Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters (22244 Views)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / Oba Of Benin's Wife, Queen Ewuare Places A Curse On Online Scammer (Pix) / Traditional Priests In Lagos Curse Men Who Attacked Oba Of Lagos Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by martineverest(m): 10:26am On Sep 20, 2018
Balunmalun:
Is he that powerful

Sure game of low odds available for pay after win today. If u can stake 10k and above WhatsApp 0903=80-97=299
u won't understand until u have an Edo person that will explain to u how powerful he is.....ordinary village king in Edo are very powerful,let alone oba......lemme give. one example. I'm not from benin, my part of Edo state is against women committing adultery and u dare not commit it even in secrete,otherwise spirits will do y strong thing.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Bizibi(m): 10:29am On Sep 20, 2018
booblacain:
The scare will only last a while. After a while they will get back their confidence and call bluffs on the oba's curse.
not in that state.....
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 20, 2018
Some ignorant people keep claiming ife this or ife that, ife is a village. Indeed it was never destroyed by the British, so howcome you keep praising the last oni of ife in the colonial period for developing ife through the money he embezzled from his office of prime minister of the western region? Benin City on the other hand was destroyed by the British. It was razed to the ground!
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by ike007(m): 10:34am On Sep 20, 2018
dairykidd:

Stop being hard on ur self mate . sad
oh dumb dumb knows the trick too. oya go to work .or okay sleep. I got stuffs to do .
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Born2Breed(f): 10:35am On Sep 20, 2018
id4sho:
Wash, swear for polithiefcians na. mtchewww, d traffickers use the Benin diety to brain wash their human cargo. telling them all the fictitious spells that will happen, we really need to Emancipate our selves from mental slavery . alot of these ladies eyes clear once the get to Europe and fight their godmothers.

If the yeye OBA dynasty had powers, the British could not have used gun powdered guns to bring down one of the prestigious and powerful BENIN EMPIRE.

Imagine, predominantly Christian State.Majority of Edo people are primitive and believe in their diety. What baffles me is the countless MEN OF GOD (otobolizer) dat come from their.

India is well known for their mystical powers, the British colonized them....

There is a limit to everything but the Oba fought against superior powers and choose banishment rather than kowtow to the British and become a mere administrator of Benin kingdom.

Now tell us about your kingdom or tribe? and I will tell you the gutter your ancestors originated from, and also tell you about the bastards who fathered you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by guvna(m): 10:37am On Sep 20, 2018
Daviddson:
BENIN CITY, Nigeria (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - For almost two decades, 42-year-old Patience earned a steady income sending girls from Nigeria to Europe for sex work, using black magic to stop the women from fleeing.
Now she is afraid the illegal trade could kill her.
During a ceremony in March, Oba Ewuare II, leader of the historic kingdom of Benin in southern Nigeria, invoked curses on anyone who used witchcraft to aid illegal migration.
Since then, anecdotal evidence suggests the trafficking has slowed although it is too soon for firm data to be collated.
At least nine in every 10 Nigerian women trafficked to Europe come from Edo, a mostly Christian state of 3 million people, according to the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime (UNDOC). Many came through the hands of women like Patience, who supplements her income as a hairdresser by selling girls into overseas sex work - but the leader’s ceremony has stopped that.

“I didn’t hear directly from his mouth but, through the radio and television. The Oba has stopped everything,” Patience told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in her home in Benin, where she lives with her husband and four children.
“Whenever I go out, I meet girls who beg me to take them to Europe but I refuse because I don’t want to die. Everybody is afraid.”

“No one will ever come here again,” said David Ubebe, a juju priest who for eight years attended to a flow of women bringing girls to swear oaths at his shrine as well as phone calls from madams in Europe asking him to compel girls to pay them.
He used to earn an undisclosed income for each black magic ritual he performed, boasting his powers could make someone menstruate nonstop or lose peace of mind, but is nowhere to be too nervous to defy the ban.
Meanwhile Patience is convinced a madam she knows in Europe has fallen ill because she defied the Oba by trying to extort more money from a girl and no one can diagnose her illness.
“It is the effect of the curse placed by the Oba on those who cheat. That is the reason why she is sick,” she said.

https://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKCN1LZ12D-OZATP

JOB well DONE by the Oba!!!
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by id4sho(m): 10:39am On Sep 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

India is well known for their mystical powers, the British colonized them....

There is a limit to everything but the Oba fought against superior powers and choose banishment rather than kowtow to the British and become a mere administrator of Benin kingdom.

Now tell us about your kingdom or tribe? and I will tell you the gutter your ancestors originated from, and also tell you about the bastards who fathered you.
e pain you . All these boys using female monikers.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 20, 2018
ike007:
oh dumb dumb knows the trick too. oya go to work .or okay sleep. I got stuffs to do .
Really, that's a trick
Boy ur dumber than i thought & thank God i disowned u..
Ask ur mother who ya real daddy is grin
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by musicwriter(m): 10:41am On Sep 20, 2018
Daviddson:
I can actually testify to the fact that since the man issued that Curse earlier this year, I've read many human traffickers in Benin busted and arrested. Isn't this a good omen? And who has answered this man's prayer - God or the gods of his ancestors? grin
Lalasticlala what sayest thou?

There're no Gods and gods. All Gods are Gods.

It is the white man's supremacist world view that puts his own god with capital G to have you believe that his god is better than your African Gods.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by madridsta007(m): 10:41am On Sep 20, 2018
booblacain:
The scare will only last a while. After a while they will get back their confidence and call bluffs on the oba's curse.

Lol.
You don’t know what a “curse” is. Or what is core in Benin City.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Johnboom: 10:47am On Sep 20, 2018
prolog2:
All important country in this world have a statue of an Oba of Benin in their museum. Can you say the same about your oni? The Oba of Benin fought a war against the British in order for his kingdom to remain free. Can you say the same about the oni of ife?
Historian that is reading this will laugh you till they are tired. All those Benin statue were actually made after that of great Ife. Ife bronze is a typical example for fine art student to easily remember. Stop being naive, the last time I checked your great ancestors were buried in Ile Ife before the tradition was stopped. A fact that your King cannot denied . Stop being naive boy and grow up.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Born2Breed(f): 10:49am On Sep 20, 2018
id4sho:
e pain you . All these boys using female monikers.

All these girls using male monikers!

Tell me about your tribe if you have any.

Cow dung eating nomad!
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Born2Breed(f): 10:56am On Sep 20, 2018
Johnboom:
Historian that is reading this will laugh you till they are tired. All those Benin statue were actually made after that of great Ife. Ife bronze is a typical example for fine art student to easily remember. Stop being naive, the last time I checked your great ancestors were buried in Ile Ife before the tradition was stopped. A fact that your King cannot denied . Stop being naive boy and grow up.

Stop spewing bunkum.

A teacher that can't display any bronze artifact anywhere. All your ooni keeps gifting are sculpt on canvass.

Come to Benin and see street dedicated to bronze Caster and the families are more than 500yrs old.

BTW the last time I check there is still a chair dedicated to only the Oba of Benin which your King refer to as our fathers stool.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by DemonUnderSiege: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2018
vanbonattel:
Where's the oba to curse fulani herdsmen rampaging through Edo farms?

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 20, 2018
Johnboom:
Actually, it is while reading your comments that any intelligent person would be laughing.
For your information, Benin Bronzes were kept in a very beautiful and dignifying imperial palace when the british came to take them away and burn Benin City to the ground, while what you call "ife art" was dug up from the freeking ground near or in ife. Also, the ancestors of the Oba of Benin were never buried in ife, the claim makes no sense and comes with no proof. It is merely an other attempt to give importance to the ooni of ife.
Also the claim that ife dug up stuff is older than Oba Ovonramwen's fourniture, eventhough it seems very uninteresting, is also false. Indeed, individual Benin bronze have different ages and there are many of these bronze. i remember a cock which was kept in cambridge, it belongs to Oba Ovonramwen and it was made in the 13th century.
You yoruba, jealousy will always hunt you. I bring you facts and you respond with lies hoping you will be able to decieve your yoruba "people" into stardom.
Every important country in this world has a statue of the Oba of Benin in its museum, can you say the same about the oni of the village/ife ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8flCwvoAU&t=61s

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by mu2sa2: 11:13am On Sep 20, 2018
KendrickAyomide:
don't be ignorant. there is a limit to everything.. where are the Pastors to pray against fulani herdsmen rampaging the country
The same with Leah Sharibu, the unfortunate Christian girl still being held by boko haram. Why didn't the pastors, bishops and the ubiquitous self-appointed prophets who claim all sorts of powers ORDER boko haram to release the poor girl "with automatic alacrity"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by TheKingIsHere: 11:16am On Sep 20, 2018
yeyeboi:
So The Oba Is Scared To Curse This Lifeless Government shocked shocked shocked
What stops you from laying curse on this lifeless government?

Shioorrr
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by TheKingIsHere: 11:19am On Sep 20, 2018
ike007:
Africans and their mumu don start. why can't he curse Edo state to be developed instead? or at least for once curse Oshomole for stealing or curse any governor that does not deliver...stupid as.s

Who stopped you from doing same?

Dumb azz

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 20, 2018
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Johnboom: 11:20am On Sep 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

Stop spewing bunkum.

A teacher that can't display any bronze artifact anywhere. All your ooni keeps gifting are sculpt on canvass.

Come to Benin and see street dedicated to bronze Caster and the families are more than 500yrs old.

BTW the last time I check there is still a chair dedicated to only the Oba of Benin which your King refer to as our fathers stool.
If it is only when I come to Benin is when you can established how great your king is ,then you need to have your fact checked. A man greatness is not in abundance of what he amassed but the life he touches. Several cashew plantation, empower money to the widow, of recent OonI gave million of naira and A car to best medical student in ABUAD. These and others are what show true great leader. No wonder prominent people across the globe are coming to Ooni place for one thing or the other. At least tell your king to empower those ladies in other to reduce ...you can complete it. At least Ooni is showing them how. Before what I hear is that "Oba no dey traveled " but when they see what Ooni is doing at least they changed that.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by TheKingIsHere: 11:20am On Sep 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
And Oba of Benin cannot curse corrupt politicians

Did anyone close your mouth from cursing the corrupt politicians?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 20, 2018
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by saaron(m): 11:21am On Sep 20, 2018
KendrickAyomide:
don't be ignorant. there is a limit to everything.. where are the Pastors to pray against fulani herdsmen rampaging the country
Where were you when Oyedepo rain curses on Terrorist after Benue and Plateau massacre?
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Obakuso: 11:27am On Sep 20, 2018
Hakeem12:
bullsh*t, people actually believed this? when are we ever going to shed our crude way of thinking as a nation.

And I'm not even surprised. When people don't even know curse and blessings don't work. Only cause and effect does.

We are teaching our children to worship God while other countries are teaching their children to be gods.
We teach our children to pray for smart phones and cars, while they teach theirs to invent smart phones and cars. Then our children become adults who go to church to thank God for smart phones and cars purchased from other countries whose children have become adults who invent cars and smart phones. That's why they don't need our God because without them our God can't bless us. It is the cars and smart phones they invent that we give testimony and thank our God for in our churches. Then we go about boasting that it was pastor's prayers and anointing that gave us these stuff.
We are teaching our kids that "A" is for "Apple" and they are teaching their kids how to turn apples into other products and how to impregnate apples to give birth to beautiful bubbles.
We are still teaching our kids the botanical names of plants while they are teaching their kids how to marry mango and orange to produce man-range. They are teaching their kids coding and programming in well equipped schools while we are teaching our kids how to prophecy and speak in tongues in well equipped churches.
Our children's school drama is about how to be a pastor or imam while theirs is about how to relocate to a new planet. They boast about conquering Mars, while we boast about hearing dreams and prophecies.
We choose our leaders based on tribe and religion while they choose theirs based on the solutions these leaders bring to the table.

We are poor yet look rich but they are rich yet look poor. We are doomed if we don't change our mindset.

It's so sad
You spend too much time talking about them. The African world needs proactive solutions that can only come from restructure. And magick is real all over the Earth, lot of business men use it to solve unconventional problems.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 20, 2018
Johnboom:
If it is only when I come to Benin is when you can established how great your king is ,then you need to have your fact checked. A man greatness is not in abundance of what he amassed but the life he touches. Several cashew plantation, empower money to the widow, of recent OonI gave million of naira and A car to best medical student in ABUAD. These and others are what show true great leader. No wonder prominent people across the globe are coming to Ooni place for one thing or the other. At least tell your king to empower those ladies in other to reduce ...you can complete it. At least Ooni is showing them how. Before what I hear is that "Oba no dey traveled " but when they see what Ooni is doing at least they changed that.
First of all, what in this post calls for yoruba comments ?
And second of all, as said in this article the Oba has done a very good job, no need for your ignorant advise !
Also, where you got this from "Oba no dey traveled " is beyond me.
The Oba of Benin has led troops into battle, he has travelled in the past and he will travel in the future, he just doesn't travel for futile things unlike your ooni. And for the importance of the Oba, it is underligned in the articled and also by the fact that every important country in ths world have a statue of at least one of his ancestors. Your ooni system isn't even heredetarry. the father of your current ooni is a nobody and he is still alive !
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by joshrare(m): 11:29am On Sep 20, 2018
vanbonattel:
Where's the oba to curse fulani herdsmen rampaging through Edo farms?

Omo n' oba did not curse herdsmen
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 20, 2018
joshrare:

Omo n' oba did not curse herdsmen
Idiot, the Oba cursed every evil doers in the ancient Benin Kingdom, that includes the herdsmen who attacked farms in the past and who are ravageing the entire nigerian state. Now get lost.
Also, it is Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Johnboom: 11:33am On Sep 20, 2018
prolog2:

First of all, what in this post calls for yoruba comments ?
A,d second of all, as said in this article the Oba has done a very good job, no need for your ignorant advise !
Also, where you got this from "Oba no dey traveled " is beyond me.
The Oba of Benin has led troops into battle, he has travelled in the past and he will travel in the future, he just doesn't travel for futile things unlike your ooni. And for the importance of the Oba, it is underligned in the articled and also by the fact that every important country in ths world have a statue of at least one of his ancestors. Your ooni system isn't even heredetarry. the father of your current ooni is a nobody and he is still alive !
Your inconsistent baffled me. Now you accept that your king can traveled. See what! A man that keep on shifting goal post is not worthy of a true man.
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 20, 2018
Johnboom:
Your inconsistent baffled me. Now you accept that your king can traveled. See what! A man that keep on shifting goal post is not worthy of a true man.
When did I ever claim that the King couldn't travel ? Are you ok in the head ?
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 20, 2018
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 20, 2018
Hakeem12:
bullsh*t, people actually believed this? when are we ever going to shed our crude way of thinking as a nation.

And I'm not even surprised. When people don't even know curse and blessings don't work. Only cause and effect does.

We are teaching our children to worship God while other countries are teaching their children to be gods.
We teach our children to pray for smart phones and cars, while they teach theirs to invent smart phones and cars. Then our children become adults who go to church to thank God for smart phones and cars purchased from other countries whose children have become adults who invent cars and smart phones. That's why they don't need our God because without them our God can't bless us. It is the cars and smart phones they invent that we give testimony and thank our God for in our churches. Then we go about boasting that it was pastor's prayers and anointing that gave us these stuff.
We are teaching our kids that "A" is for "Apple" and they are teaching their kids how to turn apples into other products and how to impregnate apples to give birth to beautiful bubbles.
We are still teaching our kids the botanical names of plants while they are teaching their kids how to marry mango and orange to produce man-range. They are teaching their kids coding and programming in well equipped schools while we are teaching our kids how to prophecy and speak in tongues in well equipped churches.
Our children's school drama is about how to be a pastor or imam while theirs is about how to relocate to a new planet. They boast about conquering Mars, while we boast about hearing dreams and prophecies.
We choose our leaders based on tribe and religion while they choose theirs based on the solutions these leaders bring to the table.

We are poor yet look rich but they are rich yet look poor. We are doomed if we don't change our mindset.

It's so sad
well said!
Re: Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters by Johnboom: 11:43am On Sep 20, 2018
prolog2:
When did I ever claim that the King couldn't travel ? Are you ok in the head ?
Whao, So you cannot engage in simple conversation without resulting into name calling. This shows your level of civilization. No wonder, we Yoruba shall always shine because our level of civilization is mile apart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Story About River Owan In Uhonmora, Edo State / Palace Raises Alarm Over Plan To Install Hausa Traditional Ruler In Benin / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.