Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? (3964 Views)

What Makes Peugeot Steering Wheel To Be Upside Down? / Is A Facelift Different From An Upgrade? / What Is Toyota SR5 And What Makes It Different From TRD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 10:07am On Sep 17, 2018
Daimler-Benz will tell you it is the engineering, and to a high degree that is correct.

It used to be even more correct than it is now, but others — such as BMW and Audi — have improved their engineering to the degree that they are certainly in the same league as M-B. These cars are engineered almost as well as commercial jet aircraft.

They are engineered to be driven at 150+ mph on the Autobahn, more or less indefinitely. While highway driving is not the most demanding service one can demand from a car, at very high speeds for long periods, it is extremely severe service. Most American cars would collapse in short order if someone tried to drive them at top speed (merely 120 mph or so) for an extended time.

Another important differentiation is fit and finish. Mercedes makes their cars to be perfect. Not just good, but perfect. Once again, there are others which rival that. Rolls-Royce has, always. Now, Bentley, Porsche, Audi, and very high on the list, BMW and Lexus. Other cars are good in this regard, just not quite as good.

And of course Mercedes tries to have all the luxury features conceivable — in the main, as standard equipment not as added-cost accessories. If they could figure out how to do it, they would surely equip their cars with indoor toilets and kitchens.

Here, luxury definitely includes ride quality. Comfort and support of seats, for example. You can sit in a Mercedes all day long, without discomfort — more, probably, than you can say for your living room couch. And suspension. The Benz handles bumps, wavy pavement, sticks and rocks, potholes and anything else so that passengers hardly feel them. Now, there are some other makes that also provide an excellent ride, but with Mercedes it is an engineering fetish, and they succeed.

All of that, and more, obviously comes at a price. You can buy three very good American or Japanese cars for the cost of one Mercedes. M-B cars are not fragile, but parts do wear out and break down. Replacement parts for most cars are rather expensive, but for Mercedes individual parts usually run into the hundreds of dollars, and many are in the thousands. They last a long time on the road, but it costs quite a bit to keep them on the road.

People argue endlessly about whether Mercedes is the best car in the world. Maybe not, and there are some low-end Mercedes products which surely are not the best in the world. At the high end, there may be some rivals, but extremely few; and none, so far as I know, which stands head and shoulders over Mercedes.

Another thing that makes Mercedes-Benz cars unique, besides their engineering, quality, fit, and finish is that they have panache and style that Japanese, American, and Korean car manufacturers have tried to emulate but so far, to no avail. The panache and style of Mercedes-Benz is something that is very subjective, yet very elusive to emulate by other car manufacturers.
Source Quora

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 10:10am On Sep 17, 2018

They are engineered to be driven at 150+ mph on the Autobahn, more or less indefinitely. While highway driving is not the most demanding service one can demand from a car, at very high speeds for long periods, it is extremely severe service. Most American cars would collapse in short order if someone tried to drive them at top speed (merely 120 mph or so) for an extended time.

Cc
Heavenlybang Nurey inception

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by antagonist: 10:23am On Sep 17, 2018

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by antagonist: 10:24am On Sep 17, 2018

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 10:25am On Sep 17, 2018
antagonist:

For intelligent mechanics I mean technicians.... Mercedes Benz hands down...but you need to be specific on the MY of reference.
Not just large luxury cars add this antagonist

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by antagonist: 10:25am On Sep 17, 2018

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by antagonist: 10:26am On Sep 17, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 10:49am On Sep 17, 2018
Antagonist.... Lexus is a far cry from Mercedes Benz.
Other brands try to measure up to the Mercedes Benz brand not the Lexus... And when reliability is mentioned you need to understand the philosophy behind the Mercedes Benz brand....

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by 9icetoo(m): 11:40am On Sep 17, 2018
undecided German fan boys are gonna have a field day with this.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 12:11pm On Sep 17, 2018
mindset. some people have been brainwashed and there is no hope in redeeming them.

change is the only constant thing in life, in the 80s and 90s benz was the wheat of flour, the jam in the donut and the cream of the ice cream. But now, there are new players in town who are not ready to take over but have taken over and holding on to the position now.

The Germans have been relegated to the background let the Japanese have the day they deserve it.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
chaiiiiiiii
antagonist y are u like this now....
see as u just Carry fact wan wound kewtt.....

Lexus ti take over oh but I'd love me some MB

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by lilkech(m): 12:55pm On Sep 17, 2018
Scenario 1:

buy a new Mercedes today ... get home and your wife says she doesn’t like it ... a month later take it to dealership/car mart to be sold at 60% of its initial purchase price

Scenario 2:

buy a new Lexus today ... take it home and drive it for a year or two until a better version comes out ... take it to a car mart to be sold for 70% if it’s initial purchase price

If I’m buying a Benz it better be the diesel variant as the other one depreciates faster than salt dipped in water.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:
mindset. some people have been brainwashed and there is no hope in redeeming them.

change is the only constant thing in life, in the 80s and 90s benz was the wheat of flour, the jam in the donut and the cream of the ice cream. But now, there are new players in town who are not ready to take over but have taken over and holding on to the position now.

The Germans have been relegated to the background let the Japanese have the day they deserve it.
Hahahaha painment above

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2018
lilkech:
Scenario 1:

buy a new Mercedes today ... get home and your wife says she doesn’t like it ... a month later take it to dealership/car mart to be sold at 60% of its initial purchase price

Scenario 2:

buy a new Lexus today ... take it home and drive it for a year or two until a better version comes out ... take it to a car mart to be sold for 70% if it’s initial purchase price

If I’m buying a Benz it better be the diesel variant as the other one depreciates faster than salt dipped in water.
You don't sell a Merc like guguru Lexus. If you don't belong in the Mercedes class you don't...

6 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:01pm On Sep 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

chaiiiiiiii

antagonist y are u like this now....

see as u just Carry fact wan wound kewtt.....

Lexus ti take over oh
but I'd love me some MB
There are no facts there. Only copy and paste from a sponsored blog. And reliability is not even the topic but luxury... Because reliability in German terms is different from what Japanese understands as reliability

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2018
mb fans are like IPhone and Arsenal fans..... die hard....
there is this saying I heard in the early 90's
"only two type of cars, MB and others"
I still heard someone say that recently and I was like...... seLiouslyy?

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:44pm On Sep 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
mb fans are like IPhone and Arsenal fans..... die hard....

there is this saying I heard in the early 90's

"only two type of cars, MB and others"

I still heard someone say that recently and I was like...... seLiouslyy?
Bruv MB is the benchmark in automotive industry... Benz suffered a setback due to an unfortunate collaboration with Chrysler....

3 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 2:47pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:
Hahahaha painment above
is it your painment?
Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:49pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

is it your painment?

You're like the stick wielding creature herein

3 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 2:50pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:

Bruv MB is the benchmark in automotive industry... Benz suffered a setback due to an unfortunate collaboration with Chrysler....

benchmark grin

when last did benz win anything? Even your S-class is not there again.
engine nothing
luxury nothing
sport nothing
speed nothing

grin

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:52pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

benchmark grin

when last did benz win anything? Even your S-class is not there again.
engine nothing
luxury nothing
sport nothing
speed nothing

grin
Hahahaha Benz has won it all.... With so much awards on the shelves....

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 2:52pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:

You're like the stick wielding creature herein
is it your stick wielding creature?

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

Nah
Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

Nah but I can only imagine the consequence of your action.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:

Hahahaha Benz has won it all.... With so much awards on the shelves....

Awards on shelves don't get you best seller, don't get you reliability also die hard fans.

Lexus ti take over, the sooner you realise the better for you

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 4:24pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

Awards on shelves don't get you best seller, don't get you reliability also die hard fans.

Lexus ti take over, the sooner you realise the better for you

Not possible sir... You are mixing things up... There's Mercedes Benz and there's the poor man's Mercedes called Lexus. That's the bitter truth!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by nurey(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:

Not possible sir... You are mixing things up... There's Mercedes Benz and there's the poor man's Mercedes called Lexus. That's the bitter truth!

The last time I checked the poor man was ahead of you

1 Like

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 4:45pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

The last time I checked the poor man was ahead of you
Forever number one... stop spewing Yada yada don't hate... Gba fun Oga e.. lexus has and will always be a poor man's Mercedes.

4 Likes

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by Kewtt: 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2018
adegoroye1736:
benchmark when last did benz win anything? Even your S-class is not there again. engine nothing luxury nothing sport nothing speed nothing
Learn to read even crooky antagonist confirmed it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? by antagonist: 5:42pm On Sep 17, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot / Used And Cheap Cars That Are Good For Transportation Business. (Photos) / I Want To Sell My Infiniti G35 2008 Model Asap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.