Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black (79667 Views)

Igbo Church Weddings With Isiagu New Trend / The New Trend Of Bridesmaids Rocking Sneakers On A Wedding Train / The Newest Trend Of Brides Rocking Trouser-like Outfits For Their Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Legalese(m): 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2018
I'm not even bothered. I'm just wondering what our bleaching sisters would do, now that those they're tryna be like are copying them. Lost Goddesses.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by OBIPLUS(m): 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
Black is beautiful.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by PenileFitness: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
Another form of blackface.

#CheckMyProfile
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by MyExpression(m): 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2018
When Michael Jackson was cashing in on 'whiteness' was there any racial call out?!

Blacks and their poo brain...you should be elated that the world is beginning to admire your unique melanin.

#WeLikeQuarrelPassFight
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2018
xpool:

Everything to a Blackman is racism.
Our racial insecurity is sometimes self inflicted, and it exudes so much weakness.

I agree. I guess that is what Kane West meant when he said Slavery is a choice.

2 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Mulatta(m): 8:26pm On Nov 20, 2018
jaxxy:

And his nose?
Check his autopsy man
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Nuzo1(m): 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2018
emmanuelpopson:
the black race was the origin of all humans before... Adam was black... so were our ancestors... I think the era of black dominating is coming sooner than expected...

Alaye, you can't dominate if you are not creative, diplomatic, resourceful, financially and emotionally stable.

For the most part, a good percentage of black people lack these.

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Luminee(f): 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2018
Blackfishing? Seriously? Social media is really not meant for everybody.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Yonce(f): 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2018
Nuzo1:

What kind of crap is this?

Whites are blackfishing to profit from it? Then what are the intentions of millions of black people around the world bleaching their skin for? I mean, given that light skinned people are mostly given a better privilege?

I don't care about the reason white people blackfish, black people should for once keep shut and be happy that whites are beginning to openly wish they are darker.

I have no problem with whites blackfishing, the problem is that white people appropriate black culture and try to pass it off as their own. It lands them on magazine covers and people tag it revolutionary whereas black people are called ratchet or hood for doing the exact same thing.

E.g Kylie Jenner on colored braids and bam Vogue says she's a trendsetter. . Something black girls have done for years

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Nuzo1(m): 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2018
Yonce:

I have no problem with whites blackfishing, the problem is that white people appropriate black culture and try to pass it off as their own. It lands them on magazine covers and people tag it revolutionary whereas black people are called ratchet or hood for doing the exact same thing.

E.g Kylie Jenner on colored braids and bam Vogue says she's a trendsetter. . Something black girls have done for years

You said you have no problem with blackfishing, yet you go ahead to describe why you have a problem with it.

1. Kylie Jenner on colored braids = trendsetter by vogue.

2. Black Chyna on blonde wig and bleaches her skin = tendsetter by Ebony Mag or BET.

Now bro, what's the difference?

2 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Ayobami7(m): 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2018
ok
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Solomon799(m): 8:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
FOR GOD SO LOVE AFRICA THAT HE GAVE US BLACK skin
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:11pm On Nov 20, 2018
SEGLIZ:
this where we stand. the uniqueness in our blackness is just the reason they discriminate against us. since they've tried but couldn't beat to our God given endowment, the few bold ones are coming out to claim the blackness that our fellow blacks are trying to bleach out.
I'm proud to be black and would always be.
NONSENSE. You think racism has been about having dark skin? Are you joking? Until you develop the African continent you will continue to be called MONKEYS.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

I agree with you 100% on that, however, the issue of blackfishing as it is seen now goes beyond racial insults, it is about racial profiteering and exploitation. Most of the "white people" that are being accused of blackfishing are Instagram influencers and so is obvious that they do it to profit from it. So, "black people" are thinking, ok, you built your society by exploiting the strenght of our bodies, now you want to build your acceptance and bank accounts by exploiting our cultural identity and essence, the same cultural identity that you intentionally denigrated and dragged in the gutters for 100s of years.
Why should blacks care even if whites want to "exploit" blackness? Would white people care if a black person is "exploiting" whiteness? Blacks are just too insecure and sensitive.

3 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by nextstep(m): 9:19pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

I agree with you 100% on that, however, the issue of blackfishing as it is seen now goes beyond racial insults, it is about racial profiteering and exploitation. Most of the "white people" that are being accused of blackfishing are Instagram influencers and so is obvious that they do it to profit from it. So, "black people" are thinking, ok, you built your society by exploiting the strenght of our bodies, now you want to build your acceptance and bank accounts by exploiting our cultural identity and essence, the same cultural identity that you intentionally denigrated and dragged in the gutters for 100s of years.

I appreciate this comment because it highlights the main reason for the backlash. However, I'm going to play devil's advocate - not because I'm supporting blackfishing, but because I want there to be a different response from just reacting to something other people do.

Black girls have also been "building their acceptance and bank accounts" for a century by aping white features: straight hair (weave on or relaxed), skin lightening, rhinoplasty and other surgeries. People will say "well that's different because of the history of exploitation and denigration"; I understand the historical context, but we can't deny that because of white societies' denigration of black features, many many black women chose to whitefish, and they have benefited socio-culturally and economically from it.

Instead of being reactive, people of color need to empower ourselves. Slightly out of context but related: people have complained that for decades, white artists appropriated black music and benefited widely from it. Rather than bitch and complain, Michael Jackson did his best and started buying white music rights so he could benefit from it. We're also seeing the likes of JayZ and Dr. Dre transcending from being artists to owners.

Those people complaining about appropriation of black music forget of course that the very platforms that make black music even possible to hit the mainstream (the instruments, recording media, electronics, radio broadcasts, engineers, producers, distribution chain, etc) have been put in place by mostly white people. The lawyers, the So who gets "credit" for black music? Is music only about singing it? What about all the technology, law, protections, money, and systems that go into making recorded music possible?

4 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2018
naijaboiy:
They are trying to steal our identity too? grin
Haven't blacks been stealing their identity more frequently? So what's the issue?
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 20, 2018
They look better and gorgeous in the black skin
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by SEGLIZ: 9:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
Delivar:

NONSENSE. You think racism has been about having dark skin? Are you joking? Until you develop the African continent you will continue to be called MONKEYS.

are you depressed or what?

2 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:26pm On Nov 20, 2018
liyahwillie:
I'M A STRONG,BLACK,AFRICAN WOMAN....DE WHITE FOLK SHOULD FORK TO HELL...ASK DE WHITE BAES WHY THEY LOVE AFRICAN MEN....DE KARDASIANS CAN GIVE U DE REASON....MTCHEW DE WHITE FOLK LOVE OUR COLOUR AND RACE,THEY JUST CANT HELP IT.
#PROUDLY AFRICAN
Who told you white women love African men? Just because Kim married Kanye and just a few interracial couples? Sorry to inform you, the number of white women who don't want black males is still FAR higher than the numbers who want black males.

If whites actually love your colour and race then there wouldn't have been racism.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Yonce(f): 9:26pm On Nov 20, 2018
Nuzo1:

You said you have no problem with blackfishing, yet you go ahead to describe why you have a problem with it.

1. Kylie Jenner on colored braids = trendsetter by vogue.

2. Black Chyna on blonde wig and bleaches her skin = tendsetter by Ebony Mag or BET.

Now bro, what's the difference?

Yes they can take inspiration from our culture but not appropriate it as theirs and call it their own but shame/ignore black girls for it.

That is the problem. . .give due respect to the race that inspired you.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:30pm On Nov 20, 2018
Roadto2019:

What those whites are doing is wrong. They didn't participate in the struggles or the racism melted out to us but want to use our skin for their purpose.
Africans refused to develop themselves which resulted to racism. If you don't want racism develop African continent and earn respect.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Delivar(m): 9:32pm On Nov 20, 2018
OMEGA009:
Blacks have been bleaching their skin to pass off as who they aren’t since 1900 and now we’re mad cos d shoe is on the other foot? Mtcheeew
Don't mind them. Everything offends blacks.

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2018
Delivar:

exactly.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by stealthtiger(m): 9:41pm On Nov 20, 2018
cescky:

Let them keep getting angry..

The same way the word nigger was used to degrade a black man.. musicians removed the sting from it...and it's cool to call your guy nigga...even white call them selves "nigga"

My point is if you abuse me..it will only pain me if I pay attention to you..if I ignore you ud get tired and let me be...

What we give attention to expands
A white dude in the US can't still call a black dude ‘nigga‘. It's forbidden.
Even Eminem hasn't used the word in any of his songs.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Duru1(m): 9:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

Blackfishing explained
Various European and American social media influencers have been accused of practising a new-age form of blackface.
Swedish teen Emma Hallberg is among the many Instagram users who have been accused of starting and unashamedly taking part in a new phenomenon that has been dubbed “blackfishing” or “n****rfishing.”

Swedish teen Emma Hallberg has been accused of presenting herself as a racially ambiguous women to win more social media followers.

What is blackfishing?
Blackfishing refers to the practice of a white person presenting themselves as mixed race or racially ambiguous on social media to pander to a particular aesthetic, and therefore gaining more followers.

It has been viewed as a modern incarnation of blackface – the theatrical makeup used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. It is and has been considered a racially insensitive representation of blackness by black people all over the world.

There is no confirmation about who the first culprit of the new wave is or when they were identified but more social media users have been outed as being guilty of this practice in recent days.

The girls in the photos posted and shared numerous times online are significantly darker than they were in old photos, which have been dug up and used as a comparison.

Some of the girls in the photos can also be seen sporting traditionally black hairstyles such as dreadlocks and braids – a practice that has often been dubbed cultural appropriation.

Photos of these girls have been reposted numerous times on accounts aimed at celebrating black women and their hairstyles or makeup looks.

According to their followers, they have never corrected these pages for sharing their images and labelling them black women.

Fans have expressed their disappointment since finding out that their “faves” are not what they have been presenting themselves as. Some even reached out to Hallberg to ask her about her true ethnic background.

Hallberg has denied presenting herself as anything other than white Swedish teen Emma Hallberg has been accused of presenting herself as a racially ambiguous women to win more social media followers.and has claimed the before and after photos of her were merely taken during different times of the year.

When quizzed about her complexion by Buzzfeed, Hallberg attributed her look to “a deep tan naturally from the sun”.

The general consensus about the phenomenon seems to be disappointment in those found guilty of this practice, as many feel they are commodifying blackness as a means of personal gain.

This is due to the fact that the girls identified in the pictures are influencers and performers and earn a living from their appearances and social media feeds.

In addition, they are cashing in on sporting features that naturally occur among black women but are not met with the same level of admiration and enthusiasm.

While there are a few who have come to Hallberg’s defence, the overall consensus is she was wrong and she either needs to stop or face the backlash of a boycott on her social media accounts.

https://citizen.co.za/news/news-eish/2036408/blackfishing-explained/

Forward

This is another idiotic trend by the liberals and left wing stiffs to perpetuate political tools. There is no human being termed White of Black. It is display stark idiocy to define a human being in terms of color. Color cannot be a human being.

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by adecz: 10:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
If whites are not complaining about
blacks bleaching & fixing weave on &
Brazilian hair, to look white,

Why are blacks angry at whites trying
to look black?

You nigga arses should be glad that
someone wants to look like you.

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 10:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Duru1:

This is another idiotic trend by the liberals and left wing stiffs to perpetuate political tools. There is no human being termed White of Black. It is display stark idiocy to define a human being in terms of color. Color cannot be a human being.

I personally do not subscribe to such tags, that is why I have put every mention of such in quotes. I use them only for contextual purpose and always with a double quote.
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by VULCAN(m): 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2018
A most brilliant analysis. Kudos

booblacain:

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by blank(f): 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

"black people" are angry about it because this was the same practice used by "white people" to exploite them during the slave trade era.

How about black people bleaching their skin and using weapons to look more mixed race or white?
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by kongolo(m): 10:18pm On Nov 20, 2018
Delivar:

NONSENSE. You think racism has been about having dark skin? Are you joking? Until you develop the African continent you will continue to be called MONKEYS
Racism is about a person/people's physical features and culture/s.
Black Africa and Africans can become the most highly evolved people in the world and other races will still talk shiit about us.I suggest we live our lives however we want and ignore our detractors

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by kongolo(m): 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
Duru1:

LOL!! such naivete...
I hope you come face to face with a group of skinheads someday in a country with a majority white population and preach this kumbaya bullshiit to them

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ladies That Slayed While Wearing A Kimono / What Type Of Perfume Do You Use? / These Photos Of A 7-year-old Nigerian Model Have Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.