Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,948 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC (8123 Views)

Photos Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband, Ikemba (Then Vs Now) / Jonathan Congratulates Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala On Her Twitter Appointment / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala' Twitter Appointment: Reno Omokri Replies El-Rufai's Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 7:52am On Oct 09, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Uncle, NYSC Act cannot override the provisions of the Constitution and NYSC Act has nothing to do with electoral matters, that's the business of the Constitution and E.A.

NOTE: Elective positions aren't "job employment" within the context of what that NYSC Act prescribes, not even ministerial and other political appointments.
The NYSC act like the Land use act is a constitutional enactment.
You know next to nothing but think you know everything
I am not talking about election just pointing out that the woman has committed an offence and should be prosecuted

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 7:52am On Oct 09, 2018
agabusta:

Your submission is incorrect if you put it side by side with the provisions of the NYSC Act. Reference a snippet of the Act posted below please.

There is no Law mandating Nigerians to go to University, The electoral act also doesnt require NYSC, The minimun education requirement required to seek elective position in Nigeria is SSCE certificate. Once that certificate is presented, you are qualified to seek elective positions in Nigeria. There are many Nigerian politicians with first degree who contested elections using their SSCE
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 7:52am On Oct 09, 2018
agabusta:

Your submission is incorrect if you put it side by side with the provisions of the NYSC Act. Reference a snippet of the Act posted below please.

You do not read things like this in isolation. You cannot criminalise a person simply because they have a degree. The worst the Act can do is prevent such person from securing job roles which require a degree. Anything other than that, if anyone tries to raise dust based on the nysc act, the court would be left to decide on that; and the upside down logic of the nysc act would certainly be rubbished.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 7:54am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

You are entitled to be foolish, the constitution guarantees that
Yes I am entitled to be foolish whenever I want. But unlike you, I choose not to practice that right today. Thanks.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by agabusta: 7:55am On Oct 09, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

The Constitution is very clear, being educated up to secondary school level is enough, others are extraneous

Indeed they are extraneous. But what happens to the candidature of a person facing criminal prosecution with high probability of being convicted?

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's a high risk. APC was smart enough to avoid this risk with Shittu in Oyo state.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 7:56am On Oct 09, 2018
The NYSC Act is in the constitution.
It is one of a tiny number of enactment embedded in the constitution. It is not optional

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 7:57am On Oct 09, 2018
obailala:
Yes I am entitled to be foolish whenever I want. But unlike you, I choose not to practice that right today. Thanks.
It is not practice just being yourself
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:58am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

I am not talking about election just pointing out that the woman has committed an offence and should be prosecuted
The woman hasn't committed NO offence by opting out of NYSC scheme but she's barred from taking up employment in Nigeria territory with her qualification but it doesn't bar her from taking employment in non formal sector. It is also not criminal to opt out of NYSC scheme, that provision can even be challenged in court.

NYSC is part of the civic duties of every graduate who did graduate before age 30 but not discharging your civic duties doesn't make you criminal.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:01am On Oct 09, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

The woman hasn't committed NO offence by opting out of NYSC scheme but she's barred from taking up employment in Nigeria territory with her qualification but it doesn't bar her from taking employment in non formal sector. It is also not criminal to opt out of NYSC scheme, that provision can even be challenged in court.

NYSC is part of the civic duties of every graduate who did graduate before age 30 but not discharging your civic duties doesn't make you criminal.

13. Offences and penalties, etc.

(1) Any person—

(a) who fails to report for service in the service corps in the manner directed by the Directorate or as the case may be, prescribed pursuant to the provisions of this Act; or

(b) who refuses to make himself available for service in the service corps continuously for the period specified in subsection (2) of this section, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of twelve months or to both such fine and imprisonment
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 8:01am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

That is beer parlour logic.
Go and read the NYSC act 13(2)
You cannot Dump your certificate. Once you graduate before the age of 30 you MUST serve IF YOU WANT TO SEEK EMPLOYMENT WITHIN NIGERIA WITH YOUR DEGREE.

It is not optional
Not only must you serve failure to serve is punishable by prison.
Fixed!

If I graduate and decide to dump my certificate and go into private business, I break no law. Being educated is not a crime, obtaining a degree is not a crime. And if anybody or institution decides to challenge this simple commonsensical fact, such a person or institution will be summarily disgraced in any court.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:01am On Oct 09, 2018
agabusta:

Indeed they are extraneous. But what happens to the candidature of a person facing criminal prosecution with high probability of being convicted?

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's a high risk. APC was smart enough to avoid this risk with Shittu in Oyo state.
APC were ill-advised to screen out Shitu on the basis of NYSC.

To answer your question, a man under trial with 90% chance of conviction is still qualified for nomination and election as long as he wasn't convicted as at time of nomination. Even if he was, only the court can disqualify that person, not INEC!

And if he eventually becomes Governor/Dep Governor/President/VP, they will have to wait till he vacates office.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:02am On Oct 09, 2018
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

(1) Any person—

(a) who fails to report for service in the service corps in the manner directed by the Directorate or as the case may be, prescribed pursuant to the provisions of this Act; or

(b) who refuses to make himself available for service in the service corps continuously for the period specified in subsection (2) of this section, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of twelve months or to both such fine and imprisonment
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by chloride6: 8:03am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

The guy likes acting as if he has sense grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 8:04am On Oct 09, 2018
agabusta:

The Electoral Act is not superior to the NYSC Act.

The Electoral Act as a law of the land does not invalidate other existing laws. Try and be informed.

If you commit a crime punishable by other laws, the existence of the Electoral Act does not preclude you from criminal prosecution.
The case of Shittu was just politics, the governor wants another candidate, why is there no pressure for him to resign like in the case of Kemi Adeosun?

The NYSC only applies to seeking employment positions requiring degree qualifications and the offences applies when you are employed without NYSC!

There is no law mandating Nigerians to be degree holders and if any one presents their SSCE to INEC which requires it as the minimum educational requirement thats all.

obailala:
Oh you still do not get the point?... But you were the one who few seconds ago, placed yourself on a high mental pedestal. How come the simple point being fed to you is too difficult for you to mentally grasp?

In simple terms, the nysc act is rubbish. You cannot criminalise a person for not serving a country. The best it can do is prevent them from securing job appointments which require degree qualifications because a degree qualification in Nigeria MUST be accompanied by an NYSC cert. However, if the person settles for a position not requiring a degree qualification, NYSC cert will be as useless as the 'P' in psychology.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 8:05am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

It is not practice just being yourself
You mean trying to be you?... sorry boy! Enjoy your early morning buffoonery alone.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:05am On Oct 09, 2018
ANY ELIIGIBLEBPERSON WHO FAILS TO REPORT FOR NYSC IS LIABLE TO PROSECUTION
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 8:07am On Oct 09, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

APC were ill-advised to screen out Shitu on the basis of NYSC.

To answer your question, a man under trial with 90% chance of conviction is still qualified for nomination and election as long as he wasn't convicted as at time of nomination. Even if he was, only the court can disqualify that person, not INEC!

And if he eventually becomes Governor/Dep Governor/President/VP, they will have to wait till he vacates office.
The case of Shittu was just politics, the governor who wants another candidate wanted a way to edge him out and that was his card. If Shittu goes to court, he will win. Why is there no pressure on Shittu to resign like was done to Adeosun?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:07am On Oct 09, 2018
obailala:
You mean trying to be you?... sorry boy! Enjoy your early morning buffoonery alone.
weak ,watery waffle.
Embarrassing. I shame for yòu
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by Shuku0kukobambi: 8:08am On Oct 09, 2018
totit:

[/b]My brother you can say that again.
Those are the same people that insulted us that we betrayed the south for Fulani's agenda.
Those are the same people that said Fulani's herdsmen are foot soldiers aim to wipe out the whole of south.
Those are the same people that called the north and SW masters and slaves.
Those are the same people that claimed vice president , osinbajo is a mere commissioner.
Those are the same people that detest the Fulani's and cursed them,and mind you buhari is the master planner of Fulani's agenda. ....

But what do we have today? You see them begging for vice President seat,wanting to serve under the same Fulani ...

Now, the logic and critical question is ; what has happened to Fulani's agenda, has it suddenly disappeared now [b]

Please , I need answer ooo grin

I've been looking for the fulani agenda since they started wanking over Atiku, Tambuwal, kwankwaso, Lamido etc but couldn't find it. They are ready to be slaves to awusa people again. In fact, they're begging and threatening fire and brimstone if they don't get to be slaves to Awusa Atiku now. The people matter tire me cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 8:08am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

(1) Any person—

Olodo this only applies when you are employed without NYSC. Seeeking elective positions is not the same as seeking employment.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:10am On Oct 09, 2018
globemoney:

Olodo this only applies when you are employed without NYSC. Seeeking elective positions is not the same as seeking employment.
Has nothing to do with seeking anything it is just a CRIME on its own merits like shoplifting or pickpocketting.
I
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:11am On Oct 09, 2018
globemoney:

The case of Shittu was just politics, the governor who wants another candidate wanted a way to edge him out and that was his card. If Shittu goes to court, he will win. Why is there no pressure on Shittu to resign like was done to Adeosun?
100% agreed!

Adeosun alleged forgery complicated her situation.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:12am On Oct 09, 2018
ANY person who FAILS to report is liable to prosecution full stop
Failure to report when eligible is a CRIME
Seeking election is nothing to do with this
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by chloride6: 8:12am On Oct 09, 2018
obailala:

You do not read things like this in isolation. You cannot criminalise a person simply because they have a degree . The worst the Act can do is prevent such person from securing job roles which require a degree. Anything other than that, if anyone tries to raise dust based on the nysc act, the court would be left to decide on that; and the upside down logic of the nysc act would certainly be rubbished.

Yes you can. The NYSC Act says so
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 8:12am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:
weak ,watery waffle.
Embarrassing. I shame for yòu
How can a shameless person possibly feel shame for someone else?... Is there really a limit to what one sees and reads on this forum?

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 8:13am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

[s]Has nothing to do with seeking anything it is just a CRIME on its own merits like shoplifting or pickpocketting.
I[/s]
If you went to school you need to go and ask them to refund your school fees cheesy

Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:13am On Oct 09, 2018
Failure to report 1 year prison ,no discussion
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:14am On Oct 09, 2018
obailala:
How can a shameless person possibly feel shame for someone else?... Is there really a limit to what one sees and reads on this forum?
Breezy brainless bluster
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 8:15am On Oct 09, 2018
chloride6:

So in essence you're saying a man who graduates and then dumps his uni certificate to focus on his main market business is automatically a criminal courtesy of some flimsy sentences in the NYSC Act?... lol

Take that sentence to court and watch how you will be disgraced from the gates.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by globemoney: 8:16am On Oct 09, 2018
chloride6:

SMH. That means, every Nigerian graduate without jobs should also sue NYSC for not giving them jobs and NYSC act is a criminal act for not giving jobless graduates jobs after doing NYSC?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by obailala(m): 8:17am On Oct 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

Breezy brainless bluster
Lol... keep firing! Your words speak volumes of yourself (vis a vis your mental state) and your upbringing. Kudos to your parents.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Did Not Do NYSC by 0monnak0da: 8:22am On Oct 09, 2018
obailala:
Lol... keep firing! Your words speak volumes of yourself (vis a vis your mental state) and your upbringing. Kudos to your parents.
Pitiable pathetic plonker

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Sars Officer That Shot Kazeem Tiamiyu In Sagamu With A Special Plate Number- / Release Nnamdi Kanu Or Risk Another Civil War, Lawmaker Warn Buhari / Monica Ugwuanyi Donates Drugs To Women, Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.