Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning (47234 Views)

English Words Nigerians Give A Different Meaning / Igbo And Yoruba Languages Now Acknowledged In Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Akabuking: 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2018
Baronnaire:

Guys, Guys....
Both are correct depending on the region.

"Oko" and "Uko" can both have up to three meanings each, depending on the punctuation.

Ókó = itch (some region)
Úkó = itch (some region)
Ùkò = wooden plate
Ùko = Native grill

very true true.

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Raydos: 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2018
Mbediogu:

OK but I was at UI. What Yoruba name sounds similar to that?
What matters most is the real meaning to the owners of the language not how outsiders like us on Nairaland understand it. If Olaniyi was the have the same igbo meaning to Yoruba's am sure they won't bear it.
I shout out to my great Yoruba friends wherever they may be !

But it's actually "Ola ni iyi", they are 3 different words,
Not olaniyi,, , but when you keep saying it everytime it becomes olaniyi
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by shizzleStar: 1:48pm On Oct 17, 2018
chigoeze:
yemisi.. Yoruba name which means give me head in Igbo
Ramotu... Yoruba name which means f**k my pu**y
Na only the bad ones you sabi. Chai! grin
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by shizzleStar: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2018
igboamakaaa:

Lemme put it in the Igbo text
O la so ofu nwa grin
He f***ed only one child
more like he fcked only one pussy grin
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Xkalaban(m): 1:54pm On Oct 17, 2018
AroOkigbo:

You are wrong
It's "Oko"

Yup, with the punctuations that it goes along with = ọkọ

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by ollaxworld: 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
Thank you for the information

YorubaMuslims:

ollaxworld

Ndi Ndi is collective word for group of people, it's always followed by group of people. it can also be ''The''

Ndi Igbo,= Igbo people
Ndi Yoruba Yoruba people
Ndi Calabar = Calabar people
Ndi Ocha = white people
Ndi a = these people
Ndi ahu= those people
Ndi ara= Mad people
Ndi mmuo= spirits
Ndi mmehe= sinners
Ndi eke = slang for Police
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by BALLOSKI: 2:16pm On Oct 17, 2018
EzePromoe:
The Olaniyi name kind of cracks me up.
One word but two opposite meanings.
BTW It's Olanihi in Igbo and it means 'the destroyer'

Meanwhile let me add;

Ogbo means Sponge (Igbo) and Monkey (Yoruba)
Obo means Retaliation (Igbo) and Female (Yoruba)
Oba means barn (Igbo) and King (Yoruba)

Obo means in female in Yoruba? You're funny.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by bigfrancis21: 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
ollaxworld:

Thank you for that.

What is Ndi in Igbo?

gboo - ancient/early
ndi - people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Mbediogu(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
Raydos:

But it's actually "Ola ni iyi", they are 3 different words,
Not olaniyi,, , but when you keep saying it everytime it becomes olaniyi

I am happy to learn bros. Remain blest. Sometimes the Mama go simply shout 'Niyi my son you no go come chop food? Na play you go chop today? Niyi you no go kill me o o o'. I LOVE ALL MOTHERS! Lol
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by nazablossom(f): 5:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
Baronnaire:
How about Olasofunwa (Yoruba name)?

Ibo lipsrsealed
ola the only child grin
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by greenmonk: 7:52pm On Oct 17, 2018
YorubaMuslims:

STOP LYING MAN
Are you for real or just crazy?
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Swagahyk(m): 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
vindisick:

With the "h" at the back?

What of...
•Umeh,
•Uzoh/Uzor
•Ezeh,
•udeh etc
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Yankiss(m): 9:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
(N)Woke - Yoruba for look up
Nwoke - Igbo for man.
ira wo otun - Igbo for "have you tested my pussy?", Yoruba for, I don't really know. Knowledgeable sources supply.
iko ede Yoruba - Igbo for "planting cocoyam in Yoruba, Yoruba for something about their language grammar.
otunba - Igbo for public pussy, Yoruba for titled man.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Harwoyeez(m): 9:50pm On Oct 17, 2018
Gangster1ms:

Come gimme bj grin
thanks that's the same meaning my girlfriend told me. Pls what does olakunle as an igbo word means in English
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Gangster1ms: 10:16pm On Oct 17, 2018
Harwoyeez:
thanks that's the same meaning my girlfriend told me. Pls what does olakunle as an igbo word means in English
Ola simply means fvcked... so any name u add to ola means to fvck that name grin
Olakunle = fvcked kunle
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Harwoyeez(m): 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2018
Gangster1ms:

Ola simply means fvcked... so any name u add to ola means to fvck that name grin
Olakunle = fvcked kunle
thanks baba, no wonder my gf said I like Bleep as that's my yoruba name grin
Gangster1ms:

Olakunle = fvcked kunle
thanks baba, no wonder my gf said I like Bleep as that's my yoruba name
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by osheminlore90: 11:39pm On Oct 17, 2018
akamu in some part of Yoruba land is know as pap same as in Igbo land
I could remember telling a girl that my surname is olaniyi and she said if I know what it mean in Igbo land I won't like it.
emi mean nose but in Yoruba it mean feces
gbawa ball mean pass the ball it also sound like Yoruba
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Bitcoinomy(m): 5:41pm On Oct 18, 2018
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Igbos are far greater than the Yorubas in every aspect. Go and argue with your keypad.
kindly stop statements which ll bred division. Thanks
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by wowcatty: 7:28pm On Oct 18, 2018
Arindin!
speaktome:

Oshi ni ni
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by wowcatty: 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2018
Dumb cannibal, when did I stop?
Tushkito:

Wow piggery shebi u don start na?
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Franking: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2018
velocity25:
Anambra where am from use ife, ihe is by Imo and Abia
Ihiala, Uli and Amorka area use 'ihe'.Even parts of Enugu. Central Igbo doesn't know Anambra, Imo or Abia.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by MrMacinterchi1: 6:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
Dmec:
Ezimorah is not an Igbo name.
The name Ezimorah can be a name Ezi (abbreviation of "EZINNE"winkand a surname (Morah).

u should analyze it as
"Ezim..." which means "I show" or "To show " "orah" means " the public" or "public" ; so, the name is pure Igbo.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by bigfrancis21: 6:28am On Oct 22, 2018
Franking:

Ihiala, Uli and Amorka area use 'ihe'.Even parts of Enugu. Central Igbo doesn't know Anambra, Imo or Abia.

Those are border areas with Imo North. Their dialects tend to be more centralized and carry features of 'anambra' and 'imo' Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Franking: 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Those are border areas with Imo North. Their dialects tend to be more centralized and carry features of 'anambra' and 'imo' Igbo.

Gbam. I ji ya.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ikechukwu Nwachukwu Dikko Wins US President's Award, Gets Letter From Trump / Babcock University Graduate Gets Car Gift From His Parents At Convocation / Ayodele Dada Honoured By House Of Reps (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.