pocket have been passed.

if jonathan realy means business, let him start with the required laws that will bring about realistic involvement of the private sector in our economy. but if we want to go the way of regular politicians. it will all end as campaign promises
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 07, 2010
I've gone through the four pages on this thread and the opponents of this proposed exercise have not been able to marshal  single convincing arguement to butress their point, rather what they have been mouting so far are the old and abadoned arguements bodering on safety net for the people.

We will never get things done until we have tried new ways of doing things.

Privitazation of these utility companies remains the only way that can guarantee efficiency in their operations.

Paddy Lo. Am really feeling you on this. wink
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by ndigbo: 11:16am On Jul 07, 2010
My take towards this issue is that i'm sick and tired of our so called leaders promising this today and that tomorrow. Just hope that this plan sees day light! I don't want to say my beloved country is cursed! but power and leadership has fallen into wrong hands all they do is to deceive the people they are supposed to be leading. What a shame! So my dear Nlders let's not celebrate yet! Thank you.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by hercules07: 11:44am On Jul 07, 2010
@paddy_lo

I get the figure from what I pay for electricity, as you can see in my post, I have already reduced my consumption, that is why I calculated for 8 Hours instead of 24 hours reducing my consumption by 66.6 percent, I am also using an inverter so I have got energy efficient bulbs as well. You say there is no efficient government anywhere, how come some countries provide their citizens good infrastructure, I have applied for and got Canadian Residency and the processing was efficient. You have said Government does not have enough money abi, but they know how to spend 10 billion naira on a 1 week activitiy, they know how to borrow billions of dollars from IMF for unnecessary expenses, countries that are poorer than Nigeria but Generate more than us got the money from the moon abi? Nigeria might not be as rich as we think it is, but, if the "little" resources we have are allocated properly and used even more efficiently, we will be able to take care of the basic needs of our people (the job of any serious government).
All these 40,000MW na story, give us 6,000MW and Nigerians will heave a sigh of relief, you dont have 6,000MW you are talking of 40,000MW by 2020 (useless vision 2020). It is capitalists like you that think of themselves without thinking of the majority that will not be able to afford this new power regime, you say it costs a certain amount to generate 1MW, is the amount the same for thermal and hydro, is it the same for Nuclear as well? You have people earning 7,500 and you are expecting them to pay over 10K a month to enjoy power, where do they get money to feed. Power will allow Industries to mushroom yes, will the Industries not be selling to people who reside in the country? People who can not afford their products because they have used all they have to pay for power?
We need the private sector in the power industry no doubt, we need them in distribution, transmission and generation, but, before they come in, we need to get a good government who will look out for the interests of the people not for the interest of their cronies as we see going on. Jonathan and his government are heavily compromised, the oil spill in the Niger Delta is worse than that of the Gulf of Mexico, yet, the Government is not doing anything about it (it is the courts granting relief to the people there), he is colluding with the Oil companies, his Minister worked with Shell (and probably still takes instructions from there). He is using people who have personal interests to act as umpire in the Energy and Power sectors (Rilwanu Lukman too should not have been our Petroleum Minister).
I did not even see the part where he said it will be done in June 2011 meaning he expects us to vote him in, he is sadly deluded, he is indecisive, corrupt and was a product of zoning so, should go with the zoning. I will rather vote IBB ( I detest him with all of my soul) than Jonathan who clearly has no idea.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Jul 07, 2010
hercules07:

It is capitalists like you that think of themselves without thinking of the majority that will not be able to afford this new power regime, you say it costs a certain amount to generate 1MW, is the amount the same for thermal and hydro, is it the same for Nuclear as well? You have people earning 7,500 and you are expecting them to pay over 10K a month to enjoy power, where do they get money to feed. Power will allow Industries to mushroom yes, will the Industries not be selling to people who reside in the country? People who can not afford their products because they have used all they have to pay for power?
You are right about most all except the part condemning all Capitalists. I personally believe Capitalism is not EVIL, but I also respect the place of Government in ensuring capitalists don't run wild and people unable to afford services are aided by Government. I mean that is part of what Government is there for in the first place. Take for instance price control, Governments in most advanced controls have policies in place to cap prices so as to ensure people can afford, not just the basics but even more.
hercules07:

I did not even see the part where he said it will be done in June 2011 meaning he expects us to vote him in, he is sadly deluded, he is indecisive, corrupt and was a product of zoning so, should go with the zoning. I will rather vote IBB ( I detest him with all of my soul) than Jonathan who clearly has no idea.
That he set the date for June 2011, may not necessarily mean he expects us to vote him in. If the election holds in May, it he does his work right, then he does not have to be there in June for this to happen by then. I really hope we do not fall into the guilt of needing to vote him in to see these changes happen in a year.
Considering all he is doing is putting in place policies to aid Private companies to take over control(he does not have to actually build power plants and the lot that past governments have tried), and his party remains a majority in the house and senate, I believe we need to hold him to the June 2011 deadline this time around.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by hercules07: 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Kobo

I am not actually condemning all capitalists, just paddy_lo, I see sense in some of what he says, but, we need to make sure that those guys do not rip us off. The thing about this power supply issue is that there are over 40 million households and companies waiting for efficient power supply, why do we have to incur liabilities, if Jonathan puts his house in order and government is ready and willing to regulate, then investors will come. Prevarication is not good, all this June 2011 is just empty promises, he should tell us that in 30 days, the blueprint will be out, in 60 days we would have done xyz, give us milestones so that we measure how effective you and your policies are, instead we get house for all by the year 2020, food for all by year 2030, heaven for all by year eternity, awon oloshi.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
hercules07:

he should tell us that in 30 days, the blueprint will be out, in 60 days we would have done xyz, give us milestones so that we measure how effective you and your policies are, instead we get house for all by the year 2020, food for all by year 2030, heaven for all by year eternity, awon oloshi.

Actually, I believe he did tell us that the blueprint would be out in a month. . . that was back about 2 months ago though. I am guessing that did not work out or maybe we have not gotten the report on that.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 5:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
@paddy_lo

I get the figure from what I pay for electricity, as you can see in my post, I have already reduced my consumption, that is why I calculated for 8 Hours instead of 24 hours reducing my consumption by 66.6 percent, I am also using an inverter so I have got energy efficient bulbs as well. You say there is no efficient government anywhere, how come some countries provide their citizens good infrastructure

[b]The Good Infrastructure u see in canada/USA is provided by Municipalities Floating Infrastructure bonds on the Capital markets and using this money to provide roads/bridges and so on.  .
This municipals(State,city,county),have a tax base which they tax,and they have a credit rating based on their history of default
The bonds floated is usually btw 7 -10yrs.  .Interest rates is charged based on the risk profile of the Municipal

Taxes collected is used to service the bonds. . .
Simple. . but u dont come here crying infrastructure,if u dont know the basics of how it works
Some states also use the PPP model.  .They sell the bridges and so on to the private sector for Maintenance,Illinois and New Jersey are some that come to mind

Now Nigerias Capital Markets are not as developed as the above,only Lagos and a few other states seems to be tapping into the Bond market
Our Income tax system is at best in its infancy(except in Lagos)

No one uses Oil/commodity production for meaningful development
For one the revenue we get from it is too small. . .
Secondly u cannot plan a 3yr road/Bridge building infrastructure project on cash flow that may not be available tommorrow
like when oil went from $145 to $35 in 1 yr
Finally,Nigeria is no libya with 6million ppl. . we have a huge country,and 50% of our oil wealth is now being used for recurrent expenditure(Salaries)
Some of it should also be going to a Sovereign wealth Fund which will be used as savings for the future generation[/b]

I have applied for and got Canadian Residency and the processing was efficient. You have said Government does not have enough money abi, but they know how to spend 10 billion naira on a 1 week activitiy, they know how to borrow billions of dollars from IMF for unnecessary expenses, countries that are poorer than Nigeria but Generate more than us got the money from the moon abi? Nigeria might not be as rich as we think it is, but, if the "little" resources we have are allocated properly and used even more efficiently, we will be able to take care of the basic needs of our people (the job of any serious government).

[b]Processing canadian residency is not the same thing as the Canadian GOVT running a power plant.  .Here in the USA. .all the GOVT run agencies are broke or on the verge of bankruptcy
The postal service is broke,AMTRAK the rail company is broke,The FHA is a mess,Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac the Mortgage Giants are Bankrupt
Thats what GOVT control of business does. . there is usually waste/inefficiency

In Africa there is no country poorer than us that Generates more electricity than we do. . .ok
After South Africa we generate the most Electricity in Sub -saharan Africa. . The next after us is either ethiopia or sudan which generate about 2000MW

The IMF loans u talk about were taken by the military GOVT,i am too young to remember what exactly they took them for
but since we cleared our debts we have basically been Taking mostly domestic debt,Courtesy FGN bonds through the DMO

I actually agree with u that Nigerias little resources should be spent more efficiently on poverty reduction
The GOVT should leave things like power for the private sector that can make a difference

GOVT money should be spent on thing like low income housing,school lunches for kids,education,Health and so on
Go take a look at South Africas Budget see what percentage is spent on poverty reduction
Thats what GOVT should be doing
I am baffled that the likes of u on here Keep insisting on GOVT white elephant projects in nigeria

I guess commissioning a power plant that packs up in 2weeks is more sexy than building low income homes or schools
but it is a misplacement of scarce GOVT funds[/b]

All these 40,000MW na story, give us 6,000MW and Nigerians will heave a sigh of relief, you dont have 6,000MW you are talking of 40,000MW by 2020 (useless vision 2020). It is capitalists like you that think of themselves without thinking of the majority that will not be able to afford this new power regime, you say it costs a certain amount to generate 1MW, is the amount the same for thermal and hydro, is it the same for Nuclear as well? You have people earning 7,500 and you are expecting them to pay over 10K a month to enjoy power, where do they get money to feed. Power will allow Industries to mushroom yes, will the Industries not be selling to people who reside in the country? People who can not afford their products because they have used all they have to pay for power?
We need the private sector in the power industry no doubt, we need them in distribution, transmission and generation, but, before they come in, we need to get a good government who will look out for the interests of the people not for the interest of their cronies as we see going on. Jonathan and his government are heavily compromised, the oil spill in the Niger Delta is worse than that of the Gulf of Mexico, yet, the Government is not doing anything about it

[b]Whether u like it or not Nigeria has 150million ppl. . and all its people need power,so 40,000MW might even be a low estimate of our needs
Now u talk of 6,000MW. . . What u dont understand is that if u provide 6000MW,more people will switch of their generators to get back on PHCN

This will then lead to over crowding/congestion and back to rationing. . . .
Again this is the beauty of the Private sector,as more ppl come on board they will invariably borrow more money and do expansion and construct more power plants
to accommodate the new customers. . .But if its NEPA they will see 6000MW as an achievement(like u have just seen it),and then before u know it nobody will be satisfied as the new demands will overwhelm their paltry supply

My $1M for 1MW is actually for the cheaper sources of supply like Gas turbines and Hydro
Things like Nuclear cost way too much. . .
For example UAE(Dubai) Just signed a deal with Korea(in dec 2009) to build a 5600MW Nuclear plant for $20 billion
see link. . . .[/b]
http://www.hindustantimes.com/UAE-signs-20-billion-nuclear-deal-with-S-Korea/Article1-491275.aspx

[b]thats closer to $5Million for 1MW. . . u can see that Nigeria doesnt have that Kind of money

One thing u dont understand is that U cannot decide human behavior,people like u think u are doing the poor a favor
but only end up hurting them and keep them poor
If there is constant power,most poor ppl will set up businesses and this will help them improve their purchasing power
They will then decide on how much power to consume,based on how much money they have

But at least they will be empowered to help themselves
This idea of everyone remaining in darkness just because a few people cannot afford it is madness

Also u talk of companys selling to poor ppl in Nigeria
No export based companys can set up in Nigeria to export their goods to Europe America and South America

Nigerias location is actually very good,Factories in china,India,Indonesia can relocate to Nigeria
These so called poor ppl u want to protect will be the beneficiary of such factory work
Their Purchasing power will improve, Nigeria will earn more Forex and diversify her economy
but this cannot happen without unlocking the Power sector

Please India,Indonesia,China have very poor people,these guys dont have 2 heads
They have successfully used Private enterprise to make life better for most citizens
Stop trying to argue illogically here

As for the oil spills in the delta,it will interest u to know that all oil majors in Nigeria operate Joint ventures with the Nigerian Govt through NNPC
So NNPC and Nigeria have a bigger liability to settle than the oil majors
since NNPC owns a majority stake in all oil ventures

again,Privatize the damn thing(all oil ventures),list it on the Nigerian Stock exchange,and these companys will behave more responsibly
If not they can be fined. . . .Right now if u fine NNPC for oil spill,they will probably not pay it
since NNPC is actually insolvent,with no audit for over 10yrs[/b]

(it is the courts granting relief to the people there), he is colluding with the Oil companies, his Minister worked with Shell (and probably still takes instructions from there). He is using people who have personal interests to act as umpire in the Energy and Power sectors (Rilwanu Lukman too should not have been our Petroleum Minister).

U sound like a broken record. . .oil spills have been a part of Nigeria since oil was discovered
now u blame the guy who has been there for just 6months or so

Now the IBB u want to vote,what did he do about oil spills in the delta?
What about the $12billion oil windfall he stole,how come he didnt use some of it to develop the Niger delta,u now seem to love so much

The PIB bill and Energy sector reforms are key things that have to be done for Nigeria to move forward
U are talking of colluding with oil companys,when serious investment has not been done or withheld for the past 5yrs

Meanwhile Angola that has good relations with the oil companys continue to expand production and attract funding
Just today BP chairman,has visited Abu dhabi,Azerbaijan and after that he will go to Angola
He is looking for the countries to take equity stakes in BP. . read on Wall street Journal link . . .
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703636404575352350785810276.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection
How come he is not visiting Nigeria?. . . well maybe if we had our acts together,or had a sovereign wealth fund he would have come
So u cannot be fighting oil companys in Nigeria,while other countrys are courting them
They will move their investments over there
and we will loose our influence and more importantly necessary FDI

Australia just proposed a 40% tax for Mining companies but had to back down,when they threathened to stop expansion in the country
The point i am making is that having Allison Madueke as Petroleum Minister is good
we need to get back to big dollar investments in offshore Nigeria
we need to double oil production to 4million barrels a day

we have wasted too much time,and that PIB bill has to be passed,for this to happen
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by hercules07: 6:08pm On Jul 07, 2010
@paddy_lo

Bros, the post was too long so I can not respond to everything, but let me respond small. Your first response had no relation to what I was talking about, what I know is that the government should try to get the best deal for its citizens and giving total control to private companies is not a good deal.

On the efficiency thing, little drops of water make a might ocean, processing residency gives you an idea that at least they are a little bit organised compared to naija (common epassport na wahala to get in naija).

Please read my posts again, I am not against private participation, I am against private participation without regulation ( this is the norm, abi who is controlling MTN and others), your Jonathan is not focussed enough to carry this through, he is indecisive and easily swayed, do you think he will have the backbone to deal with these private companies when they mess up?

Everything you are advocating will work in a structured environment where things work as normal, our privatization in Nigeria is not what is practised worldwide, this present Government as it is constituted can not achieve proper privatization.

The bottom line is that the government needs to be serious and committed, when they are, we can privatise some and leave some in the hands of the government.

You say he has been there for just 6 months, Ezekwesili shook the Mining Industry within a month, Okonjo Iweala hit the ground running, your Jonathan is busy banning and unbanning Super Eagles.

You do not have to fight oil companies but telling them to clean up their mess in the Niger delta is not fighting o, it is their duty.

I apologise for the disorganised way of the post, I do not know how to quote properly, I am sure you will be able to figure out the points I am responding to.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by mecussey(m): 6:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
Every Chinese and South Africans knows that power is on demand in Nigeria; should Mr. president privatize this sector, we won't complain about power failure again but we will pay through our noses. Somebody like me would pay less because, I know how to save energy; got energy saving bulbs as low as 26watts, got LCD TV as low as 40watts, got inverter to support etc. At the end of the day, I may not use up to 2kw. Unfortunately, most of our people don't know this; some people waste energy like hell. I've been to a flat where all they use are 200watts tungsten filament bulbs in every room and toilet, I wonder.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Jul 07, 2010
mecussey:

Every Chinese and South Africans knows that power is on demand in Nigeria; should Mr. president privatize this sector, we won't complain about power failure again but we will pay through our noses. Somebody like me would pay less because, I know how to save energy; got energy saving bulbs as low as 26watts, got LCD TV as low as 40watts, got inverter to support etc. At the end of the day, I may not use up to 2kw. Unfortunately, most of our people don't know this; some people waste energy like hell. I've been to a flat where all they use are 200watts tungsten filament bulbs in every room and toilet, I wonder.

I think you are being a bit naive on this. Privatization will likely raise the cost so many times more than you currently pay now, only to drop off a bit as the years go by. Considering the massive investment that will be necessary to upgrade our infrastruture, I think people need to understand that energy saving bulbs and the lot is not necessarily going to make the cost go away.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Wallie(m): 8:39pm On Jul 07, 2010
mecussey:

Somebody like me would pay less because, I know how to save energy; got energy saving bulbs as low as 26watts, got LCD TV as low as 40watts, got inverter to support etc. At the end of the day, I may not use up to 2kw. Unfortunately, most of our people don't know this; some people waste energy like hell. I've been to a flat where all they use are 200watts tungsten filament bulbs in every room and toilet, I wonder.
Kudos to you for curtailing your power usage! Even in the US, we do curtail our daily usage especially when it comes to cooling and heating. During winter months, it is not uncommon for energy bill (gas and electricity) to go as high as $400 in a moderately sized house where the heater is set to a very comfortable setting all day. The bottom line is that you pay based on your usage.

I highly doubt that the use of inverters can save you energy cost except if you’re charging the inverter through solar, wind, or hydro. You will actually waste energy due to the inefficiency of the battery if all you do is plug the inverter into the wall socket. Efficiency is less than 100% and further degrades with time.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 9:08pm On Jul 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Considering all he is doing is putting in place policies to aid Private companies to take over control(he does not have to actually build power plants and the lot that past governments have tried), and his party remains a majority in the house and senate, I believe we need to hold him to the June 2011 deadline this time around.

what new thing has he done? apart from gas, jonathan hasn't done anything new in the power sector. . .or are there policies you've heard about that i missed?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
netotse:

what new thing has he done? apart from gas, jonathan hasn't done anything new in the power sector. . .or are there policies you've heard about that i missed?

Bad english on my part. I meant all he would need to do in this case . . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by PapaBrowne(m): 11:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Paddy_lo
Kudos to you for holding it down on this thread. Every sentence in your post is good education for those willing to learn.
Sad thing though is that many Nigerians are by design Socialists and would find it hard to appreciate many of the things you've stated.
People don't just understand that to get the best you would have to pay for it. Nothing comes for free. If we must get adequate electricity, then we must pay for it.

All those fellas asking how the poor would pay; I have just one question for you:
How come the poor are paying happily for the privatized telecoms services been rendered by MTN, Glo , Zain and co.? ?
Gatemen, Okada Riders, Beggars, Bricklayers, Househelps and whoever you could define as poor are ever happily making calls. Infact they probably constitute the largest market for the TELCOs and that's why you have the 100naira recharge cards selling like candies.

If privatization took us from 400,000 lines to 70 million lines, from 150,000 naira per line to 200 naira per line and from 2 years wait time to instant access all in less than a decade, then Privatization is a winner. If you cannot see it, then it's because you are too slow and all I can wish for you in that case is that you find the ability to put your brain into better use.

This move to privatize power is about the only solution to Nigeria's power problems. Government should hands of everything the private sector is capable of handling- Railways, Roads, Power, Airports, Seaports, everything should be handed to the private sector. Let the little resources we have be used in developing more advance healthcare and education and other social systems.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by xterra2(m): 11:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
@XTERRA2

U sound like an ethnic Jingoist. . we are talking real reforms here,and u are telling me about some silly River Niger dredging that doesnt do anything but waste money

The problem with u Nigerians is u always want GOVT to do things for u. .
when everyone knows that same GOVT is mostly incompetent

The RIVER Niger Dredging by Yaradua was just a job for the boys
a lot of the companys awarded the contract to were not even competent

After the dredging is done what happens next yr?

or dont u know dredging is a yearly/continuos event?
If there is no private sector need for dredging that river,then am afraid its all a white elephant project
Ships will berth at Lagos,lekki ports,onne,PH,Warri or calabar ports

why would they travel another 2000km inland?  Huh
Tell your Northern Governors to stop stealing the money given to them

They should encourage their citizens to go to school,give the kids free lunch
discourage riots so that industries can come set up up North
and the economy up their will boom

Not some silly dredging that is laughable. .
PS Jonathan did not cancel the said dredging but nothing like facts to get in the way of your misplaced rants
See am not an ethic Jingoist but a useless government and bad president Jingoist
The problem with u Nigerians is u always want GOVT to do things for u. .
when everyone knows that same GOVT is mostly incompetent

So do u expect Power and road and equipments at hospitals to be done by paddlo or by xterra? No to be done by government but if they dont as the case now they should give it out now apart from private sector taking control of electricity by june 2011 (when jonathan will be back in bayelsa as a former presido) he should allow state governments to do theirs as now they MUST supply to national grid and also give out more IPPs and PUNISH those who given didnt perfor like his assiatnt on power prof NNaji who has an IPP lincence for years and didnt do anytn and given adviser which obviously would put his business interest above me and you
When Eveyone knows the GOVT is incompetent isnt that what am saying? and we dont need an incompetent presido by 2011 lets leave 50 yrs to waste(not completely) and not having a corrupt 1st lady
And to the dredging why do government for decades been tinkin bout it? cus its important and wait till miracle happens and it is completed to see the unreserved benefit and on the day od the start of the dredging BBC gave a report and praised yaradua and saying that is is a useful project to embark upon
and jonathan took part of the money to shoreline protection in the ND to show that he is a South president not North and South  just after been the acting presido just after and now there is division between north and south all thmx to zoning he jonathan creates confusion btween north and south idio.t
If he wants 2011 he has time WORK for Nigeria and Nigerians and opt for independent candidacy and put the north in shame,

The RIVER Niger Dredging by Yaradua was just a job for the boys
a lot of the companys awarded the contract to were not even competent

After the dredging is done what happens next yr?

Not a job for boys dats a lie and the companies were competent and what happens next year? The States 8 would benefit and it would help the economy of those states
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 12:34am On Jul 08, 2010
@Paddy_lo
Kudos to you for holding it down on this thread. Every sentence in your post is good education for those willing to learn.
Sad thing though is that many Nigerians are by design Socialists and would find it hard to appreciate many of the things you've stated.
People don't just understand that to get the best you would have to pay for it. Nothing comes for free. If we must get adequate electricity, then we must pay for it.

All those fellas asking how the poor would pay; I have just one question for you:
How come the poor are paying happily for the privatized telecoms services been rendered by MTN, Glo , Zain and co.? ?
Gatemen, Okada Riders, Beggars, Bricklayers, Househelps and whoever you could define as poor are ever happily making calls. Infact they probably constitute the largest market for the TELCOs and that's why you have the 100naira recharge cards selling like candies.

If privatization took us from 400,000 lines to 70 million lines, from 150,000 naira per line to 200 naira per line and from 2 years wait time to instant access all in less than a decade, then Privatization is a winner. If you cannot see it, then it's because you are too slow and all I can wish for you in that case is that you find the ability to put your brain into better use.

@Papabrowne. .

Yea its a shame about Nigerians being default Socialists. . . I just read an article on bloomberg today.  .Pls check this link below out

[size=14pt]Nissan’s Waiting List Swells in Bangkok on Car Demand (Update1)[/size]

July 7 (Bloomberg) -- Customers coming to Siam Motor Sales’ Bangkok showroom for a Nissan Motor Co. March compact car leave with a place on a five-month waiting list instead.

“Five to 10 people come in every day asking about it,” Wiwat Manuthad, a Siam Motor salesman, said. About 8,000 buyers have ordered the vehicle, which starts at 375,000 baht ($11,600) he said.

[size=13pt]Thailand’s auto production is projected to rise 60 percent this year as Nissan, Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. boost output to meet rising domestic and overseas demand. The car industry’s share of the nation’s economy has grown to more than 10 percent,helping offset a slump in tourism after the country’s worst riots in almost two decades earlier this year[/size]. . . .CONTD
http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=afeZF2ppzbZM&pos=13

Now this is a country Thailand that has had worse Political Instability than Nigeria in the past 10yrs
Has had coups and riots in the past 5yrs

People from thailand dont have 2 heads,they are not smarter than your average Nigerian
Both countries lie on the same Tropic zone and have roughly the same type of temperature

However Thailand has attracted car Manufacturers from All over Asia/America to set up plants in the country
what do u think is catalyst for this if not that they have steady power supply to run Industries and manufacturing plants

Imagine if we can attract some of these companies to set up shop in Nigeria. .  .
the so called poor or unskilled workers will form the bulk of the Factory workforce

More importantly we will begin to diversify our economy,into heavy industries. .
we will be exporting cars from lagos ports to europe,latin america and rest of Africa

Its a shame that the socialists within our midst,cannot see past their noses
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by PapaBrowne(m): 3:56am On Jul 08, 2010
^^^^
Thanks 4 the article. I read it.
Two striking points:
1) The automobile manufacturing industry contributes 10% of Thailand's GDP. Thailand's GDP(ppp) is over $500 billion. 10% of that will be $50 billion. That means Thailand gets more from it's automobile production than we get from our crude oil production.Except they are refering 2 nominal GDP.
2) Did you notice how all the automobile giants are falling over each other to open new plants in Thailand??Now the striking part is that this is all happening despite the numerous political unrest that have plagued Thailand since the coup that sacked Thaskin Shinawatra in 2006. Since then there have been 5 leaders of the country.

Nigeria has all it takes to attract these kinds of investments if we can just get the basics right especially with regard to power infrastructure. And the only way to do this is to allow the private sector develop these things while the Government focuses on regulation.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 5:25am On Jul 08, 2010
2) Did you notice how all the automobile giants are falling over each other to open new plants in Thailand??Now the striking part is that this is all happening despite the numerous political unrest that have plagued Thailand since the coup that sacked Thaskin Shinawatra in 2006. Since then there have been 5 leaders of the country.

This is the most striking aspect of it too. . . . People will tell u that Nigeria is Politically unstable,but it cannot be more unstable than thailand
Meanwhile they(Thailand) are also Fighting a muslim insurgency in the south of the country

Even if they are talking Nominal GDP which in Thailand is close to $300bln. . 10% of that is still $30billion
and close to what we make a yr in oil. . .

We will get there though. . i believe once we are done with the 2011 elections
the power sector and oil sector will be deregulated

and u will see serious money Flow into the country
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by otondo55: 11:50am On Jul 08, 2010
Thank you so much Paddy lo

being following your comments,

hope you related/analyze all these to

Mr President. we really need a way forward, we cant wait for mr. right.

This is the right time for the right man.

Go GEJ, come 2011.

Nigeria must move forward, we must be ready to pay for it.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2010
Thank you so much Paddy lo

being following your comments,

hope you related/analyze all these to

Mr President

I sent him all these on his Facebook discussion page. .but i believe he is on top of it already
me too i cant wait for Nigeria to claim its rightful place in this world

cheers
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2010
actually GJ isn't the main problem. . .the problem is the people that benefit from the sector remaining as it is. . .the unions, contractors and senior civil servants. Paying the union off is a good idea but for someone that didn't have the balls to tell FIFA to go **** themselves, taming the power sector'll be an uphill task.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
netotse:

actually GJ isn't the main problem. . .the problem is the people that benefit from the sector remaining as it is. . .the unions, contractors and senior civil servants. Paying the union off is a good idea but for someone that didn't have the balls to tell FIFA to go **** themselves, taming the power sector'll be an uphill task.

All we need from him are solid policies that will move the sector in the right direction. Once those are in place, the people who currently benefit from this trash can cry us a river for all we care, and the ruling party can take a vacation as well.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by netotse(m): 5:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
bolseas:

despite the docs at his dipossal, he still went ahead talking nonsense. i think i should tell u abt the Transmission Substation being constructed in Ganmo in Kwara State (my mum's home town). dis project was awarded to Matelec, a Libyan Coy. whn the FG failed to release funds for this project, the kwara state govt took it upon itself to complete it after getting facts from the Consultants and NDPHC hoping dat d fed govt will refund, right now kwara state has abt 100mw of electricity supply.

perhaps, if other governors completed these projects in their deifferent states, the power situation in nigeria would ve improved.

i knew there was something about this guy, with the way he was calling the lot numbers up and down the place. . .lol
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by SuperT(m): 6:14am On Jul 10, 2010
If this is what will solved energy problem in Nigeria I support it to happen soonest.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by AjanleKoko: 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2011
See high jump angry

Almost September 2011, and nothing going on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba, Hausa In Enugu Decry Marginalisation / RMAFC Wants VAT Increased To 7.5% / Nigerian Lady Finds Biafran Currency In Her Grandfather's Belongings. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.