Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (36492 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? / Should The Tenant Who Is Served A Quit Notice Still Pay The Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by boss1310(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
oga just relocate

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by obaataaokpaewu: 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
Just pack

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Hidentity(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
qwertyboss:
Just take that letter with you to any tribunal court and lay down your complain to them because according to constitution, a tenant is entitled to six months notice after his tenancy had expired. Be wise and open your eyes if not your land lord will cheat you! Take vehement step ahead of him. A stitch in time time, saves nine!

Don't lead him astray. The constitution is not a rent law.

7 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Opinionated: 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
How many years' rent did you pay before?
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by makizee(m): 12:38pm On Oct 26, 2018
Lol...you really want to stay for half a year after the expiration of your rent...and you think that's justifiable. He has given you enough time to find alternative accomodation, i believe that's good enough, save yourself the stress and seek alternative accomodation.
On the law part, i believe it's actually six months notice and not six months free accomodation(after expiration of rent), you are entitled to be given six months notice to vacate. (I stand to be corrected)

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by ozoneboy(m): 12:38pm On Oct 26, 2018
My man,if I were u,I will start nowbro start looking for a house till that time,because you may end up spending half of the rent on litigation and lawyer.Dont mind the Landlord and go your way since you can.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2018
If na your house, would u allow such. You have no rights. If you stay two weeks extra, the court will ask you to pay for it. Better give yourself brain.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by LuciferYaweh: 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!

Don't waste time, just take the letter to your local government secretariat and ask for the Mediation Centre. It handles all tenancy disputes.

Tender your letter and complaint to them. They will invite your landlord over eventually and if he refuses to show up, they will charge him.

Your landlord messed up by writing you a quit notice - he just handed you free 6 months accommodation! grin

He cannot evict you until March/April next year by law and you're not obliged to pay for this period.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by udemzyudex(m): 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2018
Get a lawyer and serve him your own notice, believe me he will be shock.

That's how they will be be doing gra gra, I bet he didn't get the notice from his lawyer.

You're entitled to 6months, so after December you pack out in June,i believe by then you would have save enough to get yourself a better place.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by hilakereal: 12:40pm On Oct 26, 2018
Use wisdom.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by livelymatilda22: 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:

I have accepted that I will leave, I am not even enjoying the place any longer but one month is not fair na.
Even if you are given an additional 5 months, do you think that it is free? Stop deceiving yourself.Settle with him or do your best to leave asap

9 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
Harjibode:
Which kain right you wan know, you owe person money you still want claim right
learn to read before you comment trash

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Newboss(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
cocoboss:
nor be your mates dey buy house for banana island...poor man grin grin
You buy a house for 500m, and pay over 10m as property tax every year angry

Why not do business with the 500m and rent a 5 bedroom duplex for 5m per year? angry

My brother, always look before you leap, not all that glitters is gold angry

9 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by highchief1: 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!
go buy land build house

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Wirelessmic(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
Bros forget your right and focus on what is left to get another apartment many of this landlord in lagos are cunning my brother I'm speaking from experience o grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by udemzyudex(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
Samuelwin:
Bro just look for other alternative. Don't waste ur resource & time. Even if u take him to court & u win. Just remember those landlord won't let u go like that before he jazz u and u start visiting spiritualist for solution. Some time God uses some people to save other situations.

This one na talk?

He just serve him the notice to scare him, hoping he will come begging.
I'm very sure he didn't get the notice from his lawyer, he type that nonsense by himself.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
omotoda:

If you have the means,just leave.Not worth troubling yourself over!!

This was a my take too.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by vertueptime: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
U pay for wat u use. Why do u want to cheat d system,if u hv money to pay then pay by ending December or u move out, u didnt build d house for him

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by hilakereal: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
Where do I create my own story on nairaland? I have something to say. Bikonu!
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Noblefirstlady: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
Use the money you are going to spend in court to get another place save your self the stress
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Lonestar124: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
There is nothing like 6months commitment after his rent bill expired.

Utilize the the one month given to you and relocate from his house peacefully.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by vikkeee(m): 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
bro if you can leave before the quit notice expires, just do so. Going to court, not worth it at all. Landlords and those tribunal guys know themselves wella

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by shileowo: 12:44pm On Oct 26, 2018
go to court you might be giving more time and that depends on your contract with landlord. Anyways, remember you need to pay rent until the last day you leave the house. Court might give 6 months but will tell you to pay for the six months while you look for another apartment. Make your decision and move on

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Deronkemusty: 12:44pm On Oct 26, 2018
Your landlord is smart to serve the notice before rent expires, because normally if u are served quit notice before rent is due, you are not entitled to 6months grace, it's a win for the landlord, it's only when u are served after your rent is due that you have such privilege, if u use 6months more he has the full right to be paid that 6months extra you used.. just gather up leave by that january... the law is in support of what he did.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by OkirikaNwankwo: 12:44pm On Oct 26, 2018
You need to read the write-up on the link below. Don't over-react, lest your landlord will win.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Ehiz121: 12:44pm On Oct 26, 2018
chloride6:
Yes you are entitled to Six month Notice... But the law doesnt entitle you to Six Months Free Rent.

The law expects you to pay for the period spent in the notice period.

So anyway you will still pay for the accommodation. If you refuse the council can come and seize your property for refusing to pay for the six months period.
When you know you know�
Law is very simple when you know it �

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

Thank You!

It’s wise enough of you to meet with him and tell ask for time to find a space within 6months with you paying penny to other parties.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries,

Make Photocopies the Quit Notice and keep the original on your file.

Take one of the photocopies and attach with a Confirmation of Receipt Letter to your landlord. The structure of the Confirmation of Reeipt Letter to your landlord should state that you have received the quit notice and have accepted it, then emphasize that you need 5 months of the 6 months to search for a new apartment to rent due to time constraint with your work, and you need additional one month to re-model and paint the new place when you secure one, which completes the 6 months free rent legally provided by the Tenancy Agreement of Lagos State Law (quote the law).

Ensure that you hand over this letter/ photocopy of document personally to your landlord, and drop copy of the quit notice and the response at a near by police station that is within your jurisdiction and make an entry, I repeat, make an entry and report it officially.

Also inform a legal adviser or an attorney with background in law.

If your landlord quarrels and throws tantrum, DO NOTHING, do not say anything. This is very important. Submit the documents and leave him alone, do not respond to him or any of his relatives regarding the rent and be afraid of nothing.

I repeat be afraid of nothing. If you say anything, that is negotiation, and you can not negotiate. If you say nothing, he will not go to juju, just say nothing. And start searching for a new home and when you find one, move at your discreation but ensure you pack out within the time-frame stipulated by the law and that is 6 months free of charges but ensure you pay your electricity bills and other utilities before moving out.

Good luck.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Lonestar124: 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
udemzyudex:
Get a lawyer and serve him your own notice, believe me he will be shock.

That's how they will be be doing gra gra, I bet he didn't get the notice from his lawyer.

You're entitled to 6months, so after December you pack out in June,i believe by then you would have save enough to get yourself a better place.
Which constitution state that?
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Evangkatsoulis: 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

Thank You!

Lucky you, he gave you 1 month free!
6 months notice is not equal to 6 months rent-free.
He should have given you the notice around June.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by ojive: 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
By Law it depends on the agreement you signed when renting the apartment.. If its a normal one year agreement it should state you have six months before vacating the house, However if you guys still go to court the six month will be giving to you but you will be asked to pay for the six month till the date you vacate because no law states the landlord should not collect his money except the landlord decided to let go of the money for that six month you will be giving to get another apartment.
But most Nigerians think the six months is free, My brother its not free ooo, the law will ask you to pay till date but in a convenient manner, its just for you to have enuf time to move around and get another apartment but on the day of vacation you would have paid the six month giving.

So its just of no use going to court because the money you will use to get an advocate and the stress involve don't worth it. just try sit your landlord down and talk him through to consider the fact that you are a young guy and he should give you time to move or just come to an agreement sha.

Best of Luck

14 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by tunary(m): 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
Harjibode:
Which kain right you wan know, you owe person money you still want claim right
LWKMFHO LOL una funny for nairaland no be small

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

4Sale Newly Built Ensuite 3 Bedroom Bungalow with BQ @11m / Cement Price Surges To N15,000 In Abuja / Complete Package Design Drawing For Mechanical & Electrical (MEP) Stamp and Seal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.