Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,929 members, 7,824,896 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? (21050 Views)

Stammering: Steps On How To Reduce It And Speech Therapy / Thread On How To Stop Stammering / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by OMOTOWO(m): 5:19pm On Oct 05, 2018
Zoharariel:
You will go to Mr. Biggs today, Tantalizers tomorrow & Domino's Pizza next tomorrow - how will you not born a stammerer & slowpoke when the food you're eating & feeding your system are ridden with GMOs?

I meant no offense.

In Ijebu, there are no stammerers & imbeciles because na paki we dey chop morning, afernoon & night. grin

If you see any stammerer or slowpoke in Ijebu, na foreigner them be. grin

Well, according to Mark 7:32 - "A deaf man with a speech impediment was brought to him, and the people begged Jesus to lay his hands on the man to heal him".

Unfortunately, since all of us reading this thread know with utmost conviction that in this age, what was written in the scripture above can only take place in the "United States of Utopia". grin cheesy grin

I can only say I'm sorry, I do not have a solution to your query. grin
which of the ijebu do u come from
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by chigoizie7(m): 5:19pm On Oct 05, 2018
change language
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by chinemelu17(m): 5:26pm On Oct 05, 2018
Stammering isn't a disease or a disorder. It's just a natural phenomenon. Don't shout or scold him when ever his is talking because if you do. It will get worst as the time goes on. Just do as if it's nothing. When ever he is talking to you, pay attention to him. Don't let him see himself as if he has something else. Don't let his siblings and your husband, in fact anybody to mock him. I am talking from experience. He will feel very confidence and courageous to speak in the future.. But if you do other wise,my dear. You will put him in eternal low self esteem. Start at this his little age to boast his self esteem even when he is stammering

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Allikola(m): 5:26pm On Oct 05, 2018
Get Habbatu Saudau and Zaitun then call me on 08031505760 for medication
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by harryjunior17(m): 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
will u really do dat?
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by WiseStarr(m): 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
rayobaba:
Some stammer reduces as d person grow older. Don't see it as disease. Don't worry yourself. Help your child to be brave. Fear increases stammering. Don't make your child be aware that you are noticing he stammer.

Yes,I think the OP should follow this advice a childhood friend of mine was once stammer when he was little,this one usually break like Michael Jackson when hestammer but now he's someone that can talk fluently,I think it has something to do with age
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Please, what can I do to help my 5 year old to stop stammering?

I live in Lagos and I seem unable to find a speech therapist around.

I am getting so frustrated.

Thanks so much.
Singing constantly is d solution
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by sonnie10: 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let him drink water often from Ogene (small metal gong)
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
OMOTOWO:
which of the ijebu do u come from

The HQ of the Ijebus. grin

The Spiritual Capital of the Irunmoles

The only Ijebu Land that compelled Queen Elizabeth to visit her in 1956 even when it was never in her itinerary - Just to come honour my Papa in the forest of the irunmoles - Chief Timothy Odutola (The Ogbeni Oja of Ijebu land). grin

The Land of the Awujale, Kukus, Okunowos, & Baloguns. grin

The land where the 16 Agemos (that are capable of turning the night into day & the day into night) converge every year to honour & celebrate the irunmoles. grin

Today, if we decide that Nigeria must cease to exist, trust me - it is straight to the ears of the irunmoles. grin

It is true that we go to the churches or mosques but never without our ogun abenu-gongo & igbadi in case any omo-komo misbehaves. grin

Chaiii! Let me stop here before my incantation & vibration disrupt the server of Nairaland in Holland - Hahahahahaaaa! grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by OMOTOWO(m): 6:16pm On Oct 05, 2018
Zoharariel:

The HQ of the Ijebus. grin

The Spiritual Capital of the Irunmoles

The only Ijebu Land that compelled Queen Elizabeth to visit her in 1956 even when it was never in her itinerary - Just to come honour my Papa in the forest of the irunmoles - Chief Timothy Odutola (The Ogbeni Oja of Ijebu land). grin

The Land of the Awujale, Kukus, Okunowos, & Baloguns. grin

The land where the 16 Agemos (that are capable of turning the night into day & the day into night) converge every year to honour & celebrate the irunmoles. grin

Today, if we decide that Nigeria must cease to exist, trust me - it is straight to the ears of the irunmoles. grin

It is true that we go to the churches or mosques but never without our ogun abenu-gongo & igbadi in case any omo-komo misbehaves. grin

Chaiii! Let me stop here before my incantation & vibration disrupt the server of Nairaland in Holland - Hahahahahaaaa! grin cheesy grin
I am sure u are dinning with devil ABI..I am from ijebu too
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 05, 2018
OMOTOWO:
I am sure u are dinning with devil ABI..I am from ijebu too

I hope you're not referring to our irunmoles as the devil because the real devils are in the Vatican & Kaaba. grin
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by nemeomire: 6:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let him always drink water with Ogene (gong). And also relaxe while talking
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by frozen70(f): 6:28pm On Oct 05, 2018
Pls you have to calm down, stammering is not a deseas

Before he got to 5yrd,he would have been giving signs but you never took it serious

At that age he can understand what you are telling him by demonstration

Tell him not to be in a hurry to talk or make a speech

He must be caed for him to make any statement

Tell him to watch the way others talk that he will observe that they don't draw words like he does

Gradually he will stop it

He needs constant counselling and reminder of it

A speach therapist would not make a difference because he goes to him and can't stay more than an hour with the therapist

Play nursery rhymes for him to talk along with the video

As he is growing up with constant check on him he will befine
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Azam101: 6:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
The two commenters above, how could the both of you be so heartless and cruel ??

When someone is asking for help, if you have nothing sensible to say, just shut up !
Do you expect anything good from someone that lacks parental love?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Azam101: 6:47pm On Oct 05, 2018
Try and go to any Islamic book shop and accessories store ask of Zam-Zam water and give him twice morning and Night and encourage him to talk slowly with care and love good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by bbode1(m): 6:48pm On Oct 05, 2018
I once stammered also. Mine was that I copied a niebour and I couldn't leave it. What my mum did was that she made me embrace music. My mum plays piano. When I sing I don't stammer. Meaning music reduces anxiety. If he can embrace the melody of music and he learns how to sing. Then he can learn to control his speech.
There are herbal remedies also. Consult old focks around ur community if you wish
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Danchibez: 7:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
Best way to overcome stammering is by eating wit left hand, according to a man i met in Sokoto park while i was returning home from Kebbi State NYSC camp
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by CaptainFM1: 7:21pm On Oct 05, 2018
Get him books, bible or newspapers to read to you a lot especially every night, but encourage him to read slowly. Be ready to cut-in in any words he's struggling to pronounce.

The more he gets use to the slow pace he's naturally gifted with, the more he overcomes and improves on it. Mind you, a slow and gently paced voice is more soothing than running mouth like typewriter!

Ever wonder the faster he tries to go, the more he stammers
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by rachaelD(f): 7:33pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

You could make him speak with his ears closed and I know speech therapists in Lagos if you need
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by rachaelD(f): 7:38pm On Oct 05, 2018
There are speech therapists in Lagos. U can also talk cover his ears, it’s cos he can hear himself
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Wfash: 7:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
I had to comment, it is absolute idiocy to expect a slap to correct something like a stammer. Poster, please do not slap your child just because our parents and grandparents did it does not mean it is the right way to train our own kids. The world is evolving, all these backwards thinking people in our generation obviously need help. As some people said, just let him or her mix with kids of his /her age, join other kids clubs and for you, tell your child to take a deep breath before speaking, let the child mentally organize the sentence he/she is about to say before the kid speaks. That is the way. And be patient. You cannot get tired of it.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by MetaPhysical: 7:53pm On Oct 05, 2018
Responding to the OP.

The diaphragm, the rib bones form what is called rib-cage. They act as flexible frame to aid the heart and the lungs in their functions pumping blood and air respectively through the body organs. There are valves that control flow of fluid and as the valves open and close, expansion and contraction takes place, and the rib-cage expand or collapse in response. Speech is controlled by the brain cells sending signals to valves to open or close in response to the words that needs to be vocalized. If the valves open too short or too long, the effect is repetition of letters or words. The action is involuntary. In other words, the speaker only has control of the vocal chord but zero control over how long the air valve open or closes. The air valves are stimulated by brain cell. This is why mute persons can activate their vocal chords voluntarily, but they produce no speech because the brain involuntarily refuses to activate the air pipe. So in a stammering person, the air vavles open and closes but their timing is out of synch with vocal chord, so they must be assisted by an aid. That assistance is provided by changing the shape of the diaphragm and manipulate the rate at which it contract and expand. In other words, you reduce the air volume in the chest. To do that tie a band around the chest (rib-cage) to squeeze air up the chest into the lower end of the voice box. Tie an oja (Yoruba) or a wide band belt, or even a wrapper around the chest. Tell the child to raise up their arms in the air....this will give you good room under their armpit and around the upper chest.

Monitor on a daily basis and see if the wrap or band is too tight and need adjustment, or if too low or too high and need adjustment. By end of first week you will know exactly what amount of pressure is needed. Within a month you should notice stability and improvement in the child's ability to control their vocalization better. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by sexuential: 7:54pm On Oct 05, 2018
Pipedreams:
At OP do not mind the jobless youths and kids on this forum. This is the best time to encourage your kid. I stammered too when i was very young and instead of parents and siblings to assist me overcome it i was mocked. This caused me to struggle with my self esteem. Thank fully I have out grown it and more and more confident in each passing day. I still stammer a lil tho but its under control.

Solution:

Correct your child with love and tell him to take a deep breath and repeat the word slowly. Scold anyone who mocks him. Also, let him mix alot with his peers and kids activities such as sunday school acting, singing etc

My his grace he will overcome.

Shalom

This is the best approach.
Breath in before talking, then try to manage the air to express himself. With consistency in application, d stammering would be controlled.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by joceey(m): 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
Get almond seed and butter give him one almond see mix with butter every morning and night you will be suprised
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Naythan(m): 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2018
A lot of kids stutter while growing up, some outgrow it but some don't.

I did stutter too while growing up, I still do but you need to be attentive enough to figure it out.

Good number of posters above have preferred working practical solutions already. Like teaching him to be calm while talking, singing and the rest. They help a great deal.

Stammering is not a disease BTW. As a matter of unverified fact grin, stammerers have a great mental fortitude. I've met a medical doctor who stutters. Even while I stutter, I was always the best academically both in secondary school and in the University; I graduated with a first class.

I do a lot of music. I'm a fan of rap, 2pac (I rap along as well) and I also listen to very cool calm songs (a huge Enya fan). All these gave birth to the man in my signature.

Finally, always try as much as possible to scold those who mock him. Also, prevent him from getting angered. Stammering and anger no this mix well at all. grin

All the best.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Moyinjoe(m): 5:45am On Oct 06, 2018
Book an appointment with a Speech Therapist
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by dynicks(m): 4:41pm On Oct 07, 2018
mokaflex:

If you are interested get to me. I used to stammer but no more. Thanks to my late grand mom who gave me the keys free of charge. Freely would I give to you.
goodpm sir. ...thank goodness I came across this thread....please m in dire need of whatever formulation or advice uv got to give.......please reply asap! thanks...
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by mokaflex(m): 8:39am On Oct 08, 2018
dynicks:
goodpm sir. ...thank goodness I came across this thread....please m in dire need of whatever formulation or advice uv got to give.......please reply asap! thanks...
The only remedy that worked for me is to talk very very slowly,importantly to take a deep breath before you talk. The. Boy. Is. Coming. To. My church. On. Sunday. For. The program(nobody reads this n stammers

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by mokaflex(m): 8:39am On Oct 08, 2018
dynicks:
dynicks:
The only remedy that worked for me is to talk very very slowly,importantly to take a deep breath before you talk. The. Boy. Is. Coming. To. My church. On. Sunday. For. The program(nobody reads this n stammers
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 21, 2018
Thanks so much everybody. I appreciate your counsels. I will come back with an update.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Bnbello(m): 8:18am On Jul 01, 2019
mokaflex:

If you are interested get to me. I used to stammer but no more. Thanks to my late grand mom who gave me the keys free of charge. Freely would I give to you.
Hello brother can we talk please coz I am also suffering from stammering
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Solutionhealth(m): 9:34am On Jul 01, 2019
Hello parents,
Call 0811 842 8131

Thanks so much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bauchi Spends N4,500 On Each COVID-19 Patient's Meal Daily / Blessing Timidi-Digha's Two Children Die In Fire Outbreak (Photos) / Common Birth Control Myths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.