Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,081 members, 7,953,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing (31575 Views)

Anthony Joshua Vs Kubrat Pulev: Heavyweight Boxing Fight On Dec. 12 In London / Dillian Whyte Vs Alexander Povetkin On Saturday August 22: Tale Of The Tape / Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by chetmann(m): 7:56am On Sep 21, 2018
PrecisionFx:

strength is number a before any other thing comes to play.

The Klitchkos r very strong, but during their reign there was really no top black boxers in those years (like Tyson AJ Ali, etc). That's why they thrived well. If they met Tyson or AJ, Dem for hear am.
he beat david hate,peters, Derek chisora, and countless others.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by chetmann(m): 8:03am On Sep 21, 2018
Eke40seven:

Although I don't want to go into the black Vs white bullshit, However it's not factual that blacks fall like dominoes in MMA. I assume you don't follow any MMA fight, you don't even know the current champions nor watched any. I hope you know that 3 of the 6 divisions champs in the UFC, the biggest MMA promotions are black, (the heavy weight, light heavy weight and welterweight)
Daniel Cornier, Jon Jones, Allistair Overeem, Tyrone Woodley, etc have held the division down for years..
There are many sports that are not popular amongst the black Population, they are not just into it, but when they have the opportunity to, they do well. Like in the William sisters in Tennis, although Tennis is not a "black sports". But Connor destroyed your precious none in seconds? And the greatest of all time gsp (st Pierre ) is white. Cody is white,khabib is white Connor is white .this dudes are falling blacks like dominoes,. The record ahead of Serena belongs to a white,the men category(nadak federer djokovic) white. The stand out guys in mma are whites,
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Eke40seven(m): 8:03am On Sep 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

There were no top black boxers because the Klischko brothers dominated. Stop making excuses!!!

If I went by your logic, then I should also say that blacks dominated boxing at a time when there were not top white boxers like Gerrie Coetzee, Quarry and Morrison and even the Klischko brothers.
Well, the Klitschko brothers were very good. Very exceptional but you must admit (except you are just a boxing casual) that HEAVYWEIGHT boxing dipped during their era... No standout star that could touch them. But look back before then, when the likes of Lennox Lewis, Evander Hollyfield, Bowes, etc.. do you know that Lewis actually destroyed the better of the Klitschko's (Vitali) was the UNDISPUTED champion (I hope you know what the means). Lewis couldn't get any viable challenger, he retired as the undisputed champion, that when the Klitschko brothers resurfaced, when Lewis retired after beating them and there was no competition.
However, today, HW boxing is back, this is the happiness amongst boxing affectionadoes, it's not still at the level of the mid 80s to the late 90 after all these great boxers were old and in decline, but there are many exciting talents now and the future is even more mouth watering, especially the British boxers.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by chetmann(m): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2018
Eke40seven:

Well, the Klitschko brothers were very good. Very exceptional but you must admit (except you are just a boxing casual) that HEAVYWEIGHT boxing dipped during their era... No standout star that could touch them. But look back before then, when the likes of Lennox Lewis, Evander Hollyfield, Bowes, etc.. do you know that Lewis actually destroyed the better of the Klitschko's (Vitali) was the UNDISPUTED champion (I hope you know what the means). Lewis couldn't get any viable challenger, he retired as the undisputed champion, that when the Klitschko brothers resurfaced, when Lewis retired after beating them and there was no competition.
However, today, HW boxing is back, this is the happiness amongst boxing affectionadoes, it's not still at the level of the mid 80s to the late 90 after all these great boxers were old and in decline, but there are many exciting talents now and the future is even more mouth watering, especially the British boxers.
Lewis didn't destroy klitchko, we suffered an eye cut and won on stats before the head butt.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by BluntBoy(m): 8:17am On Sep 21, 2018
Eke40seven:

I am not just an ardent lover of boxing but someone who has boxed before, albeit as an amateur. My father is also a boxing lover. We love the sport very much.

With that said, we must understand that boxing (like every sport) appears to lose quality over time in the sense that the boxers of the 80s seemed better than the boxers of this time. There was a time when the heavyweight category had fearless fighters like Ali, Foreman Frazier and then the young Tyson came along and then my favorite boxer of all time, Lennox Lewis. Can you compare today's fighters to any of those fighters I listed earlier?

So, we should not begrudge the Klischko brothers' their hard work. They were very good boxers and would still have survived if they came in the days of Tyson or earlier. They would only have needed to train harder to match the top contenders of those days. It is not like Ali boxed harder than them or that Ali was more defensive.

Vitali burst into the boxing scene when he fought Lennox Lewis and I remember very vividly how Vitali boxed. Lewis won only because he had managed to cut Vitali in the eye. People clamored for a rematch because they were sure that Vitali was capable of beating Lewis. The rematch never happened because Lewis retired and till today, people still think that it was Vitali that retired Lewis.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Eke40seven(m): 8:19am On Sep 21, 2018
[quote author=chetmann post=71385989][/quote]
I see you don't understand, you said blacks are not good in MMA, and I just made you know that 3 of the divisions are held by blacks, you can imagine the tiny black against the whole world. So they are holding down their own.. "blacks falling like a pack of dominoes" doesn't really cut it, anybody can beat anybody. Currently, Conor doesn't have any belts or does he.. MMA as we know it is a recent sports that started in the 90s, so having a greatest of all time in a sports that started promotion just 20 years ago is far fetched.
Secondly, Tennis is a sports which needs money to be able to play, it's like golf, you have to be rich or at least well to do to get in, except you were granted an opportunity on a platter. Tennis is a middle class sports, and many blacks don't have the opportunity to start early. To be good in Tennis, you must start early, once you are approaching 30, you MIGHT see your decline as the peak she is around early to mid 20s. For you to achieve this, you must start early.
It's not a white Vs black thing mostly, it's about opportunities sometimes.
See Nigeria for example, we can know how many kids could be great tennis, golf, judo, etc champion because they don't even have an opportunity to see a court until their teenage age. How do you want them to be good.
AJ in boxing was just exceptional, he started boxing at 18, and became an Olympic champion a few years later. For most other sports and average person, this isn't possible.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by brunobaba(m): 8:24am On Sep 21, 2018
Nightmareo07:
Hehehehe.. See them kpof -kpof he wan fight. grin
Joshua stop being a coward and accept Deontey fight, then I will RESPEK u grin

Nigga don't want his fine face messed up,
All those naija Ladies tripping will now be disgusted sighting him grin
His fight with Povetkin is mandatory,then he can challenge for the WBC title...learn to read before commenting.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 21, 2018
Is Deontey that is docking Joshua remember?

Deontey always come to the media to talk BS about Joshua without accepting to fight him in England where boxing is well known.

Joshua is the A side like Floy told Deontey.. he need to accept to fight Joshua like Tyson Fury did..although i know the dude is gonna knock Fury out though..

Nightmareo07:

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Eke40seven(m): 8:41am On Sep 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

I am not just an ardent lover of boxing but someone who has boxed before, albeit as an amateur. My father is also a boxing lover. We love the sport very much.

With that said, we must understand that boxing (like every sport) appears to lose quality over time in the sense that the boxers of the 80s seemed better than the boxers of this time. There was a time when the heavyweight category had fearless fighters like Ali, Foreman Frazier and then the young Tyson came along and then my favorite boxer of all time, Lennox Lewis. Can you compare today's fighters to any of those fighters I listed earlier?

So, we should not begrudge the Klischko brothers' their hard work. They were very good boxers and would still have survived if they came in the days of Tyson or earlier. They would only have needed to train harder to match the top contenders of those days. It is not like Ali boxed harder than them or that Ali was more defensive.

Vitali burst into the boxing scene when he fought Lennox Lewis and I remember very vividly how Vitali boxed. Lewis won only because he had managed to cut Vitali in the eye. People clamored for a rematch because they were sure that Vitali was capable of beating Lewis. The rematch never happened because Lewis retired and till today, people still think that it was Vitali that retired Lewis.

I remembered the fight too, but that's HW boxing. Unlike other divisions, one punch can change everything, they have more knockouts than any division. Takam was beating Chisora in every round until that punch landed. If Klitschko had continued, he would definitely had been beaten because of the injury and that's why the referee stopped it and counted it a TKO. I understand the whataboutism of the whole matter but that's it.. but understand that Lewis was already 38 when he was with the belt so his retirement didn't come as a surprise.

Also, the Klitschko brothers were already fighting when the great fighters of the late 90s were retiring... Not taking anything away from them though.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Starks: 8:43am On Sep 21, 2018
seeing their faces goosebumps catch me
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nightmareo07: 9:13am On Sep 21, 2018
anthonanik:

Is Deontey that is docking Joshua remember?

Deontey always come to the media to talk BS about Joshua without accepting to fight him in England where boxing is well known.

Joshua is the A side like Floy told Deontey.. he need to accept to fight Joshua like Tyson Fury did..although i know the dude is gonna knock Fury out though..

Get ur facts right..
Joshua is the one ducking the fight undecided
Everybody knows Joshua is the one ducking with excuses of boxing ground and money offer.
Google and u tube are ur friends.

Let him accept wilder fight and stop fight all this bag of fufu he is fighting.
Just look the mumu he is about to fight now, all this stats are against the guy. grin

Joshua should man up joor
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by robosky02(m): 9:35am On Sep 21, 2018
Mike tyson speaks about anthony joshua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXkQb7R5qAA
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 21, 2018
mexxmoney:

There is nothing they haven't offered Joshua to fight Wilder, they even accepted his terms on fight venue and purse, so what's Joshua running from? The truth is that Joshua's team felt he wasn't ready yet for Wilder and they decided it would be better to have at least one more fight before Wilder. And Wilder is the WBC heavyweight champion!! That's the most recognized belt in boxing, the same belt won by all the greats from Ali to Lennox lewis. Isn't it funny that Tyson fury came back after two years of inactivity and agreed to even travel to the US to face Wilder while Joshua keeps shifting the goalpost and giving excuses

Wrong...

Wilder didn't accept his terms on the purse. In fact, that was the main contention.

Wilder wanted a cut of the pay per view in terms of a percentage while Joshua's team offered him a $15 million flat cut based on three premises:

1. Joshua is a bigger name
2. Joshua is bringing more to the table. 3 belts
3. Joshua has a lot more to lose

Wilder felt belittled and didn't agree with that term.

But here's the point: both of them has a point to prove.

Now if you were Joshua, I doubt you wouldn't do same since Wilder is not even a mandatory challenger.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:19am On Sep 21, 2018
Nightmareo07:

Who told you Povetkin is Kpof Kpof. ? It's obvious you know nothing about boxing.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 21, 2018
tbaba1234:

Afraid how??

Who has Wilder fought? His best fight was against an old Ortiz and he lost every round before the stoppage.

Joshua with half as many fights has beaten Klitschko, Dillian Whyte, Breazeale, Parker, etc..

The issue is not fear, it is business/money.

Who has Wilder fought? How about AJ's former mandatory in Ortiz? He lost every round before tge stoppage? Did you not see the knock down in the 5th round? Your comment is very biased and misinformed. You're in ur own world
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 21, 2018
oshe11:
My analysis is based on his demeanor
AJ avoided Wilder in the most embarrassing way simple. He turned down 50million dollars too and his promotional team stated on record that they didn't want Wilder
Next. AJ's rep took an L when that happened
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

This is the excuse you people keep on making.

Who has AJ himself fought? An old inactive Klischko or a Parker who had just come off an elbow surgery?

It is not like Wilder was running away from big fights. It was his potential opponents that always ended up fucking up. When he should have fought Povetkin, Povetkin tested positive to drugs. When he should have initially fought Ortiz, Ortiz failed a drug test. Wilder has never run away from a fight.

I am not saying he will beat AJ but people should stop making it seem like the man is a coward. AJ may not be afraid of Wilder but it is evident that AJ's promoter (Hearn) is afraid.
You hit the nail on the head bro. Me n you should pass a blunt someday. Those AJ fanatics can't be helped!
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

This is the excuse you people keep on making.

Who has AJ himself fought? An old inactive Klischko or a Parker who had just come off an elbow surgery?

It is not like Wilder was running away from big fights. It was his potential opponents that always ended up fucking up. When he should have fought Povetkin, Povetkin tested positive to drugs. When he should have initially fought Ortiz, Ortiz failed a drug test. Wilder has never run away from a fight.

I am not saying he will beat AJ but people should stop making it seem like the man is a coward. AJ may not be afraid of Wilder but it is evident that AJ's promoter (Hearn) is afraid.
Parker's surgery made him 100% fit. The surgery result was released to scare AJ.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2018
chetmann:
Floyd was never the strongest boxer,he was just smart .Ali, ray Robinson had limited power but great technique. That's why core Africans(not African Americans) mess up in professional and armateur boxing because they lack skill and technique and are busy throwing hay makers to impress their Yoruba fans . I see that all the time on gotv fight night. Boxing is about timing,calculated offence, foot work and of course power and chin.
Which one is Yoruba fans again ? Useless tribalist.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:43am On Sep 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

There were no top black boxers because the Klischko brothers dominated. Stop making excuses!!!

If I went by your logic, then I should also say that blacks dominated boxing at a time when there were not top white boxers like Gerrie Coetzee, Quarry and Morrison and even the Klischko brothers.
Ali, Frazier, Foreman all defeated Jerry Quarry.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by zoedicus: 10:45am On Sep 21, 2018
It's your kind who go about online making others see Nigerians as dumbskulls....

Wilder ran from povetkin- fact.
Povetkin did not cheat -fact
He even won a court case for this - fact

Washed up you say? A guy whose only lose was against Wlad..and that was even contestable cos wlad cheated by roughhamdlind him....

Tell bumsquad to find his pen and sign.

#Aj

yeyerolling:
Aj vs wilder is what we want. Povetkin (pedvetkin) is a old washed up drug cheat ,no stamina gets KO in the 8th round. Aj stop ducking wilder
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by zoedicus: 10:47am On Sep 21, 2018
And you sound stupid.

Boxing matches don't get made on social media sir.

oshe11:
Joshua should go and fight Wilder....

He seems afraid
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2018
zoedicus:
It's your kind who go about online making others see Nigerians as dumbskulls....

Wilder ran from povetkin- fact.
Povetkin did not cheat -fact
He even won a court case for this - fact

Washed up you say? A guy whose only lose was against Wlad..and that was even contestable cos wlad cheated by roughhamdlind him....

Tell bumsquad to find his pen and sign.

#Aj

lol cock sukker
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:54am On Sep 21, 2018
Eke40seven:

The ref stopped Vitali Klistckho and Lewis fight because Vitali was bleeding heavily due to the devastating punch he received on his lower left-eye, but he was still fighting well and even when the fight was stopped, Vitali was leading on all the 3 scorecards and the fans booed Lewis. Vitali wanted a rematch but Lewis pulled out.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by oshe11: 10:57am On Sep 21, 2018
mrsirdam:
AJ avoided Wilder in the most embarrassing way simple. He turned down 50million dollars too and his promotional team stated on record that they didn't want Wilder
Next. AJ's rep took an L when that happened
Exactly my point.......

Dude doesnt wanna lose the title so soon
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by oshe11: 10:57am On Sep 21, 2018
zoedicus:
And you sound stupid.
Boxing matches don't get made on social media sir.
k
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by SirToby(m): 10:59am On Sep 21, 2018
Nightmareo07:

Get ur facts right..
Joshua is the one ducking the fight undecided
Everybody knows Joshua is the one ducking with excuses of boxing ground and money offer.
Google and u tube are ur friends.

Let him accept wilder fight and stop fight all this bag of fufu he is fighting.
Just look the mumu he is about to fight now, all this stats are against the guy. grin

Joshua should man up joor
The main reason you are AJ is because he's a yoruba man. Be sincere with yourself!! You are a known tribalist on Nairaland. I remember how you rubbished his victory against Klistckho the other time. Go and sleep joor

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by oshe11: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2018
Nightmareo07:

He is scared , that wider guy na beast. grin
As in ehn.....
AJ na sharp 9ja guy
He no wan losecheesy
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by Truth234(m): 11:09am On Sep 21, 2018
Nightmareo07:

He is afraid of wilder

You don't train, work as hard as this men to be afraid.

Its business, Wilder wants more money because it is a risky fight and doesn't draw a large crowd. Meaning without a championship belt Wilder is nobody. That was why one of his complains was rematch clause, no rematch for him if he lost. Just like Joseph Parker.

Again, Joshua is earning over 20 million a fight. He won't be earning 40 million facing his toughest fighter, yet Wilder will be earning 600 percent of his usual pay going by his highest pulse.

Its not easy to be risking 75 percent of the belts and yet require to overpay as A side. Mayweather won't do it and never did for Manny Pacquiao.

Sooner or later, Wilder will be forced to take the deal by his network if he still wants their backing. He fought just once this year couldn't see anyone worthy to fight because all reasonable fighters want big payday with AJ and not with Wilder that cannot fill 18000 arena.

He should just pray Fury fight go through or else na Wembly on April 13.
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by haryomikun(m): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2018
Benekruku:

His team not coming up with a good deal to face the champion. That's what it takes to be a champion.

And don't you think Wilder is another Mike Tyson, A beast with no stealth boxing tactics. Trust me, with an AJ, Wilder is a walk over. Stretch him till the end. A knock out wont happen for sure.
Hehehehehe. Abeg Tyson was a different beast compared to Wilder. Both of them no suppose dey the same sentence
Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing by haryomikun(m): 11:23am On Sep 21, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Pls bros lets leave fat Samuel Peters outta dis. I never said all blacks defeat all whites in all boxing matches.

"" rocky Marciano""

He's should be lucky that he was born 100 years ago. If he met Tyson, He would have been beaten pulp silly in 60 seconds.

Povetkin destroyed takam wen he was 35, at his prime.
Marciano had a very very good chin bro. Big Mike would have had a challenge if he faced Rocky

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sunday Oliseh Survives Bomb Explosion In Dortmund / Lionel Messi Flaunts His Man Of The Match Award After World Cup Heroics (Photos) / Senegal Vs Netherlands: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (0 - 2) On 21st November 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.