Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,141 members, 7,849,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:18 AM

Which Way Nlng? - Jobs/Vacancies (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Way Nlng? (211377 Views)

GMAT BOOKS,NLNG,DRAGNET,SHL,SHELL,EDITABLE RESUME TEMPLATES,RESUME MAKER PRO(PC) / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:03pm On May 09, 2008
kenosky:

[size=16pt]from the way u sound, i think its best if no one responds to your post any more! u tend to take things too personal! it shouldnt be like that![/size]

[size=18pt]its true what they say 'a man's name will order his footsteps!' crazy color u indeed live up to your crazy name! Must u post? Or havent u heard the saying 'that if u have nothing to say undecided, u should just blow whistle'? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed[/size]

Monkey no fine, but im mama like am, abi Stannesi? cool
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 5:13pm On May 09, 2008
pak, thanx for that reminder- i ope say people go appreciate their country more! @all, thank God its friday- av a great weekend!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:44pm On May 09, 2008
Stannesi, after I have responded to Niyoo, please critique my views, seeing that I have come to respect your mind:

1. Response to Niyoo's first paragraph: I believe it has been said that great minds discuss issues and not persons.

2. Response to Niyoo's second paragraph: Risks are sometimes necessary for growth; but even the mosts needful of risks should be managed. I mean, who enjoys losing?

3. Response to Niyoo's third paragraph: Inflation does not simply eat at the value of saved money. It eats at the value of all money, including that earned via investing.

4. Response to Niyoo's fourth paragraph: Very many people (including the reverred Chinua Achebe) have blamed Africa's regression on leadership. But I beg to ask: Is it the political substructure that is directly responsible for GNP growth, or does it simply povide the enabling environment in which productive economic factors (land, capital, entrepreneurship and labour) thrive in peace, stability and the rule of law and equity?

5. Response to Niyoo's fifth paragraph: The question of poor infrastructure in Nigeria is the proverbial chick-and-egg quandary. Take solar energy for example. Do you sincerely think that if an entrepreneur were to float a company that could make use of solar energy in the generation of electricity possible the government would stop him? If your answer is yes, would it be the fault of government, or pressure from tribalistic and other negative forces displayed by the populations themselves?

6. Response to Niyoo's sixth to ninth paragraphs: Coordination of as many as one hundred financially endowed youths is indeed a novel enterprise. It is probably not the usual company; but if organizations like Rotary International, Junior Chambers International and so on can coordinate thousands of members all over the world (even though they are non-profit), I think a profit-oriented company with committed members is similarly possible.

7. Response to Niyoo's tenth paragraph: Indeed, individuals differ, and have diverse ideas and ideals. This is true. Also, 'opinion is free, even though facts are sacred'.

8. Response to Niyoo's eleventh paragraph: I beg you to note that Kwame Nkrumah did say that Black Africans were poor in mind. He said this in certain inaugural discourses he made as first president of independent Ghana. In fact, he called this poverty of mind the worst bane for Africa. And yes, there are some Black people that are creative, but as you yourself say, they 'sometimes (I dare say more often than not) turn [their] creativity to negative activities'.

Niyoo, you wrote a long discourse. Stannesi, I invite you to critique my dissection of it.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:47pm On May 09, 2008
kenosky:

pak, thanx for that reminder- i ope say people go appreciate their country more! @all, thank God its friday- av a great weekend!

Appearance is not always reality. This is a problem of philosophy.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 7:07pm On May 09, 2008
kuwena:

Appearance is not always reality. This is a problem of philosophy.

bro, myanmar is as real as real can get!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by stannesi(m): 10:44pm On May 09, 2008
UNA TOO MUCH!!

@Kuwena, d renaissance man u sabi Biology wella, see hw u dissect this niyo novel like frog, u too much,
i remembered sometin u said about sacrificing your Girl friend, talk true u be Player, lol, anyhw sha i feel your thoughts

@Niyoo - You try 4 that bestseller novel. u too much,
Me i no dey argue, i dey talk ma own, as i see am, i guess everyone of us does dsame, trust me I love Niaja rotten, (no miss read my lang. na possitive talk be that) i did not say what i said because i hear am 4 TV or radio, I know & seen lots of creative Nigerians with diff. style, every country has dier problems, as 2Pak said talk about d cyclone stuff (i feel 4 them anyhow God dey, na why he make philanthropist like Bill Gate rich, he don do d same 4 me and all of us) other country don experience Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, hurricane this and that , but 4 naija na d people be d natural disaster, no hard feelins, everytin is all about each individual mindset, u go blame us, at all, na u get yourself. "your folks your country might me responsible 4 your current situation, but u're u will hold yourself responsible if u remain in that situation" i no fit shout, i get yarns. ooo, we too dey discuss problems, and solution, nobody wants to take action, na here we still dey, some people dey wait 4 vision 2020, them no know say, dey dey part of d people wey go make am possible, u see my point, (me sef no see my own point, but if u do enlight me ooo)

omo see me ooo, i no believe say i write this thin 4 up▲, na wa oo, when i read am i wan even argue wit ma self anyhow sha,
If you can’t convince them, confuse them. lol tongue

@2Pak - u too much.

@Keno - philanthropist, na u know ooo, "Meat wey u no go chop, no use your teeth share am" LOL no worry, i go try dey still draw,, u too much,

@Opoks, (donald trump II) borrow borrow, hw u dey?? any hw sha i respect u, u too much,

Where Aniffy sef, he go just drop one bomb comot, We wan buy suit, wey u go use go boardroom, 4 d comp. why Niyoo wan open 4 us, , u too much

and d rest una too much

i'm don Yarn, i hav spoken., and i'm out, i don comot!! enjoy
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 11:03pm On May 09, 2008
Goodevening Chaps! Good to see how the thread's been performing. I popped in briefly in the last couple of days but couldn't respond at once.

Some posters whom I thought I knew are actually surprising (shocking?) me with their recent posts, which borders so much on antagonism, but it's ok, anyway, agreed to let it pass. Pardon me, chaps, lemme send in my full contribution tomorrow.

Goodnite and happy weekend!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by stannesi(m): 11:14pm On May 09, 2008
Dedicated to Keno, lol
.-. .-.
.--' / \ '--.
'--. \ _______ / .--'
\ \ .-" "-. / /
\ \ / \ / /
\ / \ /
\| .--. .--. |/
| )/ | | \( |
|/ \__/ \__/ \|
/ /^\ \
\__ '=' __/
|\ /|
|\' "VUUUV" '/|
\ ` """"""" ` /
`-._____.-'
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
,-' ( ) `-,
`-'._) (_.'-`
DOWN ▼RED UP ▲BLUE Count-down 11 days before d D-day
▲Barca lol, can't help it man, Omo he no easy sha,

if u no like no vex ooo. na Art me i dey see, i no know wetin your eye and your mind dey see, na u know, na your head carry am, no be my own, lol
Re: Which Way Nlng? by niyooo(m): 1:15am On May 10, 2008
Much as I'll like to just siddon look and see other people's ideas on the issues being discussed, I just can't help but respond to some.  wink Don't worry It'll be brief.  cheesy

I'll narrow it down to Nigeria and not developed countries where they have a more realistic figure for their inflation figure. I'm sure I never suggested that inflation only reduces the value of saved money, so please I don't want to be quoted out of context. The difference between saving and investing is that with investing, the potential exists for the invested funds to grow at a rate faster than the inflationary rate. With savings, inflation in Nigeria will just rubbish the money with the rate one can get for the saved funds (Abi how much Intercontinental dey pay on fixed deposit? Not to talk of mere savings). So one is better off investing than saving because that way you have a chance or preserving if not increasing the "real" value of your money.

Kuwena when analysing issues that have to do with industries and production and all that, wise up to the fact that the world is a global village and different countries have "comparative advantage" to produce different products and even after factoring in transportation costs and other associated costs, the costs of such products are still cheaper than what may be obtained in other countries without such advantages. The way Nigeria is right now, we do not have any advantage to compete with any country at all because whatever advantages we had has been frittered away over the years. For example, we now import oil from Malaysia though we gave the kernels to them in the first place.

I don't think i get your point with the GNP thingy so maybe you'll explain better next time ko? Before you start accusing me of not reading and understading you well.  lipsrsealed

You are talking about solar energy!!! Why is it that companies that were given licenses to build refineries so many years ago haven't done that? Even those that have been chopping our oil right from the git go haven't built a single refinery? If you answer that then i might respond to that post.

Rotary International and other such Organisations are not full time projects for the members and whatever contributions they make are voluntary. I don't see the basis for comparison with what you proposed. Getting 100 young enterprising individuals to come together to do whatever. That's just not feasible. As i asked how do they operate? There has to be a constitution or something or else you'll have 100 people pulling in a hundred different directions. For example why should an Annify or Alfa or Wandel or any of the others leave their current jobs to come together to take directions from a Kenosky or Opoks or Stan even if they don't agree with his proposed project? 

The good thing about life is one chooses who or what you want to believe, that's what makes us unique in our own different ways. You chose to agree with one great "Nkurumah" and disagree with another "Achebe". That's okay.

I'll stop here. I want to read from others. It's the best way to learn. Y? When one talks (types, writes etc) you only type what you know but when you read (listen) to others you get to hear what you may not know. Kuwena I'm very sure it's not only Stan you want to hear from, though I don't see much correlation between what you both are typing but I'm sure you don't only want to hear from someone who agrees with you,  Or do you? Nah I'm sure you don't, that would be Sycophancy which we always accuse our leaders of doing.  angry

I choose not to comment on your other postings now,not because i agree with them but because i want to hear other peoples views. The ones i responded to, i just couldn't let go. So other people over to una.

@ Pak, thanks for reminding us all to look beyond our immediate problems atimes and see other people's own. The Burma case is just so disheartening, but i think things are getting better.

Kenosky, na you Stan draw for there? Chei!!! Na wah o. See wetin exam cause.  shocked grin

Na wah o. The thing still long. embarassed
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 2:01am On May 10, 2008
Well, I've been having some thoughts on the Burma situation

and am really torn between two opinions.

Whether to support the 'humanitarian intervention' being touted by France

which boils down to more or less a forceful incursion into the

desperately impoverished country or still back those insisting on

negotiations and dialogue.

Am all for respecting the sovereignty of states, else this world will become some

sort of jungle, the type Hitler was cooking up.

but in this case, am not really sure there's any way a gentleman's approach will work
You can't just put sense into the head of people who have decided not to use their brains.

Initially France's suggestion were rebuffed by key international players

but as hours and days they pass by its becoming more obvious that something

rather drastic will have to be done.

Well lets just see how things turn out.

Another issue that's been coming up is the role US is going to play in the whole saga

Unconfirmed reports say UN Sec Gen, the moon guy might just back a US - led

'humanitarian intervention' (that english sef funny, why don't they just call it invasion)

Some see it as an opportunity for President Bush to burnish is foreign policy legacy

while others believe it will just indelibly etch the 'US is just a big bully impression'.

Another question is, if such an intervention/invasion were to occur,

should it begin and end with the provision and distribution of relief

or should there be a push for a regime change?

Questions, questions.

What are our enlightened opinions?

As far as am concerned, whatever the case might be

its MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN for the despots
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 2:15am On May 10, 2008
niyooo:

@ Pak, thanks for reminding us all to look beyond our immediate problems atimes and see other people's own. The Burma case is just so disheartening, but i think things are getting better.

Thanks for the response, but I really don't see how things are getting better,

people are still dying in their thousands and there is the imminent danger of an epidemic breaking out.

The Burmese govt yesterday seized relief supplies brought in by the  UN world food program

( I never hear that kin thing before)

and have refused to allow 'western' aid worker entry into the country.

Some hours ago they allowed a US cargo plane delivering supplies entry but not the

personnel yet it is so obvious to everybody that the govt does not have the wherewithal

to effectively distribute the aid materials.

Bodies are still floating in the waters, my brother, things are not yet looking up

we still got to pray
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 2:47am On May 10, 2008
Wow shocked shocked shocked. . . . this thread has been really busy!!!

Sorry guys, i have been AWOL. . . i have been outta civilisation, i wrote something on my experience on my blog; please visit and leave a comment. Thanks . www.folayemianifowoshe.

Ok, so back to our discussion. . .

Niyoo has actually spoken my mind on a lot of the issues discussed, so i don't think it makes any sense to repeat his thoughts. You asked a question about the kind of efficient market hypothesis that's being practiced on the NSE.

My thoughts:

If i am limited to the three forms (Weak, Semi-strong and Strong), i would stick with "Weak" form. My decision is based on the following xtics of this form:-

- You can't make superior returns based on historical share prices only.
- Fundamental analysis is favoured to provide more returns than Technical analysis
- the current share prices are the best unbiased, estimate of the value of the stock (as perceived by the investors/ market) and the value (either undervalued or overvalued) can be determined by Fundamental analysis. . .i.e. looking thru financial statements.

Disclosure - i am a fundamental investor. . . tongue

@ Stannesi

I'm sorry about dropping bombs and running off. grin. . . Please refer to my earlier explanation for my absence ; or just check through my blog. wink
lol @ your joke about the board room. . . grin

stannesi:

If you can’t convince them, confuse them. lol tongue

And you did exactly that!!! tongue grin grin

I read somewhere about an entrepreneur providing solar energy as a business in Naija, its a well known fact that provision of alternative sources of energy (solar inclusive) is very expensive and not a viable alternative to what we have now. Citizens of most of the countries that can afford it, already enjoy uninterrupted power supply tongue. I remember i did a little research on the cost of powering a duplex (this was years ago) in Naija and the cost had gotten to N25m. shocked This even had the exemption of some of the A/Cs in the house o! Even though, it must be cheaper by now, it is still not considered a viable option. Most of the poor Asian/ African countries that use it usually power very basic appliances. While a number of them are also used for research purposes, ( i think) undecided

@ All - Off topic

We have talked about how inflation erodes the value of money overtime, but don't you think that for an economy to undergo development, a little inflation is a key factor? If i am not mistaken, Inflation is caused by increased money supply in a system, without a commensurate increase in goods and services; hence leading to more money being exchanged for the same quantity of goods/ services. This, in essence, reduces the people's purchasing power. i.e. They can now buy less with the same amount of money they had before the injection of funds. This reminds me of the trade-off between inflation and unemployment. For the govt. to reduce unemployment by going into huge capital expenditure, it has to inject money into the system which results in inflationary tendencies. smiley

Got to hit the sack. I'll continue tomorrow . . . Good night
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 6:03am On May 10, 2008
[size=15pt]aniffy, niyoo and alfaprime- ur posts these days are remarkable (no b say dem neva dey like so since una show for thread o!). Keep up the good work! Pak, wetin man go do na? the military junta in that country knows wat evil they are perpertrating- the Ibos have a saying which when transliterated reads 'the man who kills with the matchete is always uneasy whenever a matchete is brought close to him'.
Niyoo, actually na u wey stannesi draw (with him post wey end up confusing only himself grin cheesy).

@all, hav a great weekend![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 2:15pm On May 10, 2008
kenosky:

[size=15pt]aniffy, niyoo and alfaprime- your posts these days are remarkable (no b say them never dey like so since una show for thread o!). Keep up the good work! Pak, wetin man go do na? the military junta in that country knows what evil they are perpertrating- the Ibos have a saying which when transliterated reads 'the man who kills with the matchete is always uneasy whenever a matchete is brought close to him'.
Niyoo, actually na u wey stannesi draw (with him post wey end up confusing only himself grin cheesy).

@all, hav a great weekend![/size]

'Some kinds of communication on some kinds of issues, brought to the attention of some kinds of people in some kinds of situations have some kinds of effects.'
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 2:29pm On May 10, 2008
1. Yemi, what exactly is 'fundamental investor'?

2. Niyoo, Kwame Nkrumah was a politician. Achebe is a writer. Who would I rather believe on political issues? (recall the error called 'ad verencundiam'?)

3. Stannesi, thumbs up. You be correct guy, anyday.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:21pm On May 10, 2008
Niyoo, I know that what I am about to do now is foolish. I am about to explain myself to you, even though Robert Greene (author of the 48 Laws of Power) has said that the more we explain ourselves, the more we risk being misunderstood. Pardon this indiscretion.

It is not in your place, Niyoo, to outrightly say that my 'business proposal' is not practicable. You are NOT an authority on businesses. And to listen to you on this issue would be stupid.

For your information, I WILL soon enough float at least one such company, in the United States of America. And it will not be up to eight years from now. I will go ahead and get 100 committed and financially endowed individuals (probably not including you), and we will float this kind of company. And it will be a revolution.

Very many things are possible. There was no aeroplane before the Wright brothers invented one; there was no electricity before Faraday; there was no atomic bomb before Einstein; even when Emeagwali was crafting his supercomputer, many thought he was mad. But he did it, and won the Gordon Bell prize.

There are so many things I have done in private that I am yet to publish. I have not been able to publish them all this while because I live in Nigeria (and you know what Nigeria is). As of today I have five unpublished literary works:

1. Ninety Negro Numbers (a 258-page autobiographical song-book)
2. Membusoje Doherty (another 258-page full-length novel)
3. The African Verses (a collection of 120 poems, not yet typed, but handwritten)
4. A Planner Defiled A People and Two Other Plays (not yet typed, but handwritten)
5. Small Small So Say (a full-length novel not completed)

I have also been working on many hypotheses in communication, mysticism and pseudoscience, such as the Catparian classification, which is the fusion of the Zodiac and the Enneagram to produce 48 personality types. I am also drawing up pseudo-spiritual and pseudo-psychological theories that blend modern witchcraft with astrology, seances and religion. But most of these works cannot bloom here in Nigeria, I think. (I may be wrong).

One project I intend to undertake is to be the first to fuse the usual company with the usual non-profit organization. I came up with the framework while still at Ofada. I said that I would gather 100 individuals. And I will. These individuals would contribute each a fixed amount over a period of one year into a common pool.

Logic of the above: Cults have donations that bind them, usually one another's blood that they drink during meetings. Cult masters collect followers who are willing to donate their 'precious' blood, and drink other people's blood even at the risk of HIV/AIDS. The task for me would be to, through extensive persuasion, comb the USA and look for 100 people who can commit their 'precious' money and form a cult-company.

Of these hundred individuals, twenty would resign their jobs and float the company proper. The rest 80 would still be cult members. Now, in ordinary parlance, they would be called the board of directors (non-executive directors).

Logic of the above: Cults have members with specific portfolios, who have specific roles to perform. These roles justify their existence in the Fraternity. In the case of the Catpar, the cult-company, the purpose is simply not to be a cult, but to facilitate the industrial and psychological transformation of Africa. The Brotherhood, having 'assumed' that it is industries that Africa needs would not be content with only spiritual activities, but with economic ones as well.

Now, the twenty executive directors would divide themselves into four:

a. Outreach
b. Business Development
c. Financial Management
d. Corporate Affairs.

a. Outreach: The individuals in Outreach would be responsible for going 'out there' to scout for creative geniuses. These would be people who can create stuff, but do not have the money or the savvy to turn their bright ideas into businesses. They would be black people primarily, and they would be willing to share their ideas with our Cult-company, so that we can help them. The outreach people would use multi-media approaches to collect these people. They would be social workers, mass communicologists and social psychologists, among others.

b. Business Development: The individuals in Business Development would be responsible for turning the creative ideas proposed by the geniuses into viable businesses. They would serve as representatives with banks that may sometimes be called upon to provide the necessary funding. They would also help the geniuses to plan workable business proposals, and to draw up Memoranda of Understanding and what have you. Individuals here would have studied Business Administration, Economics, Banking and Finance; but they would also have studied Art, Engineering and so forth, as geniuses could come from these areas.

c. Financial Management: The individuals in Financial Management would be responsible for making sure that that initial pool of money that the Cultists (Board of Directors) contributed kept multiplying. They would invest such money in long, short and medium term deals. They would make sure that the asset base of the company kept ever strong, so that the company lived forever.

d. Corporate Affairs: The individuals in Corporate Affairs would be responsible for the day-to-day running of the company: secretaries; clerks; lawyers, human resource persons, and so forth. They would be in charge of business and external relations as well. They would also keep the company's books. The HR people in particular would be in charge of recruiting from outside. They would induct new 'cultists' who have no shares, but who work for the company. Their status in the Cult though would differ.

Now, as a Cult, the Catpar would function as a cult. All the Hundred Brothers would have both financial and moral stakes in it. Financial because they contributed cash to the company charged with the practical aspect of bringing a radical developmental change to Africa, and Moral because they would promise to stick to all the emotional (or psychological, or spiritual, depending on how you view it) ideals of the Cult. They would attend meetings, share things in common; they would love one another as Brothers. They would practice the Spiritual exercises, and learn about the separation, development, integration and transcendence of the human personality, sexuality, spirituality and vocation; they would also learn how to be measures and ends for all humanity. It will NOT be a secret cult. Activities of the Cult will be published in all the media, and the cult would have a regular teevee program: HEALING THE MOTHERLAND. This program would be geared towards using the television to campaign for radical developmental change for Africa. By the by it would even have its own station, like Christ Embassy does. It will be non-religious, and there will be no oaths, or wearing of sacred uniforms. Sacrifices, if any, would be free-willed and entirely psychological, like my Three Sacrifices. There will be NOTHING secret about the Catpar.

As a company, it will be a Public Limited Liability Company, just like others. Name them: Intercontinental, UBA, Globacom, and so forth. As a company, it will be registered with the requisite body in the USA, and incorporated under its laws. As a company, it will be a Corporate entity and contribute to the American economy first, and then to the rest of the world. As a company, it will pay corporate taxes, and publish Financial Statements, showing Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss, and Corporate Social Responsibility statistics. As a company, it will pay regular dividends to the Hundred Brothers and to as many as would join later. There will be two or more kinds of membership: Brothers, and Workers. The former would own shares, and the later would simply be employed by the company. It will be a regular company in the sense of all the foregoing.

I fear I have said too much. But I am not just ranting. I intend to do all I have said. And believe me, I will try to the best of my ability. And if it does not work, it will not be because I did not try. But in a corner of my heart, I know somehow that it will work. All it will take is PERSUASION. Lots and lots of it. To get 99 others like me.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 3:24pm On May 10, 2008
kuwena:

Niyoo, I know that what I am about to do now is foolish. I am about to explain myself to you, even though Robert Greene (author of the 48 Laws of Power) has said that the more we explain ourselves, the more we risk being misunderstood. Pardon this indiscretion.

It is not in your place, Niyoo, to outrightly say that my 'business proposal' is not practicable. You are NOT an authority on businesses. And to listen to you on this issue would be stupid.

For your information, I WILL soon enough float at least one such company, in the United States of America. And it will not be up to eight years from now. I will go ahead and get 100 committed and financially endowed individuals (probably not including you), and we will float this kind of company. And it will be a revolution.

Very many things are possible. There was no aeroplane before the Wright brothers invented one; there was no electricity before Faraday; there was no atomic bomb before Einstein; even when Emeagwali was crafting his supercomputer, many thought he was mad. But he did it, and won the Gordon Bell prize.

There are so many things I have done in private that I am yet to publish. I have not been able to publish them all this while because I live in Nigeria (and you know what Nigeria is). As of today I have five unpublished literary works:

1. Ninety Negro Numbers (a 258-page autobiographical song-book)
2. Membusoje Doherty (another 258-page full-length novel)
3. The African Verses (a collection of 120 poems, not yet typed, but handwritten)
4. A Planner Defiled A People and Two Other Plays (not yet typed, but handwritten)
5. Small Small So Say (a full-length novel not completed)

I have also been working on many hypotheses in communication, mysticism and pseudoscience, such as the Catparian classification, which is the fusion of the Zodiac and the Enneagram to produce 48 personality types. I am also drawing up pseudo-spiritual and pseudo-psychological theories that blend modern witchcraft with astrology, seances and religion. But most of these works cannot bloom here in Nigeria, I think. (I may be wrong).

One project I intend to undertake is to be the first to fuse the usual company with the usual non-profit organization. I came up with the framework while still at Ofada. I said that I would gather 100 individuals. And I will. These individuals would contribute each a fixed amount over a period of one year into a common pool.

Logic of the above: Cults have donations that bind them, usually one another's blood that they drink during meetings. Cult masters collect followers who are willing to donate their 'precious' blood, and drink other people's blood even at the risk of HIV/AIDS. The task for me would be to, through extensive persuasion, comb the USA and look for 100 people who can commit their 'precious' money and form a cult-company.

Of these hundred individuals, twenty would resign their jobs and float the company proper. The rest 80 would still be cult members. Now, in ordinary parlance, they would be called the board of directors (non-executive directors).

Logic of the above: Cults have members with specific portfolios, who have specific roles to perform. These roles justify their existence in the Fraternity. In the case of the Catpar, the cult-company, the purpose is simply not to be a cult, but to facilitate the industrial and psychological transformation of Africa. The Brotherhood, having 'assumed' that it is industries that Africa needs would not be content with only spiritual activities, but with economic ones as well.

Now, the twenty executive directors would divide themselves into four:

a. Outreach
b. Business Development
c. Financial Management
d. Corporate Affairs.

a. Outreach: The individuals in Outreach would be responsible for going 'out there' to scout for creative geniuses. These would be people who can create stuff, but do not have the money or the savvy to turn their bright ideas into businesses. They would be black people primarily, and they would be willing to share their ideas with our Cult-company, so that we can help them. The outreach people would use multi-media approaches to collect these people. They would be social workers, mass communicologists and social psychologists, among others.

b. Business Development: The individuals in Business Development would be responsible for turning the creative ideas proposed by the geniuses into viable businesses. They would serve as representatives with banks that may sometimes be called upon to provide the necessary funding. They would also help the geniuses to plan workable business proposals, and to draw up Memoranda of Understanding and what have you. Individuals here would have studied Business Administration, Economics, Banking and Finance; but they would also have studied Art, Engineering and so forth, as geniuses could come from these areas.

c. Financial Management: The individuals in Financial Management would be responsible for making sure that that initial pool of money that the Cultists (Board of Directors) contributed keeps multiplying. They would invest such money in long, short and medium term deals. They would make sure that the asset base of the company kept ever strong, so that the company lived forever.

d. Corporate Affairs: The individuals in Corporate Affairs would be responsible for the day-to-day running of the company: secretaries; clerks; lawyers, human resources, and so forth. They would be in charge of business and external relations as well. They would also keep the company's books. The HR people in particular would be in charge of recruiting from outside. They would induct new 'cultists' who have no shares, but who work for the company. Their status in the Cult though would differ.

Now, as a Cult, the Catpar would function as a cult. All the Hundred Brothers would have both financial and moral stakes in it. Financial because they contributed cash to the company charged with the practical aspect of bringing a radical developmental change to Africa, and Moral because they would promise to stick to all the emotional (or psychological, or spiritual, depending on how you view it) ideals of the Cult. They would attend meetings, share things in common; they would love one another as Brothers. They would practice the Spiritual exercises, and learn about the separation, development, integration and transcendence of the human personality, sexuality, spirituality and vocation; they would also learn how to be measures and ends for all humanity. It will NOT be a secret cult. Activities of the Cult will be published in all the media, and the cult would have a regular teevee program: HEALING THE MOTHERLAND. This program would be geared towards using the television to campaign for radical developmental change for Africa. By the by it would even have its own station, like Christ Embassy does. It will be non-religious, and there will be no oaths, or wearing of sacred uniforms. Sacrifices, if any, would be free-willed and entirely psychological, like my Three Sacrifices. There will be NOTHING secret about the Catpar.

As a company, it will be a Public Limited Liability Company, just like others. Name them: Intercontinental, UBA, Globacom, and so forth. As a company, it will be registered with the requisite body in the USA, and incorporated under its laws. As a company, it will be a Corporate entity and contribute to the American economy first, and then to the rest of the world. As a company, it will pay corporate taxes, and publish Financial Statements, showing Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss, and Corporate Social Responsibility statistics. As a company, it will pay regular dividends to the Hundred Brothers and to as many as would join later. There will be two or more kinds of membership: Brothers, and Workers. The former would own shares, and the later would simply be employed by the company. It will be a regular company in the sense of all the foregoing.

I fear I have said too much. But I am not just ranting. I intend to do all I have said. And believe me, I will try to the best of my ability. And if it does not work, it will not be because I did not try. But in a corner of my heart, I know somehow that it will work. All it will take is PERSUASION. Lots and lots of it. To get 99 others like me.

[size=15pt]Good luck![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 3:27pm On May 10, 2008
kuwena:

2. Niyoo, Kwame Nkrumah was a politician. Achebe is a writer. Who would I rather believe on political issues? (recall the error called 'ad verencundiam'?)

[size=15pt] undecided, Its a free world![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 3:39pm On May 10, 2008
kuwena:

1. Yemi, what exactly is 'fundamental investor'?

In simple terms, a fundamental investor is one that analyzes financial statements, examines the health of the company's management, looks at income statements, competitive advantage, competition and macroeconomic conditions before making investment decisions. I hope that answers yoru question. . . wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:42pm On May 10, 2008
aniffy4eva:

In simple terms, a fundamental investor is one that analyzes financial statements, examines the health of the company's management, looks at income statements, competitive advantage, competition and macroeconomic conditions before making investment decisions. I hope that answers yoru question. . . wink

It does; and thank you.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:44pm On May 10, 2008
Am I right to suppose, then, that a technical investor is one who goes by the stock prices and possible recommendations from stock brokers who may not have all the 'fundamental' info?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 3:52pm On May 10, 2008
Well, Kuwena. . .

Such businesses that are created as a fusion of a profit-oriented company with a not-for-profit company are referred to as Social Businesses. You might want to look at the Grameen-Danone model. Its a partnership between Grameen (Yunus) and the French yogurt making company Danone to provide nutritious yogurt to malnourished children in Bangladesh, and making enough profit to make it self-sustainable, at the very least.

You might also want to pick up his book, "Creating a world without poverty"- he (Yunus) wrote extensively on it.

Although the ownership structure is much different from what you have said, i think you can pick up an idea or two from the book.

Disclosure - i am not Yunus' sales rep oh!. . . grin
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 3:58pm On May 10, 2008
kuwena:

Am I right to suppose, then, that a technical investor is one who goes by the stock prices and possible recommendations from stock brokers who may not have all the 'fundamental' info?

Well, yes and no. in the very basic form, a technical investor uses mainly stock prices (past and present) and volumes of the stock that were traded in previous sessions to make investment decisions. Thats the "yes" bit.

As for the "No" bit, if you rely solely on recommendations from your broker, that doesn't make you a technical investor. Recommendations are good as a tool, but not as the ONLY yardstick. Always remember that whatever you do, the broker will always get his commission.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 4:00pm On May 10, 2008
Niyoo my dear, you asked about GNP. GNP means Gross National Productivity. It simply means the value in dollars of everything produced by citizens of a country who live inside or outside that country.

I mentioned it in  my earlier post because I was asking if it was government that was directly responsible for the produce value of a country to grow, or if they were simply to make sure there was political stability, so that the factors of production (which are what are directly responsible for increase in GNP) could increase the GNP without hitch.

Feel me?  
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 4:05pm On May 10, 2008
aniffy4eva:

Well, Kuwena. . .

Such businesses that are created as a fusion of a profit-oriented company with a not-for-profit company are referred to as Social Businesses. You might want to look at the Grameen-Danone model. Its a partnership between Grameen (Yunus) and the French yogurt making company Danone to provide nutritious yogurt to malnourished children in Bangladesh, and making enough profit to make it self-sustainable, at the very least.

You might also want to pick up his book, "Creating a world without poverty"- he (Yunus) wrote extensively about it.

Although the ownership structure is much different from what you have said, i think you can pick up an idea or two from the book.

Disclosure - i am not Yunus' sales rep oh!. . . grin

Hmmm. This is good, Yemi. I never even knew such businesses existed! Guy, you're so intelligent. I'll google the author straightaway. Thanks. You can see now why I love you, right?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 4:09pm On May 10, 2008
aniffy4eva:

Well, yes and no. in the very basic form, a technical investor uses mainly stock prices (past and present) and volumes of the stock that were traded in previous sessions to make investment decisions. Thats the "yes" bit.

As for the "No" bit, if you rely solely on recommendations from your broker, that doesn't make you a technical investor. Recommendations are good as a tool, but not as the ONLY yardstick. Always remember that whatever you do, the broker will always get his commission.

I'm 100% sure you are correct, my dear. I'm a sucker for intelligent people anyday, Yemi. And I'm googling the guy now. Dr. M. Yunus, a nobel peace prize winner, and an economist and banker. Yemi, you must be an avid reader. A hug for you; take it!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by stannesi(m): 10:24pm On May 10, 2008
Hey people, i don read tire, omo see Thread, una just dey use long needle sew anyhw sha, na me go use short scissors cut am. anyhow, i'm still here.

@all previews posters
Have to lot to say on for and against your previews posts & even mine sef, but i didnt say i hav a lot to write, lol, i meant yarn with mouth, make i make am short, because if he don dey long i go dey lose track,
-------------------------

@Niyoo & Kuwena una never tire. i don't give up, since, i notice say Alfa and Keno don tire pass me sef. Alfa u no go end this your talk wey don confuse me anyhw, abi u no see Keno recent post, "Quote and Post 2 word" d guy don tire, ha ha

@Kuwena, your plans high, oooo but he go hard see 99 others like u, because this na d 1st time i don see persn like u ooo, as Keno yan am, Good luck! if i was a religious person i would given u an 100% thumbs up. bro. but i'm not into religion crap, u even mention ma church lol, don't get me wrong, ma a good Christian, i don't consider Christianity a religion. na so me see am oo, so that your cult thing, na wa ooo. God dey sha. u go make am, I like your idea abut d genius group thinkin stuff, its very good, it worked 4 a lot of successive people, even 4 Bill, i dey wait your bestsellers oo and your poetry songs, infact send your transcript make i help u type am, i sabi type wella, ha hah. try me now!! before u know u go see me 4 Oprah. ha, pose wit Aniffy customized crested Suit, offering out free copies my of new novel "Small Small So Say" written by Stannesi ha ha ha,

@Aniffy, biggest boy sup, u don come??, i no trust u now ooo he be like say u don't dey offer public Offer 4 that your suit biz, cool memoirs, bro. keep it u, My usual crazy yarns "Blogger are very prone to stalkers" lol dey careful ooo.

Cool talk abut your technical and Fundamental investor, being a fundamental investor pays more, using technical analysis is good, but even better using it to support your fundamental analysis.
Where Jisi sef abi she dey panel with al-rufai

@ 2Pak i feel your, i knw u wish u could do more but u can't, at least u dey informed, u dey try
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic" to some people na so life be. (not me sha, God dey).

I'm Out, tryin to stream to d future and incubate ma dreams, try it, it works, ha ha
League of extra ordinary Smart People Good Night!! ooo see u in d future, lol
Re: Which Way Nlng? by niyooo(m): 2:48am On May 11, 2008
@ all good morning, i can see the thread is progessing well. I have a few things I'll like to reply to and I don't see a way it's going to be brief so please indulge me.

First I'll like to comment on Opoks last post, I don't think i quite agree with all you posted about to have taken soft loan to buy more of PHB stocks unless you actually did your research and were "very sure". I know someone who bought Nigeria Breweries sometime in 2005 or thereabouts when it was more than N100 per share, (I'm not sure what the exact share price was but i think it was about N120) and not too long after the share price crashed to N40. (I think this was due to the bonus issue they gave around that time or something). Now assuming such a person had taken soft loans or even any loan to buy it, where would that have left him? Or if someone had taken loan to buy All States Bank share offer or any of the other failed or abysmal performing offers, where would that have left the person? So please unless you are relatively certain don't just invest for investment sake. The issue we have here in Nigeria is that most times we just invest without actually doing our research,  But that's not what i really want to comment about. I just felt i shouldn't let it pass before someone goes to borrow to invest and now gets into trouble, I think i saw a post like that somewhere on nairaland where someone said he used his school fees to buy transcorp shares.  shocked cry.

@ Pak, I meant the Govt are thawing, It could be better but it could also be worse, just that they aren't thawing fast enough. It's a double edged sword situation and as you rightly pointed out Sovereignty should be respected but @ what price? I don't think i can add more to what you've posted, you did great justice to the issue.

@ Annify, welcome back. As per the NSE, don't you think it should be Semi-strong form? For a weak form, the Share price only reflects historical prices while for a Semi-strong, it reflects historical prices and all publicly available information, this is what i think is reflected in the NSE though there are pickets of strong form where some share prices reflect privately held info and you just see those shares rising without any justifiable reason for that. My other grouse is that the SEC (or NSE) mignt not be on top of their game because if you look at the recent suspension placed on trading of some companies stocks due to non-presentation of yearly reports or something, why should they have allowed it to go on so long before they did that? But at least we thank God they are still working, albeit not fast enough. They should be more proactive if you ask me.

I also agree with you that fundamental analysis is better than technical analysis. I favour Fundamental analysis too but i also combine that with technical analysis.

And yes for an economy to progress there must be inflation but it has to be controlled very well by the Central Banks so that it doesn't get out of hand, controlled inflation stimulates economic activities so there has to be a balance between the two. So on that point you are spot on.

Now over to u, Kuwena. We are not sparring only exchanging ideas.  wink

The good thing about life is one chooses who or what you want to believe, that's what makes us unique in our own different ways. You chose to agree with one great "Nkrumah" and disagree with another "Achebe". That's okay.

I don't think your response to my statement is really apt, but based on your analogy let me post this. "Femi Fani-Kayode" or "Walter Ofonagoro" or "Jerry Gana" etc is a politician but "Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie" or "Wole Soyinka" or "late Ken Saro Wiwa" or "late Fela" etc are not politicians. So who would you rather believe on political issues?    So as i posted somewhere earlier, we are all unique individuals and God has given us unique brains to think so it's up to us to choose what to agree or disagree with and not necessarily agree because anyone is an authority on a subject matter.

As per your comment that I said your business proposal is not practicable, if you read my response, you'll see what I explained as being impracticable. What I said is impracticable is the idea of getting a hundred young and dynamic individuals to save N2m, resign their jobs and say they are setting up an industry or whatever. Please please and please always reply to my posts and not your idea of what i posted. You've actually not said too much you've only explained yourself better and that's ok.

You've explained what you have in mind better and as some peeps have said. Good luck to you. It'll be a tall order and don't worry I won't be one of the Directors or whatever  grin but i wish you luck. It's your dream pursue it. I see Anniffy has recommended a book to you, that's good, I'm sure you'll get some good ideas from there. You said it'll be a PLC. Is the name also going to contain "cult"?   shocked Cos I'm not too sure the US govt or any other govt for that matter will register any company by that name. There are restrictions on names one can call companies, you know?  cry

You know one thing that has been proven to be a winner any day? Brand name. If you have a good brand name, it's a big asset for you. Now "cult" is percieved negatively all over the world, how do you plan to market your brand which will have cult attached to it? Or how do you plan to educate every one about it's activities? So I'll advise you to think twice again about this your cult name you keep bandying about. Not many people i know of will want to be publicly associated with any thing that has cult attached to it.

I'm very sure you don't want me to start a dissertation on GDP, GNP, NI etc and what constitutes what. I only asked for your clarification because i didn't understand what you posted, but now you've explained better I can contribute on that issue. The Government is not directly responsible for the growth of the produce value but they are not only responsible for ensuring political stability but for ensuring that there is an enabling environment that would favour the factors of production so that the benefits of capitalism can be fully enjoyed. So back to the issue, are you trying to insinuate that the Government in 9ja has created an enabling environment or what? undecided And GNP is Gross National Product and not productivity.  wink

Abeg make i go sleep.

On a lighter note, @ Kenosky on second thoughts maybe na Kuwena stannesi draw, u know say na him dey talk about cult and the pix take style resemble cult logo. Oya stannesi yarn for this matter, who you draw?  undecided
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:21am On May 11, 2008
niyooo:

@ all good morning, i can see the thread is progessing well. I have a few things I'll like to reply to and I don't see a way it's going to be brief so please indulge me.

[size=15pt]hmmm! I better fasten my seat belt! grin[/size]

Now over to u, Kuwena. We are not sparring only exchanging ideas.  wink

The good thing about life is one chooses who or what you want to believe, that's what makes us unique in our own different ways. You chose to agree with one great "Nkrumah" and disagree with another "Achebe". That's okay.

I don't think your response to my statement is really apt, but based on your analogy let me post this. "Femi Fani-Kayode" or "Walter Ofonagoro" or "Jerry Gana" etc is a politician but "Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie" or "Wole Soyinka" or "late Ken Saro Wiwa" or "late Fela" etc are not politicians. So who would you rather believe on political issues?    So as i posted somewhere earlier, we are all unique individuals and God has given us unique brains to think so it's up to us to choose what to agree or disagree with and not necessarily agree because anyone is an authority on a subject matter.

[size=15pt]argumentum ad verecundiam aptly put![/size]

On a lighter note, @ Kenosky on second thoughts maybe na Kuwena stannesi draw, u know say na him dey talk about cult and the pix take style resemble cult logo. Oya stannesi yarn for this matter, who you draw?  undecided

[size=15pt]oya stan, d ball is in your cult (sorry, court!) because that your cult emblem go fit the biznezz name well![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:07pm On May 11, 2008
Niyoo, in Iboland, when two people have argued back and forth for so long, one of them says, 'Ka m ji ujo kwere,' and he throws his hands up. Ask Kenosky what this means. wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 1:44pm On May 11, 2008
You know, once in a while a man sits on an easy chair and thinks. Then he stretches and yawns. He may be hungry, and so he stands up and goes to the fridge. Inside, there are some eggs. There is also a half-finished loaf of bread. He carries the bread and the eggs to the kitchen, and he sets the kettle to boil.

As he makes himself a meal, he thinks a little about life, and about those who have touched his life in one way or the other. There was that fellow that helped him when he was in financial need. There was also that individual that brought joy to his heart after a period of pain. He thinks how time has made his memory numb to all these people, and he silently prays for all of them.

The kettle begins to whistle, and he sets it down. He fetches a cup; milk, sugar and coffee from the cupboard, and makes himself a cuppa. He slices the bread and places them on a plate he brings out. Then he beats the eggs and whisks. The fry pan is nearby, and he sets it over heat, with a slab of butter in it. Then he pours the beat eggs in.

As the eggs fry, he thinks more about his old friends. It has been very long since when last he set his eyes on them. He would have liked to send that kind fellow a card last Christmas, but it is apparent he did forget. He also would have liked to invite the cheery individual to his last birthday party, but somehow it skipped his mind. He rues his absent-mindedness and hopes he gets over it. It does not do for friends.

The eggs are ready. He takes his meal to the parlor and sets it all down. Then he resolves to send that card afterall. He would send it tomorrow. He would say thank you for the kindness of that good old friend. And he would invite the cheery other to his next birthday. He would not forget; not anymore. He would not pass up any opportunity in future to slow down and think of all the good people he had been lucky to meet.

The meal begins to taste even more delicious, with the newfound peace in his heart, the peace of being at home with oneself, and yet in the loving remembrance of others; the peace of being alone, but not at all lonely.

When I look back at our thread now more than a year old, I recall all our old friends, those lovely people who posted words of hope and encouragement on this thread right from day one. Some are still with us. Kenosky is still here, very dear fellow he is; Opokonwa, Aniffy and I are here too; but there are many others who have retired, albeit too soon: Sweetsjoy, Adrianic, Thought, Sequoia, Jbyno, Okoroboy, and so forth; and we have forgotten them in our hurry to keep up with the pace. I wonder how they are getting on with their lives. A good number of them have busy lives, with demanding bank and other jobs. A few may be trying their hands out at businesses. Certain others may be unemployed. But probably all of them are intelligent, and motivated to succeed. Still, we must think of them, and wish them well. When we direct positive thoughts in people’s direction, it acts like a séance that brings them good luck. We close our eyes and think of them with love. We imagine them succeeding, and we say, ‘May all your dreams come true.’ And we blow into the air, hoping the peaceful mist reaches and blesses them.

Dearest Kenosky, Brother, Friend, Godfather, I ask you to charge the posters on this thread to each remember one or more favorite previous poster(s) (don’t copy another person’s choice-o!), and wish him or her a blessing today. Let me begin:

I remember Adrianic.  He was the first Brother on Which Way Nlng? I met in person. We talked very many times on the phone, and shared many things in common. When I was Godfather, people called him my Defence Minister. And there were many remarkable things he posted on this thread.

Adrian, wherever you are now, and whatever you are doing, I want to send positive thoughts your way. And I want to encourage you to be strong. I blow your way positive mists of economic advancement. God bless you.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:14pm On May 11, 2008
[size=16pt]opoks, u r a man after my heart! kiss one thing that i ld neva forget is kallin u to tell u i had got the LNG invitation for medicals, and u jubilating as if u were the one that just received the letter!- i even kalld u before i broke the news on the thread (after kallin adrian). Though i may not agree with all ur views (u sabi say u too like woman). Anyone who was at Eko Hotels on the eve of our departure would say 'opoks, congratz on this ur trip out of the shores of our own obodo naijiria'- u celebrated with all the technical guyz, and no one could find a trace of animosity in u- I admire u! So many times i knew wat it took to convince u to come back and post again after u had resolved not to! U r a great man! Na u be my poster of the year cool(though u need to dey more diplomatic sha. lol grin) cheesy smiley. I gat to choose one guy though it will be hard not to acknowledge kuwena, aniffy, pgm (good old pgm), adrianic, kenosym, and of recent alfaprime, niyoo, stannesi, pak and Jisi! hmmmm, who i go call leave out who?

Stannesi and opoks, d sky is red o but it will even turn redder by 21st may. Go home and lick ur wounds for more would follow! tongue[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (152) (Reply)

The Nigerian Navy Screening List (NNBTS Training) Batch-23/24 / Shell Nigeria (SPDC) Graduate Trainee Recruitment, 2019 / NPC Launches E-recruitment Portal For 2023 Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.