Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,561 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho (25110 Views)

"The Nigeria Air MUST FAIL" - Oby Ezekwesili / Security Agents Harassing Oby Ezekwesili During Lone Protest In Abuja / Oby Ezekwesili Protests Alone Over Plateau Killings (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2018
Delivar:

Good question!!

The various ways ideas are impacted on people in Nigeria is the same way changing the mindset of majority of Nigerians can be achieved. Channels such as churches, mosques, schools, the media, social gatherings and even home training are all the tools. Although these mediums are currently being used to influence the mindset of the population positively but unfortunately the effort is not sufficient enough. It needs to be heavily intensified. Schools in Nigeria for instance only focus on educating students to learn English and mathematics. Nigerian schools don't teach ethics and values in any meaningful way that can make an impact. Churches too most times only preach about miraculous prosperity and other irrelevant things that can never make people understand what it requires to improve their standard of living of citizens of a country. I wonder how many times parents discussed with their kids highlighting how tribalism, religious fanaticism, corruption and other vices are idestroying the country. There are currently no mass media outlets wholely dedicated to achieving this objective.

This is not something that can be achieved overnight. Its something that takes many years of constant and intensive effort to achieve. But at the end the results will start taking effect gradually.

Nice one so you admit that it would take years hence the speed of development is not what is important rather than the quality of such developments. Now I put it to you, which is easier? Teaching someone that is hungry and frustrated ethics and morality or teaching the same to someone that is comfortable? Do you wonder why messge of prosperity and hammer hammer songs sell faster in Nigeria than one of ethics? When someone unethical ends up with billions and someone that does the right thing always ends up in abject poverty, who do you think the younger ones would look up to? Like I said Nigeria's problem is way more complex than theoretical analysis, the practical aspect requires nothing short of a miracle!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 11:07pm On Nov 07, 2018
abbey621:

Nice one so you admit that it would take years hence the speed of development is not what is important rather than the quality of such developments. Now I put it to you, which is easier? Teaching someone that is hungry and frustrated ethics and morality or teaching the same to someone that is comfortable? Do you wonder why messge of prosperity and hammer hammer songs sell faster in Nigeria than one of ethics? When someone unethical ends up with billions and someone that does the right thing always ends up in abject poverty, who do you think the younger ones would look up to? Like I said Nigeria's problem is way more complex than theoretical analysis, the practical aspect requires nothing short of a miracle!
I don't quite understand what you were trying to say in the first part in bold. The fact that I mentioned speed doesn't mean I am dismissing quality.

The second part in bold is exactly why I am saying Nigerians needs to be educated by upgrading their mindset. You have provided an example of one of the bad mindsets of Nigerians that needs to be erased, which is the attitude of quick money regardless of how it is gotten whether legal or illegal, and also glorifying wealth. If citizens have this kind of mindset how do you expect the nation to progress? These citizens can easily be bought with money giving us people like Tinubu. Hope you now see what I have been preaching about.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 11:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
Delivar:

I don't quite understand what you were trying to say in the first part in bold. The fact that I mentioned speed doesn't mean I am dismissing quality.

The second part in bold is exactly why I am saying Nigerians needs to be educated by upgrading their mindset. You have provided an example of one of the bad mindsets of Nigerians that needs to be erased, which is the attitude of quick money regardless of how it is gotten whether legal or illegal, and also glorifying wealth. If citizens have this kind of mindset how do you expect the nation to progress? These citizens can easily be bought with money giving us people like Tinubu. Hope you now see what I have been preaching about.

Point 1: You used China as an example of speedy progress and rebuked Nigeria for not developing within similar timeframe. My point all along is that while Nigeria is not progressing at a speedy rate, you cannt deny that we have witnessed some elements of progress in various sectors.

Point 2: How do you wipe away unethical mindset when hunger is the topic of the day? It took the U.S decades to do away with slavery, decades to give women voting rights and more years to inact fair laws which targetted monopolies. My point is that educating the masses is far down the list of things that needs to be done that we should save it for the future. Right now, the topic should be, how we can get 200 different ethnic groups with religious differences to coexist and think of the nation rather than their own selfish interest. Patriotism is what is lacking here in Nigeria not education, putting your country first before you own family is what made countries like the U.S. and China great. When we have true patriots in power, they can set the tone for the entire nation and gradually implement policies that would take care of hunger and poverty while simulteanously wiping out corruption and increasing our ethical knowledge/capacity.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2018
abbey621:

Point 1: You used China as an example of speedy progress and rebuked Nigeria for not developing within similar timeframe. My point all along is that while Nigeria is not progressing at a speedy rate, you cannt deny that we have witnessed some elements of progress in various sectors.

Point 2: How do you wipe away unethical mindset when hunger is the topic of the day? It took the U.S decades to do away with slavery, decades to give women voting rights and more years to inact fair laws which targetted monopolies. My point is that educating the masses is far down the list of things that needs to be done that we should save it for the future. Right now, the topic should be, how we can get 200 different ethnic groups with religious differences to coexist and think of the nation rather than their own selfish interest. Patriotism is what is lacking here in Nigeria not education, putting your country first before you own family is what made countries like the U.S. and China great. When we have true patriots in power, they can set the tone for the entire nation and gradually implement policies that would take care of hunger and poverty while simulteanously wiping out corruption and increasing our ethical knowledge/capacity.
When did I say there was no progress at all? Haven't I been saying progress is too slow and insufficient for a 60 years old nation? I am glad you have now STYLISHLY agreed with me that Nigeria's progress has been slow.

You said the issue is how we can make the 200 ethnic groups to unite together and work for the good of the nation. You also said patriotism is what is lacking in Nigeria and not education. Now my question is, how do you think we can make Nigerians become patriots and forget their ethnic differences? Do you think Nigerians will suddenly wake up one day and automatically become patriots? Patriotism is a mindset to be instilled into people's minds. People need to LEARN to be patriots. The process of instilling a mindset and knowledge into people's minds is called EDUCATION. Without EDUCATION Nigerians will NEVER be patriots, therefore education comes first and paramount before citizens become patriotic and the nation starts advancing. Have you now seen the proof that education is the most important element? Have you now realized you don't know what you have been saying all this while?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 3:38pm On Nov 08, 2018
Delivar:

When did I say there was no progress at all? Haven't I been saying progress is too slow and insufficient for a 60 years old nation? I am glad you have now STYLISHLY agreed with me that Nigeria's progress has been slow.

You said the issue is how we can make the 200 ethnic groups to unite together and work for the good of the nation. You also said patriotism is what is lacking in Nigeria and not education. Now my question is, how do you think we can make Nigerians become patriots and forget their ethnic differences? Do you think Nigerians will suddenly wake up one day and automatically become patriots? Patriotism is a mindset to be instilled into people's minds. People need to LEARN to be patriots. The process of instilling a mindset and knowledge into people's minds is called EDUCATION. Without EDUCATION Nigerians will NEVER be patriots, therefore education comes first and paramount before citizens become patriotic and the nation starts advancing. Have you now seen the proof that education is the most important element? Have you now realized you don't know what you have been saying all this while?

You said and I quote, "There have been no significant development in Nigeria", I proved your statement wrong hence let's not debate on that anymore! Moving on, were Americans taught to be patriots? What about the Chinese? Patriotism occurs naturally when you know your nation is worth fighting for, this can only come when the people see hope, when they see a future. Take the 93 elections for example, the hope in the nation at that time was at an all-time high, there was genuine love and hope, people came out in masses to vote and everyone was already dreaming of a bright future. Yu don't teach that, it comes naturally with positivity not negativity. My friend just give up, you are not going to use outdated rhetoric to bolster your argument, patriotism is lacking in Nigera because the people do not have hope, with sustained development, hope will be restored, patriots will arise and Nigeria will be greater. You can educate people all you want, if there is no hope, if their dreams are constantly being crushed you'll end up with a worthless society!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2018
abbey621:

You said and I quote, "There have been no significant development in Nigeria", I proved your statement wrong hence let's not debate on that anymore! Moving on, were Americans taught to be patriots? What about the Chinese? Patriotism occurs naturally when you know your nation is worth fighting for, this can only come when the people see hope, when they see a future. Take the 93 elections for example, the hope in the nation at that time was at an all-time high, there was genuine love and hope, people came out in masses to vote and everyone was already dreaming of a bright future. Yu don't teach that, it comes naturally with positivity not negativity. My friend just give up, you are not going to use outdated rhetoric to bolster your argument, patriotism is lacking in Nigera because the people do not have hope, with sustained development, hope will be restored, patriots will arise and Nigeria will be greater. You can educate people all you want, if there is no hope, if their dreams are constantly being crushed you'll end up with a worthless society!

Are you saying if someone says "there is no significant" it means the same as "there is nothing" ? angry angry

Patriotism is what is lacking here in Nigeria not education

Of course patriotism occurs naturally. But your statement above says patriotism is lacking and you said the issue is how to restore the patriotism. How else do you think patriotism can be restored other than EDUCATING the masses by convincing them there is HOPE ahead? And also explaining to the masses how they should conduct themselves to achieve a bright future. To restore the patriotism you think is lost the masses must have KNOWLEDGE of the promising future ahead. This is all EDUCATION.

The above statement of yours also means Nigeria is not developing good enough because patriotism is what is lacking. Now you are saying with sustained development patriotism will be restored. How can there be sustained development when you already believe there will be be no sustained or sufficient development since patriotism is lacking in Nigeria? See how you are confusing yourself because you don't know what you are saying.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 5:10pm On Nov 08, 2018
Delivar:

Are you saying if someone says "there is no significant" it means the same as "there is nothing" ? angry angry

Of course patriotism occurs naturally. But your statement above says patriotism is lacking and you said the issue is how to restore the patriotism. How else do you think patriotism can be restored other than EDUCATING the masses by convincing them there is HOPE ahead? And also explaining to the masses how they should conduct themselves to achieve a bright future. To restore the patriotism you think is lost the masses must have KNOWLEDGE of the promising future ahead. This is all EDUCATION.

The above statement of yours also means Nigeria is not developing good enough because patriotism is what is lacking. Now you are saying with sustained development patriotism will be restored. How can there be sustained development when you already believe there will be be no sustained or sufficient development since patriotism is lacking in Nigeria? See how you are confusing yourself because you don't know what you are saying.

Ask yourself how did China develop rapidly in the last 2 decaades? Is it by educating the masses or by having a strong leader surrounded by even stronger cabinet? Trying to instill patriotism in the masses is completely different from having few leaders willing to do anything to better their country. Nigeria is a country that works better when leadership at the top is efficient. It's like a man diagnosed with HIV, you can educate him all you want about how people are beating the disease but if he has no money and just witnessed another person die from the disease, he is not going to believe you! Give the people hope, not thru words but action! A little hope goes a long way my friend, 200 level back in 9ja I was a mess, everything tire me but then 300 dad made me a proposal, graduate with decent grades and you'll come to the U.S., this little hope was all the motivation I needed. Your initial premise that Nigeria is not developed because the people have low I.Q is a fallacy, you'll see just how high the I.Q of the average Nigerian can be if they just restored the faith in a better Nigeria. All it takes is a few good leaders willing to put the interest of the masses above their own, I call it leadership by example.

My years of working in a fortune 50 company taught me valuable lessons about how little education matters when people lack motivation. Leaders must recognize this and focus more on motivation, Nigeria can be great one sector at a time but greed, corruption and lack of patriotism will not allow it. You can try your approach of educating bu you are on a long thing, nobody will listen to your jargon but they'll certainly collect the bag of rice or the 500 Naira being shared. You can tell them how wrong it is to collect those things but as long as they are hungry, your words means NOTHING!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2018
abbey621:

Ask yourself how did China develop rapidly in the last 2 decaades? Is it by educating the masses or by having a strong leader surrounded by even stronger cabinet? Trying to instill patriotism in the masses is completely different from having few leaders willing to do anything to better their country. Nigeria is a country that works better when leadership at the top is efficient. It's like a man diagnosed with HIV, you can educate him all you want about how people are beating the disease but if he has no money and just witnessed another person die from the disease, he is not going to believe you! Give the people hope, not thru words but action! A little hope goes a long way my friend, 200 level back in 9ja I was a mess, everything tire me but then 300 dad made me a proposal, graduate with decent grades and you'll come to the U.S., this little hope was all the motivation I needed. Your initial premise that Nigeria is not developed because the people have low I.Q is a fallacy, you'll see just how high the I.Q of the average Nigerian can be if they just restored the faith in a better Nigeria. All it takes is a few good leaders willing to put the interest of the masses above their own, I call it leadership by example.

My years of working in a fortune 50 company taught me valuable lessons about how little education matters when people lack motivation. Leaders must recognize this and focus more on motivation, Nigeria can be great one sector at a time but greed, corruption and lack of patriotism will not allow it. You can try your approach of educating bu you are on a long thing, nobody will listen to your jargon but they'll certainly collect the bag of rice or the 500 Naira being shared. You can tell them how wrong it is to collect those things but as long as they are hungry, your words means NOTHING!
You have started another China comparison but if I use it against you you will start saying comparisons are not right because the two countries are different in size, population and culture grin grin

For your information, the patriotism and loss of hope you are mentioning is NOT the problem because majority of Nigerians are patriots and hopeful. The only people who have lost hope and patriotism are mainly Igbos because they have been calling for separation. The population of Igbos who have lost hope and calling for separation are a minority which is not sufficient to say Nigerians are not patriots. The rest of Nigerians who are not calling for secession are indeed patriots and hopeful or else they would be asking for secession too. They only want their leaders do things right but unfortunately Nigerian leaders are still part of the UNEDUCATED masses with the WRONG MINDSET which is why the leaders are incompetent.

Whether you like it or not, EDUCATION is the key.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 6:10pm On Nov 08, 2018
Delivar:

You have started another China comparison but if I use it against you you will start saying comparisons are not right because the two countries are different in size, population and culture grin grin

[b]For your information, the patriotism and loss of hope you are mentioning is NOT the problem because majority of Nigerians are patriots and hopeful. [/b]The only people who have lost hope and patriotism are mainly Igbos because they have been calling for separation. The population of Igbos who have lost hope and calling for separation are a minority which is not sufficient to say Nigerians are not patriots. The rest of Nigerians who are not calling for secession are indeed patriots and hopeful or else they would be asking for secession too. They only want their leaders do things right but unfortunately Nigerian leaders are still part of the UNEDUCATED masses with the WRONG MINDSET which is why the leaders are incompetent.

Whether you like it or not, EDUCATION is the key.

Based on the bold part of your statement, I think it's fair to say we've reached the end of this little debate. Majority of Nigerians are patriots....lol. Get some rest my friend grin grin grin grin
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 6:15pm On Nov 08, 2018
abbey621:

Based on the bold part of your statement, I think it's fair to say we've reached the end of this little debate. Majority of Nigerians are patriots....lol. Get some rest my friend grin grin grin grin
But you said Nigerians are lacking patriotism. Isn't it?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 6:25pm On Nov 08, 2018
Delivar:

But you said Nigerians are lacking patriotism. Isn't it?

And you said they are patriots, which is funny considering we've yet to have a true revolution in this country. It's also funny because all it took was a small threat for people like 2face to abandon a protest....Patriots my foot!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by Delivar(m): 6:36pm On Nov 08, 2018
abbey621:

And you said they are patriots, which is funny considering we've yet to have a true revolution in this country. It's also funny because all it took was a small threat for people like 2face to abandon a protest....Patriots my foot!
Hold on to your belief and let me hold on to mine or else this conversation will last till enternity. Cheers
Re: Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho by abbey621(m): 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2018
Delivar:

Hold on to your belief and let me hold on to mine or else this conversation will last till enternity. Cheers

Now you're talking....cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasir El-rufai Criticizes GEJ For Trying To Save Al Makura's Asss / Buhari Appoints James Momoh As NERC Chairman / Buhari Has Approved Magu’s Suspension - AGF, Malami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.