Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,320 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

The Last Insurgent - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Insurgent (27054 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 10:19am On Oct 01, 2018
SEVEN

The driver covered his heard with a turban, enjoying a Sudanese song, shaking his head. Next to him was a stern looking man holding a rifle. By the first door was a gunman while another gunman mounted the second door. They all wore turbans and military jackets over caftans.
There were about two one hundred and fifty girls in the car. Behind the luxury bus was a Toyota Hilux truck with heavily armed men.
Among these girls was Leena. She sat next to a chubby, swarthy girl. Leena had run out of tears. Even in captivity, she felt more at ease with Mufty.

She wondered how he would have felt if he came back to meet her gone. That was if he would come back alive.
Where were they taking them to? She had no idea of where they were. All she saw was a desert, the bus raising heavy dust. They had being driving for hours.

“I have a child.” The girl sitting next to her said in a little above whisper as if talking to her herself. It was the first time she would speak with Leena.

“Where?”

“I don’t know where he is.” She said. “I had gone out with him that they when they attacked. He was just three years old. They came and started shooting. They killed some people. I held on to my son. I was a widow. I lost. my husband just a few months after our wedding.
They abducted some of us and one of them seized my son and kicked me. I was shouting, wailing and begged them to leave him with me. They agreed and I had him with me. They took us to the camp and …they took my child away.” She was now sobbing. “ I never saw him again. He was looking at me, shouting and calling me, mama. Mama, mama, mama. I tried to go after him but was pinned down. I watched them take him away. I can still see the look in his eyes.”

“Oh my God.” Leena’s eyes became wet. “When was this?”

“Three months ago. I know he is alive. I feel him but what I don’t know is…if I will ever see him again.”

“You will insha Allah.”

“Ameen. My name is Aisha.”

“I am Leena.”

“I used to see you in the camp. I thought they married you off to Iceman.”

“Iceman?”

“Mufty. That is what they call him.…behind him though. He is cold. He has no friend, no sense of humour and has never being seen laughing. Rumours has it that he has never being seen smiling.”

It was at that time Leena realised that it was true. She stayed with him for three weeks and he never smiled for once.

“I don’t know why. But the Amir did not bless our union.”

“We heard that. The man they called my husband was killed by the military.”

“Good for him. Did you say you heard?”

“Rumours and gossip cannot be obliterated even if it was in a camp like ours. I hope you are not pregnant.”

“No.”

Aisha hesitated.

“We thought he was going to wake up one day and just shoot you. Even the men fear him. They say that is all he does: kill.”

“I don’t know what to say about him. He is a difficult person to understand but….I would have preferred staying with him. At least I was with him for three weeks but I don’t know what lies ahead now.”

“We don’t know what lies ahead.”

“I was supposed to get married today.”

“Ohhh my God.”

Leena felt like crying again as she pictured Adam.

“I was abducted just three weeks to my wedding.”

“What are you two planning?” The man that was by the first door said as he appeared before them suddenly.

“Nothing.” Leena said.

“Better.” He said. “Okay ladies, we are just a few minutes to our first port of call. We all need you to behave. “I hope you girls don’t have phobia for water because you will be transported via canoes. Don’t be scared, it will be just ten in each canoe.”

Oh my God! Leena feared. Where were they taking them to? Who would come and save them? Why?

Mufty watched Jahl walking towards his cabin where he had about twelve wives. He said only four where his wives and the rest were his slaves.
Mufty rubbed his jaw absentmindedly while his eyes became thinner. His teeth grinded and this only happen when he was getting into his dangerous mode.

He saw him giving orders to the driver who was going to deliver provisions to a minicamp a few kilometres away from them.
Very good, Mufty thought. He ran back into the darkness and broke into a run. The time has come.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 10:27am On Oct 01, 2018
It was now very dark and frosty. The wind moved the saturated cloud smoothly, obstructing the rays from the moon, except for the flashing of the lightening that emerged within intervals.
Mangal had watched the cabin for almost one hour, and saw no sign of life. It seemed there was nobody there as he had anticipated.

“Let me go and check the place out.” He whispered.

“I can’t stay here alone.”

“Okay, come with me.”

He did not put on the flashlight, but firmly held the gun. They snuck towards the cabin. It was not locked. He hesitated before he pushed the wooden door open.
They went into the room before he put on the flashlight.

“Good.” He said at once as he saw groceries.

He began to pack them into a sack randomly. She helped him. They worked so fast without a word.
He sent a beam of light round the room. He was not surprised to see a camping tent. It was folded.

“We must leave. I think we have enough. I hope we should be back home by tomorrow.” He said.

She felt a wind of bliss hit her as she thought of her children and husband. She could not wait to see them again.

“It seems they left in a hurry.” She said.

“Shhh….” He said at once and put off the flashlight. “I heard something.”

She listened.

“It sounds like the sound of a bike.” She said.

“It is!” He said. “Let us leave here, fast!”

He carried the sack while she carried the pack of camping tent. They ran out of the cabin. They had barely left when strong beams of light emerged coupled with roaring of bike engines.

They knew there was no chance of leaving at that moment.

“Come here.”

They hid behind thick shrubs.
Three bikes appeared with two men on each. The men seemed to be armed. Mangal could not recognize any of them but guessed they were Sabr’s men.

“Check the cabin!” One of them said, “the police may come at any time.”

“We cannot leave any exhibit.” Another man said and three of them rushed into the cabin.

They came out just five minutes later.

“Someone was here.” One of the man said. “A tent and some provisions are missing.”

“That means…they are close-by. We might find them if we try.”

Beeba began to shiver. She knew if these men saw them, it was going to be the end for them.

“We do not have the time.” Another man said.

“I don’t think they called the police. This is the only place with service.”

“That reminds me, did you remove the service enhancer?”

“I will go for it.” Another man said.

“Disassemble it and tugged it out. This place is not safe anymore.”

“Let us look for them. Even if they call the police, it would be difficult to locate this place.”

Beeba was now shaking more than ever.

“We don’t need them. Mallam is still negotiating with her husband. He does not know that they escaped. We may get the money.”
Mangal saw one of the men going to disassemble the so-called service enhancer.
He quickly turned, using his bogy to obscure the light of the phone, before he wrote a text: I escaped. I am still lost. Don’t pay them.

“Send it to your husband.”

It was after she sent it she felt something cold on her legs. She looked down and saw it. It was a snake.

She screamed.

Mangal who saw it did something very brave. He grabbed the snake by the neck and knew it could do no harm at that point.
But the screaming had attracted the criminals.
Mangal flung the snake away, fired a shot and shouted, “Stay right there! It is the police.”

Mangal knew he had to act fast but not before bullets were sent to them. He grabbed Beeba and pushed her down and they rolled on the grass.
That move saved her life.

Bang! Bang!

Mangal fired more shots and he knew he got one of them.

The criminals were confused. Was it really the police? If it was, then they would be a bunch of them. They could not risk it. They made sure they carried the man who was shot. They mounted their bikes and escaped.

Mangal and Beeba did not waste a single second. They got up, ran to where Mangal hid the bike, put the sack in front of him, while she held the camping tent and they mounted the bike.

As the criminals ran away, so did Mangal and Beeba.

They had ridden for about forty minutes when the rain began to threaten them.

“We have to stop here. There is more space here.”

He had to fix the tent quickly. It was so small and not very comfortable for two people.
It began to rain so they ran inside with the sack . It was only when they got inside he realise what was happened.

“Oh my God! What is wrong with you?”

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by Sensitivity1254: 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2018
]Nominate SokoDobo for October 5K Award.

https://www.nairaland.com/4762830/nomination-october-5k-awards[/quote]
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2018
“Masha Allah!” A man in turban said. “The goods have arrived.” He was smiling as he saw the girls alighting from the bus. “ Beautiful girls saved from a dirty world.”

He was standing akimbo, and behind him was a river. There were so many canoes by the bank of the river with armed men in turbans.
The driver met him and shook his hand.

“Comrade Jalal. Peace be upon you.” Said the driver. “Greetings from the Lion.”

Jalal smiled.

“How is he doing? I have not been to your camp in a while. We have been busy taken care of Adamawa.”

“God’s work is not easy.” The driver said. “He is fine. At least none of his wives is complaining.”

Jalal laughed.

“Twelve wives! That is too much. I can’t do that.”

“Really? How many do you have?”

“Just eight.”

The driver laughed.

“Okay, move them quickly!” Said the driver. “ Ten to a canoe.”

Some of the insurgents held flashlights. Two men came out each holding a cat o’nine tails, and began to shout, using whips to drive the girls like cattle.

“Move it! Move it!” One of the men holding a whip said. When he felt he was not satisfied with the speed at which they moved, he began to use the cat o’nine tails to whip them.

The girls became frenzied, and began to run, while some of them fell to the ground, screaming and crying.

“Now get into the canoes. Ten in a canoe!”

The girls began to get into the canoe randomly. Some of them had phobia for river but the whips got them flummoxed. So they kept running into the canoes, not bothering to count.
The insurgents would now count them. If they were more than ten, they would start whipping them and the excess would be chased out.

Leena just got a whip, she screamed and fell into a canoe. The paddler smiled and then tried to touch her bosom. She used her hands to cover her chest.

He frowned.

“Sit down, idiot! You allow those infidels to touch you but you are running away from holy hands.”

She was crying just like most of the girls. Some of these girls were not Muslims, but abducted and forced to pronounce Islam.
These people were not representing Islam. They were only using Islam as an excuse to satisfy themselves. There was no compulsion in religion, so says the Qur'an. This was no religion. It was sheer terrorism.

The canoes began to sail. Each canoe had three insurgents. While two paddled, one held a gun.
The man who had tried to touch Leena looked at her, and them grinned.
He stopped paddling, asked the man holding a gun to take over before he moved and sat close to Leena.
The moon helped illuminate the see but the views were not very clear.

“Do you know who I am?” He asked.

She shook her head.

“I am offering you a chance to be happy. Do you know where we are taking you to?” He was speaking a low tone.

“No.”

“A land of no return is your final destination. I can help you if you marry me.”

“I don’t want to marry you.”

“Okay, let us observe nikah mut’ah. You will be in Harabal kusum for three days. We should be together for three days. I will pay you dowry.”

“It has been abolished since the time of the Holy prophet SAW.”

“Shut up! What do you know about Islam? It seems you are not ready to live and you know what? It is very easy to get rid of you. All I need to do say is you tried to hit me and escape….”

He did so swiftly. He grabbed her by the neck, pulled her up and flung her into the river.

Leena could not swim. She screamed, shouted for help before she began to drown.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2018
Jahl was on bed with one of two of his wives when he received the call. The provisions did not arrive and the men sent could not be reached on phone.
Jahl became suspicious. What was wrong? He tried to call two of the security men set to watch the route but failed.
He quickly wore his clothes and went out. He had not known that Kacha was dead and none of his wives would bother to report him missing since they never liked him.
Jahl walked briskly to Mufty’s cabin and knocked hard on the door.

Mufty opened the door and yawned.

“Are you asleep already?” Jahl asked.

“Not really.” Mufty replied and knew the question was a trap. Jahl knew he was not sleeping and he seemed astonished that Mufty was inside his cabin.
How could he have known that Mufty had attacked the men, killed them and had the truck hidden somewhere. He had also taken care of the security men. But he had no time to bury them so he just dumped their bodies down a cliff.
It may take a while before they were found but it would be better if he got the chance later on to bury them.

“ Gumbari and Kelani did not arrive. Not even the guards are picking their calls. I am afraid something is fishy.”

“I doubt if anyone would have the guts to come to the forest and attack.”

“We don’t know about that yet. We are going to check.”

“Check? We can only trace their tracks but the forest is a world on its own.”

“I was born before you and know the forest more than you do. I meant trace their tracks and see. I will send you and Babayo. If you don’t find anything in thirty minutes, call me. We will need a serious check.”

Just a few minutes after Babayo and Mufty left, Babayo’s body was lying in a deep valley. Mufty now threw the bike away and ran to where he hid the truck. He got under the wheel, started the car engine and sent it down the winding road.
He knew he had no much time. He had to get to them before he missed her. He had to save Leena. Unknown to him, Leena was drowning at that moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 3:12pm On Oct 02, 2018
EIGHT

Beeba had fallen ill and the next day was spent trying to get her recuperated. There was no phone service so they could not make any call.
Mangal made food from the provisions they randomly packed. There was dried fish, fried meat, noodles, garri, sugar and bread. So all they had to cook was noodles.
It seemed it was a fever because she had a high temperature, headache and internal cold.
There was no blanket so Mangal had to fetch some burning charcoal and heat the tent.
He also fetched some leaves from a nim tree and cooked it.
It was bitter and he knew women hated medications but he cajoled her to take it because she had to be strong to see her husband and children again.
They spent two days before she was able to get on her feet. Now, they had no direction.
Mangal said they had no choice other than to take the road they saw the criminals take. It was a big risk but that seemed to be the only way out.
They embarked on their journey home. But at a point, they ran out of gasoline and the bike stopped.
This happened to be a new phase of suffering for them. They had run out of food. Beeba sat on the bike while Mangal pushed it.

This was how they moved through out that day. They would rest at some points. They were very glad to find a mango tree with plenty ripe mangoes.
They plugged so many, took some and had extra. When it became dark, the camped.
It was the next day they got to a point where Mangal tried the phone.
Bingo!
There was service.
She called her husband and the police were alerted and described where they were. Mangal recognised the place. It was close to a road that led to Albasu.

A team of armed policemen arrived in no time to pick them. They were taken to the police headquarters to make a formal report and briefing.
When Isa saw his wife, he became emotional. They hugged each other and Beeba also cried. But he was very happy.
They left the police station after about two hours. Isa took his wife away while Mangal went home. Immediately he arrived home, he had a bath and went to the hospital.

He was disheartened to see his mother’s worsening condition. She could barely talk but her weak eyes showed some glimpse as she saw him. She had forced a smile and he got emotional.
He resumed work two days later which happened to be the same day Beeba resumed.
They had only talked on phone once since their escape. Immediately he arrived office, he was told that the GM wanted him.
He saw Beeba going into the office. He followed her and saw the GM sitting majestically behind his desk.

“Good morning, Sir.” Mangal heard Beeba say before he also said, “good morning, sir.”

“Good morning.” He replied.

“I was told about your alleged kidnap.” Bala began. “In fact, your husband had to come to my house and harass me. I don’t know why I should be harassed after the reproaches I got from above.
I could not have a corrected version of the audit report, one of our cars was missing, as you guys claimed you were kidnapped, but found with a camping tent on a bike, after three days you called to say you have escaped. But that is not my personal problem. It is a free world. I am not falsifying your statements but I am not saying it adds up. I am talking about the days and nights you spent together in the tent in the jungle. I am talking about our missing car and failure to get the corrected version before you got kidnapped.
Well, we decided not to bring the law. The management have decided to let go but have completely lost confidence in you.
The management have therefore ordered me to terminate your appointments with immediate effect but I begged them to give you your full wage for this month . Here are you letters.”

Mangal felt as if he was hit with a sledge hammer. The image of his mother kept popping up. He also thought of Hauwa, his fiancée. His wedding arrangements had been thwarted since his mother’s illness became more serious.

“Please Sir. We all know that kidnapping is prevalent these days. We would not do anything to harm ….”

“There is nothing I can do about this. I am sorry. I wish I could help.”

Beeba knew it was a chance Bala had been looking for. It was his entire plan. She knew there was nothing they could do.

“This is what you have been looking for.” She said. “Just because I did not let you have what you wanted.”

“Please leave before I call the security. You will receive an alert. Thank you very much.”

“You will catch up with nemesis.”

“Please leave.”

That was how they were both fired. Three days later, Mangal went to the hospital and found his mother gasping. That was the last day she lived. She died at night.
That was the most tragic moment of his life. She was the only one he had. He cried until he fell sick.
One week later, while he was at home, Hauwa came to see him. She had been supportive when his mother died.
She was a very slim girl , swarthy and not bad looking.

“I hope you are not starving yourself.” She had said.

“I eat.”

After a few words, she said, “Mangal, I have wanted to tell you this for a while.”

“Okay.”

“You know I have being patient even when you kept saying we had to put aside the wedding plan due to your mother’s health issues. I knew you were right. And now, you said you have lost your job. I sincerely sympathise with you but I cannot allow your destiny to affect mine. I am sorry but we have to take a break. In fact, I have started seeing someone else and he is very serious. I did not want you to hear it from my parent but I feel you will be called to give you back your dowry.”

Mangal was dejected, frustrated and felt there was nothing more for him to live for. He was lucky that the small house he lived in was what he had inherited from his late father.
It was three months since he lost his job and he had run out of money. He had been trying to get a job to no avail.
He felt lonely, sad and scared of falling into depression. On that fateful day, he had come back after spending the whole day searching for a job when he heard the sound of a car pull up in front of his house. He peeped. It was Beeba. He had not seen her for three months. She was elegantly dressed and he noticed that she looked better than the last time he had seen her.
He was just dressed in shorts. He quickly got up and wore his jeans. As he tried to put on his shirt, she knocked at the door.

“Just a moment.” He said and wore the shirt quickly. He went to the door and opened it.

“Hajiya Beeba, what a pleasant surprise.”

She smiled.

“What happened to your line? I have been trying your number.”

He smiled, hesitated before he said, “I lost my phone.”
But that was a lie. He sold it.
She went into his poorly furnished and small living-room. The sofa was cheap but beautiful.

“I thought as much. How have you been doing?”

“Glory be to God. How did you locate this place?”

“Have you forgotten that me and Abu Haneef came here when your mother passed away?”

“Oh, that is true. I was not myself then.”

“I know right.”

“Please sit down.”

She sat on a sofa.

“How are Alhaji and the kids?’

“They are good. ABu Haneef Just lost a milk teeth today so when he smiles, you see the big gap in front.”

He chuckled.

“And you are making jest of him.”

“He deserves it. He used to laugh at my grandfather who lost his teeth since before I was born.”

“Your grandfather is still alive?”

She nodded.

“He is alive and still walks by himself.”

“Whoa! You are lucky.”

“Masha Allah. I could not let you know that I got a job with Greenland Oil Company. Abu Haneef’s friend helped me out.”

“Alhamdulillah! That is great. I mean you stepped up. That is a quantum leap.”

“It is indeed and apart from the good salary, the working environment is serene. There is no one harassing me. What do you do now?”

He took in a deep breath.

“Still in labour market. I wrote seven applications last month. I have not been called yet but I am still trying other places. You know how it is to get a job these days , especially when you have got no one upstairs.”

She felt sad about this.

“Oh my dear. I am so sorry about that. It is so sad because you have a good CV.”

“Nepotism determines CV except if you are exceptionally lucky.”

“I know right. Abu Haneef said those of us who applied were nine thousand and only twelve were picked.”

“What? Your husband’s friend must be very strong.”

“He is a personnel manager there.”

“I grab. Congratulations.”

“Thank you. It must be hard for you.”

“It is a phase of life. At least my only responsibility is me. There are people in such situations that have families to take care of. What if this had
happened when Mama was alive? How could I have taken care of her hospital bills?”

“May her soul rest in peace.”

“Ameen.”

“I was on my way home. I just felt I should check on you. You must have a new phone. You can’t be in the labour market without a phone. How
would they contact you?”

“That is true. I used to put my SIM card in a friends phone after every two days to check my messages.”

“What if the call is an emergency? Like they call you for an interview the next day?”

He nodded. He was so hungry that day he made feeding the top on priority list.

“Have this.” She gave him an envelope. “I think I still have your number. Thank you for saving my life.”

It was after she left he opened the envelope. It as a bundle of one thousand naira notes.

One hundred thousand naira!
He went out immediately and went to Maman Gambo’s shop.
She was a grocer. She frowned immediately she saw him.

“Maman Gambo.”

“Hmmm.” She answered with a stern expression.

“Do you have noodles and eggs?”

“I can’t sell on credit again Mangal. You owe me eight hundred and sixty-five naira.”

He smiled.

“I know. I am not here to buy on credit. I am here to pay you.” He gave her one thousand naira.

She smiled.

“Thank you. I hope you understand how it is. Things are hard these days. Baba Gambo…..”

“I need a carton of noodles”

“Which type?”

“Indomie. The super pack and one crate of egg…..” He spent ten thousand naira on food. He also went and refilled his gas. Food was the top in the scale of preference.

The next day, he went to buy a fairly used Samsung S6 phone. He called Beeba to thank her and told her that he had gotten a phone.
But he still could not get a job. Looking for a job could be expensive. He had to keep updated online, spent on transportation, and many more.

Then the call came…….

The call was from Beeba. She needed to see him urgently in her office. He did not ask what it was. He boarded a cab and went there immediately.
He was directed to her new office and he knew at once she had really stepped up.

“ I am sorry for the emergency call.”

“It is cool to be out of the house.”

“Please sit down.”

He sat down.

“I have a problem.”

Mangal gave her that look of you-have-got-my-attention.

“I have been assigned to supervise our importation schedule for the next three months. It is a very hectic job but the allowance is big. Besides, I do not have a choice….”she went on to explain the details of how the job is to be carried out. Mangal wondered at the back of his mind why she was telling him this. “But the problem is this…..it is not here in kano. Our head office is in Port- Harcourt but this assignment is going to take place in Lagos.”

“Whoa.”

“I told my husband about it. I am a married woman and going to spend three months in Lagos is just not okay with me.”

“I understand.”

“I wish he could come with me but he also has a job. Even though things are not too rosy for him but it keeps us going. I am sorry to say this but I do support the family a lot because he owes a bank and he lost some goods. That means he cannot come with me.
Even if he could come with me, what about the kids? It’s not like I am being transferred from here so the kids cannot go with me to start a new school just for three months. I am really confused.
So I thought of something. I don’t know if you will be able to assist me.”

“Go on, Please.”

“I will only stay for a week and you help me out. I talked to my superior. All he wants is to get the job done. I will be coming within intervals to sign some documents and see how things are moving.
The company will pay for my accommodation in a hotel. That means you will stay there. When I come, I will have to pay for where I will lodge from my pocket. That means I will not like to be staying long. These are expensive hotels. I will also pay you of course. I am offering you one hundred thousand a month.
That is not much for an oil company but that is from my allowance and you must understand that I also need money.”

He nodded.

“I will give you time to think about it.”

He grinned.

“Firstly, you know I will always help you out.”

“I know right. You have always done that.”

“Secondly, I am jobless so this is an opportunity to have a job for three months.”

“Yes, and who knows if you will get a job here?”

“I pray so. I am in. The hotel bill, will you be given the money to pay or they will pay directly?”

“Why do you ask?”

“If they are giving you the money, just give it to me so I can get a cheaper hotel and keep the change.”

She laughed.

“No, Mangal. They would just provide accommodation. They won’t give me the money.”

He smiled. “I grab.”

That was how the journey to Lagos started. One week later, they were in Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 3:12pm On Oct 02, 2018
The hotel was a five star hotel. This company was nothing compared to the plastic company. Room 107 was reserved for her. Mangal took it while she lodged into another room which was just three doors from Room 107. They settled in and she began to brief him in details.
The next day, he accompanied her to the Lagos Office where she reported officially. She introduced Mangal to the branch manager who had been briefed by her boss.

She signed the necessary papers and they went back to the hotel. The next day, the job started and she was there to see the kick-off.
She knew Mangal was capable and reliable.

“This is one hundred and twenty thousand naira thousand naira.” She had given Mangal that night. “The management gives feeding allowance. I think you should have it. I am not saying that is all they gave me.”

He giggled.

“You don’t have to go there. I am already thinking of mama-put. I guess they expect you to be eating here.” He knew one thousand five hundred was going to take care of his daily feeding. That meant he could save two thousand and five hundred naira daily. He had to remind himself that this was not a permanent job.

He would save as much as he could so he would be able to establish a small business before he got a job. Though the capital was little, but a barbershop would keep him breathing and avoid Maman Gambo’s grumbles.

She left the next day. She said she was missing her husband and children.
Mangal was glad to have something doing for a while. He kept himself busy with the job but deep down, he knew he was so lonely. Having lost his mother, fiancée and job, life became an inferno to him.

Beeba came back for the end of month report. She was glad to see how successful he was at the job.

“I just want to thank you for your diligence. I am not astonished though. I know I can always rely on you.”

“Thank you.”

“There are some changes this month. Our concentration is going to be on South-West…….” She began to brief him. She wanted to leave on the third day so she had to make sure she let him have all the information.
This made her stay late in his room and at a point, she fell asleep.
Mangal felt very uncomfortable. He did not know how to wake her up so he simply left and went into her room and slept there.
She felt embarrassed the next day when she saw herself in his room. How could she have fallen asleep there?
She went back to her room to have her bath, breakfast before they left for work.
She paid him his first salary and he did not waste time in depositing it in his account.

In the night, after dinner and rest, they resumed work. This time, they chose to use the lobby of the hotel. They kept working until a few minutes after 11:00PM. They were both tired and decided to call it a day.
They went upstairs and to their various rooms.

Mangal pulled his clothes and was left only in his boxers. He dropped on the bed, tired and he felt the loneliness come back.
He had to move on. His mother was dead, that was a pain that would never leave but what she needed most was prayers. He had accepted that but he had not gotten over his breakup with Hauwa. She broke up with him just a few days after his mother’s death.

He had hopes she was going to be there for him. He had built his life around her and she just left like that.
He closed his eyes, lay still while his hands crossed over his stout chest.
He got up, moved to the refrigerator and poured himself a cup of water. It was while he was drinking he heard a knock at the door.

“I am sorry to bother you.” He heard Beeba say. “The Calabar dispatch code is 768 and not 786. I just saw the message.”

He opened the door without thinking.

They all stood still for a fraction of second.

“You- you are not dressed.” She said, feeling embarrassed.

“Oh my God!” He exclaimed and ran back to wear a T-shirt. “Wallahi I was absentminded.”

“I know.” She went in after he wore the T-shirt. “That means we have change all the dispatch points and that is a hell of a work. I promised Abu Haneef that I would be on the first flight tomorrow morning. I am sorry about this. I know you are tired.”

He was tired indeed.

“It’s okay.” He said thinking about the money he just deposited.

He brought out the laptop she had given him and they began to make corrections. The laptop was on the table, while he sat on the chair.

She was standing behind him with a distribution schedule paper telling him where to change.

“Mangal.” She called. “There is something going on with you. It’s not just about being tired. Your mum?”

He forced a smile.

“I have accepted that. I am good.”

“I talked to the manager. He said they may give you a chance of a casual worker and then try to confirm you since they can’t employ you fully now.”

That was great. He never hoped to be a casual worker but that was better than being jobless and a casual worker in an oil company may not be doing badly.

“Thank you. I really appreciate you. You are like a sister I never had.”

Immediately he said that, she saw the weakness him. His eyes glistened, and a dull ray showed emptiness and helplessness.
He was like a drowning child calling out for help. He was like a naked child outside during winter in need of clothes and shelter.
She saw someone in need. Someone who had being there for her.

Mangal felt her hand on his shoulder. At first it was shock and fear.

“I will be there for you.”

His hand moved and touched hers. He did not know what to do next. Shove it off? Yes, that was what he ought to do.
Beeba was befuddled. Why did she touch his shoulder? Why was her hand still under his? What was wrong with her?

Stillness.
Silence.

“Thank you.” He whispered. This was wrong but he could not let her go. He felt her breath closer. She was now resting her head on his shoulder.
He began to shiver. A part of him told him it was fear, another part said it was cold, and another said it was need.

He turned abruptly and pulled her to himself and she sagged on his laps.
She had to stop! What was wrong? She wanted to get up, force herself up but she could not.
She wound her hands around him and their lips met.

Damn!

Beneath the senses of judgement was that sweetness that blurred the mind. All she began to feel was the sweetness of his touch and kiss.
As they moved to the bed, she knew she was lost. Something she had never dreamt of doing. It took no time before their clothes were on the floor. The unthinkable happened.

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 3:19pm On Oct 02, 2018
Mangal could not believe what he just did. Did he just sleep with a married woman? Was this real? Was this not what use to disgust them when Bala mentioned it. They thought they could never do it. It never even crossed their mind.
How did this happen? His loneliness, dejection, or what? There was never a justifiable reason to sleep with a married woman. No reason was acceptable and he knew that.

No! This did not happen. It was just a nightmare. He felt like a beast. A worthless fellow. A devil. A condemned soul. That was it?
He burst into tears, dropped on the bathroom floor and cried like a child. He had cheated himself, her husband, his religion, and marital status. What punishment did he deserve? Should he go and report himself? What? He was just a weak bastard.

Beeba was going through the same feelings in her room. She had ran out of the room after it was over. She had felt it was just a nightmare like Mangal did.
She felt like a the most horrible woman on earth . She could swear she had never planned this, or thought of it. Why?
They crossed the line. She took him as just a colleague and forgot that Islam had put a barrier between a man and a woman.
The time they spent in the jungle was inevitable and was not deliberate. For the fact that they were together and nothing happened, she thought nothing will ever happen.

It was wrong to be in a seclusion with a man that was a non-mahram. Work or no work!
If Bala knew what just happened, he would swear that it had been happening for long and he was right about them. No! Even after what happened, he was wrong. The devil just got into them this night.

She was crying, soaked in water, washing her body as if she could wash everything away. How was she going to face Isa? Would it not be written on her face? Should she confess to him? What would she tell him? He trusted her. She trusted herself but she betrayed him and herself.
There was a limit between the relationship between a man and a girl.
She was doomed! What next?
Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 3:32pm On Oct 02, 2018
Haba Beeba!!
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 4:17pm On Oct 02, 2018
She is only human. He was vulnerable.
Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2018
Born2Breed:
She is only human. He was vulnerable.
How many husbands would understand that. Seriously I don't blame the guy. Like u said he was vulnerable hence the more reason why she never should hv been in his room alone in the first place especially at that time NO MATTER WHAT!
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 7:18am On Oct 03, 2018
excelmerry:

How many husbands would understand that. Seriously I don't blame the guy. Like u said he was vulnerable hence the more reason why she never should hv been in his room alone in the first place especially at that time NO MATTER WHAT!

She wouldn't have been with the guy if not work related. This guy lost his job because of her, lost his girlfriend and finally his mum.
She felt pity for the guy, she just wanted to help and comfort the guy albeit the wrong way which makes her human. I wish they can forgive themselves but it will be difficult.

Meanwhile, if you are new here....check out SokoDobo other stories and you will be captivated. Also don't forget to nominate him...

https://www.nairaland.com/4762830/nomination-october-5k-awards
Re: The Last Insurgent by vicben27(m): 7:38am On Oct 03, 2018
SokoDobo:
We are working towards publishing some of our books, so we want to get feedback from the public before doing so.

The following are excerpts from the unedited version of the book The Last Insurgent

A Bellan Fiction Books 2018. All rights reserved.
good morning Bro! you most be from kogi or Niger state it's good to know we have brothers like you working on something great
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
NINE

Beeba sat behind the cab with a tumultuous heart. She had hoped for a happy comeback, eager to come back to her husband and children, until last night.
She wished she could just walk away, and go far she would never be seen again. Her heartbeat was faster, not knowing if Isa would find out from her appearance.

She arrived home about nineteen minutes later and stood by the gate hesitating. She felt like going back. She could see his car parked in front of the house.
Before she could knock, the door opened and he peeped. She felt as if the ground should swallow up.

“Your other is around.” He said with a grin before he came to hug her. The children came out excited and embraced her.

They were excited to see her. She was filled with guilt but it seemed he could not see it on her face.

“How was Lag?” He asked.

No! Lagos was horrible. No! She was terrible. She did not want to hear that name now. Not now.

“Fine.” She said. “I- I missed you guys.”

The next few days were not easy for her. The guilt dwelled in her and sometimes she felt like telling someone maybe that could ease her. She felt the best person to tell was Isa but after a second thought, she discarded the idea totally.
Trouble started when the month came to an end. She had to go back to Lagos and that meant seeing Mangal again.
Okay, she would act as if nothing ever happened but she would never be in seclusion with him or any other man again.

She travelled to Lagos and she had to see him. They had acted as if nothing had happened. But the tension between them was palpable. They were not as free with each other like they used to be. They were very formal and would not even share a joke. Mangal did not even ask after her husband like he used to do. They chose to do the reviews and reports at the lobby.
They stopped by 9:00PM and both left for their rooms. The next day, she went for the formal reports and signing. Mangal went for his duty.
She received the monthly distribution schedule and had to explain it to Mangal while they fix it.
They worked until it was 10:00PM.

“Goodnight.” He said and got up. She did not reply.

He ascended the stairs and got to the door to his room. He slot in the key and unlocked. He turned the door knob and pushed the door.
He went in and before he could close it, he felt someone behind him.
He frowned.
She gave him no time for wondering. She rushed in and grabbed him. He responded and they kissed while clothes dropped on the floor.
One hour later, while Mangal was pretending to be asleep, she lay on his body thinking.
How did it happen again? Why did it happen again?

She had regretted it the first time. Even now she did but there was a deeper problem.
Even in her deepest mood of regret and remorse, she could still feel the sparks his hand ignited in her. She could never stop thinking about his brio. She tried to run away from thoughts. When she closed her eyes, instead of running away from his thought, she saw him, his stout chest, the abs, the mean expression he had as he took her; those manly touches yet full of sensations and mildness.
These were thoughts she buried inside and refused to admit to herself. Thoughts that resonated with her. Now as she layby his side, her head on his chest, after a hot love making, she knew she wanted more of him.

“I know you are awake.” She said.

He smiled and opened his eyes. He was feeling uncomfortable. If they claimed it a mistake the last time it happened , why a second time?
He allowed the weakness of the mind toil with him. His physical needs and satisfaction got over him. She had a body only a few men could resist. After the first time they had sex, the feelings lingered for long.
When he saw her yesterday, he had quickly took off his eyes and tried to forget her but he could not. When she followed him, he could not resist.

“We did it again.” He said. “We have to stop.”

“I know.” She said and after seeing that smile of his, she knew she was not ready to stop soon. “I could not resist you Mangal. I am horrible but
I can’t help it. Why are bad things so sweet?”

He turned and sent his hand to her back.

“I have heard that and you just proved it. I wonder what GM would say if he knew what is going on.”

“Maybe he saw it. There might have been some kind of chemistry between us we never knew. I have always like you but in a platonic way.”

She got up and sat on him.

“We have to stop but before then…..I want more of you, soldier boy.”

“You know I will give it to you, how; when; where; and for how long you want it.”

“Awwwnnn….”

The first time they committed this great sin, they all fell very guilty. But this second time, they felt less guilty. In fact, after the third they spent together, they stopped feeling anything wrong.
Now it just sweetness, romance and nothing more. She moved into his room and lodged out of hers. They spent
One week together before she reluctantly went back to Kano.

Back in Kano, she could not stop thinking about him. The only hand that touched her and made her melt was his. She tried to act normal with Isa, and he seemed to be unsuspicious.
After three the assignment, which gave her the chance to spent days with him, Mangal came back to Kano but the relationship continued.
She succeeded in getting him a job as a casual worker with the firm. They would sometimes make love in office, toilet, car and his house.

On this fateful day, she had just returned and met Isa sitting on a rocking chair in the open courtyard. He
After three the assignment, which gave her the chance to spent days with him, Mangal came back to Kano but the relationship continued.
She succeeded in getting him a job as a casual worker with the firm. They would sometimes make love in office, toilet, car and his house.
On this fateful day, she had just returned and met Isa sitting on a rocking chair in the open courtyard. He wore white singlet and black shorts.

“Hello Darling.” She said. “I am sorry I came back late. The oil scarcity is escalating and pressure is proliferating.”

“It is okay. Please sit down.”

She gave him a sharp glance.

“I hope it’s okay.”

“I just want to talk with you.”

What was going on?

She sat down beside him.

He was silent for a while. She could feel the tension between them.

“Your former boss tried to give me the impression that you were having an extramarital affair with that young man, Mangal.”

It was here!

Beeba began to find it hard to submerge her fears. She had not expected this.

“I remember.” She said.

“I used to get angry because I trusted you. I never believed him and I still don’t believe him.”

I still don’t believe him. That was a relief.

She still kept quiet.

“But I have been getting some reports lately about you and the same boy. Not from your ex-boss. They did not say you are having an affair with him. They only said you are too close for comfort. I am also uncomfortable with it.”

“Who are the people saying this?”

“It does not matter. Do you know that you have changed? There is something that has taken your attention away. You only pretend to be here. I guess it is your work or the fact that you earn more than I do now and you take a chunk of the responsibilities…I don’t know but I feel I am losing my Beeba to something….and I hope it is not someone.”

“What are you talking about? How dare you say something like that…” She began to cry. It was just a face saving act and she cried because he was right. She got up and ran to her room to cry. He came after her.

“I am sorry.” He said.

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 1:52pm On Oct 03, 2018
OK ooo. I keep reiterating that simple fact. A woman should never put herself in situations that'll put her in jeopardy. Emotions control them a lot so is better not to find urself in situations where u lose urself without control. There's nothing wrong in working together but their approach to it wasn't right.

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by stevyno1(m): 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
Interesting and captivating
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2018
vicben27:
good morning Bro! you most be from kogi or Niger state it's good to know we have brothers like you working on something great

Hello bro. Thanks for the complement. "Kogi or Niger". How did you know?
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2018
“How are you?” Isa said casually as he offered Mangal a hand.

“I am fine, thank you Sir.” Mangal shook the hand with a wave of guilty conscience. “Please come inside.”

“Thank you but I just need to talk to you. I am good here.”

Mangal, who was standing by the door, came out.

“I am with you Sir.”

“I will go straight to the point. You have been my wife’s colleague and I heard she also got you a job now. You were kidnapped together and she said you saved her life. I appreciate that. I am here because I don’t feel comfortable with your relationship. You are not her biological brother. You are not related. You are an adult and she is also one. Islam do not allow a man and a woman who are not related to be as close as you are. I am not accusing you of adultery…..”
Adultery!
That was the right word to describe what they have been doing and not making love. The sound of that word alone is repulsive.

“And I am not suspecting her. I am not a fool but I am just given a benefit of doubt. I need you to do me a favour. Please stay out of her live. I will plead with my friend to transfer you from here. Please stop seeing her even if it not an affair you are having. I love her and need her back.”

“Did she leave?”

“Not physically but she is gone in many ways. Her attention is elsewhere. She is not the Beeba I used to know.”

Mangal was now more guilty than ever.

“Does she come here?” Isa threw an expected question which made Mangal flinch.

“No Sir. The last time she came was when you came to pay a condolence visit with her.”

“That is great. There is no reason that should make a married woman visit a single man. Besides, she had never sought for my permission to visit you.”

“Yes Sir.”

A phone chimed. It was Mangal’s phone and he knew it was Beeba. He was waiting for her and she was at a shop getting food for them the last time they talked. She could appear any moment from now.

“I think your phone is ringing.” Isa said. “Please pick your call.”

Mangal was right. Beeba just drove into the street and had no idea that her husband was there. He did not go in his car.

“Pick your call. I won’t mind.”

“Hello.” Mangal said. “Musty, how far? Hello….Hello.”

The line was cut. Mangal shrugged.

“The line if off. I will call him back later.” He said.

“Okay. I think I have made myself clear.”

“Yes Sir. I am sorry for any inconvenience that I may have caused but there is nothing going on between me and your wife but I will heed to what you have said.”

“Thank you very much. I will have to leave.”

“Okay sir.”

He nodded and walked away.
Mangal rushed back in and began to dial Beeba’s number but it was switched off. What was wrong? He hoped he would not see her. He was jittery and unbalanced.

One hour later, he heard a knock and he peeped. It was her.

“Your husband is suspicious.” He said as he opened the door. He was here. You have to leave now and it has to stop. Did you see him? He is broken.”

“Let me in first. Standing here is risky.”

“What if he comes back?”

“I saw him leave.”

“What?”

“I became suspicious when you called me Musty. I know he is suspicious. He talked to me. They have been talking to him. Nothing is hidden under the sun and he way things are going, the way I am crazy over you, sooner or later the gaff would be blown.”

“Then we have to stop at this very moment.”

She moved in.

“I know.”

“I feel so bad about it. I am scared.”

“So am I.”

“He says he would tell his friend to work out my transfer. I think that is a good idea.”

“I know right because I am afraid if I keep seeing you, it is going to be difficult. It is insane Mangal. I am married and I am in love with you. Yes, it’s not just about sex. It is about you.”

“We should stop talking about it. Please leave now.”

She eyed him.

“I just need one favour from you.”

“What?”

“One more time.”

“Hell no!”

“Please. Just once won’t count.”

“It counts. We have done a lot of damage.”

“Please….” Ad her veil was off, exposing her wide hips. He paused and took off his eyes.

“Mangal…..”

“Okay, just one more time.”

They locked the door and spent the next two hours on bed. She went home and met Isa on the serving his children food.
She pitied him and was glad she finally made a decision to let Mangal go. She wanted to things to back to normal. She would resume being her old self.

“Welcome.” He said.

“Thank you. I am sorry. I had a lot of work.”

“I understand. I want to talk to you. I will not waste time.” He turned at the kids. “Enjoy your food. I and mummy want to talk.”

They went to the bedroom and he sat on the bed.

“I went to Mangal.” He said. “I went to ask him to stay away from you and planned on telling you the same. I wanted it to end today and since I never saw anything wrong, or none of the people who spoke to me said they saw anything wrong, I wanted to put it behind me and we carry on.”

That was good news. Yes, they should all put it behind.

“I told you that there is nothing going on between us but since it has gotten to this level, I have decided to stop talking to him.”

“That is good for you. You see, you are the mother of my children. The relationship between you and I can end and there would be nothing between us but that can never happen between you and your children. No matter how you hurt me, if I decide to disgrace you, it would affect my children because you are their mother and one day, someone would say, your mother did this. So, I would do anything to protect your integrity. I can forgive you and you seek forgiveness from Allah if you really want that.”

She frowned.

“What are you talking about?”

“I entered a cab only to stop and go back to his house. I waited there and it took no long before you appeared. You parked your car far away. I waited there and you spent almost three hours inside. I guess it was all office work.”

Beeba began to sweat, literarily shivering and lost colour completely. The game was up. I cannot go to court and say I saw you having sex with another man because I did not see what you guys were doing inside. But I saw enough to obliterate the trust I have for you. I saw enough to sweep away the love I had for you. I am going to keep your secret for the sake of my children. There is a word for it….irreconcilable difference. We will leave at that. I have divorced you.” He handed a paper to her. “ I should have made it three but that is bidi’a. it does not matter because we can never come back together. But keeping your secret has conditions. You will stay away from my children until they have grown. I don’t want them around a prostitute.”

“Prostitute?’

“I am sorry about that. At least, some prostitutes don’t like what they do. They do it for money, because they need something but what about you? You have enough, you have a husband and I am not impotent or weak. I don’t treat you badly so why do you do it? Calling you a prostitute is too good for you. You are a slot. An animal. An ingrate. You are a disgrace to womanhood and Islam.
I need you to leave right now. I will help you pack your things and send them to you. I should have let you do that but I don’t know what will happen if I keep seeing your face for the next thirty minutes. It is the grace of God that has made me kept my cool but deep down, I feel like killing you. I can do it if you don’t leave now. Please leave.”

She could not cry at that moment. She felt as if Zuma Rock was put on her head while molten brass was being used to bath her.
She saw something in his eyes she had never seen. Even though he was calm, the dangerous note in his voice and eyes were scary.

“I am sorry.” She said and ran out. Immediately she got into her car, she burst into tears.

“Mummy, are you going out again?” she heard Haneef say after her. She started the car engine and began to drive.

The world looked so dark and cold. She kept driving with no sense of direction until she pulled over and let crying hoping she would wake up to realise it was just a nightmare.

She managed to call Mangal’

“He saw us. It is over. He divorced me. He is broken but I am shattered beyond repair. I just lost everything because I let myself derail. I don’t know if I can live for long with this but I hope I have the opportunity to repent. I am done……”

Mangal just held the phone and zoned out. He had stopped hearing her.
All she heard was his exclamation.

“Goodbye Beeba and repent now before it is too late. I have taken a decision that…fits me.”

He ended the call and smashed the phone on the floor. He walked out of the house and began to walk. He did what he had ever imagined he could do. There was no excuse. There was nothing like putting blame on her or anyone. Yes, she started it but she did not force him. He was as guilty as she was.

Thirty two minutes later, he was standing on a cliff. He felt the only punishment he deserved was to take his life. It was before he jumped down he remembered that suicide was a straight ticked to hell. No matter the circumstance, it was not allowed to take his life because the life did not belong to him. But he remembered this too late. He had lost balance and he fell off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 4:50pm On Oct 03, 2018
TEN

Leena had a few seconds to remember her parents, siblings and Adam before she felt herself drowning. The water was cold and dark. She never knew she was going to end up like this. She had hoped to die and get buried and not under the river and float like an inflated balloon.
The last image that came to her was that of Mufty. She hoped he would come to realise his mistakes and leave that sect.
She began to sink until she was completely submerged. She felt something drifting out of her and she knew she was dying.
Then she felt something else. It was a pull and the next thing was air passing through her nose. Water gnashed out of her mouth and she began to cough.
It was a girl who had grabbed her and pulled her to the surface of the water. She could not identify the person. It was dark, and she was almost out of her senses.
The person helped her to a canoe before she was pulled up.
It was after the person began to compress her chest and pump water out of her she realised that it was Aisha.

Aisha had seen what happened and she immediately jumped in. She lived in a riverine area so she was accustomed to the river and was a very good swimmer.
The man who pushed her into the river laughed.

“Do not try to escape next time.” He said.

They kept paddling, rowing the canoes with the sad girls for over one hour before they arrived at a bank of river and began to stop. They now put on their flashlights, holding their guns and continuously warning the girls to behave well or get shot.
Leena felt better but still shocked. Aisha sat close to her. Both girls were wet and it was cold. Aisha was more used to it but Leena was shivering and felt sick.

“Welcome to Harabul Kusum.” A fat man with very big tommy said. His face was full of beards, and he wore a black turban. A rifle hung on his back and three armed men flanked him. He was waiting for them and he seems very happy to have them. “ Masha Allah. Girls that have been saved from a dirty world and brought into a pure world of Islam. No more taghut insha Allah.”

“Allahu Akhbar!” An insurgent shouted.

“Allahu Akhbar ! Allahu akhbar!” They echoed.

This was sickening to most of the girls. How could they be praising God when they were doing the things God forbade? Where they just delusional or deceiving themselves?
They began to force the girls out of the canoe and ask them to line up for assessment and documentation.
The girls were made to line up.

“What is that?” One of the insurgents observed as he saw a silhouette. He sent a beam on it and they realised that it was one of the girls trying to escape.
The fat man removed his rifle and set it on her.

“Let me catch her Bamba.”

Pauw! Pauw!

He fired two shots and the girl screamed before she dropped.

“No catching.” The fat man, Bamba said with a smile. “The other girls need to know that it is dangerous to try to escape.” He returned his rifle.

“You are all going to spend three days here before you are moved to your husband’s houses.” He began to send a beam of light on the girls. He produced halitosis and his breathing sounded like a snore. He was dirty and rough. His hair and beards were unkempt.

He paused when he got to Leena. He spent a few second admiring her before he smiled.

“I like you. Pray I pick you.”

Harabul Kusum was another camp the insurgents had close to Gumbau River. This was a place where captives were held for a day or two before being transported to their destinations . The insurgents preferred female cap\tives and usually killed the men. They slaughter these men in cold blood in presence of their wives and children.
The place was cagey, known only to a few of the insurgents. It was guided by twenty heavily armed men, headed by Bamba. They all had ‘wives’ they picked from the captives.

Now these set of captives were to be transported to a camp between Nigeria and Cameroun. Some of the top men in the sect would come and relax with girls so they could feel more at ease and do God’s work. Besides, they said they extricating these girls who were just wasting their lives with taghuts in the name of school.

The canoe men had gone back but one of them came back the next morning.
He was the man who had pushed Leena out of the canoe. He met Bamba under a tent near the river.

“Peace be upon you, The Great Bamber; The bullet of God, The uplifted man of God, The one who loves to shoot a military man and wear his uniform.”

“Peace be upon you, Jalla. What brings you to my zone this morning?”

“You know I took part in the Bama operation. I was also part of those who blew Kasuwan Dare. I was the one who shot and killed Police Officer Kabiru Marte…..”

“What do you want?”

“You are a father of all and I have come to seek the hand of one of your daughters for marriage. I saw, I loved, I want, I seek, and I hope to get.”

“Hmmm….is she among the lucky girls of last night? Definitely yes because they are the only lucky ones now. The next shipping will be on Wednesday.”

“Yes. I was part of those who brought them.”

“I barely know them but these ones are special breeds and they are specifically for Baitul Nasr. I have to explain to them why I shot one of them and I also saw one of them I love and the marriage will be knotted later. I can explain why two are missing but not three.”

“Please Bamba. I could not sleep last night….”

“Come back on Wednesday. New girls will arrive. I can’t explain why three girls are missing under my auspices. That will make me look incompetent. I should have waited till Wednesday to have a new wife but I just fell in love with her. God saved her for me…I saw a vision that a girl will be sent to me from above. She will be thrown into the river but will survive because it is written that I will marry her.”

“I – I am confused.”

“I saw a vision so when I was told that one of the girls was thrown in the river as they came and another saved her life, I knew she the one.”
Jalla felt his mouth go bitter.

“Hmmm….”

“What?”

“Em…it’s nothing. I will wait until Wednesday.”

“Good.”

“won’t you wait for my wedding. It will take place later. I am going to have a bath today even though it is not yet Friday. For her , I will do that.”

“I wanted to ask you why you don’t take bath except on Fridays?”

“Washing my body washes away blessings.”

“Hmmmm…”Jalla did not believe this. Even most of them were not Islamically knowledgeable, except a few who misinterpreted the verses to deceive them, he knew Bamba was more ignorant than him.

“I see visions, and the spirits fear me. It is all because of how strong and blessed I am. My sweat is a healing. Would you like me to bless you by rubbing it on you?”

“Alhamdulillaah. My grandfather was a waliy and he blessed me with his Urine. I am already blessed the great one. I think I will take my leave. I will be back on Wednesday.”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by vicben27(m): 8:25pm On Oct 03, 2018
SokoDobo:

Hello bro. Thanks for the complement. "Kogi or Niger". How did you know?
the interpretation of ur name means " God dey" that's either Bassa-nge or Nupe. which could either be from kogi or Niger state.
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 9:03pm On Oct 03, 2018
vicben27:
the interpretation of ur name means " God dey" that's either Bassa-nge or Nupe. which could either be from kogi or Niger state.

That's right.
Re: The Last Insurgent by dude(m): 10:09pm On Oct 03, 2018
Sokodobo, Ku be itu. Soko a yai Nosara. Ooooun
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 10:47pm On Oct 03, 2018
dude:
Sokodobo, Ku be itu. Soko a yai Nosara. Ooooun

Ndagim. Mjebo sarai.
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 11:23pm On Oct 03, 2018
The night was bubbling with excitement. The girls were forced to come out and stand on the vast field which also served as their training ground.
The girls had cooked food. The camp was lit with electric bulbs powered by solar power.
The prison cells were made up of two big buildings were the girls would be made to share and sleep on bare floor.
Then the insurgents lived in small tents.

Bamba had taken a bath and wore a very shapeless caftan and a cap that looked like a wizard’s hat. He looked like a fictional character of an animated movie.

“Allahu Akhbar (God is great)!” He shouted.

“Allahu Akhbar!!” his men replied.

“I am very happy tonight.” He said. “There is nothing as sweet as helping someone. I feel great when I touch somebody’s live and that is what I have been doing all my life.”

“May God reward you!” A man said.

“Ameen.” The men echoed.

Bamba paused, his eyes became thinner and the smile vanished.

“The next time I say Allahu Akhbar and the girls don’t respond, or anyone prays for me and they don’t amen, then heads will roll. My enemy is an enemy of God. You see what we have been talking about? You were in a world where god is revered and feared. We say God is great and you keep quiet? Subahanallah! That must stop from this very moment. And I am very important in this movement to purify the world. It is imperative you pray for me. After prayers for the Holy prophet SAW, I should be the next before your parents. Allahu Akhabar!”

“Allahu Akhbar!” The girls joined them. They had not forgotten what he did to the girl who tried to escape.

He showed his dirty teeth.

“Masha Allah.” He said happily the joy in him was back.” I have a very good news for you. One of you is going to be blessed tonight. I know you all want to be blessed but it is not every girl that gets this golden chance. I am going to pick a wife right now…..”

The girls went silent. Hearts beating rapidly, praying not to be chosen by this beast.
He began to move slowly, looking at the girls. He got to one, extended a hand and then withdrew at once before laughing.

“She thought it was going to be her. I am sorry my dear. You are not the chosen one. I hope you are not angry.”

He did not know that the girl was thanking her God profusely.
Finally, he chose Leena and she was dragged out. The men began to clap and congratulating Leena.
A few rounds of bullets were fired into the air.

“Stop!” He shouted and there was silence. “When something good happens to your neighbour, felicitate with him, okay. Do not be jealous. Come and congratulate her one after the other.”

Leena began to cry.

“Ohhhhhh, tears of joy.” Bamba said hapilly. “ Food, food, food, serve food. Enjoy.”

After the feast and what he called a grand reception, he asked the girls to be taken back to their cells. Aisha cried profusely because she may never see Leena again. Leena was still crying as the dirty fatso led her away, making her want to puke with halitosis.
His tent was the biggest. His wives were two and lived in the cells. They only came out to cook, or come to his bed. Sometimes, they would come and sit with him outside while he cuddled them both at once.
Sometimes, they will puke due to his very bad breath and body odour.

Tonight was a special night because he had never had a girl as beautiful as Leena.
The tent was big with a small bed. It was dirty, with dirty clothes loitering, phlegm spat on the walls, undone dishes, unfinished decaying food. The room smelled and Leena felt like puking.

“I have the biggest here. It is a palace and you are now a queen. This is better than taken you to those old sheikhs. I just saved you. Now pull your clothes.”

He began to UnCloth.

“I am a modern jihadist. I do know how to kiss.” He laughed and she could still detect his bad breath even though the whole smelt like shit.

“Have you done it before?” He asked. “ Are you a virgin. I want to know so I should know how to handle you.”

“I am HIV positive.”

He laughed.

“There is no problem. I love you for who you are and not what you are. I don’t mind.” He began to breath harder and his eyes bulged out as he looked at her curves. “ Besides, I am blessed so I think my powers would heal you.”

He began to take off his clothe.

“I said UnCloth.” He said and he looked angry now.

If suicide was not a sin, Leena would have killed herself.

“I can’t. I have never gone unclad in front of a man.”

“I understand. It seems you have never done it.” His eyes glittered more, excited that he had a virgin here. “You are now my wife and this not debauchery. Pull up my darling.”

She still stood still.

He stopped smiling. With a striking speed, he moved and slapped her before pushing her to the bed. He was now naked, and looked more disgusting. She wished his halitosis could kill her because she felt as if it came with poisonous gases.
He was going to rape her and there was no chance of anyone coming to save her.
She began to scream. The grubby fatso was used to this. Some of the girls never gave in easily so he had to break them until they realised there was nothing they could do.

He pinned her down until she could not move.

“You will enjoy it, okay.” He said as he tried tore off her pant.

Then he felt something very shard on his side. It was like being hit with a rod.

“Wayo!” he yelled and rolled on his side. He raised his face to see a man standing, with a face that looked like a mask of horror. Who was this? How did he get here.

“How dare you ?” Bamba said, trying to see how he could reach his gun.

“I am Mufty Salman of Al-bait. I don’t know if you have heard of me.”

Who had not heard of Mufty the coldblooded sniper and clean-up agent?

Leena did not know when she smiled.

“I knew you will come for me.” She said in her mind and cried.
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 11:32pm On Oct 03, 2018
ELEVEN

“Peace be upon you, Mufty.” Bamba said, “Who has not heard about you in our great family? It is an honour to meet you.”

“Get up and cover your piggish body!” Mufty said with a stern face. Leena had never seen him smile but there was a fierce note in his eyes that radiated danger which she had never seen.

“Mufty, I am Bamba of Harabul kusum. Why are you doing this? What os going on here?”

“I am taking her with me.”

“They are from Al-bait. Jahl sent them and they are headed for……”

“Get up Leena.” Mufty said. “We are leaving.”

She sprang up with alacrity, wiped off her face and felt as if she was just given the chance to go back home. Being with Mufty was better than being with any insurgent.

“Mufty, we are brothers.”

“Why are you keeping her here? Was she sent to you?”

“No. I saw a vision and god told me that she is mine.”

Mufty had expected what Bamba tried to do. He wanted to raise an alarm. Mufty sent a powerful kick and crashed his Timberland onto his neck. That was a professional move. Bamba could not shout. He whimpered in pain. Held his neck and wriggled on the floor.

“Close your eyes Leena.” Mufty said.

“No, please, mufty. Don’t do it. I will let her go. I am a muslim brother. Muslims don’t kill muslims.”

“Tell me where it is written that muslims should kill non-muslims. Tell me that you select when you detonate bombs. We all deserve death. You, me and all the enemies of God and Islam that call themselves jihadists in this act of brutality.”

“Are you really Mufty?”

“You will find out in your grave.”

Mufty put the barrel of the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Leena was terrified at the sound. She was witnessing the second murder in two days. First it was Bamba who killed a girl. Now he was killed too but she his death as a justifiable homicide.

She opened her eyes and saw Bamba’s big shapeless body lying in a pool of blood.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

“Thank you.” She said.

He did not reply her. He just wore that stern expression he always had.

“We leave now.”

“Okay….”

He studied her.

“What is wrong?”

“I was nearly killed. I was thrown into the river and a girl saved me. I wish she could be saved. She has a child….”

“Enough. Come with me.”

She followed him. It was then she saw three dead bodies on the ground.
She did not know that Mufty who was an insider and had information about the place had being there since in the afternoon.
After Jahl asked him to go look for the men who were missing, and he killed the man who was with him, he began to pursue the bus.
He knew he would not meet up with them but he knew exactly where they were going.

“Come with me.” He said.

They walked briskly to the hall where the girls were kept captive.

Leena screamed as she saw a man with a gun. She had cringed and began to shiver. It was the man who had thrown her into the river.

“It is okay.” Mufty said. “He is with me.”

“He is the man who tried to kill me.” she said.

“I know. There is a misconception.” He said and to the man, “Jalla, open the door.”

“Yes, sir.”

He fired two shots and the door was opened. Beside the building were the bodies of the gunmen. Mufty had taken down six of them; Jalla shot and killed four while Hudu, Jalla’s friend watched.

Leena could not understand how Jalla came into the picture. But what did she understand about these people.
The only person she trusted was Mufty.
Mufty went inside after wearing a mask and saw the ashen-faced girls wore.

“Who are the so-called wives of Bamba?”

Two young girls stood up. Mufty felt his heart breaking as he looked at them.

“He is dead. I just killed him. Will you like to observe iddah?”

“No!” They said in unison. Jalla chuckled.

“Okay, come with us.”

The girls did not hesitate or wonder who he was. They just felt anything was better than staying here.
Leena saw Aisha and hugged her.

“Iceman, right?” Aisha whispered.

Leena smiled and nodded.

They went out of the hall and followed Mufty while Jalla and his friend followed from behind.
They arrived the bank of the river. There were only five canoes. Mufty had come with one while Bamba and his boys had three while Bamba and nuhu had one. The girls were one hundred and one in number.

“The canoes are not enough.” Jalla said, eyeing Leena from the corner of his eyes. “I suggest you people should leave. I will send for a canoe to carry me , my wife and Hudu.”

My wife? Leena frowned. What was he talking about? What had Mufty done.

“We have to go with them. we have to pick her twin sister, remember?”

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Some of the girls screamed as they heard the sudden gunshot sound.

Jalla was first to drop on the ground, before Nuhu followed.

Mufty did not care how any of them felt about him. He did not try to explain, All he did was what he felt was imperative.
He was stalking and peeking when he ran into Jalla and Nuhu.
Nuhu, who was obsessed with Leena had invited his friend to come help him kidnap Leena.

When they saw Mufty, they recognised him. He told them he had come for his wife. Jalla also said he came for his wife. He described Leena and Mufty knew she was the one.
Jalla went on to tell him how he had thrown he into the river. So Mufty saw this as an opportunity to use them. He told them that Jalla could have her and Nuhu could have her twin sister. When he told them that they were identical twins, Nuhu was hyper.

Now he knew he had to kill them. Anyone who saw him must die. They must not talk.
He had decided that every insurgent deserved death and that included him.

“Okay, we have to leave here fast.” He said aloud. “I have disenabled the service provider but we can’t take a risk. The canoes are only six and we must all leave. Not everyone may survive. It all depends on destiny. I don’t know if you know how to row a canoe but you must do it to survive.”

“some of us do.” A girl said. “ A lot of us come from riverine areas.”

“Good for you.”

They packed themselves in the canoes like sardines in a can.
It was not about comfort. It was about survival. The voyage began. Mufty had two Ak 47 rifles close to him. Leena was with him while Aisha and Mufty rowed the canoe they were in.
The journey which was dangerous ended one hour later. It was very cold and late.

When the alighted, he wondered how he was going to transport all of these girls. He was surprised they did not ask him where he was taking them to. Why did they trust him?
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 11:51pm On Oct 03, 2018
“ I can’t reach Bamba.” Jahl said. “I have not heard from Mufty since he left. What is going on?”

“I am not comfortable with this.” Sule Mungunu said. “I think we should tell him.”

“No!” Jahl said. “That would be a failure on my part.”

“If we can’t reach Bamba on phone, or any of his boys, then we need to tell him so some boys should go there.”

“I have boys.” Jahl said. “ We are going to Harabal Kusum now. I how Mufty and the boys are dead or safe but not arrested.”

“Mufty will never allow himself get arrested. He would rather die.”

“Hmmm…..I am worried. Get three trucks and thirty boys. Call the canoe boys to wait for us by the river. Open the arsenal. Let the boys be
armed to teeth.”

Mungunu greened. He loved such orders.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Hurry. I just feel there is something wrong.”

They kept walking until they got the point where Mufty hid the truck. He was confused. He had just a truck and one hundred and one girls. How were they going to do this.

“Okay ladies, we have got no time. I think they should be on their way now. They keep check constantly and when they get no response, they try to find out why. Now we have just one truck. Who wants to stay behind?”

Not a single made a sound. There was absolute silence.

“Okay, it is going to be worse this time. I am going to pack you in like goods. I hope you can bear it?”

“We can.”

He began to arrange them into the truck. He put Leena in the front seat, then another girl sat on her lap, then Aisha sat next to Leena, with another girl on her lap before a fifth girl was laid on the girls.

Ninety-six to go.

He put six on the roof of the car and use a rope to tie them so they would not fall because the road was not so good.

Ninety to go.

He made some of the girls sit down, then another set would sit on top of them, and so it went until he packed them in. they felt very uncomfortable but at this point, the word comfort was out the way.

Survival.

He got under the wheel and began to drive. It was a rough ride but he had to embark on it. Almost two hours later, he stopped the car.

“Everybody alight.”

The girls were glad to alight. Their bodies ached. They stretched and yawned. It was a pathetic scenario.

“You will have to walk down the road, and run into the city. I think you should go to the nearest police station. Congratulations, you are freed.”

Most of the girls burst into tears. They could not believe what he just said. They thought he was taking them to another camp, that had nice people like him.

“Who are you?” One of the girls asked.

“A worthless soul. A dead man in a living body. We do not have time. Go now!”

They kept thanking him and crying before they began to run.

Leena and Aisha did not go with them. He asked them to wait behind. This was the peak of their trust for him, they had the chance to escape but they did not. They got back into the car and he drove off.
It was while they were driving in the forest something happened. He saw the silhouette of something. He stopped and alighted. He had removed his mask.

He had said to Aisha, “I don’t know why I removed my mask in your presence but if you wish, you can describe me.”

“Never!” She said.

He walked cautiously to the image and then put on a flashlight.

He stood still and felt out of this world for a split second. He could not believe his eyes. This was more than what he had seen on his way to Harabul Kusum.
He had been driving when he saw a movement in a narrow river. He had stopped and waited.
It took no time when people emerged as they could not hold their breath any longer.
It was a man and his family members, including some neighbours hiding in the water after an attack. It was very cold and the water was cold. Even the children were forced to hide in water.

He had asked them to come out and put their hands in the air.
He wanted to be sure they were not armed. When they told him their tale, he felt more horrible. He was in a hurry to go after Leena but he could not leave them there. He had taken them to drop them at a place they could escape.

Now what he saw was worse.
It was the body of a woman on the ground. She had begun to swell up but the most astonishing thing was the infant lying beside her and suckling.
The child was naked and held on to the breast. It was obvious there was still milk. Mufty could not explain the anatomical and physiological phenomena.
He could not move and he could not remember ever feeling what he felt at that moment.

Leena had to alight and join him.

“Oh my God!” She cried.

It was Aisha who made the first move of carrying the child. Leena saw that Mufty could not move.
She had to touch him. That touch made him react in such a way that surprised them. It was like being touched with a flame from a gas pipe.
She then remembered when she lived with him. He would never allow his body come in contact with hers. There was a day she was sleeping and her skirt moved up to expose her legs.
He went bunkers. He ordered her to always have a veil on when he was around. That was when she started sleeping with a veil.
He was not just indifferent with the opposite sex, he seemed to have a phobia for them.

“I am sorry.” She apologised. “I felt you were zonked and you said they were coming.”

‘It’s okay, but please never touch me again.”

She nodded.

He bought out his phone and began to study the woman. He saw some marks on her face that made him thought she from the Kanuri people.
He put on the flashlight of the camera and took some photos of her.
He looked at the child who was very uncomfortable because he was taken away from the breast.

“Let us leave.”

They rushed back into the car and he drove off. Thirty minutes later, he pulled up the car. He seemed to know every nook and cranny of the forest.

“Wait here.” He said and alighted. He ran into the bush.

“Do you think he is taking us back?” Aisha asked.

“After everything, he would not go back himself. He is leaving and that explains why he still has us with him,” Leena said. “ I can’t believe I am going home. My parents, Adam….”

But Aisha was crying. Her son. Her son was somewhere around here.

Leena remembered and stopped talking.

Bang! Bang!

They heard series of gunshots that scared them. What a violent life they lived.
Mufty appeared with a high speed, opened the passenger’s side door and quickly dropped a boy.

He ran under the wheel and started the car engine.

“Jahl is close by.” He said as he sped off.

Aisha was shocked.
Leena collected the infant at once. The boy Mufty brought looked at Aisha and cried, “Mama!”

He embraced her and started crying.

She could not talk. She hugged him so hard Leena was scared she could crush him. Was this what was called bone crushing hug?

It was so emotional.

“I don’t know how to thank you, Ice…Mallam Mufty. I can never pay you back.”

He did not act as if he heard her as she kept thanking him and crying.

He kept driving until he got to appoint and stopped.

He removed a phone. Leena recognised it to be Bamba’s phone.

“Give me the number of one of your family members.”

Leena quickly gave him her father’s number.

“Tell him you are at Dale Junction.” He said. “He should hurry and pick you. You don’t have more than thirty minutes.”

She noded.

The line connected.

“Hello.” She heard her father’s voice. A voice she never knew she would hear again. She began to cry.

“Leena?” he recognised her voice just from the sound of her cry.

“Daddy.”

“Aeesha!”The father shouted. “I have Leena on the phone.”

“Daddy we don’t have time. We escaped. Please come and pick us at Dale Junction now.”

“Okay my baby.” Her father was sobbing.

She could hear mother say, “what did you say?” And it seemed she could not for a reply but just snatched the phone, “LeeLee?”

“Mum.”

“Ya Allah….”

Her father was on call with ATOF already.

Aisha was still with her son while Leena held the child.

“Please never lose contact with this child.” Mufty said.

“Take care of him. Even if he is taken to an orphanage, monitor him.”

She nodded.

“Wait, why do you talk like this? Are you not coming with us?”

“No.”

“Why? You can say you also escaped. No one will give you away.”

“ Thank you. If I was human and alive, I would have loved to be your friend…..”

She never expected such words from him, Mufty?

“why do you keep saying you are a dead man? Can’t you see that your heart is made of gold. You just made some goofs and you realised it.”

“I am worse than you think and I can never blend in with the society again. I can never live a normal life. This is how I will leave till I die, even though it will be in a different direction.”

“No, please. You can’t keep on like this. You can’t even go back.”

That is exactly what I am going to do. I am going back to Al-bait. I wiped out the dirt. They would not know it is me. I had it all figured out. I have an alibi. I still have a mission there.”

“Please…”

“I want you to know that you are the person who nearly made me feel like a human again. Beneath my heart is that pain, that comes like rain, and myself I disdain, Your impact on me is like breaking a spell, made me want to tell, a story that makes me yell.
I am broken, after my life was taken, by me for just a token. I listened to the devil’s melody, that flowed so steady, and until I saw no remedy.
Just leave, and get relieve and in you I believe because you have a life to retrieve.
This is the last time you will see me, but remember to pray for me, because I don’t know when it will happen to me. My regards to your family, and your fiancé and please take care of that child.”

She was now crying. She could not believe she was crying for the man who abducted her.

“Please…..”

“They are close by and you know what? Your father would report to ATOF and they would come in their readiness. They do not know if it is a hoax. Salam.”

He looked at Aisha and waved. He ran back into the bush. He had parked the car somewhere cagey. He turned and gave her a last look.

He smiled……

Mufty smiled?

She knew she would never forget that smile. She could not smile or wave back. She just cried. Immediately he left, she heard the cars coming.
It was time to go home.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Uthman51(m): 1:56am On Oct 04, 2018
you are a great writer.... make I park my lorry here....jah bless
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 7:20am On Oct 04, 2018
TWELVE

The joy of returning home was indescribable. Leena felt as if it was a dream as she stepped into her house after so many painful days.
Days of hopelessness and slavery. Taken away from your home, family, education or career, friends and dreams was something no one would ever want to experience.
It was a miracle she was not sexually molested. Most of the girls got molested. Some had children and they were still there,
The family reunion was exhilarating. Her friends and family members kept trooping in to felicitate with her,

Among the first callers was Adam, her fiancé. He had lost a moment and shed tears of joy.
So after a while, life went on. A new date was fixed for the marriage that ought to have taken place a two days before she came back.
The wedding was postponed and a new date was fixed.
Leena had a secret. The thought of Mufty was stuck with her. She could not take him off her mind.
He was a mystery and could not understand why he had a strange phobia towards women.

That was because she did not know the reason behind his phobia for women.

It started since the Beeba saga.
He had fallen off the cliff but was lucky to have held on to a rock. He had lifted himself up and survived. It was from that day he decided to dedicate the rest of his life to God.

He left Kano and moved to Maiduguri. He began to attend Mallam Muhammadu Yunus’s lectures. Muhammad Yunus was usually harsh on the government systems and condemned them vehemently.
He talked about unemployment, corruption, debauchery and said it was all caused by the Western influence.

“The white man brought education to us just to destroy our religion. He had said. “ The worst thing that has happened to us is western education. What we need a land strictly based on the Shari ’a system. If every government thief has his hands cut off, there would be less corruption. It is the system that allows men to sleep with married women…..”

And that part had hit Mufty, who was still Mangal then, like a tornado.
He began to see truth in what the Mallam said. The Mallam was using facts to deceive people and he fell for it. It happened at a time when he was desperate to serve God, seek for forgiveness and pay for his crimes.
This was how he got closer to them and became a part of them. When the Mallam was constantly arrested, he told them that they had to fight back or the voice of truth would be buried. He said there was no revolution without bloodshed.

Mufty was part of those trained as soldiers. Unknown to him, he was being led into an insurgence that would shake the world.
The relationship with Beeba made him develop a phobia for women. He got mad whenever a girl touched him mistakenly. He never got aroused by a woman, or even had the intention of getting married.

He felt he was the worst person on Earth after destroying a home. But Leena never knew any of these.
All she knew was there was something about him that had stuck to her. There was something about him that made her want to be with him. It seemed she was in love with an insurgent.

That was crazy!

Why did she crave for him? Why did she want to see those manly eyes again? Why did she just want to hear his voice again?
She felt he was a man in need of help. He had lost his mind and soul. He had no right to write himself off. She did not know what he did in the past, but there was nothing god does not forgive if you sincerely repent while you were still alive and not at the verge of death.
He saved her live and the lives of many girls. She wanted to save his. She wanted him to come back to life.
But could she do this when she may probably never see him again?
She lived with this for three months. Even as her wedding preparation went on, she only feigned to be happy. If she had to do anything for Mufty, then it had to be before she got married.

Mufty lay in his room with his hands crossed over chest when he heard the noise. He got up abruptly and went to the door. He opened the door and saw three of their men standing.

“Amir wants you now.” One of them said.

The tone of the call did not sound good. He knew sooner or later they may find out that he was no more loyal. His saving grace was his illness. He was on bed for two months and that saved him from going for any operation. They thought it was his HIV crisis.

“What is going on?” He asked.

“Amir needs you now.”

“Just a moment.”

“He said now.”

Mufty eyed the man who was talking.

“I know you are acting on orders but be careful how you talk to me.”

The man smirked.

“I would have been scared a few months ago. You have lost it Mufty. You are no more the dangerous Mufty but a soft pillow…..”

Boob!
Mufty threw a punch straight to his eye and the man yelled. Before anyone could stop him, he grabbed a short metal pole and slammed it on his head.

“Stop it!” a thick loud voice echoed.

It was Jahl.

Mufty’s eyes had gone red and vicious. The man was rolling on the ground, screaming, “my eye, my eye, my eye, my head….”

He was bleeding profusely.

Jahl smiled. This was a good sign. The violent potential was still in him. The mercilessness could be seen in his eyes.

“Ashiru, take him to the medics.” Jahl said. “Come here Mufty.”

Mufty was still breathing hard. He walked after Jahl.
Jahl stopped before the door to a room he called Palace.

“When was the last time you saw your wife?”

Mufty frowned.

“The day I went on the failed mission.”

“Hmmmm….it was you who failed but not the mission. Allah was with us and the enemy was taken but I still gave you the credit. I can see that you have bounced back. The Nigerian government knows we are serious now and the military have become more serious. But they can never win us. In fact, the military fear us. While you were down, we attacked an area in Maiduguri and we killed twelve military men. We had a one million man march through the town and they could not do shit. Can you see that god is with us?

I want to make my first video tonight and I want you to be there. No more hiding! I only fear Allah. We have established the jihad and it is high time they knew who we are. But there is a big problem. A problem that makes me doubt your loyalty and you know what disloyalty brings, right? Beheading or slaughtering.”

Mufty said nothing. There was no scintilla of fear in him. Jahl had wondered if there was anything that ever scared him. Sometimes, he felt Mufty just wanted to be killed. That was a good quality of a jihadist.

“Come inside.”

He followed Jahl inside and got a shocker.

There was no doubt, the girl tied up like an armed robber about to face a firing squad was Leena.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Richykemzy: 12:21pm On Oct 04, 2018
Awww poor Leena Interesting story!!!!
Re: The Last Insurgent by Ayemileto(m): 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2018
Wow. Nice Job OP.
Re: The Last Insurgent by Makom56(m): 4:45pm On Oct 04, 2018
nice piece of work
Re: The Last Insurgent by skubido(m): 11:22pm On Oct 04, 2018
Leena? Haaaa, how? Why?

OP tanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

With Velvet Gloves. / Your Book, Dear Ijeawele Is Dead On Arrival. Fan Tells Chimamanda On Facebook. / Debate... Female Education Is Better Than Male Education.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 249
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.