Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? (546 Views)

80% Of Girls Make Out With Their Besties - Lady (Video) / Should I Give This Relationship A Trial Or Not?????? / 2 Nairaland Besties Getting Married After 11 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by cover9ja: 5:36am On Sep 27, 2018
Best friends (Besties). Most people have one, some others have more. But then it sorts of get dicey when one has a bestie of the opposite sex and it gets a whole lot more complicated when that person gets into a relationship.

A Bestie is the 21st century term for best friend. Having a bestie of the opposite sex is cute if you look at it, having someone of the opposite sex you can talk to and be naturally comfortable with. However, it becomes complicated when someone who has a best friend of the opposite sex gets into a relationship.

For a lot of reasons, people are often uncomfortable with their partners having best friends of the opposite sex. Yesterday while chatting with my friends over roasted plantain in am evening outing I tried to engage them in a conversation bothering on the whole bestie thing. Would they keep besties of the opposite sex while in a relationship?

According to Jane, 25, a graduate of Geology turned model, she didn’t have a problem with it. She said even though she’s currently in a relationship she has a bestie she confides in whom she has a very great relationship with.

However, Lanre, a final year student of Medicine strongly disagreed. According to him, having a best friend of the opposite sex while being in a relationship tends to serve as a huge distraction because one may not be able to draw the boundaries between a bestie and a partner. He also argued that one’s partner is supposed to be one’s best friend and chief confidant, and that if one has a bestie of the opposite sex then what’s the primary function of the person’s partner?

Obinna, a banker, in agreement with Lanre also argued that having a best friend of the opposite sex is tantamount to putting one’s self in a very fishy position. He recalled how many of his so-called besties he had a sexual relationship with while they were with someone else. According to him:

“Imagine that you have a girlfriend who has a guy who is her bestie and you both have a fight. She runs to the guy for support and at that point she’s very vulnerable. What if the guy decides to take advantage of her?”

Chisara, a blogger and a journalist differed. She insisted that everyone could have that one friend who could help reduce the emotional burden for one’s partner by being there when the partner cannot be there and it didn’t matter what gender the person was. She argued that with discipline, one could handle a relationship with their partners and besties without compromising anything.

Well, since there was no clear-cut answer to this lingering question, I decided to bring it to you valued readers. What do you think about having a best friend of the opposite sex while being in a relationship? Can one manage their relationship with the best friend and their partners at the same time?

Source: https://cover9ja.com/having-besties-while-in-a-relationship-a-good-idea/

Re: Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by ANGELMARVE(m): 6:05am On Sep 27, 2018
Well the problem is that the relationship between your partner's best friend and your partner, started before you both met.
So the ball is in the court of your partner, he or she should limit conversations with his or her best friend.

The relationship must be respected, seeing that humans are naturally jealous, Every mature adult human must do away with his or her best friend from the opposite sex, that is for the betterment of the relationship.

I believe your partner should become your new best friend, while you keep one or two friends of the opposite sex, but it should be just a hi, hello, how is your family thing "

Even i personally is a bestie to four females, when one got married, i stylishly stop talking to her, because i don't want anything that will bring discomfort in her marriage, though we talk like once in like two months, i just had to give her space and that is what every best friend to an opposite sex, must do.

IF this life is ruled by mentally mature people devoid of pride, there won't be no war and economic recession.

2 Likes

Re: Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by Olalan(m): 6:10am On Sep 27, 2018
Bestie of the opposite sex is mostly a scam that most people use to cheat on their partners...........And am surprised some people still fall for this lame scam
Re: Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by cover9ja: 6:20am On Sep 27, 2018
@lalasticlala
Re: Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 27, 2018
I cannot be with a woman that have a bestie. angry

I want my partner to give me the whole package not just sex! Let her confide in me - share her time, thoughts and secrets. And not with one ìdiot out there.
Re: Having Besties While In A Relationship: A Good Idea? by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 27, 2018
They have been besties before you came in, if you are confident that shouldn't be a problem.Although there must be moderation in the friendship.

(1) (Reply)

‘my P^ssy Is Paining Me’- Prostitutes Fights A Man For Not Paying Her(video) / Court Orders HIV Positive Man To Notify The Police 24 Hours Before Having Sex / Nigerian Coach, Phenomenal Adedayo Gets Engaged To Fiancee - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.