Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning (47232 Views)

English Words Nigerians Give A Different Meaning / Igbo And Yoruba Languages Now Acknowledged In Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by wowcatty: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2018
Right on!
Ijeshaooduaman:
Stupid thread. Yoruba and ibos are as different as morning and night. Yorubas dont share anything in common with ibos
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by wowcatty: 11:01am On Oct 17, 2018
grin
ogunnoikitaiwo:
the foolishness is when you shouting biafool for 3years,PDP for 9month and Etikulated for 10days nw...that's means there stupidity have PhD... pls don't quote me..
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Iseoluwani: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2018
Earthbound:
Yoruba; Oko - farm, joystick
Igbo; Oko - to itch.

I had a friend whose last name is Ezimorah. Igbo; Ezi- Pig Yoruba; Mora - I bought
A combination of both languages translated into 'I bought pigs' Let's just say he had a really hard time.
so savage.
you can't make heaven with this
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Raydos: 11:08am On Oct 17, 2018
Awesomefred32:
Biko help a brother ooo

RAMOTU in Yoruba

please what does it means in IGBO

It's Ramota not Ramotu, and besides its an Arabic name not Yoruba, you can never see a Christian Yoruba that answers that name
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Mbediogu(m): 11:08am On Oct 17, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu. To itch is "Uko" not "Oko" There is no Igbo name spelt as "Ezimorah"
There is but without the h
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Raydos: 11:12am On Oct 17, 2018
ninodaniel:
otito means praise in Igbo and means e don do in Yoruba
hope I'm ryt my Yoruba folks?
one Yoruba babe wey I gt dt tym use to tell me otito wen I don talk too much

It's "O ti to" there must space because they are 3 different words,, ,, while "Otito" means "Truth" in Yoruba
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Mbediogu(m): 11:12am On Oct 17, 2018
speaktome:
Olanike
Its a Yoruba name (I no no wetin e mean)

In Igbo it means dying suddenly
It can also mean one who does anal sex. Olasofunwa in Igbo means a man who who has only on sex partner.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Raydos: 11:14am On Oct 17, 2018
Mbediogu:

It can also mean one who does anal sex.
Olasofunwa in Igbo means a man who who has only on sex partner.

there's nothing like "Olasofunwa" in Yoruba nah,
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by porthouse7(f): 11:16am On Oct 17, 2018
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Igbos are far greater than the Yorubas in every aspect. Go and argue with your keypad.
go and ask ur father and great grandfather's how go to Ibadan all d way from east to watch TV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by vindisick: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2018
miraclea:
ADA MEANS CUTLASS IN YORUBA
SAME IN
IGBO
That's a lie. "ADA" in igbo means the first girl child of a family. First born
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2018
FakeAccount:

Ndi Igbo simply means Igbo people.

ollaxworld

Ndi Ndi is collective word for group of people, it's always followed by group of people. it can also be ''The''

Ndi Igbo,= Igbo people
Ndi Yoruba Yoruba people
Ndi Calabar = Calabar people
Ndi Ocha = white people
Ndi a = these people
Ndi ahu= those people
Ndi ara= Mad people
Ndi mmuo= spirits
Ndi mmehe= sinners
Ndi eke = slang for Police
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by seanbaba23: 11:26am On Oct 17, 2018
Ayo. Means onions in igbo but it means joy in Yoruba
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Sima04: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
miraclea:
ADA MEANS CUTLASS IN YORUBA SAME IN IGBO
nop ADA means first daughter in Igbo and also If u put signs on top of the two A(s) like ÀDÀ it now meas to fall down to the ground.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
ninodaniel:

ife means light in igbo

And ''something'' in Igbo unless you differentiate them with those signs
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Swagahyk(m): 11:29am On Oct 17, 2018
Dmec:
Ezimorah is not an Igbo name.
The name Ezimorah can be a name Ezi (abbreviation of "EZINNE"winkand a surname (Morah).

Are you OK??
Are you Igbo at all??

Ezimorah is a family name in my kindred, am from Anambra
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Sima04: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2018
Oluwamoney:
What about Ramotu
it means "f**k my p*say" hope u are now satisfied even tho in igbo it is not one word. its more like a sentence
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Kcdojoto(m): 11:35am On Oct 17, 2018
foyeks2001:

What does Olabisi mean in Igbo language?
person that bleeps is the head
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by vindisick: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Swagahyk:

Are you OK??
Are you Igbo at all??

Ezimorah is a family name in my kindred, am from Anambra
With the "h" at the back?
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Gangster1ms:
Otutu means hot in yoruba
Otutu means morning in igbo

Ututu means ''morning'' in Igbo while
Otutu means ''many'' in Igbo
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Sima04: 11:45am On Oct 17, 2018
YorubaMuslims:

But some Igbo words suppose have H.

How can you differenciate Oke(share and Oke(male)? it should be okhe

kwapu(park out) and kwapu(push out)? it should be kwhapu

that's rubbish
Bro,its not rubbish... If u did Igbo language in sec school, u will be taught about tones and signs u will put on top those words O, K & E to give u the required words especially in writing.
Oke rat is more like ÒKÉ
O=low tone
k= normal tone
E=High tone
Thanks
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by OduduaDefender(m): 11:46am On Oct 17, 2018
Akuko: meaning Cockerel or male chicken in Yoruba.
I know it's also an Igbo word but don't know what it means.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Sima04: 11:50am On Oct 17, 2018
OduduaDefender:
Akuko: meaning Cockerel or male chicken in Yoruba.
I know it's also an Igbo word but don't know what it means.

it means "story" or "news"
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 17, 2018
Sima04:

Bro,its not rubbish... If u did Igbo language in sec school, u will be taught about tones and signs u will put on top those words O, K & E to give u the required words especially in writing.
Oke rat is more like ÒKÉ
O=low tone
k= normal tone
E=High tone
Thanks

U didn't understand me, I meant Oke as in Oke nwa or Okeokpa
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Mbediogu(m): 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2018
Raydos:

there's nothing like "Olasofunwa" in Yoruba nah,

OK but I was at UI. What Yoruba name sounds similar to that?
What matters most is the real meaning to the owners of the language not how outsiders like us on Nairaland understand it. If Olaniyi was the have the same igbo meaning to Yoruba's am sure they won't bear it.
I shout out to my great Yoruba friends wherever they may be !
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by daviscoal(m): 12:16pm On Oct 17, 2018
"Ike" is another word which in Yoruba language means "bucket or plastic" but in Ibo language, it means "Power".
Also, "were" means mad/madness/mad person in Yoruba while in Ibo, it means take
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by speaktome(m): 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2018
wowcatty:
speaktome & the rest.

You Igbos can lie sha, oya post some of your texts with these words not referring to Yoruba or bow your heads in shame. I can swear that you don't have a single word with any of these, the closest you can get is joining different words together. You Igbos that don't even have words for most day to day words like the Yoruba. now all of a sudden have Olabisi, Olanike, Olaniyi etc. If you Igbos say it's raining outside people need to actually go and check it to be sure.

Oshi ni ni

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by eallstar: 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2018
igbo girl in yoruba means bush girl
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Konquest: 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2018
gbemishile:
When someone says “One Nigeria”, many Nigerians internally scoff. Some even go as far as doing it on the outside.

This is because Nigeria is full of many tribes who do not seem to have a lot in common.

But when you look closely, many Nigerian tribes have many things in common such as culture, food and even languages.

The Yorubas and Igbos may seem to be as different as the sun and moon. But they have lots in common, especially in language.

Here are 7 words you’d find in both Yoruba and Igbo languages , although they may have different meanings and pronunciations:

1. Ile
Any Yoruba person will tell you that this word means “House”. In the Igbo language, this word means “Tongue”.

2. Enu
In Igbo, enu means “Up” while in Yoruba, it refers to the Mouth.

3. Owu
Can you believe this word means the same thing in both languages? Yes, it does. Owu is both the Yoruba and Igbo word for Thread.

4. Ede
Ede is the Yoruba word for language. It is also the Igbo word for Cocoyam.

5. Olaniyi
In Igbo “Olaniyi” means “Someone that has no value, a waste!” In Yoruba is a name, not just a Name,perhaps it’s a name per excellence which means “Wealth Has Value“. But imagine what the meaning was in Igbo language, someone can’t bear Olaniyi in the east in peace �

6. Aja
Aja is found in both languages albeit with different meanings. In Igbo, Aja means Sand. But it means Dog in Yoruba.

7. Jide
It’s pretty amazing how two different tribes can have the same name for male children. Though to be fair in Igbo, this name is the short form of Jideofor.

In Yoruba, Jide is the short form of Babajide, Olajide etc. In Igbo, Jide means to hold. While in Yoruba, it can mean “has come/resurfaced”.

8. Oja
When someone says the word “oja” in Yoruba, they mean market. In Igbo, Oja is the name given to the flute.

Which Other Words That Has Meaning In Both Tribes, Do You Know?
Drop your comments..
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
[1] Ajumobi is a popular family name in Yoruba.
Ajumobi is coincidentally also used as a name by
some Ibos.

[2] Ajah area of Lekki Peninsula in Lagos State.
Ajah is a name in Ibo language

[3] Okuta means stone in Yoruba.
"Okute" means stone in Ibo.

But I think because of the Igala landbridge
that EXISTS between the Yoruba of Kogi and
Anambra axis [where Igalas are also indigenous]
Some common Yoruboid words that Igalas and Yorubas
share have found their ways into central Ibo language
which was actually created by the British colonialists.

Read more here about the IGALA ROOTS derived from the Jukun/Igala/Yoruba/Edo/Ibo
ancestral connection as told by the current Attah of Igala [His Royal Majesty, Dr. Michael
Idakwo Ameh Oboni].

===> https://punchng.com/im-first-attah-in-igala-history-with-one-wife-ameh-oboni/
Would you mind telling us the origin of the Igala people?

"Talking about the origin of the Igala people, a sizeable group migrated from Wukari in
Taraba State from where they came to Benue along the River Benue and continued very
close to the confluence at a place called Amagede by River Benue and slightly down from
Amagede downwards to Idah and they settled there. And there, they met a sizeable
population of the Yorubas and the Benins and to some extent, some Igbo. So the migrant
population from Wukari merged with them and produced a language called Igala as a people."

Also the Olukumis of Aniocha North in Delta State
[which shares direct boundaries with Esan in Edo State]
and whose ancestors are of Yoruba ancestry via Usen
in Benin. Usen in Edo State was founded by Ife immigrants
and have Edo/Yoruba cultural influences.

Some words may have found their way from the Olukumis
into there Ibo speaking neighbours in Delta North and across
the River Niger into Onitsha Ado axis. The Obi of Onitsha
said this year when the Ooni of Ife came for the 2018 Ofala
Festival that he is a mixture of Edo, Igala, and Ibo
ancestries as a result of the migration of his people
from Edo to then mix with the Igalas and Ibo in Onitsha
Ado.

The Obi of Onitsha said his ancestors were able to CROSS
RIVER NIGER when they left Benin with the help of the
Igala boat men who usually crossed the River Niger.

The Igalas are the original aborigenes of Onitsha
before being joined by others from Benin and
elsewhere .

[4] Olowu is a popular Yoruba aristocratic family name but
I was stunned to see an Ibo man who heads a professional
body in Nigeria bearing Olowu as a surname too!

[5] Obi [Kolanut, Parent, etc in Yoruba]
"Igbobi" in Lagos State is a word contraction that is derived
from Igbo Obi [Kolanut Plantation]. [I read this from a first-hand source
who is now an Oba in Ekiti State. He is a retired Nigerian Army General
in the Finance Corp of the Nigerian Army. He saw the Kolanut Plantations
around the 1920s when he first came to what is now Lagos State].

Obi is a name in Ibo and also it means a dwelling/house.

[6] Ewure [Goat in Yoruba].
Ewu[Goat in Ibo].

[7] Akuko[COCK in Yoruba]. Alakuko means a cock seller, Just like you
have Alausa [which means WALNUT seller/Plantation which used to be located
where Oluwalogbon Motors is now located in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos State].

Okuko[Means Cock in Ibo].

[8] Oyediya [Oye and Diya are Yoruba words!]
Oyediya is an Ibo name used by females.

[9] Uwaleke [Leke is a Yoruba suffix]
Uwaleke is an Ibo name.
[Uwa is also a Bini-Edo name].

[10] Okoro is a Yoruba name.
Okoro is an Ibo name.
Okoro is an Urhobo name.
Okoro is an Itsekiri name.

[11] Oko means farm in Yoruba. [It has up to 5 meanings in Yoruba language but with the same spelling].
Oko is an Ibo word.
Oko is an Itsekiri word.
Oko is an Urhobo word

I'll add some more soon.

Cc: Olu317
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Konquest: 12:31pm On Oct 17, 2018
speaktome:
Olanike

Its a Yoruba name (I no no wetin e mean).

In Igbo it means dying suddenly
^^^^
^^^^
"...dying suddenly?"

Incredible!
grin grin

Olanike [Wealth has care, or
Wealth has/needs doting].

Source: http://yorubaname.com/entries/Ọláníkẹ́
Source: https://www.names.org/n/olanike/about
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by chaberry(m): 12:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
Earthbound:

I suggest you stop your itk attitude before you hurt yourself. I know more than one Ezimorah
It's actually Adimora not Ezimorah
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Elebiju1: 12:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
ChopBellefull:
Okute is stone in igbo and okuta is stone in Yoruba

Akpa is bag in igbo and akpo is bag in youruba
apo can either be bag, sack or pocket. There's nothing like akpo in yoruba language, please stop destroying the language.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by ladilawalopen: 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2018
Elebiju1:
apo can either be bag, sack or pocket. There's nothing like akpo in yoruba language, please stop destroying the language.

Does Negative Thought Lead To Bad Things Happening?
https://nanrai..com/2018/10/does-negative-thought-lead-to-bad.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Benjamin Ola. Akande Appointed As President Of Champlain College In America / Ikechukwu Nwachukwu Dikko Wins US President's Award, Gets Letter From Trump / Babcock University Graduate Gets Car Gift From His Parents At Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.