Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (277722 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2018
shadowid:
Between sack and the soil, which of them preserve water the most. Thanks
from the facts we are seeing soil retains water far longer than sack,after a good rainfall crops planted on soil can last 4 days before wilting,but sack is max 2 days,the main advantage of sack is that u can plant on any surface and the nutrients are concentrated because it will not leach out I have a suspicion that sack will yield more..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by oyo007: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2018
okoroemeka:
from the facts we are seeing soil retains water far longer than sack,after a good rainfall crops planted on soil can last 4 days before wilting,but sack is max 2 days,the main advantage of sack is that u can plant on any surface and the nutrients are concentrated because it will not leach out I have a suspicion that sack will yield more..
I have experienced the same thing and what made the difference is that less amount of water enter the sack when rainfall is the source of water...so in conclusion rainfall doesn't don't favour sack farming

3 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2018
okoroemeka:
oyo007:
I have experienced the same thing and what made the difference is that less amount of water enter the sack when rainfall is the source of water...so in conclusion rainfall doesn't don't favour sack farming
Sack will preserve more water if the same volume of water is applied to both soil and sack especially during the dry season. When i used sacks to plant cucumber and watered well during the dry season, i only reapplied water after 4 days while the ones on plain soil was watered almost daily.

4 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 8:51pm On Nov 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Sack will preserve more water if the same volume of water is applied to both soil and sack especially during the dry season. When i used sacks to plant cucumber and watered well during the dry season, i only reapplied water after 4 days while the ones on plain soil was watered almost daily.
My experience is similar to the op's own. I have to water the sack every day it does not rain while those planted on the ground didn't need additional water after the rainfall.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2018
a desperate customer came to our farm and we have to harvest the big size cukes in sacks,we got 4 bags our next harvest will be on Friday it will be a total harvest we will expecting 6-7 bags.

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by aliyuthayo(m): 5:16pm On Nov 13, 2018
okoroemeka:
a desperate customer came to our farm and we have to harvest the big size cukes in sacks,we got 4 bags our next harvest will be on Friday it will be a total harvest we will expecting 6-7 bags.

Well done OP!
I'm interested in this Cucumber farming, but I've never do any planting before. I have almost everything at my disposal and even a big river which is just 30meters to my land.
I want to give it a trial:
Question 1: Can I substitute Cow dung for Chicken waste?
Question 2: What are likely disease during planting and the remedy too?
Question 3: What's the spacing size?
Thanks.
Farm location is Ilorin, Kwara State.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2018
aliyuthayo:

Well done OP!
I'm interested in this Cucumber farming, but I've never do any planting before. I have almost everything at my disposal and even a big river which is just 30meters to my land.
I want to give it a trial:
Question 1: Can I substitute Cow dung for Chicken waste?
Question 2: What are likely disease during planting and the remedy too?
Question 3: What's the spacing size?
Thanks.
Farm location is Ilorin, Kwara State.
yes u can use cow so long u help it with inorganic fertilizers,not much disease during dry season but increased insect attacks,minimum is 1 feet interval if u are staking.try and visit any cucumber farm around ur area to see with your two korokoro eyes what they are doing.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by aliyuthayo(m): 5:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
okoroemeka:
yes u can use cow so long u help it with inorganic fertilizers,not much disease during dry season but increased insect attacks,minimum is 1 feet interval if u are staking.try and visit any cucumber farm around ur area to see with your two korokoro eyes what they are doing.

Thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by numen(m): 5:35pm On Nov 14, 2018
Those fruits are quite big! This Cu999 is a really good seed.

okoroemeka:
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by shadowid: 6:20am On Nov 16, 2018
Sir, in your opinion it is better to use sacks during the dry season than to plant on the soil
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by shadowid: 6:21am On Nov 16, 2018
funsoul:

My experience is similar to the op's own. I have to water the sack every day it does not rain while those planted on the ground didn't need additional water after the rainfall.
. Sir it is better to use sacks in the dry season than to plant on the soil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by aliyuthayo(m): 1:07pm On Nov 16, 2018
okoroemeka:

Pls how much is the seed Cu999 and waybill to Ilorin for a plot of land cultivation. Thanks.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 3:05pm On Nov 16, 2018
shadowid:
. Sir it is better to use sacks in the dry season than to plant on the soil
Totally agree with you. But in rainy season d ground preserves water better
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:56pm On Nov 16, 2018
aliyuthayo:

Pls how much is the seed Cu999 and waybill to Ilorin for a plot of land cultivation. Thanks.
sliver pack#1700-1800 seeds at #7,000 naira,gold pack#3,600-4,000 seeds#14,000way bill to Ilorincheck tai agro on Facebook u will see the no.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:00pm On Nov 16, 2018
funsoul:

Totally agree with you. But in rainy season d ground preserves water better
but if u plant more than 2 crops in a sack the watering will increase more than twice daily especially when fruiting, I wander how vanpelle managed to plant 4 in one sack it looks impossible to me.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2018
okoroemeka:
but if u plant more than 2 crops in a sack the watering will increase more than twice daily especially when fruiting, I wander how vanpelle managed to plant 4 in one sack it looks impossible to me.
I guess the number of fruits per plant will also play a vital role in determining how much water that is needed. If someone with four plants has an average of two fruits per sack while someone with two plants has average of four at a time, the nutrients and water level needed will obviously be higher for the latter. But from my own pilot four is just excessive
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 11:49am On Nov 18, 2018
the 1500 stands of cucumbers are 2 weeks old,the dry season is finally here and the sun is not smiling, with the rate . temperature is increasing crop yield will reduce,sunlight is good for photosynthetic process but when the heat highs to blast furnace standard that one is now a stress to crops.

2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 11:59am On Nov 18, 2018
our customer from nnewi came and we harvested the sack farm yesterday and we surpassed our estimates, we got 9 bags,but the high temperature will be our undoing, heat stress makes cucumbers to yield less I will not be surprised if we didn't meet the yield figures during rainy season.

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

I agree with this. The boys didn't need to apply water everyday in d sack farm. I think d fact that only few part of the soil in d sack z exposed to direct sunlight also contributed to t.

Might be wrong though
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2018
okoroemeka:

Didn't sell produce from my farm, shared t to people... Majorly because the villagers never believed one could plant cucumber in the east (farm was in IMO state also).

Wanna plant again, but in Lagos (Ayobo)

How do u source for buyers?

How much do u sell per bag? Who provides the bag, you or the buyers?

Do u run a poultry along with your cucumber farm? Cos I wanna do the two.

U haven't said anything about pesticides, or ain't u using any? (Planning to go organic though)

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Didn't sell produce from my farm, shared t to people... Majorly because the villagers never believed one could plant cucumber in the east (farm was in IMO state also).

Wanna plant again, but in Lagos (Ayobo)

How do u source for buyers?

How much do u sell per bag? Who provides the bag, you or the buyers?

Do u run a poultry along with your cucumber farm? Cos I wanna do the two.

U haven't said anything about pesticides, or ain't u using any? (Planning to go organic though)
my bros we didn't share our crops we are not relief agency,the market is already there one buyer from ekwulobia needs 50 bags every week pays cash.a bag now is #4,000 and we buy the empty feed bags at #50 per one,we have piggery but I also use poultry manure from a nearby farm,we spray insecticide if we see damage but now dry season pest is much we spray systemic insecticide weekly to chase leaf miner,going 100% organic is a good idea considering that NPK fertilizer on cucumber stem in this heat will cause many mortality we are seeing it,but u will be spraying foliar fertilizer weekly its better and the crops absorb it quickly than NPK. NB-treat your soil with wormforce before planting to chase nematode so u can harvest 8-10 times or more.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:20pm On Nov 19, 2018
okoroemeka:
my bros we didn't share our crops we are not relief agency,the market is already there one buyer from ekwulobia needs 50 bags every week pays cash.a bag now is #4,000 and we buy the empty feed bags at #50 per one,we have piggery but I also use poultry manure from a nearby farm,we spray insecticide if we see damage but now dry season pest is much we spray systemic insecticide weekly to chase leaf miner,going 100% organic is a good idea considering that NPK fertilizer on cucumber stem in this heat will cause many mortality we are seeing it,but u will be spraying foliar fertilizer weekly its better and the crops absorb it quickly than NPK. NB-treat your soil with wormforce before planting to chase nematode so u can harvest 8-10 times or more.

50bags every week.... O gini di, haaaaaa. N even pays cash. That's really good for u guys o.

Don't forget we still waiting for the analysis from sack farm once uve finished harvesting t
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:39pm On Nov 21, 2018
we harvested the sack cuke very early in the morning today,3 bags has been bagged and removed before daybreak we got 7 bags ,the pic is of the remaining waiting to be bagged.we also planted one line of sack with Darina variety from seminis to compare it with cu999,but as you can see the 999 beats hands down in size,the darina is on right by sprite bottle while the 3 on the left is 999,if its not 999 my hand no dey.

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:50am On Nov 22, 2018
funsoul:

I guess the number of fruits per plant will also play a vital role in determining how much water that is needed. If someone with four plants has an average of two fruits per sack while someone with two plants has average of four at a time, the nutrients and water level needed will obviously be higher for the latter. But from my own pilot four is just excessive

Number of fruits per plant, z t a function of type of seed planted or other factors?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:54am On Nov 22, 2018
okoroemeka:
we harvested the sack cuke very early in the morning today,3 bags has been bagged and removed before daybreak we got 7 bags ,the pic is of the remaining waiting to be bagged.we also planted one line of sack with Darina variety from seminis to compare it with cu999,but as you can see the 999 beats hands down in size,the darina is on right by sprite bottle while the 3 on the left is 999,if its not 999 my hand no dey.

Loooooooooooooooool. The difference between that darina and 999 z definitely an embarrassment. I'll be contacting Thai agro soon. How many days did u start harvesting..38?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 9:10am On Nov 22, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Number of fruits per plant, z t a function of type of seed planted or other factors?
Am not sure if the variety of seed has a role to play. I planted marketmore (Opv) alongside Darina, Greengo n Tokyo except for the fact that it fruits later no other difference.
Factors like fertilization(those that received fertilizers after each harvest did better),staking(my staked plants did better than those not staked) and I believe watering will also have an impact (although I didn't test this fact specifically). Those r d factors I can think of
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:12pm On Nov 22, 2018
funsoul:

Am not sure if the variety of seed has a role to play. I planted marketmore (Opv) alongside Darina, Greengo n Tokyo except for the fact that it fruits later no other difference.
Factors like fertilization(those that received fertilizers after each harvest did better),staking(my staked plants did better than those not staked) and I believe watering will also have an impact (although I didn't test this fact specifically). Those r d factors I can think of

Okay, I'll love others to comment on this also.

Although someone advised against using marketmore. Hope u didn't have to do hand pollination with any of the varieties

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:10pm On Nov 22, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Loooooooooooooooool. The difference between that darina and 999 z definitely an embarrassment. I'll be contacting Thai agro soon. How many days did u start harvesting..38?
we leave it to 46 days(6 weeks) so you have very big size and will continue to harvest big size,any size u harvest your cukes that will be what you be getting every 4 days.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:17pm On Nov 22, 2018
funsoul:

you can plant cucumbers without staking during rainy season and manage 50% less production, but dry season don't even think about that,it will not work and it has never worked during dry season.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
our one plot mission impossible or possible project is 20 days today,we did a head count and got 1570 stands that impressive considering the initial challenges we faced during germination,if u nurture your cucumbers to this level that is when u can count them because they have survived and growing every hour,the management is also easier and u can start dreaming about money.

1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:36pm On Nov 22, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Okay, I'll love others to comment on this also.

Although someone advised against using marketmore. Hope u didn't have to do hand pollination with any of the varieties
in commercial farms heirloom or opv variety's are not encouraged not because of yield,but is tendency not to survive under intense disease pressure,hybrids are more tolerant and bred specifically to resist some disease.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:32am On Nov 23, 2018
okoroemeka:
we leave it to 46 days(6 weeks) so you have very big size and will continue to harvest big size,any size u harvest your cukes that will be what you be getting every 4 days.

*...any size u harvest your cukes that will be what you'll be getting every 4 days". Never knew this

Thanks, I'm guessing the only extra need will be the increased desire for water by the plants.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.