Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank (29363 Views)

Diamond Bank Introduces *426# USSD Code For Easy Banking / True Story Of Pensioner Who Was "Chased Away By Diamond Bank Manager" / Woman Loses N572,000 Pension In Her Diamond Bank Account To Fraudsters In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Uchefame(m): 10:01am On Nov 12, 2018
kennygee:
Na wa o. I could have swore diamond bank is doing well.

Honestly, I thought the bank is one of the top Banks in Nigeria.

This development has proven that good health cannot be determined through physical look.

4 Likes

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by mokset123: 10:10am On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Or you'll rather they go the way of societal general bank and co so people can wake up one day and hear that they've lost all their life savings?

Don't blame Buhari, blame the banks' management who were busy throwing investors money about like father Christmas rather than engage in proper investment banking. Their woes didn't start under Buhari.

It is just a matter of time for another job loss in the banking sector, when skybank acquired main street bank (former Afribank) after about 6months plus I know a few staffs who lost their job
Ps, can you show me a link where employees of the recently acquired Skye bank lost their jobs after being acquired by Polaris bank.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Countersam(m): 10:29am On Nov 12, 2018
DWJOBScom:
Not Diamond Bank!
Access bank can’t afford to acquire DBN

Access Bank couldn't afford Intercontinental Bank but it happened. Let me not say much....

1 Like

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by smasher1(m): 10:36am On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Or you'll rather they go the way of societal general bank and co so people can wake up one day and hear that they've lost all their life savings?

Don't blame Buhari, blame the banks' management who were busy throwing investors money about like father Christmas rather than engage in proper investment banking. Their woes didn't start under Buhari.

Ps, can you show me a link where employees of the recently acquired Skye bank lost their jobs after being acquired by Polaris bank.

You don't need a link. Banks have stopped sacking enmass since the last two years. They now drop people little by little over time. The number may end up being more than 1,000 people in a year. This is the reality since the minister of Labor Chris Ngige told them to stop this practice two years ago
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by akigbemaru: 10:36am On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Yinmu. Didn't you read where it was stated that Diamond officials were the ones that approached Access bank, cap in hand?

If dead Eco bank could acquire the almighty Oceanic bank, anything is possible.

Na only Pascal Dozie I dey pity. Watching his son run down an empire he built.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by greatman247(m): 10:37am On Nov 12, 2018
alsudan:
Buhari why? See the number of banks you have liquidated. Can't count the number of friends that lost their jobs in the banking sector alone since you became President. You can still leave that office honorably or be disgraced next year.

Shut up jor, more banks liquidated under PDP rule. Oceanic Bank, Intercontinental bank, Fin Bank, AfriBank, Standard Trust Bank, Equatorial Trust Bank, Savannah Bank, etc. I hate PDP and its supporters, they argue blindly even when it's so obvious and glaring. I lost more money and investment under useless PDP.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by nopretense: 10:37am On Nov 12, 2018
Topmaike007:
which type of thing is dis one,if access bank buy Daimond bank,I no use Daimond bank be dat again.acess bank no be bank at all...

Bank with Uba!
That bank is a silent achiever with brilliant and experienced Managers.
Ask pple dat r way conversant with the banking sector
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by nopretense: 10:38am On Nov 12, 2018
Acjohn:
If access buy them I go change bank be that, too many complaints from Access customers

Bank with Uba!
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by nopretense: 10:39am On Nov 12, 2018
Acidosis:

Instead of reading through annual reports of these organisations, Nigerians would rather sit back and rely on hearsays and public opinion. It's not by name or coziness of banking halls o.
I'm so not surprised seeing this report.

Deep and stellar analysis!

2 Likes

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by smasher1(m): 10:41am On Nov 12, 2018
Acidosis:

Instead of reading through annual reports of these organisations, Nigerians would rather sit back and rely on hearsays and public opinion. It's not by name or coziness of banking halls o.
I'm so not surprised seeing this report.

Fact.

They say that if you want to keep things hidden from a black man, put it in black and white(printed words) as he won't read it.

Nigerians are educated illiterates that can read but refuse to read.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by primedream(m): 11:04am On Nov 12, 2018
Heeey! Shut up!!!
Aquariann:
Good. Another one about to bite the dust. TSA and BVN is really exposing these Nigerian banks. Once upon a time, they were busy giving huge loans to characters like Ben Bruce and other Nigerian billionaires without collateral. After all, several government agencies had multiple bank accounts with them, so no shaking.

Sponsoring politicians was the order of the day as against giving loans to promising small and medium scale businesses whom they'll demand your left kidney and grandfather's balls as collateral in return.

Now, no more excess and free government money, Ben Bruce and co can't repay their bank loans, they are all running around like headless chickens.

After Skye bank, who would have believed Diamond bank is not stable?
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Topmaike007(m): 11:05am On Nov 12, 2018
nopretense:

Bank with Uba!
wow so what are the things required to open savings account with uba
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by darqly(m): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Yinmu. Didn't you read where it was stated that Diamond officials were the ones that approached Access bank, cap in hand?

If dead Eco bank could acquire the almighty Oceanic bank, anything is possible.

Na only Pascal Dozie I dey pity. Watching his son run down an empire he built.

Ecobank was never dead, people just look at Ecobank Nigeria and fail to realize the parent company ETI is one of Africa's biggest banks.
Oceanic was a disaster waiting to occur, anyone in financial circles could see it, even them. The only mighty thing about them was their pay, Oceanic staff acquired by Eco are some of the most ill-trained and uncouth workers in the industry.
DBN focused on the wrong strategy in my opinion and were striving to enter tier one status instead of solidifying tier two status. Access bank is a proxy GTBank, and if they don't watch it, will inherit all of GT's problems with none of the innovations.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by RemiOAjayi: 11:31am On Nov 12, 2018
kennygee:
Na wa o. I could have swore diamond bank is doing well.

That's true not all that glitters is gold
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Aquariann: 11:33am On Nov 12, 2018
darqly:

Ecobank was never dead, people just look at Ecobank Nigeria and fail to realize the parent company ETI is one of Africa's biggest banks.
Oceanic was a disaster waiting to occur, anyone in financial circles could see it, even them. The only mighty thing about them was their pay, Oceanic staff acquired by Eco are some of the most ill-trained and uncouth workers in the industry.

DBN focused on the wrong strategy in my opinion and were striving to enter tier one status instead of solidifying tier two status. Access bank is a proxy GTBank, and if they don't watch it, will inherit all of GT's problems with none of the innovations.

Lol. The dead comment wasn't supposed to be taken literally. For all their shitty services, I have two accounts with them.

Was just trying to explain to the fella I quoted it's not by packaging and pretty front desk girls.

At bolden, me thinks it's a result of inexperience in the part of Uzoma. He was an outsider to the system.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by tng(f): 11:38am On Nov 12, 2018
Yoighaman:

STB acquired UBA, don't forget that.

it was a merger, that's why the name ''UBA'' remained
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by sexiestharam(f): 11:43am On Nov 12, 2018
DWJOBScom:
Not Diamond Bank!
Access bank can’t afford to acquire DBN
You have no idea what you are talking about. Let me just not talk smiley
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by biztip: 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2018
could this be true?

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by darqly(m): 2:12pm On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Lol. The dead comment wasn't supposed to be taken literally. For all their shitty services, I have two accounts with them.

Was just trying to explain to the fella I quoted it's not by packaging and pretty front desk girls.

At bolden, me thinks it's a result of inexperience in the part of Uzoma. He was an outsider to the system.

I'm shocked to be honest, wasn't he being groomed? I would expect he had cut his teeth in management before assuming control at DBN, seeing as he did well in previous stints as ED and DMD. I believe more info will come out prior to the acquisition and we'd know the true state of things. I truly had no idea their NPLs were that high
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 12, 2018
Acjohn:
If access buy them I go change bank be that, too many complaints from Access customers

walai, no be lie you talk.
especially with this new rolled out information of N20 charge on any sort of financial transaction u carry out using access bank.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by olumide4christ: 2:52pm On Nov 12, 2018
Aquariann:

Exactly what I just mentioned, dude was in the sciences for a better part of his formative years and later went on to study something that had to do with balancing Chemical equations and reactions in the university.

Now I'm all for parents allowing their kids to choose their career path, but I also see reason with parents who pick certain course of study for their kids.

I mean, Pascal (like most Nigerian parents who owned businesses) knew and hoped that one day, Uzoma will head the company, but yet did not mentor and guide him through a particular career path. He probably believed that the guy would one day take over irrespective of what he studied after all it's his inheritance.

But I guess what is needed to be a successful CEO in today's business world goes more than a right to inheritance.

One can argue today that God is Good motors is the most successful transport company in Nigeria. That is because the founders son (who runs the company now) has always been in the scene. Probably with loads of all the ideas he implemented burning in his head back then.

Remember Ekene Dilichukwu motors? Their Toyota buses with a simple "ekene" written in small letters in a blue background. After he died, the busines died with him because his own children were interested in court cases against themselves rather than competing with GUO and GIG

I want to respond to the bolded above..

It doesn't always have to be so...your son or daughter doesn't always have to run your company after you have left the stage. GTBank is a perfect example. I worked with Babatunwa Aderinokun, the son of late Tayo Aderinokun MD of GTBANK, at a top notch property development firm some years ago. Tayo Aderinokun was alive then. Tunwa his son studied Business Administration abroad and had interests in Real Estate.
Tayo Aderinokun did not send his son to work in or head GTHomes which was the real estate subsidiary of GTBANK then. He rather sent Tunwa to our boss (his friend) to learn the ropes & be disciplined under him rather than in GTHomes where he would have been treated with kids gloves as "Oga's Son". Our boss actually said this then. I never met Tayo Aderinokun personally but this action of his made me respect him highly.
Even after Tayo Aderinokun's death, the son wasn't elevated to one of the top executives of the bank, rather the guy is doing his own business and investing in his peculiar interests. GTBANK is moving on and for me is still the best bank in this country for now!
Besides other examples given here, I was also told by a major dealer in stationery on the Island of the popular Onward paper mill which has almost folded up as a result of the way the owner's children mismanaged the company, took some loans that couldn't be serviced to the point that the paper mill would only produce if dealers deposited funds with them ahead of time.

Business owners can always hire executives to manage their interests if their children do not possess the requisite qualities.

That's my take.

4 Likes

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2018
maybachmusic:
Hmm so diamond was weak

shocked

GT and zenith for life

GT = SCAM

GTB will charge you N80 for a GTB to other bank transfer and N20 or more for GTb to GTB.

U never had or requested for a Debit Card, but u end up geting debit claimed to be card maintenance fee monthly
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2018
naijacartoon:
chai...which kind thing be this? no new generation bank to trust again be that o!

If Diamond goes, THESE TWO BANKS: - FIRST BANK AND WEMA BANK will always be likewise UNION. Both have histories.

1 Like

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Pioneer123: 3:10pm On Nov 12, 2018
[Can we pls leave the government out of these reckless attitude of some reckless spending of those who claim to own these banks pls.quote author=RTSC post=72890333]
So once, these unstable banks are swallowed up with the corresponding lose in jobs, the remaining banks will start offering loans to SMEs?
You think buhari can force them to offer loans to SMEs as opposed to creating policies that will encourage such.

Continue. All of us dey here dey look. [/quote]
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 12, 2018
freshdude99:

Lol GT is even weaker, just wait let them finish paying innoson that money. You will of GT no more

hahahhaha. LWKMD. grin grin sad sad cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by nopretense: 3:13pm On Nov 12, 2018
Topmaike007:
wow so what are the things required to open savings account with uba

A valid ID
Utility bill
Passport-size photograph
BVN

However, Leo (our virtual banker) is available on whatsapp and Facebook messenger to help you out on immediate account opening and other transactions. Thanks.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by GuyfawkesAB(m): 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2018
automatix:
bros, one of their staff once revealed to me that the bank is broke cos I was thinking of proposing a product to them...

Buhari don finished them.

You are bereft of common sense. Which Buhari finish them? Diamond has been running a savings promo for over 6 years, including their 'salary for life'. They have also been lending to thousands of businesses at high risk and doling out cash in over 8 seasons of their BET entreprenuership reality program. And several other high risk credit at the corporate level- all these summed up simply as careless and mindless banking, same as lenders like Lehman Brothers and co. The results are always the same
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by dottozil: 3:53pm On Nov 12, 2018
nopretense:

A valid ID
Utility bill
Passport-size photograph
BVN

However, Leo (our virtual banker) is available on whatsapp and Facebook messenger to help you out on immediate account opening and other transactions. Thanks.

His number pls, letme try UBA
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Aquariann: 4:05pm On Nov 12, 2018
olumide4christ:

I want to respond to the bolded above..

It doesn't always have to be so...your son or daughter doesn't always have to run your company after you have left the stage. GTBank is a perfect example. I worked with Babatunwa Adenirokun, the son of late Tayo Aderinokun MD of GTBANK, at a top notch property development firm some years ago. Tayo Aderinokun was alive then. Tunwa his son studied Business Administration abroad and had interests in Real Estate.
Tayo Aderinokun did not send his son to work in or head GTHomes which was the real estate subsidiary of GTBANK then. He rather sent Tunwa to our boss (his friend) to learn the ropes & be disciplined under him rather than in GTHomes where he would have been treated with kids gloves as "Oga's Son". Our boss actually said this then. I never met Tayo Aderinokun personally but this action of his made me respect him highly.
Even after Tayo Aderinokun's death, the son wasn't elevated to one of the top executives of the bank, rather the guy is doing his own business and investing in his peculiar interests. GTBANK is moving on and for me is still the best bank in this country for now!
Besides other examples given here, I was also told by a major dealer in stationery on the Island of the popular Onward paper mill which has almost folded up as a result of the way the owner's children mismanaged the company, took some loans that couldn't be serviced to the point that the paper mill would only produce if dealers deposited funds with them ahead of time.

Business owners can always hire executives to manage their interests if their children do not possess the requisite qualities.

That's my take.

I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by DouglasHoc(m): 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2018
freshdude99:

Lol GT is even weaker, just wait let them finish paying innoson that money. You will of GT no more

How much is GTB to pay Innoson? Some people just like baseless info. GTB declared profit over N150bn, the highest in the industry in 2017. How is Innoson going to be a problem. it appears people are just happy when banks have problems.

2 Likes

Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Yoighaman(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2018
tng:

it was a merger, that's why the name ''UBA'' remained

Merger? Acquisition? Depends on your perspective, that's why a broad term 'M&A' is used but in my opinion STB acquired UBA. Just like Access is about to acquire Diamond.

For those who didn't know before now, please make out time to read the story below. It's not meant to win an argument but to let us into what really transpired way before the STB/UBA marraige. Therein contains detail about pre and post-STB/UBA. Also about the man called Tony Elumelu.

https://nairametrics.com/corporate-stories-back-story-behind-uba-stb-merger/amp/

It's lengthy but interesting and worth the time reading, I bet you'd learn a few lessons.

Cheers.
Re: Talks On For Access Bank To Acquire Diamond Bank by Yoighaman(m): 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
are you sure about this? I thought uba is still in operation oh

The name 'UBA' was only retained.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BVN Registration For Diaspora Nigeria Banking Customers / How To Secure Agric Loans In Nigeria / I Can Make Billions Via Forex Without Sweat Sitting In My Palace – Emir Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.