Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? (11881 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Rastamann: 12:55am On Jul 11, 2010
There is nothing wrong with making my wife my Next of Kin
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Echidime(m): 4:32am On Jul 11, 2010
Better to make your little son your next of kin,Don't trust any woman,she can kill you quikly and enjoy your wealth alone,while getting another lover to make her happy
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Cmeo(m): 6:23am On Jul 11, 2010
My candid advise for you is to use YOUR WIFE as the next of kin:

Reason: If you use your child, your family will always claim your son to be part of them and will want the heir to themselves. But your wife wont like seeing her child suffering (if only see remember the pains she passed through for 9 months and beyond). Even if she has a new husband, her child will always remain her child unlike family that will claim the heir for the child, send your wife away and leave the child to suffer. So think twice.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nwaka77: 8:30am On Jul 11, 2010
Echidime:

Better to make your little son your next of kin,Don't trust any woman,she can kill you quikly and enjoy your wealth alone,while getting another lover to make her happy

I guess your father did not trust your mother either. Why marry someone you don't trust? Why don't you just become gay since women are so terrible? I will NEVER advise any loved one to marry a naija man including my own kids. You people are horrible and I trully feel sorry for the women stuck in naija and thereby have no other choice but to marry your kind. Thank God I don't live in naija. You people are wicked there and it is no wonder the country can never progress with the kind of mindset you people have. Sad, really sad.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by chimanu2000(m): 9:25am On Jul 11, 2010
Your kid does not have any legally enforceable rights at his age.Your wife should be next of kin or legal guardian for the child until he comes of age as next of kin
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by dayokanu(m): 9:45am On Jul 11, 2010
Chibuzor, Up Deutschland
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 11, 2010
Nwaka77:

I guess your father did not trust your mother either. Why marry someone you don't trust? Why don't you just become gay since women are so terrible? I will NEVER advise any loved one to marry a naija man including my own kids. You people are horrible and I trully feel sorry for the women stuck in naija and thereby have no other choice but to marry your kind. Thank God I don't live in naija. You people are wicked there and it is no wonder the country can never progress with the kind of mindset you people have. Sad, really sad.

And i guess  ur Father and Mother are Not 'Nigerians' or 'Horrible people' as stressed in ur post.U can go ahead and marry all ur kids to those complicated and despicable fools u call 'ur kind' for all i care.They have d highest divorce rates dan 'our kinds' and we are proud of our origin.

At OP
In my opinion,if u truly love ur wife,den there is no cause for alarm making her the NOK or BOF.But if u have trust issues,MY GUY!!!!! SHINE UR EYES OOOOOO

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Bongoman1: 10:24am On Jul 11, 2010
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by oge4real(f): 1:23pm On Jul 11, 2010
No it is not proper. Your wife is your next of kin.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by chelseabmw(m): 2:16pm On Jul 11, 2010
wink
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by erico2k2(m): 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2010
I have read fru all of this post with great disbelief,in my conclusion some people simply don't know what the word NEXT of KIN means or rather the don't even know why we have em  and what they are meant to do,Now some people quickly jump into financial connection and inheritance once the word NEXT OF KIN Comes up No  it ain't all about that,to be honest Next of Kin carries a huge legal responsibility which means its diffrent from BENEFICIARY,
now to OP, plz make your wife your next of KIN,cos she would be the first point of contact if anything happens to you,I don't mean death though   lol
Now for those of you saying he should make the Son NEXT OF KIN, if Op  meet with an accident  and they need a NEXT of Kin to sign B4 a life saving OP could be carried out, are you guys telling me the Son is legally able to sign? now I'll leave you to answer that.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by ZE: 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2010
To before warned is to before armed,

I said earlier in this forum, a friend of mine married one URHOBO girl(Onome). The young man was innocently busy in the office when his so called wife
packed all his properties and moved to another mans house(a guy she has probably been dating secretly for a long time)----people should not take this personal pleaseeeee, i'm just saying the fact. Imagine what would have happened if his wife was the custodian of all his wealth and assets. she would have poisoned him and claim his assets before leaving.

Remember what happened to Nelson Mandela when he was in prison.

Your wife can be your next of kin or custodian of funds if you trust her inside-out(not blind trust this time). If the poster truly trust his wife so much
he would not have been in dilemma therefore this post wouldn't have been necessary.

@poster, please use your discretion.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2010
i am wondering. . . . . . . . . would all the people quick to put their kid SON as next of kin would do the same if it was a DAUGHTER?!
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by pek(m): 4:38pm On Jul 11, 2010
why does this post irritate me?
maybe its because something doesn't add up.
you love your wife, you dont want to discuss this with her and your baby is less than two. if you change the will, what service are you doing to the child in case of your sudden demise. your wife who you claim to love will be out there in the cold and saddled with the child who has an inheritance he cannot inherit. WISE UP!
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by erico2k2(m): 4:43pm On Jul 11, 2010
@ZE
yeh you are right there, so Im not taking this personaly lol anyway, if one is married and has a child and pass on, whom do you preffer to have the lump left over sum, the wife or or extended family?
@Mr brown jay
what has Gender got to do with it, a child is a child abi?legally man and woman are thesame for the purpose of NEX of KIN.
@ Pek,let me answer your question, this is a max exhibition of the state of mind of most nigerians who live in Nigeria and try to attain the self status of middleclass citizens.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2010
Na who come trust hin wife or a woman? Hahahaahah
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by erico2k2(m): 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2010
ferdiii:

Na who come trust hin wife or a woman? Hahahaahah
i tire oh guy, grin
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by coolier(f): 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2010
Yes.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by edujoy(m): 5:43pm On Jul 11, 2010
there is nothing wrong with your wife being next of kin, as far as am concerned
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by ZE: 5:44pm On Jul 11, 2010
@erico.
It depends on the wife and the extended family.

If the guys parents are still alive and healthy there is nothing bad in sharing the assets between the wife and the guy's parents.

What if you leave all the assets with the wife and she remarries a year after your demise(God forbid) and the new husband takes over your assets and refuse to take proper care of your kid.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 11, 2010
edujoy:

there is nothing wrong with your wife being next of kin, as far as am concerned

some once they released it, you are down to 6ft vice versa. The men do like that mainly in the US. But many men marry solely for sex and to have children, don't believe or trust the wives. So how comes the NOK thing will be anything different.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2010
erico2k2:

@Mr brown jay
what has Gender got to do with it, a child is a child abi?legally man and woman are thesame for the purpose of NEX of KIN.

everybody seems to be talking about sons rather than saying "child". so i am wondering if its because they are simply comparing with the poster's story or making a statement here?

we all know how africans value sons more highly than than daughters.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by erico2k2(m): 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

everybody seems to be talking about sons rather than saying "child". so i am wondering if its because they are simply comparing with the poster's story or making a statement here?

we all know how africans value sons more highly than than daughters.
lol Ok, i get where you are comming from now. grin
@ZE,
I totaly understand where you are comming froma s well, but look at it this way whom would you rather trust with the total upbring of ur kids if U aint here no more, ur folks or ur wife?come to think of it,No matter what the family wanna do for ur child,if the wif says no,there aint nothing they can do about it,No court will support the family,the onus lies on the wife first to say what goes on in the life of the child.
Anyway back to Topic appart from Inheritance what elss do yah all think we need next of Kin for?
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by DisGuy: 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2010
erico2k2:

lol Ok, i get where you are comming from now. grin
@ZE,
I totaly understand where you are comming froma s well, but look at it this way whom would you rather trust with the total upbring of your kids if U aint here no more, your folks or your wife?come to think of it,No matter what the family wanna do for your child,if the wif says no,there aint nothing they can do about it,No court will support the family,the onus lies on the wife first to say what goes on in the life of the child.
Anyway back to Topic appart from Inheritance what elss do yah all think we need next of Kin for?

if you are at work and you suddenly develop a breathing problem, who will the nurse or colleague call to ask about any medication you are taking? your 2 year old son in nursery or you parent back in the village 7000miles away

I think the thread says a lot about Nigerian culture and marriage!!

its almost as if them men are pissed about the high bride price they initially had to pay from their goods wife
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by keeptrying: 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2010
I read some of the replies and i was very furious.how can a guy's parent be his next of kin? African women are still been marginalized and degraded. It is time all african women rise up and figth for their right. Is it not possible for a woman to have more assest than the man in nigeria. Is their no law backing the institition of marriage in nigeria. so african man that is even doubting who should be his beneficiary concerning his assest will never think of buying any life insurance for himself and make the wife his beneficiary .This is ridiculous shocked. If my husband divource me i am automatically entitled to almost half of his assest and if he dies i am entitled to all our assests including a life insurance and vise versa, that is U.S for you.That is the way it should be.Problem with our country is poverty,culture and lawlessness.In a country where a man can have more than one woman at home what did you expect. institution of marriage is not respected and women are regarded has a machine that produce children.
Poster use your wife has a beneficiary grin
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by erico2k2(m): 7:53pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Keeptrying
This is what the mentaliy is in Nigeria
@Dis Guy
Thank you my brother lol
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 11, 2010
keeptrying:

I read some of the replies and i was very furious.how can a guy's parent be his next of kin? African women are still been marginalized and degraded. It is time all african women rise up and figth for their right. Is it not possible for a woman to have more assest than the man in nigeria. Is their no law backing the institition of marriage in nigeria. so african man that is even doubting who should be his beneficiary concerning his assest will never think of  buying any life insurance for himself and make the wife his beneficiary .This is ridiculous  shocked. If my husband divource me i am automatically entitled to almost half of his assest and if he dies i am entitled to all our assests including a life insurance and vise versa, that is U.S for you.That is the way it should be.Problem with our country is poverty,culture and lawlessness.In a country where a man can have more than one woman at home what did you expect. institution of marriage is not respected and women are regarded has a machine that produce children.
Poster use your wife has a beneficiary  grin

i think it has simply to do with millions of people marrying for the wrong reasons in 9ja. anyone who marries out of LOVE wouldnt care about what their spouse does AFTER they pass away because they would know that she/he will do RIGHT for their kids with whatever inheritance etc the spouse may get.

what we read here says a lot about the state of marriage in 9ja. almost like people are sleeping with only one eye closed all the time, fearing harm from their own spouse,while pretending to the whole world that they are happy!!!!
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Remii(m): 8:21pm On Jul 11, 2010
^^^^ Why do people always write as if Nigeria is so strange from other part of the world, if your wife has express right over all things left behind, why do people write will, or did Will writing originate from Nigeria?
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2010
^^^^the difference with 9ja and any civilized other country is that people go by LAWS which are in place to protect each and every individuals so a married man would only need a will if he had doubts over his partner caring for his estate, wants his estate to be handled by someone else or simply have a system in place that will make sure that his hard work isnt spent recklessly.
by the answers on NL, we can clearly see that the only reason some people would rather have their child as next of kin is because of lack of trust towards their spouse,which can happen all over the world (but seems to be the name of the game here)
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by bawomolo(m): 5:40am On Jul 12, 2010

someone seems to have a lot of pent up anger. distrust of spouses isn't exclusive to Naija men by the way.
goodluck finding your mr.perfect.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by MackDealer: 5:47am On Jul 12, 2010
The problem here is most pple still lack the proper understanding of the great institution called marriage. If you have a problem making your wife your next of kin, then both of you shouldn't have been married in the first place or u might as well get a divorce now. Whatever you have as a man also and equally belong to your wife, why is she not a documented co-owner of your wealth or properties to begin with, if that is not the case, then something is not right with the relationship to begin with. Why should a man have properties with just his name on the documents if you're happily married.
The problem of in-laws trying to take over when the man is gone just don't start when the man is gone, it starts when u're still around and u don't set clear and firm boundaries with your EXTENDED family that u now have a NUCLEAR family and that ur wife and children come first. The way you treat ur spouse and children when u're still around is the way your relalives will treat them when u're gone and it goes both ways.
Why do some men seem to have problem with their wives remarrying, won't most of you remarry if she dies b4 u and if she was the wealthier one and u are the beneficiary won't you spend the money with another woman lounging on the beach, enjoying the sun. If a man truly loves his wife and vice versa, he shouldn't have problem with her remarrying, how can u expect her to still be married to u if you're dead, life continues the paramount thing is her taking care of the children and helping ur family members as need arises. And if u truly married the right woman, then that shouldn't be a problem.
Most men marry becos they want children, go impregnate any woman on the street, take the child and ur mom might help
Most men marry becos of cooking, hire a cook
Most men marry becos they need someone to do their laundry, try the cleaners, washer and dryer or hire a wash man/woman
Most marry becos of societal pressure, remember only fools rush into it
Most marry 4 someone to take care of their children, hire a nanny
Remember a child shouldn't be making life changing decisions such as putting one on a life support or not, ur siblings has or will have his or her own family to worry about, ur parents have lived their lives so let them be and children should be taught how to fish, not just thrown the fish at will

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Machine007: 9:18am On Jul 12, 2010
NO HOW CAN YOU MAKE YOUR WIFE YOUR NEXT OF KIN WHILE YOUR GIRL FRIEND IS THERE,

THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO MAKE YOUR GIRL FRIEND YOUR NEXT OF KIN.

OLO SHI.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Perfection - The Wonderful Life of A Good (naija) Wife / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.