Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? (17788 Views)

Top 10 Best Nigerian Songs Released In March 2024 (afrobeats/amapiano) / Wizkid - Money & Love (Official Music Video) / Top 10 Hottest Nigerian Songs Released In July 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by gidimafia: 8:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
Heeyaahhh..this OP is pained...but op there are other genre of songs now..must u listen to popular demand??...evrrybdy wanna make fp..
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by aseyi24: 8:31pm On Nov 21, 2018
All of them are noise makers, they don't know anything about music , ask them to read music notation they no Sabi, the only man I still rept na Fela anikulapo.

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by fredylee: 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2018
YRNs:
First of all, there something called "Music Genre". There's hip-hop, jazz, Christian and the rest of them...

Now, hip-hop is mostly about those 3 things you mentioned plus more..

You don't expect a Christian song to be all about sex, money & girls...

Secondly, most artiste sing about what people want to hear.. they sing songs that are club/event worthy... do you think that a DJ will play your song in a club, wedding, birthday, etc. if it's about the current crisis happening in the country?

Most American hip-hop songs today are about money, sex, girls, drugs, weed, gangs, etc.

This is a global thing.. it's not only in Africa... i don't listen to Asian songs but I can bet that they still sing about those 3 things...

The problem is even how these songs are rendered. No depth, just gbam gbam! The singers seem to lack originality, and this is widespread. They can't tell a story. Unfortunately, 'we' just buy, and waka dey go, encouraging and promoting mediocrity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Blonchilli(m): 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:
When will Nigerian Songs Stop being Just about Money and Sex?

This is a question I've been asking Nigerians .
When Kiss Daniel released "One Ticket" featuring Davido ,even without listening to it I knew that it'll be just about love,sex and money - truly my thoughts were right and confirmed after I listened to the song yesterday.

Is it that songs that don't promote sex,gold digging ,drugs and love don't/can't sell or make waves in Nigeria ? Because this is getting beyond control.
When the current government riggged the OSUN gubernatorial election which Davido's uncle was a participant I thought henceforth he'll be dishing out only motivational,sensible and soul melting songs . Songs that can criticize bad governance and abuse of power but no - It must be love,sex and money.

In America , any little issue is taken to heart by their singers and celebrities but in Africa , Nigeria precisely how many celebrities even condemned police/SARS brutality in their songs? None.

Most major Nigerian hits of the year ranging from Assurance ,Soco,Fake Love,Nwababy,Aza,Fever,Unleash and One Ticket are focus on three things - Love,Money and sex ,as usual

Baby baby baby ,my body - is this all Nigerian artists know how to offer ?

Burna Boy's Ye is what I can classify as a mature and sensible vibe . Before you come for my head, I'm a huge fan of Wizkid right from 2012.

Nigerian artists are hoping to win Grammys and Emmys , the thing is who's going to give them Grammys with these wack songs ?

From a concerned Nigerian.
I sincerely hope they see this.

Who have time for their trash. I'm jamming to Imagine Dragons latest album Origins, Jon Belion latest album and Beth Thornton boundaries. Funny enough these songs speaks to one soul, not the trash here we call artist. Burna boy is trying sha. Avicci, John Legend and Sia is bae

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Blonchilli(m): 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2018
YRNs:
First of all, there something called "Music Genre". There's hip-hop, jazz, Christian and the rest of them...

Now, hip-hop is mostly about those 3 things you mentioned plus more..

You don't expect a Christian song to be all about sex, money & girls...

Secondly, most artiste sing about what people want to hear.. they sing songs that are club/event worthy... do you think that a DJ will play your song in a club, wedding, birthday, etc. if it's about the current crisis happening in the country?

Most American hip-hop songs today are about money, sex, girls, drugs, weed, gangs, etc.

This is a global thing.. it's not only in Africa... i don't listen to Asian songs but I can bet that they still sing about those 3 things...
Bro I've listened to a dozen Hip Hop track from Tupac Shakur to Eminem to Lil Wayne and Big Sean, yes they're Hip Hop and all but even most times their songs tells stories that speaks to my soul bro. Tupac California or shoot em up, Eminem's little soldier, Big Sean's song about being blessed, can't remember the tittle now talked about a lot of things other than money, sex and weed. They talked about life and some of Eminem's song makes me sit down and think what life's about. Don't even mention P Diddy or Jay Z forever young. So don't defend our trashy artists like this joor

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by YRNs(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
Blonchilli:

Bro I've listened to a dozen Hip Hop track from Tupac Shakur to Eminem to Lil Wayne and Big Sean, yes they're Hip Hop and all but even most times their songs tells stories that speaks to my soul bro. Tupac California or shoot em up, Eminem's little soldier, Big Sean's song about being blessed, can't remember the tittle now talked about a lot of things other than money, sex and weed. They talked about life and some of Eminem's song makes me sit down and think what life's about. Don't even mention P Diddy or Jay Z forever young. So don't defend our trashy artists like this joor

That was before... Go & listen to P Diddy, Jay Z & Eminem's song now.. Even Kendrick & J Cole do talk about sex & drugs in their songs.

You even mentioned Lil Wayne in your post.. Someone who uses the word fuxk more times than i can count. He talks about purple syrup (codine) etc..

The music industry is changing...
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by cartermatic(m): 9:38pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

When Kiss Daniel released "One Ticket" featuring Davido ,even without listening to it I knew that it'll be just about love,sex and money - truly my thoughts were right and confirmed after I listened to the song yesterday.

Is it that songs that don't promote sex,gold digging ,drugs and love don't/can't sell or make waves in Nigeria ? Because this is getting beyond control.
When the current government riggged the OSUN gubernatorial election which Davido's uncle was a participant I thought henceforth he'll be dishing out only motivational,sensible and soul melting songs . Songs that can criticize bad governance and abuse of power but no - It must be love,sex and money.

In America , any little issue is taken to heart by their singers and celebrities but in Africa , Nigeria precisely how many celebrities even condemned police/SARS brutality in their songs? None.

Most major Nigerian hits of the year ranging from Assurance ,Soco,Fake Love,Nwababy,Aza,Fever,Unleash and One Ticket are focus on three things - Love,Money and sex ,as usual

Burna Boy's Ye is what I can classify as a mature and sensible vibe . Before you come for my head, I'm a huge fan of Wizkid right from 2012.

Nigerian artists are hoping to win Grammys and Emmys , the thing is who's going to give them Grammys with these wack songs ?

Not only drug, love and sex. It's mostly about women too
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

i think they are also gingering those yahoo and ritualist,
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by SirBunky85(m): 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2018
simple250:
That is what the youth in Nigeria are demanding for....they want to hear sweet vibe. IF WE NOR MAKE MONEY WATIN GAIN kiss

Even Two Face self don join them tongue

Amaka disappoint me cheesy
lol.ironically, it's still a banger for no meaning
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by kense88: 10:55pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

But American and Asian singers don't focus mostly on those things ?

Or life revolves around them only in Africa ?
Songs like heal the world(michael jackson), hero(maria carey), usa for africa(michael and lionel richie), earth song(michael jackson) e.t.c. We have very very few real talents. Others are noise makers

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by usebog: 11:18pm On Nov 21, 2018
Till they start to appreciate Buena boy He is the 1 of the best out there
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by pushking(m): 11:32pm On Nov 21, 2018
not all Nigerian songs but I'll say they're copying their American role models
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Ugosample(m): 12:21am On Nov 22, 2018
deebrain:
People prefer the craze and the dance rather than really good music.

We have many songs that make sense -- Check out Cohbams "one hit", John Ogar's " Uncle Suru", most of Dare's, Modenine, and many conscious music artists songs.... The average youth is not interested in these so these brilliant artists don't get the boom expected.

Even from little kids... They will try to memorize word for word, Olamide's "WO" than even a "Pray for me" by Art Alade. It's a pity.

Till we rediscover our values, Op, this trend will continue.
What makes sense to you could be senseless to others

that's why we all have different tastes in music

some people like up tempo songs, others like the slow one's

at the end of the day, we will all listen to music we like and appeal to us
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by johnhood(m): 12:25am On Nov 22, 2018
I have always wondered about this.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Ugosample(m): 12:28am On Nov 22, 2018
Blonchilli:

wizkid sang Ojuelegba and it was good

David sang Ekuro and it was also good

The number one rule in business is to SELL WHAT PEOPLE WANT

Nigerians are suffering, going through a whole lot, the "i made it despite all the challenges " song prevalent in NIGERIA speaks to their sub conscious mind in ways that sia, John legend and Avicii can never do

Nigerians want there songs, and the artistes gives it to them

the ones fooling themselves singing other things and what some of you call "make sense " songs, where are they?

And our artistes are not "trashy"

everywhere I go in this world, you hear naija music

even in Burkina, a seven year old boy gsve me the names of 10 Nigerian songs that he really likes

a seven years old.

And even on radio, you heat our songs from time to time cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Gbagbuo247: 3:51am On Nov 22, 2018
You better go and find good Christian songs and download, don't come here and make necessary noise.

How can you expect motivation from their songs which they all wrote under the influence of weeds and drugs?

Read your Bible, it have all the realistic things you need. Need I remind you that Pslam of David are all songs, chose one chapter and enter studio.

Enough said.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Slimlord(m): 5:44am On Nov 22, 2018
Jaynom029:
Wat about Victor AD #wetin we gain
na still money
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Glink2018(m): 5:46am On Nov 22, 2018
When you stop buying it ...
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by dhabrite(m): 6:02am On Nov 22, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

Of course they would never see this crap. Your even a bad critic. Motivational crap or what are you saying lol. I know it's for the likes, at least you got quite a few. Sign up with Nigeria's best betting platform with amazing benefits. link is in my signature
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Psalm77(m): 10:02am On Nov 22, 2018
Well it's true life revolves round this whole sontin Buh to burnaboy though
https:///2FAHqwm
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Abcruz(m): 12:59am On Nov 24, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

Without mincing words, I can categorically tell you that they promote those songs on the foundation of lust, sex and money in order to capture the soul of the simple minded who listens to them, into thinking and behaving that their life revolve around these decadence of debauchery...

The battle of life is a battle of the mind.
Man is a spirit living in an earthly suit called flesh.
Through the senses you unconsciously download good or evil into your spirit being by the things you hear, see and feel.

Celebrities are heavily paid because they serve as the medium to feed your spirit with junks, influence your will, rule your emotions and to bring men into the captivity of the mind.

and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”--John 8:32

Be selective of what you see, hear and read. Do not be a victim to the vices of Devil.

Consider carefully what you hear...--mark 4:24

Accept Jesus with your whole heart and soul, and Incline your ears to the reproves of life for your own good and for the good of the children after you.!!!"
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by tck2000(m): 7:35pm On Jan 11, 2020
Youngbbt:
because them have nothing else to say

but respect to burna boy.........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures: Azonto Vs Etighi Dance! Which Is Best And Why? / Music: Zlatan – Unripe Pawpaw (mp3) / D'banj Ft Big Sean & Snoop Lion - Blame It On The Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.