Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study (6382 Views)

How Nigerians, Others React To 'meeting Dec Deadline Target' Goof By Lai Muhamed / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 / Why Nigerians, others have Low IQ!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Jul 09, 2010
deor03:

If TOEFL is a Test of IQ ,
grin grin grin
So, in your example there, are my to assume you are one of those who believe in the suggestion that ability to commit crime, such as 419, is indication of high IQ?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So, in your example there, are my to assume you are one of those who believe in the suggestion that ability to commit crime, such as 419, is indication of high IQ?

and you believe uneducated people are not intelligent abi because they don't have formal education ?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

and you believe uneducated people are not intelligent abi because they don't have formal education ?

I never once POSTED the above to be the case. May I suggest you desist from taking this as a DIRECT attack on your personhood. It helps you better JUDGE the situation!!!
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Katsumoto: 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ haha

Katsumoto lol, I was giving an example. You could have a higher cognitive ability, I dont know. My point is that cognitive test tell more than knowledge based tests. The TOEFL is a knowledge based test, and so is WAEC. Trust Nigerians we do well in knowledge based test- isn't it just sitting down and cramming?

Just messing with you.  grin grin grin grin

Can't take offence to that; I have my IQ scores to fend off any attacks.  lol
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by redsun(m): 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2010
Language is the pedigree of a people.A language that is not developing means a dead language which invariably means a dead culture,dead intuitions,dead minds and reasonings.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by redsun(m): 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Language is the pedigree of a people.A language that is not developing means a dead language which invariably means a dead culture,dead intuitions,dead minds and reasonings.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by redsun(m): 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I never once POSTED the above to be the case. May I suggest you desist from taking this as a DIRECT attack on your personhood. It helps you better JUDGE the situation!!!
personal how ? The report didnt talk about TOEFL  until it was offered as a reference.the issue poined out from the research is malaria and other diseases are responsible for the low IQ.isnt that too personal an attack on nigerians LIVING IN Nigeria ?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

personal how ? The report didnt talk about TOEFL until it was offered as a reference.the issue poined out from the research is malaria and other diseases are responsible for the low IQ.isnt that too personal an attack on nigerians LIVING IN Nigeria ?
Do you have proof that the average IQ of Nigerians living in Nigeria is not low then? I mean if you do, please present it, and maybe we can reasonably fight this. This is NOT the only report that has made such a claim.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations#National_IQ_estimates
***remember to check the references

However, if all you are going to do is fight it with BASELESS conjecture, I say you stop taking it personal!
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by proudly9ja(m): 3:37pm On Jul 09, 2010
At first I was going to go against the report and throw it into the rubbish bin but after reading some of the posts on this thread, I'm sorry but I doubt if I have a case anymore.

First and foremost, when people come up with results from research conducted, you don't just come out and say 'oh its rubbish!' if you do not have your own facts. Some people here even resorted to correcting grammatical errors just to show they have higher IQ when many professors in UK and US Universities (English speaking countries) cannot say three sentences in English without making an error.

For those who think the report is wrong, can you please tell us why or when you conducted your own report or if there's a counter result from another research? Il sure love to see.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Cohomology: 4:05pm On Jul 09, 2010
9jaganja:
You are being anti bloody revolution on another thread but your post here is contradictory. We vote, it doesn't count. We yell, they don't listen. Anyone with average IQ will know the next step is a bloody revolution. We didn't reward those who impoverish us, they impoverish us by rewarding themselves greedily. We didn't allow them to rule, they are selected no voted. So really get your facts right next time.

Don't conflate differing issues too quickly. I've not supported bloody revolution here either.

Your comment above is truly ridiculous! Who are "they"? Canadians? LOL!

Those "they" you keep referring to are, inasmuch as you may not like the simple truth, Nigerians!

So, Nigerians (your "they"s) are the ones responsible for the failure of Nigeria.

If the plausible assumption is made that "Nigerians generally want Nigeria to develop", then we're doing a terrible job - all of us, including our cousins in Abuja; the thieves that sit down and loot the treasury at the speed of light.

So, if we are failures in moving Nigeria forward, given the stated assumption above, then possible explanations are that: we've not figured out how to develop; we're slow in figuring it out; we're not smart enough to figure it out; we allow a tiny fraction of the population to derail our goal of development; etc.

Whatever it is, the collective view of Nigerians doesn't look good.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by deor03(m): 4:11pm On Jul 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No, but in most cases, It shows that the 419 might not just be of higher IQ that the duped.

However, In cases where the above does not hold ; they end up in 419eater.com
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by deor03(m): 4:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
But on a serious note,

Benchmarking intelligence to a particular environment is very subjective.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2010
deor03:

But on a serious note,

Ok, so how would you rather it be done ? A specific test for each village/hamlet/community in the world?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by proudly9ja(m): 4:47pm On Jul 09, 2010
deor03:

But on a serious note,

But you see, that's the problem. From what I have read, it hasn't been benchmarked to a particular environment for no reason. They have attached it to prevalence of diseases, etc in these environments. It has nothing to do with Nigeria or no Nigeria but has everything to do with us not tackling our issues properly.I don't know why anyone is so worked up over this.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Do you have proof that the average IQ of Nigerians living in Nigeria is not low then? I mean if you do, please present it, and maybe we can reasonably fight this. This is NOT the only report that has made such a claim.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations#National_IQ_estimates
***remember to check the references

However, if all you are going to do is fight it with BASELESS conjecture, I say you stop taking it personal!

thanks for the link cuz it's has really made me know that so-called IQ analysis is fraud.see what i came up with:
^^^
--IQ analysis have been subject of controversy and criticism
--data,methodology and conclusion are manipuated by authors
--Analysisi is based on information provided by individual country
--it was deduced that Average IQ difference between countries is determined by genetic and economic factors.
--
--the authors DID NOT their own IQ analysis of world's nation instead based their findings by adjusting existing studies.
--from countries 104 to 185 nations,NO STUDIES WERE AVAILABE but authors USED AN ESTIMATED VALUES by TAKING AVERAGES OF THE IQ's OF NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES.
--in other cases,the IQ of a country is estimated by averaging the IQ of a country THAT ARE NOT ACTUALLY NEIGHBOURS ON THE COUNTRY in question.
--All IQ's analysis are based on authors ADJUSTMENT OF OLDER STUDIES UPWARD BY A NUMBER OF POINT.
--there are several negative counter review that criticised IQ analysis.some of which called it data manipulation borned out of weak statistical evidence and dubious presumptions.
--there are NO CONVINCING EVIDENCES TO SHOW THAT RICH COUNTRIES ARE SMARTER THAN POOR COUNTRIES WHICH the author CONCLUDED .
--All methodology used in IQ analysis are OUTDATED.
--many nations are VERY HETEROGENOUS ETHNICALLY which is common for many DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.it is very DOUBTFUL that an often limited number of participants from ONE OR A FEW AREAS ARE REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE WHOLE POPULATION as a whole.
--there are many difficulties when one is measuring IQ Scores across CULTURES and in MULTIPLE LANGUAGES due to TRANSLATION pROBLEM,ATTENDANT DIFFICULTIES and POSSIBLE MISUNDERSTANDINGS IN OTHER culture.
--there was no EVIDENCE LINKING MALARIA or other DISEASES to low IQ.
I hope you are convinced now afterall you provided me with the link. .
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I hope you are convinced now afterall you provided me with the link. .

Convinced By? That?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by vanitty: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2010
Hehehehe now when we thought we have heard it all, they come up with another one. So malaria reduces the grey matter  cheesy smiley
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2010

Building and maintaining the brain requires 87 per cent of all the body's energy in newborns and 44 per cent in 5-year-old children. Fighting infection also takes enormous amounts of energy, so children may struggle to do both at the same time.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727670.301-link-found-between-infectious-disease-and-iq.html

interesting paragraph from one report above .
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Convinced By? That?
yes. . . I'm now convinced that it was a joke afterall
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

yes. . . I'm now convinced that it was a joke afterall

Well . . . good for you then!
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Onlytruth(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2010
Anyway back to the topic. . .

In as much as I fault the sweeping nature of the research conclusion, there are some elements of truth to it.
Like I've said before, the researchers needed to look closer. You might get the most stooopid African in Nigeria but you will also get the most intelligent one there too. It only takes a few intelligent citizens to transform a nation.

I don't blame the researchers, because frankly nobody lands at the Murtala Muhammed airport in Lagos at night, and gets into town on a typical night with 80% of the city in darkness, and not reach the same conclusion.

I know I did.  undecided undecided

On one of such occasions, I simply told myself that none of the past Nigerian leaders were mentally stable. If ever I was the president of that country, I would be too ashamed to host any foreign head of state. Yet, these guys carry on as if they are in New York.

Is that not mild insanity?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by bkbabe90(m): 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

I don't blame the researchers, because frankly nobody lands at the Murtala Muhammed airport in Lagos at night, and gets into town on a typical night with 80% of the city in darkness, and not reach the same conclusion.

Someone let u on a plane?!?! undecided
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Beaf: 7:05pm On Jul 09, 2010
Nigerians have low self esteem, not low IQ.

Low self esteem (or inferiority complex) has the following verbal symptoms;
[list]
[li]"I can buy you and your family!"[/li]
[li]"Do you know who I am?"[/li]
[li]"I will discipline you!"[/li]
[/list]

Low self esteem (or inferiority complex or identity crisis) has the following physical expressions;
[list]
[li]You name your child something ridiculous like "Longinus" and call yourself "Van Iyke"[/li]
[li]You go abroad as Ibitemi Olorumbe and come back as David Hill[/li]
[li]You prefer egusi made in Japan, to what is availabe from your village[/li]
[li]As a musician, you prefer to sing in "patois", even though you have never been to Jamaica and are not Jamaican[/li]
[/list]

A person with low self esteem will always come out worse in an intelligence test than a self confident person, who is satisfied with their identity. cool cool cool
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Dave6: 7:50pm On Jul 09, 2010
The topic of this thread and the explanation of the study which was carried out really do not match.

‘Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study‘ This sounds very insulting to any person.

But the study indicated a relationship between high prevalence of disease and the effect it has on the Average scale on the IQ of inhabitants of such regions. The truth of the matter is that

A Disease prevalence (especially infectious diseases) is high in Nigeria especially of those mentioned Tuberculosis, Malaria and Tetanus which are just actually just a few the common diseases (although the rates are reducing gradually).

B Children are the most prone to these diseases and the effects of these diseases on children (especially those under five years of age) are relatively far more devastating than in adults. Why?

1. Their low (and still developing) immunity
2. The most common complication of the diseases – Malnutrition. Nutrients are needed for proper growth and development of the growing child. The human brain doesn’t fully develop (structurally) until at an average age of about 7years.
3. Absence from school. The diseases keep these children from school making them miss some developmental stages
4. Also there are certain disease conditions which are more prevalent in Africans which have negative effects on the growing child eg Sickle Cell Disease
5. Remember, it was only in recent times that many parts of the country accepted preventive measures such as immunization, the programme that is actually supposed to prevent those very common conditions from afflicting the children in the first place.
6. High rates of poorly managed pregnancies. In this country, there are still a lot of women who do not seek antenatal care, and therefore do not carry out some measures required to prevent problems in the developing foetus and also in the developing child.

Someone gave an instance ‘What if a white man came into such an environment with his family and the child was continuously afflicted with such diseases, would he also have a low IQ?)

He is likely to have a RELATIVELY low IQ than his peers in his country if he was always seriously ill.

Note that there are other native children who would not be affected by these diseases, especially those from good socioeconomic backgrounds eg good living environment, proper immunization, good school attendance and also good social development who on a good day are most likely to have similar IQs to those in developed nations.

The white child who was seriously affected by diseases in the tropical region is expected to have a lower IQ than the well-to-do native children,
BUT this is where one very important factor may come into play – GENETICS

This white child was just brought (or even born) into the new environment, but his parents and generations before him had good developmental histories and genes which may be passed to the child, so the effect on this child’s IQ may not be as dire as in a native child whose parents (and even earlier generations) had probably gone through similar untoward experiences.
You might see some children from low socioeconomic backgrounds who are exceptionally intelligent; this could also be explained by the genetic effect.
You should also note that there are ‘the not-so-intelligent ones’ in the developed societies, and theirs could also be explained by some hiccup along the way.

Enough with the Children, Now into adulthood

the effects of all negative factors mentioned above are just part of the problems which have kept us under the banner of Developing Nations for decades at least.
What Cohomology said in his post is not far from the truth, he only let it out in a very frank manner.

What is Intelligence?
A description is the ability to make something positive out of nothing.

The economic situation and other problems which are numerous in this developing part of the world, diverting the potential for positive and productive thinking in most people is a very important factor resulting in the average IQ Score that the country has at the moment. Now this could be affecting someone that even had a very lovely childhood. The percentage of People in our society that have resorted to living with the hand-to-mouth attitude is much higher than that in developed societies where a greater percentage engage in bringing out groundbreaking ideas and innovations. This is done by a much smaller percentage in our society.

Growing into adulthood could be a transition phase in the level of Intelligence and Productivity of an individual (functional enhancement), even if he was the dullest child. But this only occurs if the person wishes to it to. This can be attained through learning processes, Not necessarily taking first in class but being able to be productive with whatever he has learned or attained. Learning and motivation to learn and also engaging in self development practices especially in areas of interest are what bring out the best intellectual in an individual. Unfortunately, in our society this is not a rampant phenomenon-
also, thanks to our education system (especially Tertiary), where most students just get tired of being in an environment doing nothing so meaningful except for waiting to collect their certificates so as to get jobs, or worse still, just to have evidence of attempting tertiary education. This is one area where the effect of Low IQ is very devastating; nothing worse when a teacher of hundreds of students has a low IQ (I pray they are just a few).

Check out our religious and ethnic crises; these are NOT intelligent approaches to solving little issues for a better future not to talk of industrialization. If we were averagely intelligent as a people, how would a political issue which would die out on its own with time or better still could be solved INTELLIGENTLY lead to destruction of lives and property by townsmen on their very own brothers, women and even children? This ethnic and religious madness is still displayed by some people who you would regard as being intellectually sound, but are in fact the determinants reducing the IQ score of our society.
These are just an intro to the very intelligent ways we handle issues in this country.

Why is it that at least 80% of Bus drivers and Motor cycle riders are a constant threat to life and property in this country? Someone thinking accurately and has good insight would speed toward an obviously developing traffic holdup or even a holdup that had already been formed when he was 100 metres away. And talk about the cause of the holdup – Someone taking a wrong turn and still making noise or not intelligent enough to make a simple negotiation which would last an average of 3 seconds.

A motor cycle rider will carry a passenger (even a pregnant woman) and will not take the courtesy of asking her whether she would embark on the suicide mission he intends, or would I say the stunt he unintentionally intends to carry out unintelligently… with a pregnant woman on his back or two little kids sitting on the petrol tank. And this happens almost everyday.

See this spectacular situation we find ourselves in: Nigeria is a large oil producing country. So are other nations that also produce this oil. In fact we are rated amongst the highest ranks with respect to oil reserves. But how far with level of development compared to other nations without such great natural resources?

Look at our politicians. Did anyone watch a session at the house of reps. about a week ago when the leader of the minority was calling someone else as the president of this country? Nobody even ask am o! He just begin dey expose imself with confidence.
If we were averagely intelligent in this country why is it that a great percentage of the public officials that come up, generation after generation engage in the very same activities that led to the unfavorable state of the nation for most of its citizens?

To start citing different potentially avoidable general problems we have in our society, it would have to be categorized in the region of hundreds of topics.

When we start tackling these problems we cause for ourselves by taking time to develop ourselves, and our environment, making sure our actions have nothing but a positive impact on our neighbor and generations to come, that is when we will be able to boast of our combined IQs which would already be reflected in our level of development.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by AjanleKoko: 9:44am On Jul 10, 2010
^^
Reasonable comments. I like.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by lekside44(m): 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2010
what of the wole soyinkas, the chine ebuezes, the chike obis, the ben, the list goes on and on. if it it true that nigerians have no iq, then those that award them nobel prize and whatever are dundeeeeeess.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Ijeleigbo(m): 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2010
What a forum! I have learnt so much. Rich comments, great! Having a low or high iq is an individual thing and not a collective issue. But what strikes me the most is that the Americans think they're perfect. They feel "yeah we know everything" and exalt themselves as Gods. This report is an insult to Nigeria and other African nations. What do they take us for?
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
Reasonable comments. I like.

uumm . . . he actually looked into the RESEARCH and was able to analyze the situation objectively, something you could have done yourself before rushing to FUME in the mouth!!!
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by EzeUche(m): 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2010
I do not believe this nonsense. This is another way for Europeans to say they are superior than us. When they were painting their faces blue and living in the forest, black people were building the pyramids and creating advanced civilizations. These people will do anything to say that they are superior to us.
Re: Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study by redsun(m): 9:18pm On Jul 11, 2010
The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Shocks The World, Set To Probe IBB / Gov. Ajimobi Presents N285bn 2019 Budget Proposal To Oyo Assembly - Photos / Atiku's Son In Critical Condition Struggling With Covik-1-9, Kemi Olunloyo Revea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.