Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,966 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (279488 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by dmz1: 1:35pm On Oct 31, 2020
please follow this fearsome insect pest invested my farm. I i think is is causing my plants to wither.
how do i so then?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 2:03pm On Oct 31, 2020
ideepaul:
bleach isn't effective, furadan is a better option...I am trying to remember the name of a soil treatment/nematicide I was told to use by a big farmer, he applies through the drip tapes and it's effective. Control nematodes on your tomato/pepper farm, and you have solved 30% of your challenges
the nematicide is VELUM PRIME cc: emmafly, farm tech, Okoroemeka
It's about 20k+ for a litre, but I was told it's very effective even when the crops are already infected, and can be applied through drips. Pls I have not used it before o

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by pipi84(m): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2020
ideepaul:
It's about 20k+ for a litre, but I was told it's very effective even when the crops are already infected, and can be applied through drips. Pls I have not used it before o
I have being in cucumber for sometime and decided to add tomato to it last year on pilot and 2plot and now 10plot......the major disaster you can get it in your farm bacterial wilt which starts with nematodes doing justice to the root of the tomatoes before the bacterial finishes the work....one mistake i did was thinking, if build a nursery and treat my seedlings well before transplanting i wont have that attack but i just experienced it lately in my farm for two weeks with me loosing over 50 of my tomato plant and the worst is, it attacked the once bearing bigger fruits more and funny enough i couldn't get a hold of velum prime nematicide to tackle it on time because of the protest and the 24hrs curfew but i was able to get it last week and applied it. now i have peace of mind cos it worked...my advice is, apply velum prime before transplanting to be safe.....there seeds that have resistance to nematode but still apply nematicide to be on safer side. one kobo experience....

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ezekiella: 6:54pm On Oct 31, 2020
pipi84:

I have being in cucumber for sometime and decided to add tomato to it last year on pilot and 2plot and now 10plot......the major disaster you can get it in your farm bacterial wilt which starts with nematodes doing justice to the root of the tomatoes before the bacterial finishes the work....one mistake i did was thinking, if build a nursery and treat my seedlings well before transplanting i wont have that attack but i just experienced it lately in my farm for two weeks with me loosing over 50 of my tomato plant and the worst is, it attacked the once bearing bigger fruits more and funny enough i couldn't get a hold of velum prime nematicide to tackle it on time because of the protest and the 24hrs curfew but i was able to get it last week and applied it. now i have peace of mind cos it worked...my advice is, apply velum prime before transplanting to be safe.....there seeds that have resistance to nematode but still apply nematicide to be on safer side. one kobo experience....
Please sir, can I get the contact of those selling velum prime ? Is it Padma f1 tomato that you planted ?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 6:54pm On Oct 31, 2020
pipi84:

Thank God my PH city Oga has spoken!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ezekiella: 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2020
ideepaul:
this one doesn't need debate, tomato done at the right time will supercede cucumbers in terms of profitability. Imagine about 200 Padma F1 plants surely giving you a Cameroon basket twice a week( it was sold at between 7-9k at some point here), the only issue is that tomato is less forgiving if done wrongly, and you need 90+ days to hit the market from the day you sow the seeds
So true sir, tomatoes from April May is really expensive. Does the Padma f1 do well in rainy season ?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 7:11pm On Oct 31, 2020
Ezekiella:
So true sir, tomatoes from April May is really expensive. Does the Padma f1 do well in rainy season ?
yes, Padma does well. But its relative to your pursuance of best agronomic practices

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ezekiella: 7:47pm On Oct 31, 2020
ideepaul:
yes, Padma does well. But its relative to your pursuance of best agronomic practices
Very true sir. I want to do a pilot tomato farm this first week of November to get used to it before preparing for next year raining season. Please sir, will you guide me ?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 8:29pm On Oct 31, 2020
Ezekiella:
Very true sir. I want to do a pilot tomato farm this first week of November to get used to it before preparing for next year raining season. Please sir, will you guide me ?
don't cultivate Padma during the dry season, go for platinum F1 to avoid stories that touch

3 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ezekiella: 10:23pm On Oct 31, 2020
ideepaul:
don't cultivate Padma during the dry season, go for platinum F1 to avoid stories that touch
that means Padma is for rainy season. Ok sir. I'm doing just about 100 plants. My main target is raining season.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 10:36am On Nov 01, 2020
Ezekiella:
that means Padma is for rainy season. Ok sir. I'm doing just about 100 plants. My main target is raining season.
the disease and stress Padma may face this dry season may not help you make necessary judgements as it has little resistance to them and poor fruit setting due to heat stress
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Bakin3(m): 11:07am On Nov 01, 2020
We construct Bio digester (Modern Sockaway). Quick to install. No waste removal. Little maintenance. Odorless. Little space required. Doesn't contaminate ground water. Check my signature.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2020
ideepaul:
the disease and stress Padma may face this dry season may not help you make necessary judgements as it has little resistance to them and poor fruit setting due to heat stress
are you of the opinion that Padma will suffer during hot periods even with drip irrigation? tomatoes are definitely a hot weather crop,I have seen local tomatoes transplanted without irrigation or even manual watering and they survived and grow with just morning dew as moisture,
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 6:25pm On Nov 01, 2020
pipi84:

Did you apply through drip and, in what proportion?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 8:09am On Nov 02, 2020
okoroemeka:
are you of the opinion that Padma will suffer during hot periods even with drip irrigation? tomatoes are definitely a hot weather crop,I have seen local tomatoes transplanted without irrigation or even manual watering and they survived and grow with just morning dew as moisture,
I just hope your case is different, but Padma is made for the mid temperature rainy season and will abort a lot of flowers and fruits during the hot and dry harmattan periods...local tomatoes(opv with little disease resistance) during the rainy season? shocked shocked I won't say anything, just try it if you really believe it will work out well... I just hope you all know the northern tomato is about to hit the market, so if you are harvesting from Nov ending, all I can say is Good Luck!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 8:25am On Nov 02, 2020
Pls lemme sound this warning now, tomato is less forgiving compared to most veggies, sometimes a lot happens that you didn't anticipate even after following GAP! I have been lucky not to face challenges, but deep down I know it's LUCK! Some disease and defects in tomato may have no known cure if it strikes, pls Oga Okoroemeka has years of experience in veggies cultivation, even if he is trying tomatoes now, he knows what to do and don't,( drips, mulch, nematodes control, proper bed spacing and height, nursery management, and nutrition) I didn't use mulch, I did it successfully, but the rate of fruit cracking due to high rainfall was alarming. Before you say I am negative and discouraging people, I am not saying it's impossible, but I just decided to say my mind. I kept shut some years ago when people dived into watermelon(some people will understand better), and I promised never to keep shut again if possible

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cedagrochemical(f): 9:59am On Nov 02, 2020
pipi84:

What your plants suffered from is bacterial wilt and not nematodes. Velum prime can't control bacterial wilt, don't bother wasting your money on that.

Bacterial wilt has no cure but can be prevented. The only way to prevent it is to plant a Bacterial wilt resistant variety

Different varieties have different degree of resistance to Bacterial wilt. I have been opportuned to try 3 different varieties and I can tell you that Padma F1 has the highest resistance to Bacterial wilt manifestation.

As regards Nematode attack, there are varieties that are also resistant to nematodes, Padma is one of it, Cobra, Thorgal, Rambo etc If you are cultivating a nematode resistant variety, you really don't need a nematicide but if at all you must use it, there are different options in the market. Furadan, wormforce, Orizon, velum etc

As a small scale farmer cultivating less than an acre of tomatoes, go for Agrochemicals that fits your budget and still give great results. The higher your spending, the higher your cost of production and the lesser your profit

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cedagrochemical(f): 10:13am On Nov 02, 2020
ideepaul:
Pls lemme sound this warning now, tomato is less forgiving compared to most veggies, sometimes a lot happens that you didn't anticipate even after following GAP! I have been lucky not to face challenges, but deep down I know it's LUCK! Some disease and defects in tomato may have no known cure if it strikes, pls Oga Okoroemeka has years of experience in veggies cultivation, even if he is trying tomatoes now, he knows what to do and don't,( drips, mulch, nematodes control, proper bed spacing and height, nursery management, and nutrition) I didn't use mulch, I did it successfully, but the rate of fruit cracking due to high rainfall was alarming. Before you say I am negative and discouraging people, I am not saying it's impossible, but I just decided to say my mind. I kept shut some years ago when people dived into watermelon(some people will understand better), and I promised never to keep shut again if possible

Mulching is a great idea in vegetable farming but it doesn't mean your crops won't do well without mulching.

Mulches conserve the soil moisture, enhance the nutrients status of soil, control the erosion losses, suppress the weeds in crop plants, and remove the residual effects of pesticides, fertilizers, and heavy metals. (Reference - Google)

Heavy rain, especially when preceded by dry weather, is the leading cause of fruit cracking and splitting in tomatoes. This type of damage is most likely to occur as tomatoes begin to ripen and you are anxiously anticipating harvest, though green fruit can be effected as well. Cracking and splitting occur when rapid changes in soil moisture levels cause fruits to expand quicker than the tomato skin can grow (reference, Google)

To avoid cracking especially when you want to cultivate tomatoes in the rainy season, make high beds. High enough not to be affected by erosion.

If you have the resources, you can mulch with rice husks, straw etc
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 6:36pm On Nov 02, 2020
Cedagrochemical:

Mulching is a great idea in vegetable farming but it doesn't mean your crops won't do well without mulching.

Mulches conserve the soil moisture, enhance the nutrients status of soil, control the erosion losses, suppress the weeds in crop plants, and remove the residual effects of pesticides, fertilizers, and heavy metals. (Reference - Google)

Heavy rain, especially when preceded by dry weather, is the leading cause of fruit cracking and splitting in tomatoes. This type of damage is most likely to occur as tomatoes begin to ripen and you are anxiously anticipating harvest, though green fruit can be effected as well. Cracking and splitting occur when rapid changes in soil moisture levels cause fruits to expand quicker than the tomato skin can grow (reference, Google)

To avoid cracking especially when you want to cultivate tomatoes in the rainy season, make high beds. High enough not to be affected by erosion.

If you have the resources, you can mulch with rice husks, straw etc
I am highly impressed by your narrative, I just wish most agro-related dealers would be open to sharing ideas with the farmers as you have a better and stronger relationship with the producers...pls keep it up,. Btw, would you recommend Padma for dry season cultivation ahead of platinum?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmandTractors: 2:56am On Nov 03, 2020
=FarmandTractors post=94288489]At Farm&Tractors, we offer the best service in agricultural land preparations for your farm projects. Our services cut across land deforestation-bulldozing, plowing, harrowing etc. All tree growth, stumps, large stones and other obstacles to the normal operation of farm equipment shall be completely removed. Land clearing method shall limit the loss of topsoil removed from the area being cleared. Debris piles shall also be free from mud and topsoil.

The land shall be sufficiently level to permit the normal operation of farm equipment and the area must be ready for seed bed preparation. We deliver good service nationwide. We get the job done irrespective of the land location.
Contact us for your quality land clearing-09056508129, (08062288737 -available on whatsApp).

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by pipi84(m): 12:36pm On Nov 03, 2020
Cedagrochemical:

What your plants suffered from is bacterial wilt and not nematodes. Velum prime can't control bacterial wilt, don't bother wasting your money on that.

Bacterial wilt has no cure but can be prevented. The only way to prevent it is to plant a Bacterial wilt resistant variety

Different varieties have different degree of resistance to Bacterial wilt. I have been opportuned to try 3 different varieties and I can tell you that Padma F1 has the highest resistance to Bacterial wilt manifestation.

As regards Nematode attack, there are varieties that are also resistant to nematodes, Padma is one of it, Cobra, Thorgal, Rambo etc If you are cultivating a nematode resistant variety, you really don't need a nematicide but if at all you must use it, there are different options in the market. Furadan, wormforce, Orizon, velum etc

As a small scale farmer cultivating less than an acre of tomatoes, go for Agrochemicals that fits your budget and still give great results. The higher your spending, the higher your cost of production and the lesser your profit

the velum prime i applied worked perfectly well...so what's your take on it?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2020
ideepaul:
I just hope your case is different, but Padma is made for the mid temperature rainy season and will abort a lot of flowers and fruits during the hot and dry harmattan periods...local tomatoes(opv with little disease resistance) during the rainy season? shocked shocked I won't say anything, just try it if you really believe it will work out well... I just hope you all know the northern tomato is about to hit the market, so if you are harvesting from Nov ending, all I can say is Good Luck!
Those local tomatoes he was referring to are not really branded opv like roma, uc etc, but are more of heirlooms that are kind of associated wt some zones and have been planted overtimes, so they adapt well to their traditional environment. They have poor market values cos there fruits are smaller and watery. There is one planted by locals here they call it "catapult stone" grin , just like d size of stone used in catapulting, very stubborn that it can survive in a flooded area but it's too watery .
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 9:03pm On Nov 03, 2020
Cedagrochemical:

You sounded like a real farmer and not just an ordinary seed seller. I once bought furadan from an agro shop, the seller was asking me, "what is it used for?"
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 9:31pm On Nov 03, 2020
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 9:31pm On Nov 03, 2020
OluchiDelly:

Those local tomatoes he was referring to are not really branded opv like roma, uc etc, but are more of heirlooms that are kind of associated to some zones and have been planted overtimes, so they adapt well to their traditional environment. They have poor market values cos there fruits are smaller and watery. There is one planted by locals here they call it "catapult stone" grin , just like d size of stone used in catapulting, very stubborn that it can survive in a flooded area but it's too watery .
so true,like the benue tomato that can barely last for 3 days, they are only sold during periods of scarcity, and some have lower sauce quality
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ezekiella: 7:52am On Nov 04, 2020
ideepaul:
Please sir, with GAP , how many hausa basket of tomato can one harvest from one plot of Padma in rainy season ? I have always planted cucumber but I m interested in tomatoes.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cedagrochemical(f): 1:15pm On Nov 04, 2020
pipi84:

the velum prime i applied worked perfectly well...so what's your take on it?

Sorry for the late response, I have been unavailable for a while now. Was the velum prime used for bacterial wilt or for nematode attack. And what variety did you cultivate
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cedagrochemical(f): 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2020
OluchiDelly:

You sounded like a real farmer and not just an ordinary seed seller. I once bought furadan from an agro shop, the seller was asking me, "what is it used for?"

If I don't try out what I sell, then there is no way I will be able to convince my customers to buy what I sell without having to tell lies

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cedagrochemical(f): 1:47pm On Nov 04, 2020
ideepaul:

I am highly impressed by your narrative, I just wish most agro-related dealers would be open to sharing ideas with the farmers as you have a better and stronger relationship with the producers...pls keep it up,. Btw, would you recommend Padma for dry season cultivation ahead of platinum?

Actually, Padma is a rainy season variety and Platinum is recommended for dry season cos of it's excellent performance under heat stress. I have seen farmers plant Padma even in dry season without an issue. It all boils down to how you handle your plants. A well fed plant will fight off stress without any external aid.

To me, the main dry season starts from January. If your tomatoes have set fruit before then, I feel you are fine

Once again, I know farmers that cultivates Padma successfully all year round.
Thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by pipi84(m): 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2020
Cedagrochemical:

Sorry for the late response, I have been unavailable for a while now. Was the velum prime used for bacterial wilt or for nematode attack. And what variety did you cultivate
I planted MOANA from TECHNISM........My tomatoes was actually wilting and i did a little research and found out that velum prime can control bacterial wilt and nematodes too, that's if you detect it on time, which i believe i did and I'm yet to see another plant wilt.......

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 9:40pm On Nov 04, 2020
ideepaul:
Thanks a lot.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Razkyd(m): 8:57am On Nov 05, 2020
Plz who knows the current price of a bag of cucumber in mile12 market.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.