Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,158 members, 7,953,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! (29825 Views)

Sallah: NATCOM DG, Dr. Baba Mohammed Felicitates With Nigerians / New Year: NATCOM Boss Felicitates With Nigerians / Best Places To Generally Meet Girls In Lahore & Dating Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by ponti93(m): 11:44am On Oct 22, 2018
An insightful write up
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by EMIOMOADEOYE: 11:47am On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:

By May Ebute

https://thenews-chronicle.com/there-is-something-wrong-with-nigerians/

Don't you agree? Seems we need the military strong arm again!!?

Actually its not Nigerians alsone

Its the Human race in its entirety.

Humans generally are selfish and non conformist in nature

Where there is no fear of retribution, anarchy holds sway.

If it was possible to remove all law enforcement modules in climes like US or UK, dont be surprised that the same thing will happen there. Infact it will.

There is reason why its called law ENFORCEment. Make sure that the law is being observed. Otherwise, there was no point making the law in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Quincykay: 12:01pm On Oct 22, 2018
You'll see someone driving without seat belt. They'll only put it on to avoid getting harassed by police, not to save their lives. THE HUGE IRONY is you'll see the children in the back without seat belts and the police will wave them by because the driver has his belt on. That simply means neither the driver or police fully understand the concept of seat belt.

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 12:03pm On Oct 22, 2018
Fhowe:
kindly look up the meaning of carefree and read up my illustration carefully
It seem you and I are not on the same page in terms of the situational context of the word "carefree ". Kindly define yours
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Trottle: 12:08pm On Oct 22, 2018
mechouk1:
Your post is really straight to the point and your observations are all correct. The behaviour you described is what Ex President IBB called "the Nigerian Factor". The Nigerian Factor was considered by his Military Government in things that involved planning and application of models and systems that had worked perfectly in other countries to Nigeria. They usually didn't work in this country unless tailored to our environment.

Hence, I am not a proponent of democracy as practiced abroad at this time because we abuse it. I am also not a proponent of Human Rights as practiced in the more civilised parts of the world. It doesn't work for us currently, as is evident around us.

The long and better fix would be a revamping of our educational system, with mass sensitisation of the populace. This will take at least a generation.

The quick fix would be a patriotic, but strict, detribalised and BRUTAL military regime for 10 to 15 years!

I know most won't agree with me, but remember that we are a people that have and are constantly glorifying and choosing corruption over more noble ideas and deeds.

For example, in the PDP Presidential Primaries amongst the candidates was [/b]Dr Datti Ahmed[b] who was (in my opinion) the best candidate for a progressive Nigeria. He polled only 5 votes because he couldn't make "Dollar Rain".

I wish I could 'like' your post multiples times, very similar to my position.

In sane Countries Dr. Ahmed will be rooted for massively, but instead, they chose a "dollar man". I repeat, until a Patriotic, disciplined and no nonsense leader is massively supported, we are going no where. Nigeria does not need a "politically correct " leader.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Muzikluva(m): 12:10pm On Oct 22, 2018
winj3:

Nigerians have two options, recolonization (this time by China) or revolution - Nigerians are too cowardly to revolt so the first is the only option.
The problem of Nigeria lay squarely on the citizens, they are easily the worst quality citizens in the world!
Man you just spoke my mind!
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 12:18pm On Oct 22, 2018
lexy2014:

Oga, am still waiting 4 ur figures
You should have told me you know nothing regarding this matter . But let me drop hard facts for you :Nigeria's has a population of 180 million of which 86.9 million are living in extreme poverty . This implies that roughly 50% of the population is living under extreme poverty. This also means that in every 10 people you see on the road , 5 are extremely poor (not poor ) . While the remaining(50%) fall within the rich and middle class ,of which, the middle class still forms less than 40% of that population . Hence more poor people than rich people in Nigeria ; hence more illiterates than literates; hence less graduates . Shalom
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by 2019elections: 12:26pm On Oct 22, 2018
sCun:
No need to argue with you further, since you don't even know the difference between literacy level and illiteracy level.

U should know that was a typographic error. I meant literacy not illiteracy in d first paragraph
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by pacespot(m): 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2018
Famzer:

In life it's what you focus on that expands,there is nothing strange about having deviants in a society. If you study sociology you would have been taught.Some months back,British teenagers were sneaking out of UK to join ISIS and the whole world was shocked with repeated school and public shooting massacres in the US.
In that same Jos,an imam provided safe haven for Christians during religious skirmishes. The same Nigeria defeated recession while countries filled with angels like Greece and Venezuela couldn't. This is the Nigeria that's the biggest economy in Africa and trudging on despite our flaws. Instead of lamenting and displaying subtle subterfuge,why don't you pick one area of our national problems as a university graduate and dedicate your best towards solving that problem. You will then have a basis to mobilize others. True leaders don't lament,they face challenges head long and never stop until they overcome the problem.
Finally,when the naysayers say there's casting down,I will say there's a lifting up.

Must we always reference bad examples to justify our actions? Though you have a point that we should rather be doing than talking. That guy gave analyses that typify the true nature of Nigerian problems, the analyses which are the banes of our development as a country. I heard someone saying our problem is poverty, he should go to some south-east Asian countries or some remote areas in India to know what true poverty is, don't forget that China was once poorer than Nigeria in terms of per capita GDP.

Our number one problem is INDICIPLINE, and a little bit of a civilization problem. I know Nigerians will want to justify for that by saying Nigerians are hardworking. You cannot say you're hardworking while you're indiciplined. DICIPLINE is the true meaning of hardwork. I'm one of the people who questioned our transition to democracy, because democracy is the most advanced system of governance that is best fitted for civilized people. Even communism will need heavy handedness to work on Nigerians.

So when you have a group of people that are not civilized but think they know better than civilized people through yahoo-yahoo, you will have a country like Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Sleekfingers: 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2018
We are our own problems....and if we don't change our attitudes...nothing is going to change....or are we expecting some other countries to come and fix our country for us...

Even the so called God have abandoned this country....Nigeria is not a serious country at all.....Malaysia and Singapore comes to mind...

Na to Dey call one yeye Yahweh God to come to our rescue.....no be the same God created china, USA, Saudi Arabia, England,, uae. ? Yeye people
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by SANDAT(m): 12:43pm On Oct 22, 2018
greatcrown:
There is nothing wrong with Nigerians.
Everything highlighted up there is just failed leadership.

In every sane society government will deploy her mercenary to ensure people who are constituting nuisance are adequately punished.

But here in Nigeria, our leaders would rather lament like the OP instead of fixing the problem.

It is so unfortunate that even in your apartment, you could not motivate others to do the right thing.

Anybody can talk about the problem but it will require people of strongly will to come up with solution.

So OP please go back to your house, clean the clogged alternative drainage and encourage those ladies to do same.
Building a stronger and better Nigeria begins with each of us.
Did you just say engage Mercenaries. These mercenaries will be Nigerians for sure. Am sure they will end up collecting money and freeing offenders.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Jaqenhghar: 12:44pm On Oct 22, 2018
Amhappy:
Nigeria is a very complex society. I remember when i was serving and my friend was sick so we visited the government hospital and it was in a very bad state. While chatting with the CMD,he told us that its more than 3 times since he took over efforts have been made to renovate the hospital. But when the money arrives the villagers will mobilize to the hospital and demand that the money should be shared instead.
Can you imagine. Then they will turn round and be blaming leaders.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by themanderon: 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2018
dohyn:
Just this morning I spent 2hours on Agege road going to ikeja. Mad traffic. Saw people passing one way and I was so annoyed. On my way back,the traffic was still there but not as bad as in the early hours.
One guy driving Toyota camry(evil spirit) tinted all over was speeding on our lane,flashing hazard light. I just parked on the road facing him and switched off my car.
He started abusing me,idiot,fool,move over. I didn't respond. People on the other side, in traffic,were telling me to let him pass. One man even said "Mr Governor, make he pass na".
3 hawkers left their sales and were begging to go on my way. I eventually left after 20mins. Passing by the guy, he called me bastard and spat at my car.

In all of this,nobody went to meet him to ask him to turn back. No one. Everybody was asking me to just let him pass.

We shout corruption every time but I put it to you that we are our own problem in this country.

Funnily enough I had the same experience on that road last Friday. People trying to jump lanes, overtaking here and there passing through one way like its your right. Everything is just wrong we spent more the an hour trying to cross from agege back to the express leading to oshodi. It was hell that day.
Surviving in Lagos is a miracle the hold up can kill. The government seems to be helpless and clueless over this situation.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by joe120120(m): 1:04pm On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:

By May Ebute

Thank u brother. we need a leader that is focus on progress of Nigeria with economic background
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by daveP(m): 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2018
zelaws:

Look closely at the campaign bill board covering traffic light
I wonder who even approved that nonsense placement. or If the traffic light isn't in the right place and height. SMH!!

This is Nigeria!!
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:

By May Ebute

First of all we don't need Buhari again.

Secondly, Poverty n Lack of education is the reason why all u listed happens.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Walphem(m): 1:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
Nigeria's situation is similar to many other countries, ours may be prominent in the areas of poor maintenance, I can bet you this thing didnt start overnight..it must have taken a small event to cause the "tip" if we dig deep it may be during the civil war of even before then...until we start loving ourseselves and see each and everyone as "brothers and sisters" we can't change our maintenance culture.

At present the our culture is based on avarice and selfishness. We need to change our curriculum; it must appreciate love, our religion must preach love, our system must embrace love. Until then no matter what you do in your corner the next selfish man will destroy it.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Quigley: 1:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
Nigerians are like kids that need instant gratification. Build a university and hospital well equipped for Nigeria, they will not remember you, but share 5k to them, and oh you are the Messiah. We as a society loves money and demand things instantly instead of enjoying what those money can do instead. Why did you think Buhari decided to share the Abacha loot? He understands Nigerians.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by lexy2014: 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
You should have told me you know nothing regarding this matter . But let me drop hard facts for you :Nigeria's has a population of 180 million of which 86.9 million are living in extreme poverty . This implies that roughly 50% of the population is living under extreme poverty. This also means that in every 10 people you see on the road , 5 are extremely poor (not poor ) . While the remaining(50%) fall within the rich and middle class ,of which, the middle class still forms less than 40% of that population . Hence more poor people than rich people in Nigeria ; hence more illiterates than literates; hence less graduates . Shalom

I can c that u no a lot about this matter. So tell me how did u do ur research 2 have come about these figures? What was ur methodology in coming 2d conclusion "that in every 10 people you see on the road , 5 are extremely poor (not poor)"? Where was ur study location and who were ur study population? Who endorsed ur study as valid? Or u just sat down somewhere 2b calculating what u read from someone else's study?

So how do all these grammar u have written answer d questions about d number of poor people that steal compared with d number of rich people that steal? How does all ur grammar explain y some Nigerians like 2 beat traffic light or y some corpers throw their waste in d drains?
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by poiZon: 2:25pm On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:
Oh come off this stance you stylishly seem to stand by. True Leaders you say, like we are in some continent where rights are respected and society has a smooth sail faster than Usain Bolt to the top. Pls if you cant see the reality of the post up, then no need to join the flow. Your first paragraph is way way off and shows you have little understanding of what was written above.

Wondering if you live in Nigeria atall.

The Military era instilled Discipline and Cleanliness into Nigerians and, that's the only reason I put that there, not cos they were the best for Societal Progression. Wake up pls!!!

You're funny actually, I'd like to follow in your footsteps if you've "picked one aspect of the many problems and solved it" undecided

Act and speak like you know Nigeria!! Gracias.

u dey mind the guy.

what will he say abt just concluded osun election where people sold their votes to the highest bidder not askng questions whr they got the money. even when people n groups even inec frown abt vote buying n selling?
if u come to uyo, the road that links the godswill stadium, the entire stretch of that road has been thrown into darkness due to vandals stealing all the battery from thT solar street light.
this is a road that almost connect a police headquRTERS IN UYO. most times i think nigeria needs to be recolonise.

our forefathers were too quick to seek for independence.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2018
lexy2014:

I can c that u no a lot about this matter. So tell me how did u do ur research 2 have come about these figures? What was ur methodology in coming 2d conclusion "that in every 10 people you see on the road , 5 are extremely poor (not poor)"? Where was ur study location and who were ur study population? Who endorsed ur study as valid? Or u just sat down somewhere 2b calculating what u read from someone else's study?

So how do all these grammar u have written answer d questions about d number of poor people that steal compared with d number of rich people that steal? How does all ur grammar explain y some Nigerians like 2 beat traffic light or y some corpers throw their waste in d drains?
Sir ,I did not come up with these figures ; they were published by international bodies who went round Africa with a view of knowing the number of poor people dwelling in Sub-Saharan African . I believe you read newspapers and have been also been following reports from the World's Poverty Index made available by Brookings Institution . Of recent they published an article on how Nigeria's poverty level has gone beyond India's . Here is the excerpts :
http://saharareporters.com/2018/06/25/nigeria-overtakes-india-country-highest-number-extremely-poor-people-world. Poverty is the root cause of most of the lawless deeds we have in Nigeria . A poor man is not conscious of what he does ; he only conscious of his survival . If poverty is eradicated , the mindset of people will be changed . Shalom

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by CHoccolaTE: 3:03pm On Oct 22, 2018
Amhappy:
Nigeria is a very complex society. I remember when i was serving and my friend was sick so we visited the government hospital and it was in a very bad state. While chatting with the CMD,he told us that its more than 3 times since he took over efforts have been made to renovate the hospital. But when the money arrives the villagers will mobilize to the hospital and demand that the money should be shared instead.

grin grin grin

Lwkmd
what village is that?
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Litmus: 3:15pm On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:

Someone once told me a story about some contractors who were supposed to work on a project in one of the villages in the Niger Delta. I cannot remember what the project was about but l remember that he told me that In the area earmarked for the project, a family shrine stood. The contractors needed to clear the area for work to begin. So they paid some compensation to the family that owned the shrine and then pulled it down.

The next time they got back to that area, where there was one shrine initially, several other shrines had sprung up overnight. Each shrine had an owner claiming it was a family heritage and therefore compensation must be paid to them before any work would start. The more they paid, the more shrines sprung up. The contractors became frustrated and abandoned whatever project it was they were supposed to have started. Whether the project was for the greater good of the community, the villagers didn’t care. All they wanted was immediate financial gratification.

Back in school, a Dangote truck had killed a student. This led to a sort of ‘aluta’ among the angry students. A situation that was soon hijacked by hoodlums to ferment more trouble.

To avoid a repeat of such incident, the govt built speed breakers along the school road and also built an overhead bridge for pedestrians. The first time l walked on that bridge, I swore it would be my last. Instead of a bridge that would form a Safeway for students against fast moving vehicles, It had been turned into a public toilet. The aim of its creation, defeated.

I remember sometime in 2008 in Jos, JMDB had provided a number of waste bins along strategic points. Instead of throwing rubbish on the street, all one had to do was turn around and locate a nearby bin where one could dispose of dirt. Guess what? They didn’t last two weeks. At least the ones on Tafawa Balewa street and west of mines junction to around polo field, did not. They disappeared. Apparently stolen by people who either felt the bins were better off in their houses or who felt the metal used in making them, could be melted and formed into something else that could be sold. It wasn’t long before l noticed that the bins in other parts of Town that l usually frequented, had also disappeared. Those behind their disappearance, must have thought that dirt on the streets of Jos would add a form of beautiful ugliness to the Tin city. It didn’t matter to them that providing those waste bins, was one of govt’s way of keeping the city clean.
I remember the first time l came to Lafia. One of the few things l liked about the town was the way it lighted up beautifully at night, courtesy of the streetlights. It didn’t take long for the lights to stop working. Some hoodlums under the cover of darkness, would little by little, loosen the bolts supporting the lights. They would do this night after night until one day, the bolts would give way and the lights would fall down. I hear there is something they contain ( either the bulbs or the solar panels, l can’t remember which now). Once those things are sold, they bring alot of money to the seller.

Those behind such theft did not care that apart from adding to the aesthetics of a place, the lights also provided Some sort of security for road users at night.
Each time I am on a bike going somewhere, there’s a prayer on my lips. The reason is because some okadas over here, do not obey traffic lights. For some of them, ‘yellow’ which ordinarily means ‘get ready to stop’ is a motivation for them to increase speed and get to the other side before traffic on the green side begins to move rapidly. On the other hand, those whose turn it is to move, don’t even wait for the lights to turn green. Once the timer is some numbers away from one, they just begin to move. Hence you see okada men struggling not to hit each other in the melee that follows. Sometimes they are not so lucky and accidents occur.

The only time they behave themselves is when a traffic warden or a police man stands by the roadside with a whip in hand, ready to flog any traffic offender. When there is none, the traffic lights are as good as invisible. So one finds that, the reason for which the lights were set up in the first place, cannot work if there is no whip carrying official in sight. Mind you, these are full grown adults yet they cannot maintain traffic laws unless they are threatened with a whip like small children. So rather than heave a sigh of relief that with the presence of traffic lights, there would be less chaos and accidents, the opposite has become the sad reality.

My landlord had to create an alternative drainage system when some tenants complained that the one that passed behind their windows, made their rooms smell. This alternative drainage is supposed to be used to dispose of only dirty water but it has become a dustbin of some sort for a couple of female corpers in the compound. That’s where they dispose of their used sanitary pads, their empty bottles, their empty packets of soap and detergent, just name it. Now the drainage is blocked. Water barely passes through. I cleaned it out one time but when it got blocked again, l didn’t bother. The stench from that drainage makes me wonder how some of those girls with rooms close by, manage to breathe. It also makes me wonder whether it was necessary at all for my landlord to bother his head about creating another drainage in the first place. Seeing how the present one has been bastardly abused.
The same set of girls have almost turned our side of the compound into a refuse dump. Almost every corner, is a ground on which to throw dirt. There is a waste bin in front of the compound. Yet they prefer to litter the whole place rather than walk a few metres to dispose of their rubbish.

Someone told me how some Nigerian US based doctors from his state decided to get medical equipment that were no longer in use in their various hospitals, to send to Nigeria. When they arrived Nigeria, they handed over the equipment to an association of doctors in his state. Rather than keep them in govt owned hospitals as agreed, the doctors turned round and sold the equipment to the highest bidders. They put the money in their pockets. These were equipment that were supposed to be of benefit to Nigerians who couldn’t afford to patronise private hospitals.

We all know how messed up PHCN is, right? But do you also know that even with the epileptic power supply, some Nigerians find their way into transformers to steal things?
The other day, my area was thrown into darkness for months. On enquiry, we were told that the transformer had been vandalised. l even hear that sometimes such acts of vandalism are carried out with the connivance of PHCN staff. It doesn’t matter to such thieves that by virtue of their actions, many people will not be able to enjoy even the little light that PHCN manages to supply every now and then.
Only the other day, some pictures made the rounds on social media. They were pictures of the dilapidated state of one of the toilets in the Nigerian High Commission, London. Seeing those pictures, was a sad indication that even outside the country, in saner climes, the poor maintenance attitude of Nigerians sticks out like a sore thumb.
I could go on and on and on. See, l have arrived at the conclusion that, there is something wrong with Nigerians. Something that stops us from doing the right thing as long as we are not negatively affected on an individual level. How else does one explain this desire to abuse and misuse facilities set up to make life easier for us? Everywhere you turn in this country, unless there is a fine or punishment attached, one is sure to find Nigerians eight out of ten times, doing the wrong thing and without any pinch of conscience whatsoever.

There is something really wrong with Nigerians. I wonder exactly what it is but unfortunately l can’t put a name to it. On this period of the celebration of our 58 years of independence, If anything, it is time once again, to look inwards, time to consider rewiring ourselves to understand that our lackadaisical attitude towards the maintenance of public property and law and order, is one of the banes of national development and one reason why we are still where we are 58 years after independence from colonialism. If we are serious about making Nigeria a better place for all, then the time for rethink and repentance, is now.
Happy independence day Nigeria.

By May Ebute

Op nothing wrong with Nigerians. On the contrary the wrong is in the Providers. Providers of all the amenities the Nigerians misappropriated in one form or another were either short-sighted, naive or plainly wilful. Right about now nearly a century of West’s attempts at enabling disparate third world societies, which they encountered and initially exploited, have passed. You’d think therefor that the world is now experienced enough to know how to ameliorate conditions such as the ones in your article. And, indeed, they do, which is why my first sentence exonerated the Nigerians.

Keeping this short: firstly, it is known now that superimposed culture more than not fails. Secondly, in order to mitigate chances of such failures, Providers have to implement an entire infrastructure a sort of technical ecosystem if you like. The saying, ‘give a man a fish, feeds him for a day but teach a man to fish, serves him an entire lifetime” is illustrative. However, the world knows now that further is always required. For instance, teaching the community how to fish does not go far enough when presumably the community used to hunt bush meat and share it among themselves in the community, supplementing the meat with local vegetable. This became difficult because national government agreed with outside world assessment that wildlife needs protecting and subsequently dispensed newly created armed wildlife wardens. Faced with a changing world with which they are unable to successfully adapt, the community became impoverished. Teaching them how to fish without creating an economic system markedly different form that of hunting bush meat, which fishing is similar to, when the real problem is that the world is moving away from subsistence living, will create situations where the locals act like the Nigerians you are condemning. The locals, finding fishing insufficiently compensatory, may well turn the expensive fishing rods, nets and boats provided by Western Providers into bows, dresses and ritual huts respectively. And you may swoon to discover that the locals spend the best part of days praying for food in the boats turned into ritual huts.

If things are to work, don’t provided them in isolation, provide them with systems. Fishing rods, nets, boats (yes) but also lessons in how to sell surplus fishes, roads to the markets of larger towns, craft schools for how to make rods, nets and mend boats etc
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by dabossman(m): 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
daveP:
I don't think it's only the poor that do these stuff. Th3 rich are part and parcel as well. They only cap it off with some entitlement mentality.

I believe it is a poverty of the mind more than that of the pocket.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Billionaire09: 4:45pm On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
...but the bulk of those engaged in such acts come from the poor

Even Nigeria government officials are all doing it as well. Seeing government agencies on roads driving one way, littering rubbish and taking hard drugs/smoking around the road. So pathetic.

People behaviors derived from Nigeria systems.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2018
Billionaire09:

Even Nigeria government officials are all doing it as well. Seeing government agencies on roads driving one way, littering rubbish and taking hard drugs/smoking around the road. So pathetic.

People behaviors derived from Nigeria systems.
True. But poverty is still behind majority
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Windflower(f): 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
From what I have read , everything being said here dwindles down to poverty. The poverty in Nigeria is something worrisome
It's not poverty, I used to think in that direction but it's not. It's called home training. We were all given different home training. I teach in a public school and I see diverse traits in children from different homes. Some would prefer to litter the class when there is a dust bin in front of the class. Some behave like animals. While some are the complete opposite. A boy mistakenly spilled another child's water on the floor. Do you know what he did? He apologized, got mopping stick to clean the floor and replaced the water he spilled. He did all these on his own without anybody reporting him. Now that's a rare gem over there, he is not more than nine years, whereas I know some child in my class would do the opposite of what the boy did. when I traced the boy, it's turns out the boy father is a teacher. I am also a testimony, my parents raised me with nothing and I am still a cool headed person. During my camp days in Nysc a gurl from a rich home would litter the whole room and even pass faeces in the room.
It's not about poverty, it's about individual differences and upbringing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Windflower(f): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2018
dabossman:

Exactly, I would say exposure too
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by daveP(m): 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2018
dabossman:

And the one of the mind has wires that transmit current to affect and bring forth poverty of the pocket. lol. It's a pity!!!

Anywhere you go, the big man feels he is entitled. And more or less in reversal, once people several a potbellied man in a luxury car, they quickly switch on the mental slavery mode so he can "drop something"

Every he goes he is aware someone too wants to worship the sand beneath his shoes..... cycle goes on.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by daveP(m): 5:19pm On Oct 22, 2018
EVILFOREST:
Sorrry
Better PUT......EVERYTHING is wrong with NIGERIANS except BIAFRANS
Its best to take no sides on such a general issue like discussed here. I know the problem my own tribal people contribute as well. I can't because I belong to such tribe be hiding their flaws like they're some saint. This is even part of the issues highlighted above. This helps no one!! Since I was young and now I'm getting old, this same old nemesis of segregation has produce not one progress!!!

Be livid and think deeper pls!!!!
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2018
Windflower:

It's not poverty, I used to think in that direction but it's not. It's called home training. We were all given different home training. I teach in a public school and I see diverse traits in children from different homes. Some would prefer to litter the class when there is a dust bin in front of the class. Some behave like animals. While some are the complete opposite. A boy mistakenly spilled another child's water on the floor. Do you know what he did? He apologized, got mopping stick to clean the floor and replaced the water he spilled. He did all these on his own without anybody reporting him. Now that's a rare gem over there, he is not more than nine years, whereas I know some child in my class would do the opposite of what the boy did. when I traced the boy, it's turns out the boy father is a teacher. I am also a testimony, my parents raised me with nothing and I am still a cool headed person. During my camp days in Nysc a gurl from a rich home would litter the whole room and even pass faeces in the room.
It's not about poverty, it's about individual differences and upbringing.
Most people who engage in lawlessness come from backgrounds riddled with poverty; this a fact that has been proven by making studies into the lives of criminals and miscreants. Even upbringing (whether good or bad ) is still a function of how poor or rich a person background is . I remember taking a survey of kids from my own class . Most of those who spoke and behaved properly came from homes that were well to do(financially) ...they were conscious of what they were doing; their minds were more focus on other things other than survival (which happens to be what the poor man's focus is always on) . The point I am trying to make is : if poverty is checkmated, then moral decline in our society would reduce drastically .
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Toseenlove: 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2018
sCun:
Are you saying the South west is more educated than the South east? Where did you get your statistics from?
The south east has the highest literacy level in Nigeria

Look at these one spewing Thrash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTO: Which Of These Is More Creative? / 7 Things Every Man Must Know Before He Clocks 40 / Mysterious People You Have Met In Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.