Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,344 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers (49178 Views)

Atiku Meets Nigerian Guild Of Editors And Other Media Organisations / Prince Charles Meets Doctors Working In Maiduguri (Video) / PHOTOS: Osinbajo Meets Nigerian Girls That Won World Largest Tech Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by TAO11(f): 5:02am On Nov 07, 2018
davidnazee:

That is your interpretation of the photo.. The sitting arrangement was done by federal government not based on historical relevance.,
From the photo you can see that even though Oba of Benin is placed at the back, his symbol of Power is still besides him, if He was sitted right beside the Prince Charles he will still have his Symbol of power beside him.. unlike Oni wey dem drive him own far away..
Oba of Benin remains the most revered and greatest..

I love this consolation.

IF he was "sitted" ...

But why was he not "sitted" there? Why do we have to forever wait for "IF"?

As if the reason why that slave is standing right there behind him is not obvious enough

3 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by ImperialYoruba: 5:13am On Nov 07, 2018
odigbosky:

not trying to flame up the heated conversation already. Just wanted to correct you on the impression that the Ada and Eben were given to us by Oronmiyan. sorry ehn....those royal swords and the royal stool were invented by the Ogisos....Go read your GST again

I choosed to ignore the thread in culture section where Yoruba boys taught you your history. If i had participated you would have heard from me where the ada comes from.

That sword in Benin is a replica of the authentic Oranmiyan sword kept in Ile Ife.

6 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by ImperialYoruba: 5:17am On Nov 07, 2018
The Original held by Ooni

The replica used in a procession

5 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by tubolancer(m): 5:29am On Nov 07, 2018
davidnazee:

That is your interpretation of the photo.. The sitting arrangement was done by federal government not based on historical relevance.,
From the photo you can see that even though Oba of Benin is placed at the back, his symbol of Power is still besides him, if He was sitted right beside the Prince Charles he will still have his Symbol of power beside him.. unlike Oni wey dem drive him own far away..
Oba of Benin remains the most revered and greatest..
Pele o, continue to deceive yourself.

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by TAO11(f): 5:49am On Nov 07, 2018
odigbosky:

not trying to flame up the heated conversation already. Just wanted to correct you on the impression that the Ada and Eben were given to us by Oronmiyan. sorry ehn....those royal swords and the royal stool were invented by the Ogisos....Go read your GST again

No they weren't and I will give you reasons.

The royal sword is a metal casting you will agree with me. The oral traditions of the Binis tells them that metal casting was taught to them by the Ifes.

Please read about a prominent man in Benin history by the name Igueghae aka Igue-Igha (his life coincides with the reign of Oba Oguola -- the 4th Oba from Oba Eweka). A shrine his dedicated to him for his veneration up till today in Benin at the house of Chief Ine.

He is believed by the Binis to be the man from Uhe (Ile-Ife) to have brought the knowledge of metal casting to the Binis. The Binis had previously imported every metal casting they had from Ile-Ife. So, since his life coincides with Oba Oguola's reign, then the explanation that the royal sword (of Eweka or even earlier) is from Ife is the valid explanation.

Also, regarding the royal stool: Although the Igodomigodos had some form of monarchy prior to Oromiyan's arrival. They had the indigenous form namely the Ogiso-ship monarchy, but since Oromiyan's arrival, they had transitioned completely to a foreign form namely the Oba-ship monarchy.

The transition was not so peaceful as it appears because some chiefs undermined Eweka's authority. The rivalry between the indigenous dynasty of the Ogisos and the foreign dynasty of the Obas is still in Edo folklore and still generates some hard feelings till today. There is a Benin saying which still echoes the rift i.e. the saying that _Ogiso is what Edos know not Oba_. In fact, up till today, the land is leased from the Ogiso descendants during the crowning ceremony of an Oba, all in an attempt to dampen the rivalry between the two dynasties.

So, while the Ogiso dynasty can be argued to be indigenous to the Edos, the Oba dynasty is foreign and from Ile-Ife precisely after the entrance of the Ile-Ife prince Oromiyan.

I am aware of attempts by some to twist narratives that is well rooted and has since circulated far and wide even outside the shore of Nigeria. I know of some ethnocentric redaction attempts by a Benin historian Omoigui to claim that Oduduwa is one and the same person as a certain Edo prince by the name Ekalederhan which many other Benin sources indicates to have lived centuries after Oromiyan himself.

It is important to mention that all the redaction attempts from the Benin side (e.g. the Ekaladehran and Oduduwa equation) is not found in any of the writings of the foremost and most prominent historian of Benin extraction (Chief Jacob Egharevba) who is considered a primary source on Benin History even by western experts.

Attempts to redact and twist history stems from ethnocentrism and esteem issues and it is at best a wasted effort, because it usually results in a patchwork which will nonetheless still reveal the seams, something will just not jive in some other areas of the story, contradictions will be manifest.

So, I submit (in light of the evidences I have adduced) that the royal sword was not of Benin origin, neither is the stool as we know it today indigenous to Edo.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by ImperialYoruba: 5:56am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

The royal sword is a metal casting you will agree with me. The oral traditions of the Binis tells them that metal casting was taught to them by the Ifes.

Please read about a prominent man in Benin history by the name Igueghae aka Igue-Igha (his life coincides with the reign of Oba Oguola -- the 4th Oba from Oba Eweka). A shrine his dedicated to him for his veneration up till today in Benin at the house of Chief Ine.

He is believed by the Binis to be the man from Uhe (Ile-Ife) to have brought the knowledge of metal casting to the Binis. The Binis had previously imported every metal casting they had from Ile-Ife. So, since his life coincides with Oba Oguola's reign, then the explanation that the royal sword (of Eweka or even earlier) is from Ife is the valid explanation.

Also, regarding the royal stool: Although the Igodomigodos had some form of monarchy prior to Oromiyan's arrival. They had the indigenous form namely the Ogiso-ship monarchy, but since Oromiyan's arrival, they had transitioned completely to a foreign form namely the Oba-ship monarchy.

The transition was not so peaceful as it appears because some chiefs undermined Eweka's authority. The rivalry between the indigenous dynasty of the Ogisos and the foreign dynasty of the Obas is still in Edo folklore and still generates some hard feelings till today. There is a saying which which still echoes the rift i.e. the saying that _Ogiso is what Edos know not Oba_.

In fact, up till today, the land is leased from the Ogiso descendants during the crowning ceremony of an Oba all in an attempt to dampen the rivalry between the two dynasties.

So, while the Ogiso dynasty can be argued to be indigenous to the Edos, the Oba dynasty is foreign and from Ile-Ife precisely after the entrance of the Ile-Ife prince Oromiyan.

I am aware of attempts by some to twist narratives that is well rooted and has since circulated far and wide even outside the shore of Nigeria. I know of some ethnocentric redaction attempts by a Benin historian Omoigui to claim that Oduduwa is one and the same person as a certain Edo prince by the name Ekalederhan which many other Benin sources indicates to have lived centuries after Oromiyan himself.

It is important to mention that all the redaction attempts from the Benin side (e.g. the Ekaladehran and Oduduwa equation) is not found in any of the writings of the foremost and most prominent historian of Benin extraction (Chief Jacob Egharevba) who is considered a primary source on Benin History even my western experts.

Attempts to redact and twist history steps from ethnocentrism and esteem and it is at best a wasted effort, because it usually results in a patchwork which will nonetheless still reveal the seams, something will just not jive in some other areas of the story, contradictions will be manifest.

So, I submit (in light of the evidences I have adduced) that the royal sword was not of Benin origin, neither is the stool as we know it today indigenous to Edo.

3 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by sangresan(m): 6:22am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

proof of how it happened from sources other than my daddy told me? thank you

Proof from sources?

dis pipu sef
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by sangresan(m): 6:33am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

Culture and civilizations in the subsaharan region have always had contacts with themselves even before the colonialists. They paid tributes and taxes to themselves depending on superiority which is often defined by the military might of a kingdom, it's wealth, it's technical skills, ancientness, etc.

The Europeans didn't come to rank, they met the rankings and they observed and documented a lot during their over 500 years stay in parts of the region that will later become known as Nigeria. Benin for instance paid tribute to Ife, Eko paid to Benin, amongst others.

And your photo and its accompanying comment just exposed your desperate (you should regret not to have gone that route). That's the Obis palace and not some meeting of Nigeria monarchs.

He welcomed a visitor with whatever he has always welcomed visitors with.

Benin didn't pay any tribute to Ife...Some of you just come online to spew trash here...

In fact, no first class oba in Yorubaland has ever paid the Ooni any tribute.....

Until the time of Oba Adesoji Aderemi, Ooni was just another king in Yorubaland....All the tales you have swallowed about his mythical authority were invented.

Alaafin was the Paramount ruler in Yorubaland....The term "Yoruba" refers to Oyo people, not Ife people. The most acceptable form of written Yoruba is "Oyo" not "Ife"...

Many of you making noise here can't even write a sentence in Ife dialect....Besides, Ooni of Ife isn't among Oduduwa children...He is just like a priest appointed to guard the shrine and burial tomb.

So, I don't know where he derives his so-called power from.

Read history and ask questions...Don't just regurgitate what you heard from your ill-informed uncles...

The British came and elevated some kings who didn't resist their rule....They downgraded the Oba of Benin, Awujale of Ijebu, etc...On the other hand, they made the Ooni (who had no standing army), Alake of Egba, and others to look as if they were powerful...That's why I said these kings were British-made....Throughout the world, kings are ranked based on military conquest and conquered territory....For example, Hausa-Fulani people didn't originate from Sokoto, but the Sultan is the No 1 ruler among them due to his past conquests. Further, the Queen of England is also the Head of the Commonwealth due to past victories in battles. Only in Nigeria will you see a king without any history of conquest being described as powerful. A king whose town was sacked by Modakeke forces and had to go on exile in Oke Igbo.

Action Group politics also somehow made Ooni superior to the Alaafin just because the then Alaafin supported NCNC against the AG...

Well, the Ooni is regarded by some pretenders as the paramount Yoruba oba, but in the real sense, he is only the king of his Ife people.

Saying otherwise is just like deceiving ourselves that Nigeria, as presently constituted, makes any sense.

4 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by princdebola201(m): 6:37am On Nov 07, 2018
AyakaDunukofia:

Your submission is profoundly unfounded.

Did the British meet the present Nigerians running a single polity? I guess you'll agree with me the answer is No.

Then, how were the traditional stools you mentioned ahead of others in pre British Nigeria when they didn't have anything in common?

You must not type an argument just because you want to type something. Thinking is an essential aspect of a learned discussion.

The British met autonomous entities. And city states with very well respected rulers that were more powerful than the ones mentioned; Jaja of Opobo, Nana of Itshekiri, Oba Ado of Lagos Island, Kings of Bonny, kings of Benin were some of them.

These powerful city states existed without any contact with others in present Nigeria.

See the photo of Ooni at Onitsha, did the chair arrangement make the Ooni less powerful than the Obi? No.
yen yen yen yen did ooni visited obi so what do u expect . This picture both re outside their kingdom .u can blab or spin all the tales it doesnt change the fact that ooni and sultan re the most superior stool that influence spread across west africa
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by TAO11(f): 7:08am On Nov 07, 2018
sangresan:

Benin didn't pay any tribute to Ife...Some of you just come online to spew trash here...

In fact, no first class oba in Yorubaland has ever paid the Ooni any tribute.....

Until the time of Oba Adesoji Aderemi, Ooni was just another king in Yorubaland....All the tales you have swallowed about his mythical authority were invented.

Alaafin was the Paramount ruler in Yorubaland....The term "Yoruba" refers to Oyo people, not Ife people. The most acceptable form of written Yoruba is "Oyo" not "Ife"...

Many of you making noise here can't even write a sentence in Ife dialect....Besides, Ooni of Ife isn't among Oduduwa children...He is just like a priest appointed to guard the shrine and burial tomb.

So, I don't know where he derives his so-called power from.

Read history and ask questions...Don't just regurgitate what he heard from your ill-informed uncles...

Hello Oyo itself was founded by an Ife prince Oromiyan. And every single Yoruba dynasty was founded by an Ife prince. [confirm this from any source or person or Yoruba town you know). Although, Oyo later rose to become a dominant force among the later politically independent "Yoruba" countries.

The name "Yoruba" as a generic description for all these independent countries was first used by a Songhai sef and in a 16th century
treatise. It's a case of what generic name to be adopted by all of them and not a case of which country was the most ancient.

I think you are just being emotive here. The Binis paid homage to Ile-Ife and the practice still continues in present times. I back my claims up with evidences unlike you.

Refer to the video link below (time: "00:46:53 to 00:50:20" ) for a statement of fact regarding whether or not the Obas of Benin paid homage to the Ooni of Ife in the past. The statement in this British Museum documentary is not coming from a Benin man, neither is it coming from an Ife man. It is coming from people who based their evidence on written sources that have been handed down by the Europeans who lived in and around Benin from generation to generation for about 500 years from around 1486 when they got to Benin till 1960.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSNMHSzbAM&t=39s

Refer to the video below for evidence of a report from an independent media (not Yoruba and not Edo) on the places the Oba of Benin visited when he visited Osun State earlier this year on a two-day royal visit. The Oba of Benin during this visit paid homage at the "Orun Oba 'Do" shrine (a shrine where the heads of the Obas of Benin from Oba Eweka 1 to Oba Adolo was buried in Ile-Ife).

Interestingly, Chief Jacob Egharevba (the earliest and most prominent Benin academic historian of great repute) in his work "A Short History of Benin" acknowledged this rites of sending deceased Oba's heads from Benin to Ife; his only difference from the Ife's tradition is that he says it happens only once every three reigns; but he at least admitted it unlike other later lowly esteemed redactors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhU2AmpvJk

The fact that the Binis took permission from Ile-Ife to crown their Obas (which never happened even once in the reverse case); the fact that the official language in the court of the Oba of Benin up until 1934 was Yoruba (which never happened even for once in the reverse case); etc. are all admitted by Chief Jacob Egharevba in his work.

Benin wake up and kiss reality ...

Thank you ...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by sangresan(m): 7:20am On Nov 07, 2018
As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" was first recorded in reference to the Oyo Empire in a treatise written by the 16th century Songhai scholar Ahmed Baba.
It was popularized by Hausa usage and ethnography written in Arabic and Ajami during the 19th century, in origin referring to the Oyo exclusively.
The extension of the term to all speakers of dialects related to the usage of the Oyo (in modern terminology North-West Yoruba) dates to the second half of the 19th century.
Professor Ade Ajayi in “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.
Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers.
The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation. Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.
Furthermore, in the Ifa Corpus there's no Odu where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, it is as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

Is this not what you are struggling to quote?

lol...kindergarten historians on Nairaland...

Egarevba ko, Samuel Johnson ni.
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by TAO11(f): 7:40am On Nov 07, 2018
sangresan:
As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" was first recorded in reference to the Oyo Empire in a treatise written by the 16th century Songhai scholar Ahmed Baba.
It was popularized by Hausa usage and ethnography written in Arabic and Ajami during the 19th century, in origin referring to the Oyo exclusively.
The extension of the term to all speakers of dialects related to the usage of the Oyo (in modern terminology North-West Yoruba) dates to the second half of the 19th century.
Professor Ade Ajayi in “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.
Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers.
The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation. Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.
Furthermore, in the Ifa Corpus there's no Odu where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, it is as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

Is this not what you are struggling to quote?

lol...kindergarten historians on Nairaland...

Egarevba ko, Samuel Johnson ni.

Oga I know all these stories about the word "Yoruba" and I have written extensively on it in some posts about two days ago.

The most likely etymology for the word "Yoruba" according to experts is the phrase "Oyoroba" an Oya supremasist phrase meaning "Oyo is king" which historians admit is made by the Oyos because they had grown in the course of their history into a dominant force to reckon with in sub-Saharan Africa and not because they are the most ancient of "Yoruba" kingdom.

The Oyos know themselves to be descended from Ife. They know their founder to be Oromiyan. So your claim to the effect that they are the most ancient "Yoruba" kingdom doesn't fly at all.

All I am saying is that the fact that all these politically independent countries (which later came to be generically know as Yoruba) adopted the title "Yoruba" is a "non sequitur" argument for your conclusion to the effect that Oyo is the most ancient.

Such conclusions from you will obviously beg the question of the origin of the Oyos (where do the Oyos descend from) and any answer you give will either contradict your position that they are the most ancient of "Yoruba" kingdoms or it will contradict many widely established historical facts.

Many people initially resisted the title "Yoruba" because it was clearly an Oyo supremasist title which the Oyos repeat not because of their being the most ancient of Yoruba kingdoms (of course they are descended from Ife) but because they have grown to become a very mighty, wealthy, and highly civilized state in the sub-saran African region.

This was a time when all these countries (even though admitting common origin, language, culture, etc.) have each grown too be big to have seen itself as politically independent. They actually waged war against each other.

Lol ... I knew all those but there was no point emphasizing these details because it was non-sequittur. You have emphasized either because of your naivety as regards how it doesn't helped your argument or because you know it doesn't help you but you can't afford to be seen not saying something.

Should I remind you that you conveniently found a way to elope the evidences I presented for the homage paying to Ifes by the Oba of Benis? Also, please note that simply saying "Egharevba ko Samuel Johnson ni" can never be accepted by any serious historian as contrary evidence against what I have claimed about homage paying by the Obas of Benin to Ile Ife which I also substantiated with evidences claim.

grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by sangresan(m): 7:42am On Nov 07, 2018
Tales from Arabian Nights:

Oyo was founded by an Ife Prince-

As if Oduduwa himself was an Ife man...

Oba of Benin paid tribute to the Ooni of Ife-

As if visiting the shrine of the Bini prince called Oduduwa is synonymous with paying tribute

You have a YouTube video-

History on YouTube...Clap for yourself

Jacob Egarevba was the authority on Benin History-

Look, my friend, Egarevba has been variously discredited just like other historians of his time...

It all goes down to where Oduduwa came from....

From heaven on a chain, from Mecca as some deluded folks still believe, or from Bini (as it's being investigated by university dons)?

You even tried....but you haven't told us the position of the Ooni among Oduduwa children...Is he no.1 or 2 or 3?....lol

catch you later.

1 Like

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by sangresan(m): 7:52am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

Oga I know all these Storie about the word "Yoruba" and I have written extensively on it in some posts about two days ago. The most likely etymology for it according to experts is the phrase "Oyoroba" an Oya supremist phrase meaning "Oyo is king" which every historian admits comes from the Oyos because of the fact that Oyo grew into a dominant force to reckon with in sub-Saharan Africa and not because they are the most ancient kingdom.

The Oyos know themselves to be descended from Ife. They know their founder to be Oromiyan.

All I am saying is that the fact that all these politically independent countries (which later came to be generically know as Yoruba) adopted the title "Yoruba" is a "non sequitur" argument for your conclusion that Oyo is the most ancient. Such conclusion from you will obviously beg the question of the Origin of where Oyo descended and any answer you give will either contradict your position that they are the most ancient of "Yoruba" kingdoms or it will contradict many widely established historical facts.

Many people initially resisted the title "Yoruba" because it was viewed as an Oyo supremasist phrase which the Oyo repeats not because of it being the most ancient of Yoruba kingdoms (of course they are descended from Ife) but because they grew to become a very mighty, wealthy, and highly civilized state in the sub-saran African region.

Lol ... I know all those but there was no point going into details because it was non-sequittur.

Should I remind you that you conveniently found a way to elope the evidences I presented for the homage paying to Ifes by the Oba of Benis. Also, please note that simply saying "Egharevba ko Samuel Johnson ni" can never be accepted by any serious historian as contrary evidence against what I have claimed about homage paying by the Obas of Benin to Ile Ife which I also substantiated with evidences claim.

grin grin

Ogbeni, I told you that the term "Yoruba" referred to the Oyos not Ife people...Ooni and his people featured sparingly in Yoruba history up till the 20th Century...He wasnt at any point receiving tribute or adulation from the other kings...Yes, Oduduwa was the progenitor of "some" Yoruba kings, but the Ooni of Ife wasn't among Oduduwa children and couldn't be so revered.......Except you want to tell us that Benin Empire, for example, sent forces to help the Ooni when his town was sacked by the Modakeke forces...That's my point..

As to your ludicrous claims, we will catch up later..
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by freshboy88(m): 8:00am On Nov 07, 2018
Okoroawusa:

One important thing about inferiority complex is that you,the sufferer of the condition, constantly look for opportunities to prove that you are inferior

Bless ur soul for this reply.
That's the problem I have with my igbo brothers. Always feeling cheated
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by Christistruth00: 8:01am On Nov 07, 2018
smiley

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 07, 2018
funny people
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by Badtman(m): 8:40am On Nov 07, 2018
resurgent4oodua:
Where Obal Rilwan Akiolu in all of these?

I thought the snubbed the Ooni thinking he's a young man?

Ooni is the Arole oodua. Any other Oba is a counterfeit!
Don't spew thrash unku Alaafin Omo iku Omo arun
...... Iku babayeye nko
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by nikkybeez(f): 9:03am On Nov 07, 2018
Prince Charles is too old for such visit,why not bring someone like Prince Williams or Prince Harry.They are vibrant and at the same time not so old.Prince Charles witnessed colonialism.Whats the purpose of the visit?to check what’s left of the country�.
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by Tolexander: 10:01am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

The transition was not so peaceful as it appears because some chiefs undermined Eweka's authority. The rivalry between the indigenous dynasty of the Ogisos and the foreign dynasty of the Obas is still in Edo folklore and still generates some hard feelings till today. There is a Benin saying which still echoes the rift i.e. the saying that _Ogiso is what Edos know not Oba_. In fact, up till today, the land is leased from the Ogiso descendants during the crowning ceremony of an Oba, all in an attempt to dampen the rivalry between the two dynasties.

It is important to mention that all the redaction attempts from the Benin side (e.g. the Ekaladehran and Oduduwa equation) is not found in any of the writings of the foremost and most prominent historian of Benin extraction (Chief Jacob Egharevba) who is considered a primary source on Benin History even by western experts.

Attempts to redact and twist history stems from ethnocentrism and esteem issues and it is at best a wasted effort, because it usually results in a patchwork which will nonetheless still reveal the seams, something will just not jive in some other areas of the story, contradictions will be manifest.

Ori e pe!

I'm impressed like "kilode"grin

2 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by rastaLivity: 10:10am On Nov 07, 2018
AyakaDunukofia:

Your submission is profoundly unfounded.

Did the British meet the present Nigerians running a single polity? I guess you'll agree with me the answer is No.

Then, how were the traditional stools you mentioned ahead of others in pre British Nigeria when they didn't have anything in common?

You must not type an argument just because you want to type something. Thinking is an essential aspect of a learned discussion.

The British met autonomous entities. And city states with very well respected rulers that were more powerful than the ones mentioned; Jaja of Opobo, Nana of Itshekiri, Oba Ado of Lagos Island, Kings of Bonny, kings of Benin were some of them.

These powerful city states existed without any contact with others in present Nigeria.

See the photo of Ooni at Onitsha, did the chair arrangement make the Ooni less powerful than the Obi? No.
you're so full of sense
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by odigbosky(m): 10:16am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

After reading all through your write up, i came to the conclusion that you just came here for the whole yoruba superiority contest. It is obvious that you are yoruba. You made a claim that the yorubas thought us metal casting. What kind of metal, you did not indicate. You went further to say ancient Edos got all their metal works from ife. This literally meant all Benin war equipments were gotten from Ife. i would then ask what did Oba Ewedo then fight with i guess with stone tools. What Egharevba talked about was about Bronze Casting and it is very wrong to paint a picture as if the Edos had no prior knowledge to metal works before the Oguola time. Some of the first moats were built by Oba Oguola during wars with the Duke of Udo called Akpanigiakon.
As for the stool, it was one of the things surrendered to Oba Ewedo after he defeated Ogiame in the battle of Ekiophaga. Son for you to say the stool also came from ife...please bro just drop the whole ethnic shit and sip your alomo bitters.

Those swords are associated with the Monarchy of Benin and not any king in Yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by kapelvej: 11:13am On Nov 07, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Abeg which kind tin be dis you dey call a whole monarch such name. I dont like that. Lets respect kings abeg. You can attack the people but not kings. Abeg stop it.
you have left the issue now. Why should some kings be sitting at the front and others at the back. i am pained by this arrangement. They could have made it a round table. can you not see the humiliation in this pics
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by haski: 11:14am On Nov 07, 2018
one is missing one is double remember Kano and sokoto are north western region
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 11:42am On Nov 07, 2018
DeLaRue:
Sultan & Ooni seated on the right & left of Charles. Obi of Onitsha, Emir of Kano, Oba of Benin (Isn't that him in burgundy?) sitted one row behind, as if they are junior. The Obi should be at the front too so that all 3 major groups are duly acknowledged.

I wonder how the federal govt decided that Ooni & Sultan are the most senior.

May be, I'm making too much out of this, but I doubt I am.

lool
Are u saying the Federal government arranged the sitting arrangement??

But who is that King sitting beside the Oba of Benin??
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by Horus(m): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2018
Return Our Stolen Artifacts, Oba Of Benin Tells Prince Charles

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, yesterday asked the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, to lend his voice to the call for the British empire to return all the ancient Benin artifacts that were taken by the British authorities in 1897.

Speaking at the parley the visiting British royal had with royal fathers this evening, the Benin monarch told Prince Charles that the repatriation of the artifacts would enable him establish Oba Palace Museum for the promotion of tourism in his kingdom.

“Suffice to say that Nigerians in general and Benin people in particular will be most delighted to have your royal highness throw his royal weight behind our efforts to have some of our ancient artifacts that were taken in 1897 from the Royal Court of Benin returned to Benin to establish Oba Palace Museum for the promotion of tourism in Benin City, Edo State.” he said

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8091682_artifacts_jpegc67cd18e091e6b98e24113f25e3dffd2

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8092017_artfact_jpeg3c468ddccf61bfdddeaaae7ebbe5e8ab

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8092056_newlycastedbeninbronzeworks_jpeg_jpeg1b894d158226363c2f75e27c3c3bd6e0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:20pm On Nov 07, 2018
rummmy:
Amanyanabo begins and ends in certain part of Rivers state bro... grin grin grin grin
No mind dem
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by AyakaDunukofia: 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

Culture and civilizations in the subsaharan region have always had contacts with themselves even before the colonialists. They paid tributes and taxes to themselves depending on superiority which is often defined by the military might of a kingdom, it's wealth, it's technical skills, ancientness, etc.

The Europeans didn't come to rank, they met the rankings and they observed and documented a lot during their over 500 years stay in parts of the region that will later become known as Nigeria. Benin for instance paid tribute to Ife, Eko paid to Benin, amongst others.

And your photo and its accompanying comment just exposed your desperation (you should regret going that route). That's the Obis palace and not some meeting of Nigeria monarchs.

He welcomed a visitor with whatever he has always welcomed visitors with.

No, the British came, saw and ranked based on their evaluation of each tribe's stupidity and maleability.

Lugard handover notes are still a reference point before any high profile visit. The easterners had no time for ass licking.

LUGARD'S DUAL MANDATE ON NIGERIAN TRIBES
1922...( Copied from Mathew Mbanaja"s wall)

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

HAUSA
The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

YORUBA
Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

IGBO
These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with.
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by scholes0(m): 1:27pm On Nov 07, 2018
Kayharry:
Everyone sha want his or her traditional ruler at the front.Igbo people with problem forgeting that obi is just like baale of a village

Chisos!
Re: Prince Charles Meets Nigerian Traditional Rulers by RedboneSmith(m): 1:43pm On Nov 07, 2018
So a prince, a mere prince o not even a king, comes to town and Kings of old glorious kingdoms left their palaces and journeyed long distances to take a photo with him where his seat is symbolically positioned ahead of all of them.

And the fawning monkeys we are, we are here bragging about which Kings got the seats closest to the prince.

A mere prince.

Tufia! We have chop shït.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Idoma People Welcome David Mark Today In Otukpo, Benue State(pics / Soldier Disarming An IED With His Bare Hands In Kafan Ruwa, Borno (Video) / Godday Orubebe (PDP) Accuses Jega Of Bias

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.