Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? (18564 Views)

Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable / Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by ejay25(m): 10:36am On Sep 21, 2018
I am self employed because naija has no plan for youth so please support my dog business and connect me with possible buyer abeg... Help my hustle 08023979423. I reside in Benin city

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by DaBillionnaire: 10:37am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

So ENGLISH LANGUAGE is now a measure of employability....??
Someone’s language for that matter...
When did MATHEMATICS become a measure of employability...
What we need in NIGERIA is simply viral industrialization.
U need to visit GUANGZHOU in CHINA, and check out those who manufacture laptops and other accessories if they know what ENGLISH is.....

U need to visit St.VENICO street in ITALY to check if those who manufacture those ITALIAN SHOES can speak English language and solve mathematics..

We are FINISHED oooooooooo
NIGERIA needs steady power supply
And Industrial revolution.
Let’s stop deceiving ourselves with those PAPERWORK RUBBISH.
Most dropouts in the US thought and came up with drones.
FACTORIES should just proliferate the way churches are proliferating, that’s all we need.
We import everything we consume here, including refined crude oil.
Several CARGO PLANES visit Nigeria on daily basis, just to offload items for the terrible consumers.

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
No YOUTH is unemployable.
Even the disabled, work.

You nailed it bro

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 21, 2018
you have a brain.
1stNumeroUno:

The irony is - the more employable graduates we have the more job opportunities would abound. I can explain further if you need me too.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by nwakadivine0806: 10:44am On Sep 21, 2018
The question is? Can our leader's bring all it required to achieve good education in our country Nigeria? I believe when those things are fist, believe me, there shall be a Good people in our country.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by flyca: 10:49am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

U need to visit GUANGZHOU in CHINA, and check out those who manufacture laptops and other accessories if they know what ENGLISH is.....

U need to visit St.VENICO street in ITALY to check if those who manufacture those ITALIAN SHOES can speak English language and solve mathematics..

FACTORIES should just proliferate the way churches are proliferating, that’s all we need.
Several CARGO PLANES visit Nigeria on daily basis, just to offload items for the terrible consumers.

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
Even the disabled, work.

I wish I can like your post 50 times!
You see eh, if we have an industralized society, there is a place for everyone! My current company employes about 700 staff. It's an engineering, but there is a place for everyone!
Managerial staff (20), Engineers (50), Technicians (70) Secetaries (20), Cleaners (20), Cooks (20), security staff (10), Prototype and testing (20), Quality control (15), IT staff (10), HR (10), drivers (10) etc.

Everyone of us in a payroll, feels relaxed about job security, steady salary, equal treatment, good working environment and it's been steady like this for years.

Tell me who will be on the street looking for trouble? Or carrying CV up and down? Or stealing etc

** Numbers in brackets are just estimates in my head for illustrations only but you see, there is a place where everyone fits!

You mustn't “know book” or “IM” to find where to fit in!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Cindy08: 10:50am On Sep 21, 2018
This is very true
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by j1mmy: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2018
ehinmowo:
Op there is only one reason why our graduates cannot easily fit (NOT UNEMPLOYABLE) into the job world. That is the deplorable state of our educational system. Nothing more.

Rubbish,
Many successful people around the world today never attended decent secondary schools let alone universities and when they did they pick the right courses, right mentality and right plan.

Indians use lanterns and candles to study things like programming and other freeware courses: they account for the highest number of developers in the world today.

You cannot expect to study sociology and mass comm and go conquer the world.
You cannot spend most of your time on cultism and expect any commonsense attitude to emerge from your time at school.
You cannot base your learning on "work of god" and expect to be innovative.
Education is not only about study, Nigerian mentality renders education useless.

Nigeria imports intelligence (aka expatriates) not because of education but mentality!
Most Chinese people who are Ogas of Nigerian PHD holders are prisoners and low level skilled people.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by mannycrown: 10:54am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
Even the disabled, work.

You spilled my thoughts verbatim! God bless you eventhough you're an evilforest. Lol. How dare the OP say MOST Nigerian graduates? OP be careful. I'm sure you're not a youth.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by qanda: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2018
The knowledge and resources that are complementary to the corrective measures mentioned by Op is available on Q and A App for FREE. Download Q and A App on Google Playstore.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 21, 2018
flyca:

I wish I can like your post 50 times!
You see eh, if we have an industralized society, there is a place for everyone! My current company employes about 700 staff. It's an engineering, but there is a place for everyone!
Managerial staff (20), Engineers (50), Technicians (70) Secetaries (20), Cleaners (20), Cooks (20), security staff (10), Prototype and testing (20), Quality control (15), IT (10) etc

Everyome of us in a payroll, feels relaxed about job security, good working environment and it's been steady like this for years. Tell me who will be on the street looking for trouble? Or carrying CV up and down? Or stealing etc

Numbers in brackets are just estimates in my head but there is a place where evetyone fits! You mustn't “know book” or “IM” to find where to fit in!
I once visited a HOSPITAL owned by NIGERIAN DOCTORS in the US. They did such through collaboration and they have succeeded in employing 600 medical doctors under them.
NIGERIA is not even on a track to success.
We are not LAZY. We are just unfortunate to have leaders without VISION and MISSION.
Each day I open GOOGLE MAP to visit locations in states across Nigeria and possibly ease my way around, I weep.
All I see are WORSHIP CENTERS and FILLING STATIONS.
What’s Happening...
It’s not about ENGLISH LANGUAGE.
That’s someone’s language for crying out loud.
My Family over there speak Igbo and Pidgin well.
Some communities in the US, don’t speak English.
Communities in El Segundo, California speak Spanish.
In fact they employ people fluent in Spanish because of its proximity to Mexico.
CHINA, HP laptop manufacturers, make 66,000 laptops on any working day. Google it

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by AnalyticalMind: 11:05am On Sep 21, 2018
Alero3Arubi:
We have founded a system of blame apportionment.
No one wants to be responsible for their lives or actions anymore. So what do they do?
They blame the government, parents, lecturers, even society.
What we have all failed to know is that laziness is what is our problem.
Until we stop this custom of entitlement and laziness we will remain here.
Unemployable!!

Let's be objective, dont be quick to blame, it's quite unfortunate to have the kind of educational system we have in nigeria, if only the system was effective, there wouldn't be a "generalization" that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. this menace is a product of a deficit system which was solely put in place to address that, the truth is that many people don't realize on time how weak and programed to fail this our educational system is designed, they just felt well, I'm in school, I will do my best to make up with the requirements and I will be fine afterall, if we all schooled in the U.S would we be unemployable? The only thing we should rather do is encourage/create awareness instead of blame Nigerian graduates, to wake up to their reality, take it upon themselves,to go the extra mile, to make up for the deficiency in the system which they wouldn't have needed to do elsewhere.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by flyca: 11:11am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

I once visited a HOSPITAL owned by NIGERIAN DOCTORS in the US. They did such through collaboration and they have succeeded in employing 600 medical doctors under them.
We are not LAZY. We are just unfortunate to have leaders without VISION and MISSION.
Each day I open GOOGLE MAP to visit locations in states across Nigeria and possibly ease my way around, I weep.
What’s Happening...
In fact, I speak Igbo and Pidgin whenever I visit there.
In fact they employ people fluent in Spanish because of its proximity to Mexico.
CHINA, HP laptop manufacturers, make 66,000 laptops every working day. Google it

We have really unfortunate with bad leaders over the 60 years of our independence! My mum visited me last month. One of her observations was “no filling stations?”. Lol. Very very few, yet you'll never hear of scarcity! Only two churches in a city, yet no day light robbery, cheating, begging and all other vices! My elite supervisor told me that the only thing Nigeria has done in 60 years is political gimmicks! “We” are professional at that. Nothing else angry Development is not by propaganda!

In fact lemme stop here. I weep for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 21, 2018
Kewtt:
I'll tell you a story.

There's this girl who aced all her subjects in secondary school.

Not just acing but award-worthy educational success.

She was so good that at her Junior Secondary 3 (JSS 3) level, she was solving mathematical problems from Senior Secondary 1 & 2 (SS 1 & 2) curriculum.

1st Mistake

She loved Maths & computers but was admitted into the university to study Geology.

Today, she still thinks she would have been a statistics wizard if she'd been allowed to just study Math or Engineering. You know - subjects where she doesn't have to always cram some qualitative garbage but provide quantitative solutions.

2nd Mistake

When she got into the university, she realized she didn't have to study very hard. Very few people were bothering to anyway. She was extremely smart & could hold her own but it became easier to combine intellectual efforts with other students at assignments, tests & final exams.

The system allowed it.

All her friends did it so, why fight it?

3rd Mistake

While at school, no one ever taught her how to write a résumé or successfully approach interviews.

She, just like everyone around her wanted a good life but the system pretty much set them up to fail.

When she graduated, she met a professional at an international oil & gas company who asked her what she wanted to do in life & to explain her undergraduate degree experience but she was not prepared for that.

She gave answers which were weak, mostly incoherent, lacked precision or clarity.

She'd never thought of herself in that light.

The internet wasn't readily accessible back then so she was pretty much left on her own with her fellow ignorant peers.

She also had a great & supportive family who she leaned on.

Luckily for her, she got some mentors, then left the country for her masters degree.

At 1st, she struggled at her Canadian university.

Correcting her 2nd mistake

She had to actually learn all those skills & resources she didn't bother with back in Nigeria due to combined students’ efforts.

She had to read all those textbooks she never bothered with in her Nigerian university in order to excel at her program.

Correcting her 3rd mistake

She also met lecturers whose method of teaching was about empowering students to run with their ideas.

It wasn't about multiple choice questions but making a case of why Case A is better/worse than Case B.

It made her actually think for the 1st time in her life. She learned how to make great presentations. It was a confidence boost. It was exhilarating!

She learned about plagiarism which is a very despicable thing. She also learned about self-development, professional development & presentations.

She learned it was ok to make decisions, make mistakes & then learn from them.

She became comfortable working alone & also with a team. She learned the power of independence.

She was a different person.

She became more confident about her thoughts & ideas. No one laughs at her mistakes nor condemns her for them.

Her bosses don't care about always being right or barking orders at those under them. Team contributions is crucial, encouraged & needed.

Everybody is equal. No one feared anyone. It was a healthy environment. She was valued. She freely runs her program the way she sees fit.

This is my story.

There's no correcting my 1st mistake. If I ever do, I'll tell a story about it.

If you read this, you'd understand how the Nigerian system encourages laziness & might discourage talent because of envy or pride.

Many Nigerian graduates are victims of their own underdeveloped & redundant society.

Maybe with the internet, a few might self-improve. Otherwise, they're unemployable because there's very few people to teach them better.

Note to any Nigerian student reading this - don't take the easy way out. Read not just to pass your examinations but to actually know.

You'd be truly a better person & student for it.

Good luck!

smiley

Source Uche Metuh Quora

There was no need for an epistle.

Nigerian graduates are unemployable because Nigeria does not have an education sector....Neither does Nigeria have any higher institution.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by fabienjoe: 11:24am On Sep 21, 2018
Alero3Arubi:
We have founded a system of blame apportionment.
No one wants to be responsible for their lives or actions anymore. So what do they do?
They blame the government, parents, lecturers, even society.
What we have all failed to know is that laziness is what is our problem.
Until we stop this custom of entitlement and laziness we will remain here.
Unemployable!!

God bless you...Culture of entitlement....Not taking responsibility... A Nigerian youth would blame everyone but himself for his lack of job. Try to engage him in a conversation and you instantly understand why he's not employed. Work culture is alien to Nigerians. Even some of the employed have no clue what work means..Yes in offices, Nigerians do church and mosque during work hours, answering calls, eating even when not on break, shop workers sitting around rather than standing, general poor attitude.

Work is never an entitlement. You must be able to make a contribution to be hired. This is the case even in developed countries. There are still many unemployed graduates in the UK, US and elsewhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by showafrica(m): 11:48am On Sep 21, 2018
Nigerians are lazy in the brain coupled with the likes of Buhari as president.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by solelymade: 11:55am On Sep 21, 2018
Nigerian Graduates are unemployed not absolutely because of a flawed educational system not need based as the Op claimed. I identify with the reasoning of the Op, need based education is necessary, but I must reiterate strongly millions of Nigerian graduates are employable.
First you must understand that the entry point of a graduate in a organisation is Managerial(mid-level managers) with less technical or tactical implementation, who should run on the field. The organogram of an organisation is typically pyramidal, that is it broad at the base where low level staffs are and get narrow upward. Nigeria of today is not industrialised to the level at which graduates can be absolved at their entry point. Even, the so called employable ones are mostly underemployed.
What we need is to become higher industrialised, teach entrepreneurship scheme that is tailored after the society needs and close the doors to the importation of such means to satisfy such needs. As a matter of urgency in teaching entrepreneurship, marketing should take center stage. I do not need add the importance of financing in the design of this scheme. Government is vital to all these but as always they will prove useless because they don't care about us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Mizwisdom(f): 11:59am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

What’s Happening...
My Family over there speak Igbo and Pidgin well.
CHINA, HP laptop manufacturers, make 66,000 laptops on any working day. Google it

Where did our leaders come from? Let me answer it, they came from within our society
What makes up a society?; family units. They didn't come from Mars or Pluto, they came from homes with low moral standard.

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by temitope66(m): 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2018
BRAVO!nice write up.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by femi4: 12:33pm On Sep 21, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

The irony is - the more employable graduates we have the more job opportunities would abound. I can explain further if you need me too.
Not true

As at today, we have more employable graduates on the street without Job
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by jmichael259(m): 12:48pm On Sep 21, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

please explain to me. I always wanted to agree with something like this.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Abdul4trust1(m): 12:55pm On Sep 21, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Flickzvill(m): 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
Even the disabled, work.
God bless you for me
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by 1stNumeroUno: 1:11pm On Sep 21, 2018
jmichael259:

please explain to me. I always wanted to agree with something like this.

Okay.

If ALL our graduates are employable and just a portion of them get employed initially. Those few will get experience and exposure.

After which some of them will see opportunities and create businesses which will employ more graduate.

And the cycle continues.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by 1stNumeroUno: 1:17pm On Sep 21, 2018
femi4:
Not true

As at today, we have more employable graduates on the street without Job

Employability in the corporate world is different from 'street' bro.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by femi4: 1:25pm On Sep 21, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

Employability in the corporate world is different from 'street' bro.
You are not being practical?

How many cooperate Organization do we have?

How many graduates do they employed per year?

How many graduates are employed on merit?

How many graduates were turned down based on non related job excuses?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by blimeyVic(m): 2:01pm On Sep 21, 2018
Funny Nigerians.

You have your Oil Money, you have your many churches and mosques, and finally you have been given the internet, yet you all go back to blame the white men for doing one thing or the other to harm you.

Actually, the colonial masters laid foundations in their colonies that will benefit them in the long run, but must Nigerians keep dwelling in mediocrity?

Do these Nigerians know that over 3/4 of the actual colonial masters are long dead?
Why should you people keep blaming dead white men for your woes?
If care isn't taken, with the way things are unfolding, by 2050, the younger generations would still be blaming the white men for their problems.
Which white man? Mark Zuckerberg?
Lol.

If the laid down system is wrong, fix it!!
If the education is inappropriate, revamp it!!
But if you all refuse to turn away from the various evils you are carrying out against yourselves, be sure that spirits of same dead colonial masters you are falsely accusing will forever haunt you.

Say No to bribery and corruption, organised LOOTING of public funds, dark web, poor work ethics, vote buying, god-fathers, religious and ethnic cleansing, and embrace hard-work, diligence, & functional education.

#Nigeria Rising.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by GetCofOProperty: 2:14pm On Sep 21, 2018
Nigerian Graduates Should Add Entrepreneurial skills to their academic certifications.! grin

Check my signature below and get in touch with us ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by BabaIbo: 3:22pm On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
Even the disabled, work.

Nice one
God bless you bro
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 21, 2018
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Seankay323: 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2018
The ones that are employable nko how HV they transformed the economy , in naija everyone is just about how to take care of their pocket nobody wants to sacrifice for the good of the nation. Why is it that politics or knowing someone politician is the easiest way to wealth in Nigeria. If you like bring elon tusk to Nigeria , I bet you the system will frustrate him. Do you know Nigerians are one of the smartest in the whole I dare to say next to Chinese but most are just unfortunate to be in this country. There are unemployable people everywhere in the whole.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by 1stNumeroUno: 4:16pm On Sep 21, 2018
femi4:
You are not being practical?

How many cooperate Organization do we have?

How many graduates do they employed per year?

How many graduates are employed on merit?

How many graduates were turned down based on non related job excuses?

We don't need large corporations to employ large numbers of graduate (SME employes more than 90% of US workforce).

Unfortunately, many of the few they employed are not actually employable. They get the job through nepotism, bribery to mention a few.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by femi4: 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

We don't need large corporations to employ large numbers of graduate (SME employes more than 90% of US workforce).

Unfortunately, many of the few they employed are not actually employable. They get the job through nepotism, bribery to mention a few.

SME my foot! How many of them are surviving here? In US, the enabling environment is there

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help!! I Was Invited For Abuja Electricity Distribution Company Aptitude Test. / FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals / Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.