Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,878 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (36439 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? / Should The Tenant Who Is Served A Quit Notice Still Pay The Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:

I have accepted that I will leave, I am not even enjoying the place any longer but one month is not fair na.
U sound like a stingy person, I pity ur girlfriend. January is enough time to get a new place. Pack out and stop acting like u r intelligent.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Tmmycash(m): 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
outlooka5:
cheesy

How much do you buy US itunes
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by teemy(m): 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Do you pay in bits? Does your rent state One year or One month... If you are a monthly tenant, you are entitled to just one month

1 month - 1 month
3 month - 3 months
6 months - 3 months
1 year - 6 months

Take note however that that period you are entitled to still has to be paid for. House residence is not free. Using your notice example above if you have a month past your due date as quit date, you have to pay the one month rent if you stay till then (January).

If you feel uneasy with the place you should leave by your due date and ensure you get all agreements with your new landlord are well discussed before you leave.

If that period would still not be enough for you, nothing stops you from approaching your landlord and requesting for an extended stay of three months, pay upfront and write a letter of undertaking that you would not exceed that period. Who knows, the reason for getting you a quit notice might just change once your landlord begins to view the 'young man' as being responsible.

Wishing you well - Teemy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
Since you pay yearly which means your next rent will be due late Dec or early jan,
Why not use the money and go search for another house.
U said he milks you like atm machine and u know u will eventually pack out as u don't want to give him stipends again, why haven't u been on house hunt before now?

He gave u quit notice at the expiration of ur house rent, what is then the problem.
Unless u have a problem with him, tell him to give you time to hunt for a good accommodation if u were unable to meet up by the deadline.
From now till December ending, u will get a good place. U don't have any case at all.

Or
Do u like wahala that much?

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by hollagokay(m): 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2018
Abeg rent it out to someone like me I have been looking for an opportunity like this. wink
magicminister:
Loool...

Two of my My tenants on my Ikeja property have been owing me rent for 2 years and refused to leave so I am taking it through the court which is a painfully slow process. I charge them 500k per annum on premium GRA property but they still can’t meet up!!

Bro, your landlord also has responsibilities but if you’ve been a responsible tenant and pay your rent when due, then you might wanna talk to a lawyer. Shouldn’t cost more than 50k to get a court injunction imploring him to halt on eviction till your rent expires (According to lagos tenancy laws, you also have a grace period of 6 months if you rent contract indicated annual tenancy).

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by tunary(m): 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2018
cocoboss:
nor be your mates dey buy house for banana island...poor man grin grin
Life no easy for everybody like that o

all fingers are not equal remember
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams...

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!

Thanks for sharing

Beyond knowing your rights, also consider what would be in your best interest.

How cordial has your relationship been with your landlord?

It's popular to demonize landlords as "greedy Shylocks" but if you owned an asset, you would also want a return on your investment.

Even with all the information on your rights here on this thread, please consider having a polite conversation with your landlord. Aim at reaching a mutual agreement on a convenient time to move.

Yes, you have rights but avoid being dragged into an activist drama that could waste your time and ruin your reputation

Let's know how it goes.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
LuciferYaweh:

Don't waste time, just take the letter to your local government secretariat and ask for the Mediation Centre. It handles all tenancy disputes.

Tender your letter and complaint to them. They will invite your landlord over eventually and if he refuses to show up, they will charge him.

Your landlord messed up by writing you a quit notice - he just handed you free 6 months accommodation! grin

He cannot evict you until March/April next year by law and you're not obliged to pay for this period.

And you pray to be a Landlord someday?

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Mutemenot(m): 12:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
Bro pray not to get into any court case as it does not favour anyone as far as naija is concern. Just gather money n look for another house..

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by livelymatilda22: 12:52pm On Oct 26, 2018
LuciferYaweh:

[s]

Don't waste time, just take the letter to your local government secretariat and ask for the Mediation Centre. It handles all tenancy disputes.

Tender your letter and complaint to them. They will invite your landlord over eventually and if he refuses to show up, they will charge him.

Your landlord messed up by writing you a quit notice - he just handed you free 6 months accommodation! grin

He cannot evict you until March/April next year by law and you're not obliged to pay for this period. [/s]

Stop fooling yourself

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by komzygirl(f): 12:52pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!

Buy or build your own house. Ask me how call/WhatsApp 08037893005
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2018
qwertyboss:
Just take that letter with you to any tribunal court and lay down your complain to them because according to constitution, a tenant is entitled to six months notice after his tenancy had expired. Be wise and open your eyes if not your land lord will cheat you! Take vehement step ahead of him. A stitch in time time, saves nine!

Stop giving bad legal advice. How can he be entitled to six months notice AFTER expiration? The law does not say that. The notice can be served even when the current tenancy has not lapsed. What matters is adequate notice which in this case is 6 months for a yearly tenant. The landlord will still be entitled to mesne profit by the way which is calculated pro rata.

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord....
Find alternative... I don't think its worth d stress dragging that case. I don't think so... Besides, a young man trying to find ur stance in Naijas harsh economic realities. That alone is stressful enough nd I don't think u're ready to add more complexities to ur life by fighting an avoidable battle. Finally, many of these landlords are some of the most fetish people u can ever meet. Think twice bros...

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by mannatech: 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
LuciferYaweh:

He cannot evict you until March/April next year by law and you're not obliged to pay for this period.

Please don't mislead the op. That's how a former tenant of mine thought the 6months notice to quit was free.
When I demanded for rent for the 6months period, guyman refused to buy and even took me to court.

Can't forget the shock on his face when the court instructed him to pay up

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by okekefabi(m): 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
People will tell go to court, call police, do this, and do that. I advice you to take no action against your landlord just look for another apartment and move out of his house to avoid risking your previous life.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by tunary(m): 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
To hire lawyer na free? make peace and look for another place jejeje wthin two months you'll get another place instead of this prolong process

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by ringi82(m): 12:55pm On Oct 26, 2018
qwertyboss:
Just take that letter with you to any tribunal court and lay down your complain to them because according to constitution, a tenant is entitled to six months notice after his tenancy had expired. Be wise and open your eyes if not your land lord will cheat you! Take vehement step ahead of him. A stitch in time time, saves nine!
That is not the position of the law. He's only entitled to 6 months notice if his rent is still subsisting not after it had expired. Your landlord was magnanimous with a month notice.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by okekefabi(m): 12:56pm On Oct 26, 2018
People will tell you "go to court, call police, do this, and do that." I advice you to take no action against your landlord, just look for another apartment and move out from his house to avoid risking your previous life.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Josh44s(m): 12:58pm On Oct 26, 2018
magicminister:
Loool...

Two of my My tenants on my Ikeja property have been owing me rent for 2 years and refused to leave so I am taking it through the court which is a painfully slow process. I charge them 500k per annum on premium GRA property but they still can’t meet up!!

Bro, your landlord also has responsibilities but if you’ve been a responsible tenant and pay your rent when due, then you might wanna talk to a lawyer. Shouldn’t cost more than 50k to get a court injunction imploring him to halt on eviction till your rent expires (According to lagos tenancy laws, you also have a grace period of 6 months if you rent contract indicated annual tenancy).

Correct landlord

[img]https://media1./images/205480accc41f155817c5709325549b0/tenor.gif?itemid=3529637[/img]
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by InvertedHammer: 12:58pm On Oct 26, 2018
/
Other than the rent, it seems that you have other unresolved issues (extortion) in this place.

If you have the money, just move out and move on. If you don't have the fund, do what others do: Sit tight.

/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by freemi(m): 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

Thank You!
i wil advice u use d time left 2 look 4 anoda apartment. .aftaral u ve d moni 2 pay. It wl save u unecesary wahala. .trust me

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by outlooka5(f): 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2018
Tmmycash:

How much do you buy US itunes
click my whatsapp link and come to my office
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by lereinter(m): 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:

I have accepted that I will leave, I am not even enjoying the place any longer but one month is not fair na.

That's why he served it in October so it will be three months notice
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Jrevelation(m): 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
The damages Jazz/Juju will do to your life Law can not stand it... Before yield to that advice before we hear another story
Run from Nigerians there are evil and evil
Nigeria my country am sorry

Eseries:

Thank you.

I just want to be sure I am on the right side of Law.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Deen112: 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
Mr man you are not telling us the whole story here. Your landlord will not serve you a quit notice if you are paying your rent when due. Please pack out of the house by January and save yourself from stress.The house doesn't belong to you so why wasting your time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by jumpandpas(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

Thank You!

Since you pay annually, the law permits 6 months. This six months is not for free oo, the law states that you also pay for those months but you can negotiate it with your landlord.

MY FINAL ADVICE

If you have money just park out.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by livelymatilda22: 1:02pm On Oct 26, 2018
TimeMachine:
[s] Eseries,

Make Photocopies the Quit Notice and keep the original on your file.

Take one of the photocopies and attach with a Confirmation of Receipt Letter to your landlord. The structure of the Confirmation of Reeipt Letter to your landlord should state that you have received the quit notice and have accepted it, then emphasize that you need 5 months of the 6 months to search for a new apartment to rent due to time constraint with your work, and you need additional one month to re-model and paint the new place when you secure one, which completes the 6 months free rent legally provided by the Tenancy Agreement of Lagos State Law (quote the law).

Ensure that you hand over this letter/ photocopy of document personally to your landlord, and drop copy of the quit notice and the response at a near by police station that is within your jurisdiction and make an entry, I repeat, make an entry and report it officially.

Also inform a legal adviser or an attorney with background in law.

If your landlord quarrels and throws tantrum, DO NOTHING, do not say anything. This is very important. Submit the documents and leave him alone, do not respond to him or any of his relatives regarding the rent and be afraid of nothing.

I repeat be afraid of nothing. If you say anything, that is negotiation, and you can not negotiate. If you say nothing, he will not go to juju, just say nothing. And start searching for a new home and when you find one, move at your discreation but ensure you pack out within the time-frame stipulated by the law and that is 6 months free of charges but ensure you pay your electricity bills and other utilities before moving out.

Good luck [/s] .
6 month free rent in your dream or where?

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by eagleeye2: 1:02pm On Oct 26, 2018
ojive:
By Law it depends on the agreement you signed when renting the apartment.. If its a normal one year agreement it should state you have six months before vacating the house, However if you guys still go to court the six month will be giving to you but you will be asked to pay for the six month till the date you vacate because no law states the landlord should not collect his money except the landlord decided to let go of the money for that six month you will be giving to get another apartment.
But most Nigerians think the six months is free, My brother its not free ooo, the law will ask you to pay till date but in a convenient manner, its just for you to have enuf time to move around and get another apartment but on the day of vacation you would have paid the six month giving.

So its just of no use going to court because the money you will use to get an advocate and the stress involve don't worth it. just try sit your landlord down and talk him through to consider the fact that you are a young guy and he should give you time to move or just come to an agreement sha.

Best of Luck
I was just thinking if there are no longer enlightened Nigerians on NL dealing on property law and all that.
Thanks for your comment.
OP,
The agreement you signed supersede all other laws when it comes to letting a property. That is why you need to take your time before you sign any tenancy agreement.
From the look of things it seems your agreement stated one month Notice to quit, if that's the case, please no need dragging issues unless you have money to throw around.
Just settle amicably with the landlord.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
Start looking for a place his place by January.

The law may allow you for six months but remember you'd be the one residing in the house in this six months, a man that likes to collect upfront from you, how do you think he will live with someone staying in his house for six months without pay..

These laws only apply outside the country in Nigeria here, shit happens, don't risk your health , life and peace of mind in this struggle..trust me

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by lereinter(m): 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
SolutionMee:
cheesy
If I were you, I'll learn from your landlord, work hard and build my own apartment. The only right you have is to learn to be an independent lady. You're not supposed to be living in his house for free. Nothing comes free in life. Please change your mentality.

do people carry houses on their head wherever they go

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by gassbee: 1:04pm On Oct 26, 2018
Some tenants r just troublesome, he has given u 3 months advance notice for u to leave instead u prefer free 6 months after December for u to leave. U will end up spending money on court cases, money DAT u wud av used to pay for a new accommodation. No matter how much u spend on lawyer, last last u will stil pack out from dat house. Just pray ur landlord is not a jassman, na u go run

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by delzbaba(m): 1:04pm On Oct 26, 2018
you have till March to move, your six months starts reading from the day you collected the quit notice, I'm too busy to give details

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help! Flood Take Over A Nairalander's House In Benin / I / 4Sale Newly Built Ensuite 3 Bedroom Bungalow with BQ @11m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.