Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

The Last Insurgent - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Insurgent (27067 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Insurgent by DivneFavour(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2018
Wow....
Great story.
Re: The Last Insurgent by NaijaTushboy(m): 12:28am On Oct 12, 2018
This is one of the reasons i don't like reading your story Mr SokoDOBO

imagine a big boy like me crying just because of a story....i mean real hot tears...

How i wish u are writing 4 NOLLYWOOD, atleast they won't be acting stupid movies anymore.

MORE INSPIRATION 4 YA HEAD

3 Likes

Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 5:54am On Oct 12, 2018
MhizFavour:
I dont really know but i think u can modify/edit it and just write something else without mentioning SokoDobo . I hope this helps
Will do, thanks.
Re: The Last Insurgent by Evold: 9:29am On Oct 12, 2018
This is why I hate romance novels. I almost cried. May we stick to action please
Re: The Last Insurgent by nastynic(m): 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2018
Evold:
This is why I hate romance novels. I almost cried. May we stick to action please

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuh!
I'm with you on this lol

Ride on Sokodobo
More Cash to your account

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by tijehi(f): 2:46pm On Oct 12, 2018
Adam should please go and love Haneefa...ahn ahn, what is this expensive play biko.

Sad mood uploading.
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 3:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
NINETEEN

Mufty walked slowly but he felt as if he was just being dragged on a rough floor. Each step came with a pain and discomfort. He could feel something drifting out him, and the sun seemed to be losing its light, the clear weather looked foggy and nothing seemed to be right.
He could literarily feel the increased distance between his heart and hers.
He wanted to think straight but nothing seemed straight. He did what he felt was right but he knew he would need divine intervention to get over this.
He knew he loved Leena but he never knew how much he loved her until this moment. He just lost her and she was everything. That meant he just lost everything.
This was the girl Allah used to pull him out of darkness. A girl who made him felt life again. A girl he knew he would never forget.
What was left? Should he go back to the camp?
No!
He could not let this make him derail. This was a test from Allah. He was done with that life and that was forever.
But the truth was he was lost. He did not know where to go or what to do. With her, ha began to make plans for a better future. He wanted to be normal again. She was a driving force behind that. Now he was completely shattered.
He was going away forever. He may never come to Maiduguri again. He just wanted to be far.

But he was glad she had a nice guy. He saw that Adam was capable of keeping her happy. He just wanted the best for her because that was what she deserved.

“What is wrong with you?” Someone shouted. It was only then Mufty realised that he had bumped into a girl.

“I am sorry. Please forgive me.” He apologised.

“Get out, idiot! Pervert! That is how they behave.” She hissed and walked away hissing.

Only if she knew who she was insulting. If it was a few months ago she had done this, she would have known what it meant to mess with him. But Mufty did not see to hear her insults.
Instead, he found himself crying. He could not believe it. He could not stop himself. He began to use his handkerchief to wipe off his tears.

Leena was watching all of these. When she saw him crying, she turned and immediately stopped looking at him, her eyes filled with tears.
Adam was behind her.

“Please don’t be angry.” She said. “I am human. I must feel emotional.”

“I understand Leena. He said he put himself in my shoes. I also did the same. I can imagine what he is going through. If I meet a girl, who tells me she has no one, and I begin to plan a life with her, and this comes up, I would feel sad. He will get over it insha Allah. You will do the same and we will all be fine. He is a nice guy and I know Allah will be with him. I think we have to leave.”

Mufty arrived his apartment a few minutes later. He packed his few clothes into a bag, went and opened the backyard and removed from the trashcan a thick polyethylene bag. That was where he hid his money.
He looked round and felt he did not need to move anything else. He thought of the guns he buried ad shrugged.
He was not going to bother about that now. All he wanted was to leave at this very moment.
He was not even going to tell the landlord he was leaving. He paid for a year. He may call him later.
He was in tears as he packed up. When he finished and locked the door, he wiped off his tears and began to pray.
He walked briskly to the main road. There was a new law banning bikes in the town due to insurgency. He had to want for a cab.

As a cab stopped, he got in and the cab left. He could imagine Leena sitting beside him, as they talked and laughed. Her voice filled his head, and the image of her beautiful face was all over the city.
He saw her on billboards, signposts, houses, streets and everywhere.
Oh no!
He could not handle this. He had to pray about it. He closed his eyes and tried to calm down.
He got to the car park and bought a ticket. He was going back to Kano.
He still had no plan on what to do with his life now. All he wanted was to leave Maiduguri.
After a short wait, the car was finally set. He got into the car and closed his eyes while his head rested on the headrest.
That was it.

“I hope everyone is set?” The driver asked.

“There is a man who went to buy recharge card…okay, here he comes.”

The man came and the driver got under the wheel. He started the car engine, and the car began to move.

It was at that time someone came running and knocking at the car window.

“Who is that?” The driver asked angrily.

Mufty opened his eyes to see the person knocking. He was shocked to see Adam.

What was going on?

“Please stop!” Mufty said.

“What? I am going to Kano and coming back today. What is it now?” The driver shouted.

Mufty was just trying to calm down and integrate. He was not used to people talking to him like that.

“Please alight.” Adam said. “I need to talk to you.”

“What? Who would wait for you?” Another passenger said.

Two other passengers began to complain.

“I will alight.” Mufty said. “You guys can leave.”

“Enhhh! I swear to God! I swear to the Almighty God, If I refund your money, let thunder strike me. Let my car crash on the way. May God punish me if I give you a naira! Haba! I am not a bastard. After waiting for …..”

Mufty smiled and alighted.

“Oya, let us go, driver.” A passenger said.

“There is one more person. Let me see If they will give me…..”

“Give you what?” A passenger said. “Did you refund his money? I beg move the car. The car is filled jooh!”

“I was just kidding.” The driver said.

“Tell that to the birds.” Another man said.

Mufty could not understand what was going on. Adam kept walking towards his car.

“I am sorry.” Adam said. “My car is over there. I need you to do me a favour.”

“Okay. It’s nothing. I just hope it is not beyond my power.”

“I hope so too.”

They walk to his car and they got in. Mufty saw Adam looking around. It was at that time Mufty saw Leena coming out of a shop. It seemed she went to buy recharge card.

What was going on?

She came back and sat behind them without a word to Mufty.

“I am sorry for delaying you.” Adam began. “There was something else I did not tell you. But you had gone before I decide to tell you. Leena does not know what I wanted to say. I just said there is one more thing. We went to your house but you were not around.
I don’t know how she knew you were leaving town but she said we should come to this park where cars that go to kano are easily gotten.
Your phone was switched off. Let me not talk too much and go straight to the point. Our wedding is around the corner.
I feel bad that you want to leave. But that is not the point now.
After everything, I forgave her and understood it better. I also made a lot of observation during our short conversation.
You have a good and strong heart. I give that to you. Leena apologised and agree to marry me. She kept to her promise. I was able to get her back to me and make you leave but…will I be able to make her forget you?
Did you know that she begged me to let her look at you for the last time? Did you know that she agreed to marry me because you asked her to? She even asked me to forgive her and I knew she was only obeying you. Leena will never cheat on me when I marry her and you will never cheat me with her but guess what, I will always live with it that my wife is thinking of another man or missing him even when she hides it.
I have self-pride and when I discover that my girl is in love with someone else, I let her go. Leena told me that she loves you. I saw you crying bro. I think you guys are made for each other. I think there is that chemistry between you that is from above.
All these summed up to make me fall out of love with her. The good thing is that she did not break her promise, she did not refuse to marry me and you did not try to take her away from me. No one to blame. If there is anything to blame, it is your hearts and that is not your fault.
I know what love is. I decided to stop the marriage and look make sure you don’t go. I leave her for you.”

Leena broke into tears. She could not believe this. Adam was something else. She least expected this. Did he just say she could be with the love of her life? Did he just bring her back to life? Was this for real?

Mufty was too shock to talk. He just sat still.

“But there is a problem.” Adam said. “This remains our secret. It is not going to be easy announcing the break-up and no one would like to take the blame. So we got our parents to reckon with. We have to wait to figure out something.”

Mufty still said nothing. He was just speechless. He was even feeling ashamed to look at Leena or talk to her in presence of Adam.

“And one more thing…”He turned at Leena. “I hope it not too early to say this, sis….”He smiled, “I call you sis because that is what you are now to me and you are going to play that role. Do you know this part where your elder brother calls you and start asking about your friend? And he buys you something, or agree to your demands because he likes your friend?
Okay, I still want to get married and I want to ask Haneefa out. If it fails, which will definitely happen, because she would think I am crazy, you will have to come in. I promise you ice-cream.”

She forced a smile. That would be nice. Haneefa was a nice girl and she wanted Adam to get the best too. The problem was how to get Haneefa to agree.

“You made the right choice.”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by Evold: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2018
Thanks for the update. The tears have reduced now
Re: The Last Insurgent by Ann2012(f): 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2018
A man like Adam is rare

Thanks for the update
Re: The Last Insurgent by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
tijehi:
Adam should please go and love Haneefa...ahn ahn, what is this expensive play biko.

Sad mood uploading.
Don't tell me, Ije, that you haven't begun writing stories.
Re: The Last Insurgent by tijehi(f): 9:26pm On Oct 12, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Don't tell me, Ije, that you haven't begun writing stories.

grin, me write story ke?

Abeg, my own is to read o. I don't have that strength biko. I would faint before I finish chapter 1.
Re: The Last Insurgent by skubido(m): 11:09pm On Oct 12, 2018
Ann2012:
A man like Adam is rare

Thanks for the update

Like seriously,,, Respect,,,

OP tanks

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by Harzeezh123: 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
am a muslim ni am a YORUBA guy
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 3:31pm On Oct 13, 2018
Haneefa crinkled her face, finding it hard to believe.

“Are you kidding me?” She said. “You mean you are aware that he has been asking me out?”
Leena nodded.

“Adam is not the type of guy that would date his fiancée’s friend. He is a complete gentleman and it a two sided thing. Adam is one of the most special people to me and I want the best for him. You are my best friend and I want the best for you too. I know both of you, and you guys know each other. This would just be perfect.”

“I still find it hard to believe. Wait! You met a new guy and you never told me?”

“Haneefa, you are a friend who would tell me the truth to my face and I knew you would never support the relationship and you know what? Even though you are naughty, your opinion matters a lot to me. I am sorry about that. Okay, beat me later but I want us to talk about Adam now.”

“This is crazy! Do you think I will ever feel comfortable with this? He was your fiancée and you are best friend. It is just crazy! What are we going to tell the world? What will you tell your parents, what will he tell his and do I start telling my parents this?”

“We will figure that out.”

“Have you thought of something else? What if I don’t want to be a replacement? He is just coming for me because he lost you.”

Leena smiled.

“Women and pride. Mark this, he did not lose me. He let me go and why do you think he is not broken? Because he found something better. He talked about you right from the moment we broke up. You are what Allah used to reward him for his benevolence.”

“Lick my boots.”

“I am not. Bestie, there is something else I never told you.”

“What?”

“A big secret and I will reveal it today.”

“Hmmm?”

“The first day I introduced Adam to you, I felt jealous.”

“Why?”

“Because I just saw the compatibility between you guys which none of you noticed. There is that thing between you guys that I have always seen. Maybe you are made for each other.
When he told me that he wants you, I realised that I was right. Do not get me wrong, Adam never cheated on me. He is a nice guy and I believe you came on his mind when he realised that my heart has gone far away from him.”

Haneefa was confused. She had never dreamt of this. If Adam was in love with her, it meant he wanted to get married to her and that should be soon.
How was this going to work out?

“I will think about it. I want to go home.”

“Adam is coming to pick you. He is close by. He sent me a text message.”

Haneefa sighed.

“I really don’t know what to say or think right now. It’s just surreal.”

“I know….oops! He is calling. I think he is around.”

Haneefa felt her heart thumbing. It was like she had never met him. There was one question she had been avoiding to ask herself: did she feel anything for him?

“So?”

“You said you wanted to go home. Now let me have the money you would have used for keke since you are going for a ride.”

“I guess you are strong. Pin me down and collect it, naughty girl.”

Immediately Haneefa saw Adam leaning on his car, she became nervous. What was wrong? It was the same Adam. Why was she feeling like this now?

“Adam.” She managed to say.

He smiled.

“Hanny, you are so majestic.”

“Thank you for the flatter.”

“How dare I flatter you? You know you are. Where is your friend?”

Oh no! This was strange.

“She only stopped by the door. She is inside.”

“Oh, that’s cool. Shall we?”

He opened the door for her.

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I should give you what you deserve.”

“Let someone see you and hear the interpretation.” She said and got inside the car. He closed the door and bent over to say, “what would they say?”

“You are henpecked. You know it not common here to do that for a woman.”

“Even over there, it’s not everyone who does it but I don’t care what they will say. I don’t joke with my duties.”

She pouted.

“Adam get inside the car and let us move.”

He giggled and then got inside the car. He started driving.

“So she knew all these while. You guys are crazy.” She said.

“She did. I guess you thought I was crazy.”

“I did and still don’t know if I have changed my mind.”

“Why?”

“Everything. Have you guys thought about it. What are we….”

“Going to tell our parents.” He completed . “I know and we thought about it. I think what is most important is what you feel about me. It is I and you that will live together. If that part if settled, we will figure out a way.”

She was looking out through the window.

“I don’t know what to say about that.”

“Is it about your parents?”

“It is about a whole lot of things. Adam, you guys took me unawares and I am just so confused.”

They arrived her house a few minutes later. He parked the car in front of her house.

“Hanny,” he called softly, “you are the reason I am still strong. The reason I am not hurt and had the heart to let Leena go. If it was not for you, I would have been down. Do you think it is nothing? It means you have the power to protect my heart, keep me immunized and cured. There is something about you that makes me feel exhilarated. All I want is your heart and soul. That means I want all of you. I don’t know the words to use in telling you how I feel about you right now. But hope is one of them, I see love, joy, friend, wife and goodness. But if you don’t feel anything for me, then we can let it go. I would not want to be with a woman who is not in love with me.”

Haneefa was silent for a while.

“Adam it is just kind of strange. I have looked upon you as my best friends fiancé for long and this happens now. I still feel like I am betraying her.”

“But you know you are not. I and Leena can never be together again after what happened eve if you reject me.”

She smiled.

“We should think of what to tell our parents. The three of us.”

“That depends on your acceptance status.”

“You said the first thing is for me to accept it or not. Now that I talk about our parents, don’t you read between the lines?”

He smiled.

“I did but we are adults. I want to hear it. I want it to resonate with me, send me into reveries. Do you accept me as your fiancé? A man that you will want to share your life with.”

“You are a stubborn guy.” She smiled. “Yes, Adam. I do.”

“I also do. I may kiss the bride.”

“What?” She said and they laughed.

Haneefa allowed the joy to erupt inside her. She now let it flow. Yes, he was right. She had always liked him and wished Farouq was like him.
But Farouq was nothing like him. She had prayed for someone like him, and Allah answered her prayer by giving her him.

“I have to go, Adam.”

“Ouuch! That hurts but we have no choice. Just one more thing…..I want us to get married as soon as possible. I am going to pray about it. Do the same. I want to take you away from this house.”

She smiled, blushed and went out.

“Take care.” She said.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He left.

She was not aware that her mother was watching her from a window upstairs.

“Was that not Adam?” Jamila, her mother asked immediately she entered the house.

Haneefa flinched.

“Yes.”

“Adam, Leena’s fiance?”

“Yes, Mama.”

“Why has he been coming here frequently? Plus, the way you acted today is fishy. Do you know what you are doing?”

“I know.”

“Leena is your friend.”

“I know. I am not doing anything wrong.”

“You are doing everything wrong. I am not a baby. I saw you guys. There was nothing platonic about your gestures. You cannot make me believe that there is nothing between you two.”

Haneefa said nothing.

“Are you dating your friend’s fiance?”

Haneefa shook her head. “No.”

“Tell me what is going on now.”

“We – We are in a relationship.”

“Subahanallah! What kind of relationship? If it is not getting married, what is it all about? Haneefa! I am disappointed.”

“It is not what you think…”

“Tell me what I don’t know. I know he and Leena are getting married. I know Leena is your childhood friend. I know both of their parents. I also know that you are now dating the same guy. What else do you want me to know?”

“They- they broke up.”

“What? When, how, why? But Maman Leena and I talked yesterday. The wedding plan is still on.”

“I don’t think they have known.”

“What are you talking about. Even if Leena and Adam breakup without telling anyone, is it you, her friend that would take over? Is it morally right?”

“Leena is aware.”

“None of these makes sense to me. I am going right now to tell your father. No! This is crazy! And we must tell her parents.”

She left the room in a confused state.

2 Likes

Re: The Last Insurgent by Divineroyalty(f): 6:03pm On Oct 13, 2018
Am I the only one that notices the twist that comes with all sokodobo's stories
The guy is just too good.
Re: The Last Insurgent by headbasher96(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2018
nice piece u made my day
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 12:35am On Oct 14, 2018
Alhaji Abdulsalam paced up and down, his hands behind his back. His wife, Sadiya sat with her palm on her cheek.
Adam was sitting on the floor with his head bowed.

“Adamu, what are you saying? What kind of game are you playing? You left your fiancée for her friend? Just some weeks to the wedding?”

“It is not what you think.”

“Shut up! You will not destroy my reputation. I know Alhaji Idris. You will not cause a rift between us. Get ready, we are going there right now. I have been asking you why you called off the wedding but you keep prevaricating.”

“Baba….”

Alhaji Abdulsalam had dialled a number already. He called Alhaji idris. After salutation, he said, “are you at home?.....okay, we are on our way insha Allah.”

“I guess it is about these children.” Alhaji Idris said. “I just heard about it now.”

“I don’t know if Leena gave you a reason. This boy is not talking.”

“Same thing here. She has not said anything reasonable.”

“We are on our way insha Allah.”

At that same moment, Haneefa’s parents, and Hannefa were on their way to Leena’s house.

Forty five minutes later, they were all gathered in Idris’ living room: Leena, her parents, Haneefa, her parents, Adam and his parents.

The children all look confused but the parents seemed to be more confused. Leena was the most scared.

“Let us pray.” Idris said.

1 Like

Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 7:51am On Oct 14, 2018
TWENTY

“I appreciate this gathering.” Idris said after the prayer. “I was seriously confused when my wife met me with the shocking news. I could not understand what Leena was saying. But I am glad that the three of them are here. I can see that Alhaji Abdul-Salam and Mallam Kabir are also confused. I think the people that are in a better position to give an explanation are the kids.
I know Adam sought the hand of Leena in marriage and it was granted. If not for the unfortunate incident that happened some months ago, Leena should have been in her matrimonial home by now.
But it was only postponed and not cancelled and up till afternoon, the mother was still making arrangements for the wedding.”

“It is the same with his mother.” Abdul-Salam said.

“When Leena was forced to admit that she and Adam had broken up and decided on their own to cancel the wedding, without informing us, I did not know what to think about it. Adam….”

“Na’am.” Adam answered.

“Is it true that you and Leena decided to cancel the wedding?”

“Hmmm….we did not actually decide to….”

“Yes or no, Adamu.” His father said .

“Take it easy Alhaji.” Kabir said with a slight smile.

“Yes.” Adam said.

“Is it true that you and Haneefa are into a relationship?”

“By the grace of Allah.”

The three men shook their heads as if they had planned it. Ameena pouted.

“Leena…” Idris called.

“Na’am.”

“Haneefa has being more of a sister than a friend. Ordinarily, even if you and Adam had broken up, it would be fishy for he and her to get into a relationship. Are you aware that they are into a relationship?”

“Yes. She refused at first and reported Adam to me. She felt it was wrong but I convinced her.”

The parents seemed to be more confused.

“Are you children okay?” Idris asked. “You mean you facilitated the relationship?”

“Yes, sir.” Leena replied.

“That means you and Adam planned it. He must have informed you before he asked for her hand in marriage.”

She nodded.

“These analogue parents sitting here before you digital children deserve an explanation because it does not add up. Maybe it is one of the trending digital world relationships which we are too obsolete to understand.” Idris said and the other men chuckled.

“It is true.” Abdul-Salam said. “They say we are analogue. We don’t know what is up.”

“They call it what’s up.” Kabir said. “They don’t even salute with sallama anymore. You hear, Babs, what’s up; sometimes they salute with insults: Ke shegiya, yar banza kina ina (you bastard, useless girl where are you)?”

“It is true.” Idris concurred. “We are listening.”

“In the name of Allah, The most Gracious, and The most Merciful.” Adam began, “May the blessing of Allah be upon the Holy Prophet SAW, his household, companions and the ummah as a whole. I seek refuge with Allah from shaytan. There is power….”

“Kai Adamu! Do not use prayers to prevaricate. Ameen. We started this meeting with prayers. Start talking.” His father said.

“It was- was a consensus between I an Leena to annul the wedding. It was a mutual agreement and we thought Hanny- SubahanAllah! Hannefa was a very good girl, so we decided to marry her.”

“Okay, both of you will marry her, ko?” Abdul-Salam said sarcastically.

“No. I meant we decided that I should marry her.” Adam said, still bowing his head.

“Why did you and Leena decide to call off the wedding?” Kabir asked.

“Em- Em..it was ….”

Leena found her heart beating rapidly. It was here. How on Earth would she explain that? Would Adam reveal it?

“We had dreams which corresponded so we decided to follow our dreams.”

“What is he saying?” Abdul-Salam said.

“We both had dreams….” Adam tried to repeat himself.

“We heard that.” His father said. “What do you mean by dreams? You mean you kids just had a dream, net and said, we should split because of the dreams? What kind of dreams are they? Tell us, Adamu the dreamer.”

“And Leena the dreamer.” Idris added.

“The prophet SAW said if we experience a good dream, we should praise Allah and tell someone we love but if it is a bad dream, we should turn our heads to the left and spit air thrice while we seek refuge with Him and never tell anyone.”

“That is an authentic hadith Mallam Adamu.” Said Abdul-Salam. “And the holy Prophet also said if anyone lies about a dream, about seeing him in particular, the person deserves hell. You did not claim to see him but if you are lying about the dream, you know the rest.”

Adam felt uncomfortable.

“I meant dream and not the dream of a dream like the dream you mean.”

“Explain.”

“I meant dreams like a vision, mission, or wishes.”

“Can you hear yourself?” His father said. “Do you make any sense to yourself? It is confirmed that you make no sense to us.”

“I and Leena decided that we don’t want to be with each other.” He said firmly, “because of reasons we both agree on and promised to keep it confidential.”

“Did she do something wrong?” Idris asked.

“Wallahi Leena is a good girl. If there had been a problem, we would not have been so cordial to even plan to get me a fiancée. It shows that we are still very close. It’s just that she is more of a sister to me now.”

“Did he offend you, Leena?” Idris asked.

“Wallahi Adam is one of the best people in my life. If I say there is a single way he hurt me, Allah will punish me. I see him like my blood and a favourite brother.”

There was a few seconds of silence. It seemed these kids were not ready to open up.

“Leena, Adam and Haneefa are mine.” Idris said. “I never used to look at Adam as a son-in-law but as a son. He is a very nice boy. But no matter what we feel, it is imperative that we put into consideration that these kids of ours are adults. Leena is twenty-four. Adam is almost thirty. And Haneefa is Leena’s age mate. I am glad that Leena and Adam admitted that their decision was not out a rift. No matter what the reason is, they don’t want to be together and they are the once that will live together if they get married.
I suggest that we will not force them. Haneefa….”

“Na’am.”

“Do you accept Adam as your suitor?” Idris asked.

Hanefa bowed her head in shame.

“Speak.” Her father asked.

She nodded.

“ I am about to say something which I will say because I feel you are all my kids. We know all of you. There was a time some people thought Haneefa and Leena were unidentical twins because I used to go out with them. Adam has become my son and the bond will never be broken.
I want to seek for the hand of Haneefa in marriage on behalf of Adam. If it was possible, I should have doubled as the waliy and the wakil.”

The parents chuckled.

“Let me represent you.” Kabir said with a smile. “Permission granted.”

“Alhamdulillah.” Idris said.

The tension in the room began to ease but there was something on Ameena’s mind. If Leena was not going to marry Adam, then what next?

“Leena,” Kabir called.

“Na’am.”

“Don’t you want to get married?”

“I do sir.” She replied with her head bowed in shame.

“Have you found a suitor.”

She hesitated.

She nodded.

“Hmmm….and you never told us.” Idris said.

“We were scared of your reactions.” Adam said quickly.

“Who asked you to speak?” Abdul-Salam said.

“Masha Allah. I think we will like to meet him.” Kabir said. “ If he okay with us, then I suggest you all should get married the same day.”

Haneefa could not believe this. She woke up this morning without a suitor. Her so-called fiancé was not serious. Now she had Adam and it had been approved.
This is a shame to all those girls who mock girls for praying for a good husband during tahajud. If a girl did not pray for a good husband, what did they want her to do?

This was like a dream.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Last Insurgent by Evold: 10:38am On Oct 14, 2018
I like the twist but I see manga being rejected
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 4:52pm On Oct 14, 2018
Leena was excited that this got over in a manner they had not expected. She hoped Mufty would pass the test. And who said Adam was not her favourite brother? He would always be a darling. As for the blabbers, and funny things he said, they would laugh over it later. Dreams of vision and mission.

Mufty had a gift. He was appealing and always won the hearts of many. The day he was invited to the house, Leena had been very scared. This was Iceman. She did not know how he was going to behave.
But Mufty was completely changed. She saw a side of him she had never seen. The first time she knew he was not the devil he took himself for was the day they found the infant. It was later she realised that he had cried.

Then the day he thought he had lost her. He was so broken he wept and did not even respond or react to the lady that kept insulting him.
His visit to the house revealed a shy, and well-mannered man. She was happy when her mother said she like him. But it was imperative that they must know about his background.

Mufty had traveled to Kano to reunite with his family members. They thought he was dead and one of the uncles had taken over the house.
He rented it out. So he offered Mufty five million Naira for the house. Mufty knew the house was worth about seven million naira but he obliged and collected the money. He did not want any trouble, plus he needed them now.
Idris called some people in Kano and asked them to find out about him. They said they had not seen him in years but what they knew of him was good.
He worked had to take care of his ailing mother and did that until she died. He was smart, reserved had a good relationship with the neighbours.

Leena was happy that they did not try to find out where he was throughout those years. Now he had five million naira. He had started processing the court processes to recover his CV.
He knew the money was not enough to star business and get married.
But if they really wanted the wedding to be soon, then he had to use it for the wedding, rent a house and then look for a job. This was not going to be easy.

A few weeks later, there was a formal introduction and he began to forget his past.
After a long struggle, he got his credentials and started looking for a job. All these while, he refused to touch the money he got from insurgency.
In fact, he began to forget his past and felt so new. Due to the insurgency, many people began to relocate, leaving Maiduguri.
This was an opportunity for Mufty. He got a job and the salary was good.
Everything was perfectly okay. Wedding plans began and it was all good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Last Insurgent by khaifa(f): 6:08pm On Oct 14, 2018
Well done
Well done.....
This is sooooo interesting!!
Re: The Last Insurgent by tijehi(f): 8:06pm On Oct 14, 2018
Ohhhh, iceman....Jahl is on his way....ohhhh

One of my visions though
Re: The Last Insurgent by SokoDobo: 10:12am On Oct 15, 2018
“She is getting married to someone else.” Derrick said. “Not the guy you thought.”

Kamal frowned.

“Not Adam?”

Derrick nodded.

They have being investigating. There is a new theory about the man with the mask every girl who escaped that day was talking about. They suspected the man to be part of them but fell apart or had a new sect. They dug into Jahl’s past. He was an electrician and follower of their former leader. He abandoned his family and vanished, saying he was going to work for God.
Getting Jahl was not going to be easy but they felt they should find out who the man with the mask was.

“I want to know why he did not let Leena go with the other girls. I want to know who is getting married to her.”

“That is an interesting one. He is called Muhammad Manga. He just got a job with Guttez Electrical Company. It is a German company and there is something interesting about him.”

“What?”

“He just recovered his credentials which got missing five about five years ago.”

“You mean he did not try to recover it all these years?”

“The court records did not show that.”

“What do you think?”

“A lot of the insurgents tore their certificates back then. Why did it take him so long? Did he feel a sudden need for it? Did he not need it all these while?”

“I get it. Maybe he found something that made him need it now. Something like a wife.”

“Just a guess.”

“We need to find out more about him.”

“We tried.” Derrick said. “He is a native of Kano. He lived and worked there until he disappeared.”

“Disappeared?”

“Well, he was fired after he was kidnapped along with a colleague. The boss did not like them so he took a shot at them. The lady got another job but he never got a job.”

“Do you know where the lady is now?”

“She got divorced for undisclosed reasons. The husband took custody of the children. She left the country.”

“What about Manga?”

“A vacuum is created. Not seen since 2007 and just appeared here to start a job and get married….to Leena.”

“Leena who ought to have been married to Adam.”

“He is getting married to her best friend.”

“What?”

“And Leena is cool with it. In fact, they remain best of friends with both Adam and The girl. From what I hear, they would get married the same day.’

“What is going on? Okay, I want us to find out more about Manga.”

“Yes, but with tactics. We have nothing on him now.”

“I know right.” Kamal rubbed his face. “I will handle him. When is the wedding taking place?”

“Friday. Just two days from now.”

“I guess they have a new guest.”

Adam had built his house and it was magnificent. Haneefa was excited and exhilarated. Mufty could not afford to build a house but was given an official quarters which was a duplex.
There were two bedrooms and a living-room upstairs, two bedrooms and a large living-room downstairs, three toilets, a kitchenette, a storeroom, a laundry and a courtyard.
This house could have cost him over a million naira to rent. For the first time, he appreciated the culture of having girls bring furniture to the house because he could not afford them. He had just five million naira. If he had rented the house and furnished it, what would be left to do other things?

But he bought some gadgets, and fairly furnished the living-room upstairs.
Leena was the only daughter and the mother would not let her only daughter go like that. A lot of money was spent on her furniture, utensils, and other household items.
Leena, her mother and two of her friends had gone to inspect the house. They were impressed. Manga had repainted it. He used stucco and satin to cover the emulsion paint that was used before. The front was painted with Trabachino.

Leena loved the house. The estate had Nigerians and Germans as the main occupants. It was just two more days to be with the love of her life.
Later in the evening, Manga went to her house. He had been given an official car which was a Toyota Camry. He had not bought a car yet.
That was not on his top list of scale of preference. He wanted the wedding to be relatively okay, and now that he had a job, he could take care of her and buy a car later. Besides, the official car had no company name written o it.
He remembered an hadith (sayings of the prophet) that said, if you get the chance of acquiring something through haram (forbidden) and leave it for the fear of Allah, you would get it through halal (lawful).

He had the chance of sleeping with her in the camp, in the name of an invalid marriage.
But he desisted. Now, she was going to be his; given to him by Allah with the consent and approval of her parents.

“I love the house.” She said.

“You amaze me. Adam built a mansion but you still feel very happy with an official quarters.”

“I forbid you to say that again. I do not compare. I don’t care where we live so far it is with you. Besides, that is a duplex dude. Who said I was looking for a readymade man? I want us to grow together. A humble beginning, it is called.”

“I am very lucky, Leena. I am sorry I am not going to call you any pet name because I feel your name is the sweetest in the world. I so love the name.”

“Awwnn, thank you. That reminds me, as a traditional northern girl, I have to stop calling you Manga.”

“You just did.”

“Manga, Manga, Manga, Manga, Manga….”

“What is happening here?”

“I have two more days to enjoy calling you that. Let me not waste any second.”

He laughed.

“I don’t mind if you call me by my name.”

“I can’t.”

“So what is my new name?”

“Have you bought a ram? We have to organize a naming ceremony, so I won’t let that out now.”

“Hmm….I will wait.”

“You got no choice.”

“Leena.”

“Na’am.” She said and laughed.

“What is funny?”

“The way you called reminded me of the day the parents gathered the children.”

Mufty laughed.

“They will be like, Leena, and I will be like, na’am. My heart will be thumbing. I wish you were there. It was Adam I pitied most, plus his father was the most harsh. He began by praying for Africa. The guy was ready to start a sermon when the father cut in, said ameen, and asked him to talk.”

“Nah! Thank God I was not there. Six parents in a conference, phew!”

“You called me….”

“Yeah. I just wanted to ask if this is all for real? I mean we are just two days away from our day.”

“That is the same thing Haneefa has been asking me. The problem is I feel the same way. It is even worse now that people have started coming. And I am like, is this real? I’m I really getting married?”

“You are a blessing to me. You are a cleanser, making my heart and soul pure.”

“You came to open the vista of love to me. You showed me what real happiness means. I just hope we live happily.”

“Peace be upon you.” A new voice emerged.

Mufty turned to see Captain Kamal, dressed in mufti.

“I guess this is your wonderful bridegroom.” He said with a smile.

Mufti recognised him, and his professionalism told him this was not just a courtesy visit.

“Yes, Uncle Kamal.” Leena said.

Kamal offered a hand and Mufty shook it.

“I am glad to meet you. I am Kamal.”

“Glad to meet you too.” Mufty lied. “Muhammad Manga.”

The two men looked at each other.

“I came to see your father. I am angry I was not invited.” He said.

“That is one thing with such things. You will always offend some people. On behalf of the Idris family, I apologise.”

“It is okay.”

“How is the baby doing?”

“He is fine.”

“Good. Can you please tell them that I am around?”

“Sure.” She said. “Come with me.”

“No. Just go tell them first. He may be busy.”

She left and went in.

Mufty was left with Kamal.

6 Likes

Re: The Last Insurgent by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 15, 2018
Wow!! Nice one dear
Re: The Last Insurgent by Born2Breed(f): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2018
SokoDobo:

“She is getting married to someone else.” Derrick said. “Not the guy you thought.”

Kamal frowned.
Mufty was left with Kamal.

More pls...
Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2018
Really happy for Manga. His life has truly turned around.
Re: The Last Insurgent by excelmerry: 1:52pm On Oct 15, 2018
Kamal is just doing his job. With the wealth of information Manga has on the insurgents, he'll be an asset to the ATOF. I only hope he's not made to pay for his past misdeeds while he was astray.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

With Velvet Gloves. / Your Book, Dear Ijeawele Is Dead On Arrival. Fan Tells Chimamanda On Facebook. / Diary Of A Playboy (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.