Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,105 members, 7,957,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:45 AM

Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' (47324 Views)

Poor State Of Benin-Auchi Federal Highway (Photos) / Hummer Crashed Into Oba Of Benin's Palace Wall, Gets Destroyed, But Not The Wall / Prince Charles Drives Classic 49 Year Old Aston Martin That Runs On White Wine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Tejiriseth(m): 9:21am On Nov 07, 2018
My broda I like the way you think. We need to be friends
ednut1:
With our so called juju the british destroyed the kingdom easily. Proof that juju is fake
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by daveP(m): 9:42am On Nov 07, 2018
GavelSlam:

Who cares?

Does Nigeria benefit from the gate takings?

May all your family fortunes be stolen and appreciated in other climes.
Hey Mr or whatever you are, don't be so insane and foolish to insult me when I never insulted anyone. What nonsense is this? Are you stupid and crazy?
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by GavelSlam: 9:48am On Nov 07, 2018
daveP:
Hey Mr or whatever you are, don't be so insane and foolish to insult me when I never insulted anyone. What nonsense is this? Are you stupid and crazy?

Shut up.
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by joyhoney(f): 9:50am On Nov 07, 2018
physise:
WHY IS THE OBA OF BENIN SITTING BEHIND A PRINCE?

ok him for sit for prince head or what

people have to sit on other chairs which is at the back ok
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by badman007(m): 9:53am On Nov 07, 2018
We don't need them. They would only serve to remind us of our horrible past.

I work at the Museum of science and industry in Manchester. Ask for exchange of their 1830 technology. One week of exhibition can change the lives of our students.

Who knows, maybe that would inspire our own space exploration. Think leaders, think!!! Wtf!
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by joyhoney(f): 9:59am On Nov 07, 2018
myettiallah:
They are all sitting slightly behind the Prince of Wales

he's the visitor

so in your house will keep your visitors at the back than how will you communicate with them
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by joyhoney(f): 10:36am On Nov 07, 2018
Born2Breed:
For those saying the artefacts are better off where they are, my prayer for you this morning is May your precious property be stolen and you will pay to see it.

Those assuming it will rot away here or be stolen. There are more artefacts that were not stolen by the British and older than the ones stolen that are still in the palace and other places. They are all intact.

Oba gha to'kpere!!!
Ma gha to'maghi vbe kpe!!!
N'Edo gha ma!!!

Ise
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by ajl: 10:58am On Nov 07, 2018
tripoli007:
Return koo return nii .. So that some unscrupulous youths ,will steal them and perhaps this time ,we will never find them again .. Abeg make the articrafts dey UK .. Instead of them to liaise with them on how to reduce or cancel visa chage for colonized countries ..

Have you taken your medication today?
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by akdjr(m): 11:02am On Nov 07, 2018
They better do!
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Freeman50(m): 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
Antichristus:

Warped logic. What is handling stolen property classed as in British Law?
Hope you ain't referring that to me
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Freeman50(m): 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
Codes151:
see how dumb we are in this country? These ppl are the parasites that we must avoid
Papi, don't quote me again.
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by tripoli007(m): 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2018
ajl:

Have you taken your medication today?

I couldn't cos you took mine and finished it ...just watching you overdoze on drugs
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Blacgzeus: 3:27pm On Nov 07, 2018
Oba of Great Benin Empire
Long may you reign.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by mbodea(m): 4:37pm On Nov 07, 2018
Igbos only have one king 'Obi of Onitsha' others are just village chairman scammers that can't talk out their clan.
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by khiaa(f): 8:09pm On Nov 07, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Where do I start from undecided

Just say what's on your mind.
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Jaqenhghar: 8:19pm On Nov 07, 2018
khiaa:

Well, we have Demos in the house now. Trumps has got to get the hell out. Hey, have you been watching the news about the thousands of
Immigrants coming to America illegally all at once? The scary part is, I live in California which shares a borderline with Mexico. Mexico tried to keep them from entering but they tore down the gate and threw rocks at the Mexican police officers so they gave up and let them in. Trump has sent the military to guard the borders in California, Arizona, and Texas. He said if the immigrants throw rocks at the soldiers they will shoot them. Speaking about the shooting, I heard about the Nigerian Army killing 45 Muslim for protesting and they got the idea from Trump saying shoot them. Trump's re-tarded azz has got to go.
That migrant thing is scary. That is no way to ho bout seeking asylum. I know Trump is a n ass but they need to be more smarter
I hear your California is a mess with the drugs and poverty
You know the Nigerian army are not exactly bright. Now you know why criminals and terrorists are having a field day.
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by khiaa(f): 6:15am On Nov 08, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
That migrant thing is scary. That is no way to ho bout seeking asylum. I know Trump is a n ass but they need to be more smarter
I hear your California is a mess with the drugs and poverty
You know the Nigerian army are not exactly bright. Now you know why criminals and terrorists are having a field day.

Yes, Cali is a mess because of all of the illegal immigrants from Mexico. sad
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Nlkay(m): 12:14am On Nov 09, 2018
TAO11:

Be deluding your self.

Go and read about the man in Benin history called Igueghae (aka Igue-Igha) and begin to have an idea of the superiority and lordship of Ife and its monarchy over and above Benin and its monarchy.
TAO11:

Be deluding your self.

Go and read about the man in Benin history called Igueghae (aka Igue-Igha) and begin to have an idea of the superiority and lordship of Ife and its monarchy over and above Benin and its monarchy.
I can see your level of historian knowledge. It's best to let sleeping dogs lye. Ask yourself these two questions - During the colonial era before the trans Atlantic slave trade, the white men saw a system here in operation. Ask yourself why places in Eko( present day Lagos) and badagry and up to porto novo where dupicted as Bight of Benin? The name Republic of Benin you hear today was as a result of the control existing in the Benin kingdom. 2. During the coronation of the Oba Ewuare nee Ogidigan, the Oba of Benin, this issue was clarified in the presence of dignitaries such as the Past and present Presidents and rulers of various countries, the Delegation from the Royal house of England, the Ooni of ife, scholars and all... It was again re-established that the Benin ruled over the present day Ile-Ife and upto porto novo. This is one of the reason the reason the Benins didn't mostly participate in the trans Atlantic slave trade due to the pronouncement by the then Oba. Matters kept coming from diverse areas to be settled at the palace but having seeing that Yorubas were ready to sell themselves for pennies, He taught it wise to make a wise pronouncement. Recall your history told you that it was only in Benin, the colonial found an organized system and an existing government already in place in western Nigeria. I agree with u on migration from Egypt but pls the Benin kingdom was already established before Ife came to light. Know your history and I will urge you to purchase the recently launched book by the Oba of Benin. Thanks
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 09, 2018
Mikeal09:

Madam, calm down. Let them answer Nigeria first na.

Lol ok sirrr
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Mikeal09: 1:58am On Nov 09, 2018
Missyford31:

Lol ok sirrr
Smiles... Ehen, Thank you Ma!
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by TAO11(f): 4:16am On Nov 09, 2018
Nlkay:
I can see your level of historian knowledge. It's best to let sleeping dogs lye. Ask yourself these two questions - During the colonial era before the trans Atlantic slave trade, the white men saw a system here in operation. Ask yourself why places in Eko( present day Lagos) and badagry and up to porto novo where dupicted as Bight of Benin? The name Republic of Benin you hear today was as a result of the control existing in the Benin kingdom. 2. During the coronation of the Oba Ewuare nee Ogidigan, the Oba of Benin, this issue was clarified in the presence of dignitaries such as the Past and present Presidents and rulers of various countries, the Delegation from the Royal house of England, the Ooni of ife, scholars and all... It was again re-established that the Benin ruled over the present day Ile-Ife and upto porto novo. This is one of the reason the reason the Benins didn't mostly participate in the trans Atlantic slave trade due to the pronouncement by the then Oba. Matters kept coming from diverse areas to be settled at the palace but having seeing that Yorubas were ready to sell themselves for pennies, He taught it wise to make a wise pronouncement. Recall your history told you that it was only in Benin, the colonial found an organized system and an existing government already in place in western Nigeria. I agree with u on migration from Egypt but pls the Benin kingdom was already established before Ife came to light. Know your history and I will urge you to purchase the recently launched book by the Oba of Benin. Thanks

1)
I'm deeply sorry bro, but I think you mixed stuffs up here. Firstly, the colonial era was not before the trans Atlantic slave trade period, it is the other way round.

Secondly, the Bight of Benin is actually a body of water (a specific stretch of the Atlantic Ocean) so named by the Europeans after the Benin Empire because the Benin Empire's Navy plies that water route more often than others for its military expeditions.

The Republic of Benin wasn't named after the Benin Empire contrary to what you think bro. The Republic of Benin formerly known as Dahomey was renamed because the name "Dahomey" does not represent every region of the country. It represented one region only namely, the former Fon Kingdom of Dahomey, at the expense of other regions.

Dahomey was renamed, to The Republic of Benin in 1975, after the body of water which the country sits on. The new name was considered fair by the stakeholders because of its neutrality as it is the name of a body of water.

In reality, the Republic of Benin has more to do with the Oyo Empire than it has anything to do with the Benin Empire (that's if it has anything to do with the Benin Empire), because the Oyo Empire is the "most significant large-scale military force" in certain region of this country. Little wonder the only two indigenous languages in the country even till today is Yoruba and Fon. I personally know a Beninoise man who confirmed to me that his ancestors are from the Oyo Empire even though he has never been to Nigeria in his life.

[You can check up all this information yourself].

2)
Regarding your point about how Oba Ewuare's public pronouncement in the presence of dignitaries (including the Ooni of Ife) wasn't challenged right there and then.

Of course you don't expect any of the present dignitaries (including the Ooni of Ife) to proceed to challenge, contradict, or engage the new Oba right there at his own coronation. These are dignitaries as you've rightly called them, and you don't expect any of them to hijack the coronation event of an Oba of Benin (or any monarch for that matter), and turn it into an entirely different thing.

The fact that they maintained decorum and civility is no evidence that they agreed with whatever the new Oba was putting forward. That is a very weak argument from you there, I think you should do better.

And your conclusion that the "Benin kingdom was already established before Ife came to light" is about the most untrue statement I have ever heard since I first understood any language.

What I will rather advice you to consider is the statement of the Oba of Benin, yes the present Oba of Benin (which contradicts your own statement here), that Oranmiyan from Ife became the first Oba of Benin. Refer to the the video link below to hear him confirm this from time "13:22 to 13:41":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvXupQwaz0

You also said that Benin didn't "mostly" participate in the Atlantic slave trade. While I think you should be more explicit regarding what you mean by "mostly" (while providing supporting evidence), you may refer to the attached screenshot below for evidence that shows that not only did they participate, they actually participated strongly and significantly.

About matters coming to the Benin palace from far and wide; again I think you should be more specific here if you really think Ife or Oyo was one of the places from where matters came to Benin for settlement. But in the mean time (while you're trying to clarify in specific terms what you mean here), consider the fact that the Oyo Empire was a contending super power in sub-Saharan Africa (with a highly organized system and an existing government) around this same time you're apparently making reference to, and it beats the imagination of any right thinking mind that such an Oyo Empire would take matters to Benin for settlement.

Could it then be Ife that you're talking of and not Oyo? If so, then I think you should be guided that the Obas of Benin "paid homage" to Ife (even till present time) and scholars on Benin history generally acknowledge this. Below is a BBC British Museum documentary on Ife and Benin bronze artifacts which confirms this somewhere from time "47:15 to 50:20"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSNMHSzbAM&t=3079s

Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Nobody: 4:24am On Nov 09, 2018
Mikeal09:

Smiles...
Ehen, Thank you Ma!

grin
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Ayobami7(m): 10:43am On Nov 13, 2018
This is my Comment
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by dingbang(m): 9:57pm On Nov 13, 2018
physise:
WHY IS THE OBA OF BENIN SITTING BEHIND A PRINCE?
how far? Abeg you screenshot those union bank questions?
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Favor99(m): 8:20am On Nov 15, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
When African man go ever get sense? All this coonery. See as dem rush to go greet white Prince. I wonder if any of them goes to visit the UK if all the dukes and princes will gather to greet them. SMH angry
Khiaa
It’s funny how it’s only on a thread about oba of Benin’s that you make this criticism.
You didn’t go derailing and accusing other kings of other states.
Was oba the only king that went to visit Prince Charles?
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Favor99(m): 8:23am On Nov 15, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
If the Oba was interested in his artifact why didnt he go address them at their parliament or something. When the prime minister came he should have also gone to make a case then too. Just saying
Edo’s have been bringing this matter up for the past 50 years plus. It’s not a new thing.
He went to prince Charles, who has influence
You expected him to fly to the UK and beg for the artifacts?
Do you know how people have been telling the British to bring back the Benin Bronzes?
So every time a British politician enters Nigeria, the oba should beg for the artifacts? That’s unreasonable. For 50-60 years?

Please don’t complain about racism or demonize whites until you learn to do away with your own tribalism
I used to think you were pro black person until I saw a few of your comments
Your tribalism is low key, but it’s still there. You’ve made other remarks in the past to
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Favor99(m): 8:35am On Nov 15, 2018
ihatebuhari:
God bless my state Edo.

Thou I hate that shitthhole called Nigeria but am so glad my Edo mum did secure a better life for us here

SilentListener:
oh your foolishness is amazing, look at the nonsense you spill. undecided you like the good life but you don't want to work towards it right? You just want to enjoyed from other people sweat? So tomorrow if the u .s start crumbling, and Nigeria start improving.you will denounced u.s.and start loving Nigeria. undecided no wonder your sisters are getting rape to death every day. In Libya, foolishness is in you peoples blood.spit.
I don’t see what drove you so bizerk about the girl’s comment that you had to post that trash.
Those girls being raped are fellow Nigerians.
May God forgive you for your hate and inhumane words.
There’s nothing that that girl posted that deserves such a savage and barbaric response

Whether your Muslim or Christian or whatever religion, there’s no excuse for the amount of hate you’ve littered this thread with
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Favor99(m): 7:45pm On Nov 15, 2018
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 15, 2018
Favor99:

I don’t see what drove you so bizerk about the girl’s comment that you had to post that trash.
Those girls being raped are fellow Nigerians.
May God forgive you for your hate and inhumane words.
There’s nothing that that girl posted that deserves such a savage and barbaric response

Whether your Muslim or Christian or whatever religion, there’s no excuse for the amount of hate you’ve littered this thread with
I see you reported my post grin grin.good Edo boy now mind your business. wink
Re: Oba Of Benin To Prince Charles: ''Return Our Stolen Artifacts'' by OyinbowithaTan(m): 10:20pm On Nov 15, 2018
If it is clear that artifacts were stolen, they should be returned.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Nigeria Shuts All International Airports To Foreign Flights / Aba Road Umuahia.(pics) / 5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.