Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,981 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija (48478 Views)

Panama Papers: Folorunsho Coker And Gwandu Listed / Pictured: Africa's Richest Woman Folorunsho Alakija Visits Lagos Slum / Folorunsho Alakija's Source Of Wealth Busted By CNN Reporter, Christian Purefoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by onila(f): 5:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
Mrs Folorunsho Alakija used to be a designer back in the day, don't know if she still is. I modeled for her Rose of Sharon label for many years and she was such an incredibly pleasant woman to work with. Yes, I'm claiming...haha!

Anyway, she went into the oil business many years back; she has an oil bloc that pulls in N157 million a day. Yes, you read right! She is the Vice Chairman of Famfa Oil and Gas limited and has emerged the richest woman in Africa according to Forbes November 2012 edition, with a net worth of $600million, which is about N94 billion.

The 61 year old former FADAN president is married and has four boys

[img]http://2.bp..com/-cBRd9XQinjM/ULSrE7s3x6I/AAAAAAABAlc/St0CjzxlBYQ/s400/gennewcov53.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ZgJ_D9MX1e8/ULSrC5wYbDI/AAAAAAABAlU/y8TEo_2MZro/s400/..0.jpg[/img]

13 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by dominique(f): 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is the first time ill be hearing of her. How about the likes of Diezani allison madueke? Which position do they carry?
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by onila(f): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
smiley
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nightshift(m): 5:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Between mid 80s and early 90s Mrs Alakija was very popular among Lagos yuppies. She was then heading 'Supreme Stitches', known for designing flashy wears for Nigerian elites like Miriam Babangida, Shina Peters and the Abiolas. In 1990 or 1991 she won the Nigerian Designer Award. I liked her first name but i never pronounced it correctly like the Yorubas. I think she used her connections to Babangidas to get into oil business. Congratulations, designer!!

3 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nightshift(m): 5:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Wearing Mrs Alakija's Supreme Stitches design amongst Nigerian elites in those days, was like wearing an Armani or Canali suits and matching it with a pair of Mauri shoes. Those were the sharpest Milan collections to put on for a Lagos party night.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by chosen04(f): 6:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
she has an oil bloc that pulls in N157 million a day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SW peeps robbing the natural resources of SS people and not contributing a kobo to their "host upkeep"

18 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by onila(f): 6:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
chosen04: she has an oil bloc that pulls in N157 million a day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SW peeps robbing the natural resources of SS people and not contributing a kobo back to the "host upkeep"
cry cry cry sad eh

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by chosen04(f): 6:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
onila: cry cry cry sad eh

VERY VERY SAD!!!!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by solomon111(m): 6:29pm On Nov 27, 2012

SW peeps robbing the natural resources of SS people and not contributing a kobo to their "host upkeep"
Na so we see am o.
Tommorrow,you will hear them asking people to leave lagos,as if it was built with their resources.

5 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by dayokanu(m): 6:38pm On Nov 27, 2012

Ifeanyi Ubah says Hi

12 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
solomon111: Na so we see am o.
Tommorrow,you will hear them asking people to leave lagos,as if it was built with their resources.

Most likely her blocs are offshore which according to the Law regarding Onshore/offshore dichotomy belongs to the FG

4 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by gbadexy(m): 6:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
You can then imagine how much northerners make from SS

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 27, 2012

odikwa serious!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by SELFWORTH: 7:25pm On Nov 27, 2012
Interesting Picture. Her face looks a different colour to her hand.

How did she manage to buy and own an oil bloc? They aren't exactly available at Tejuosho market ? Please don't be naive.

All these wealth? What can you do with it all ? You enter the world empty handed and leave empty handed .

She is only just waking up to the fact that she needs to help others. Instead of all these talking she should let her actions to help the poor DO the talking.

Not impressed . I won't exactly call her a self-made millionaire .

3 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
Nightshift: Between mid 80s and early 90s Mrs Alakija was very popular among Lagos yuppies. She was then heading 'Supreme Stitches', known for designing flashy wears for Nigerian elites like Miriam Babangida, Shina Peters and the Abiolas. In 1990 or 1991 she won the Nigerian Designer Award. I liked her first name but i never pronounced it correctly like the Yorubas. I think she used her connections to Babangidas to get into oil business. Congratulations, designer!!

I've always liked this woman. cool cool
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by mejai(m): 7:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
U try madam! Pls can I be ur gigolo and u my st louis sugar? Btw how does dis affect me frm not sleepin 2nyt?

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
God bless her. cool

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/16/world/africa/folorunso-alakija-philanthropist-nigeria/index.html

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) -- From shaking up Nigeria's fashion scene to striking it rich in the oil business, Nigerian billionaire Folorunso Alakija has tasted success in all walks of life.

The former banking executive-turned-fashion designer-turned oil magnate is one of the west African country's most accomplished businesswoman, boasting a long and successful career in several fields.

In recent years, the 61-year-old has been dedicating her time to give back and help those in need as an author and philanthropist -- in 2008, she launched the Rose of Sharon foundation, a non-governmental organization that provides for widows and orphans across Nigeria.

"We found out that widows are a stigma in this society," says Alakija. "Once they lose their husbands, the society turns their backs on them, their in-laws begin to mistreat them, they become depressed, they don't know where to turn, they don't know where their next meal is coming from."

In some parts of Nigeria, many widowed women face untold hardships as a result of traditional customs -- in many cases, if a widow doesn't have any male adult children she can lose all her husband's property, while in-laws often do not provide her with economic support, especially if she does not accept becoming an additional wife to one of her husband's brothers.

Alakija, a mother of four sons, is working hard to change such conditions, using her financial background to provide interest-free loans and scholarships.

"We try our best to bring hope back into their lives," she says, noting that so far the organization has been able "to fend for 2,751 widows and 963 widows' children, 66 orphans and actually 11 widows at university through the foundation."

Alakija says her organization's next goal is to help set up schools across Nigeria, in areas where the women would be able to work the land while their children would attend classes within walking distance.

"Where they and their children can live and grow fruits and vegetables and sell them so that they will be able to build their confidence a bit more," she says.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
It would be interesting to compile a richest women in Africa list (I.e. on something like Forbes or Fortune magazine), just to guage the sources of wealth for ladies.

Willing to bet that majority of this wealth will be inherited or shared with /sourced by husbands though. If the wealthy women lists from other continents are anything to go by anyway.

We women are not risk takers by any stretch of the imagination. This is why I will always respect Oprah and JK Rowling for breaking the mold. They really made something out of Nothing for themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by bory09(m): 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
I no go gree how a female go rich pass me. It is impossible i rather die than accept
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by manny4life(m): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
bory09: I no go gree how a female go rich pass me. It is impossible i rather die than accept

Oya, go and hug transformer grin grin grin

@Topic, to whom God has blessed..

5 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Elebiju: 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
Next......
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Mavor: 8:06pm On Nov 27, 2012

Amen ooo!!! Monkey dey work, Baboon dey chop. This country is headed for a revolution sooner than anyone thinks. Gonna make the Arab Spring look like child's play.

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by ULSHERLAN(m): 8:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
bory09: I no go gree how a female go rich pass me. It is impossible i rather die than accept
Then we are waiting for the obituary

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by shyna501: 8:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
Wot of ha husband nau? D tory neva complete o!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
I moved out of the crowd to get it right – Mrs Alakija.

Many marriages are on the rocks because many women find it difficult to combine marriage with affluence. Why has yours remained the envy of many since 1976?

Mrs: Alakija : Money has nothing to do with love. Love comes from within. Money is something you acquire along the line. Only love keeps people together. From the time that we started courting, it has been like that, and we thank God that to His glory, we’ve known one another for 40 years. I pray also that God continues to unite us. I believe that if love is the foundation of a union, God will prove Himself faithful.

Now this is for all those that turned atheist after they made some cash.. some of you slept in churches praying & fasting when things were difficult but after a while, you made it and you think you can fool God..
#God is watching! - Acidosis

You seem very busy and quite successful, but do you ever find time to go into the kitchen?

Mrs Alakija : Absolutely! Just yesterday, I still cooked beans for my church fellowship members . I always cook when my husband is in the country. I’ve had cooks for years, but there’s always a difference when you add your own personal touch. At weekends, I cook. I also cook each time he’s arriving from his trips because he always prefers to eat from my own cooking at such times. Also, we eat together. I do believe that no matter her level of success, a woman must always remember that she must not depart from her kitchen.

So, how did you venture into the oil and gas industry?

Mrs Alakiji : In the 1990s, in the course of my discussion with a friend whom I was designing clothes for, my family and I got involved in a deal to.purchase an oil field. After three years, we were allocated an oil bloc which.nobody wanted at that time because it was deep offshore, over 1,500 meters deep and very expensive to explore at that time. We were approached by Texaco late in 1996, and, after three months daily negotiation, we signed on the dotted lines. Chevron took over Texaco after a few years, but, to the glory of God, we actually stocked oil in commercial quantity, and we were told that the oil had been collecting in there for 17million years, and then we just considered ourselves very lucky. That was how FAMFA Oil was born. I and my husband and our four sons are all heavily involved in the business.
www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/i-moved-out-of-the-crowd-to-get-it-right-mrs-alakija/

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by manny4life(m): 8:12pm On Nov 27, 2012
Mavor: Amen ooo!!! Monkey dey work, Baboon dey chop. This country is headed for a revolution sooner than anyone thinks. Gonna make the Arab Spring look like child's play.

All talk and no action makes jack a loud mouth.

Revolution? Is someone that will start it. Revolution isn't coming in as long as you and I are blinded by ethnic bigotry.

8 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kudos to her sha ........ cux she reps naija .... am proud of her ......... btw dis is the same networth as that of Madonna's who is a musician "$600 million" without going into oil bizness ...... onyibo get money scatter

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2012
That's a strong black woman and a go-getter - and she isn't a feminist.... wink

That's the kind of woman I rate highly; cultured, strong, driven, and family oriented - salute! kiss

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Ejemu1: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2012
dominique: This is the first time ill be hearing of her. How about the likes of Diezani allison madueke? Which position do they carry?
Just one oil block Sure deziani will beat the record. grin
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2012
I really respect Oprah's ....... Madonna .......... Mariah Carey ........ Beyonce knowles .......... etc who made it with dia own sweat ....... dis wan na our own money oooooooooooo

4 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
JayKayMaybachz: I really respect Oprah's ....... Madonna .......... Mariah Carey ........ Beyonce knowles .......... etc who made it with dia own sweat ....... dis wan na our own money oooooooooooo

Is she a politician? - if she is, she doesn't deserve any praise for her dirty money... grin

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Wsdm: 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
dominique: This is the first time ill be hearing of her. How about the likes of Diezani allison madueke? Which position do they carry?
We should have known if they 'give a damn' to declare their assets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Buhari Commissions Air Force Drone Jonathan ‘Earlier Launched’ - PDP / Dapchi Girls: Air Force Jets Searching For Missing Students (Photos) / Photos From President Jonathan's Birthday Celebration This Morning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.