Stats: 3,152,173 members, 7,815,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? (17789 Views)

Top 10 Best Nigerian Songs Released In March 2024 (afrobeats/amapiano) / Wizkid - Money & Love (Official Music Video) / Top 10 Hottest Nigerian Songs Released In July 2018 (2) (3) (4)

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Seandisputed(m): 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2018
You no go like enter studio
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Adiwana: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

But American and Asian singers don't focus mostly on those things ?

Or life revolves around them only in Africa ?

Wtf you talking about??Hiphop for example even goes beyond that to likes of violence,power,lean,fame etc.Is that not American?? And does Ed sheran songs not about love?Dude you must be living under a rock or something

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2018
BrymO is breathtaking. But is he making any wave?

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by GMbuharii: 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2018
Abeg,tell Flavour.

The worst-case was then Psquare and Akon's "....if you see this lady,tell am say,she must chop my money.....",crap!

Kizz Daniel ke,abeg the guy is gud

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Emmacolinho(m): 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:
When will Nigerian Songs Stop being Just about Money and Sex?

This is a question I've been asking Nigerians .
When Kiss Daniel released "One Ticket" featuring Davido ,even without listening to it I knew that it'll be just about love,sex and money - truly my thoughts were right and confirmed after I listened to the song yesterday.

Is it that songs that don't promote sex,gold digging ,drugs and love don't/can't sell or make waves in Nigeria ? Because this is getting beyond control.
When the current government riggged the OSUN gubernatorial election which Davido's uncle was a participant I thought henceforth he'll be dishing out only motivational,sensible and soul melting songs . Songs that can criticize bad governance and abuse of power but no - It must be love,sex and money.
Good morning!!! Hope you had a safe trip? I know you have you listened to"This is Nigeria and Child of the world by Falz"

In America , any little issue is taken to heart by their singers and celebrities but in Africa , Nigeria precisely how many celebrities even condemned police/SARS brutality in their songs? None.

Most major Nigerian hits of the year ranging from Assurance ,Soco,Fake Love,Nwababy,Aza,Fever,Unleash and One Ticket are focus on three things - Love,Money and sex ,as usual

Baby baby baby ,my body - is this all Nigerian artists know how to offer ?

Burna Boy's Ye is what I can classify as a mature and sensible vibe . Before you come for my head, I'm a huge fan of Wizkid right from 2012.

Nigerian artists are hoping to win Grammys and Emmys , the thing is who's going to give them Grammys with these wack songs ?

From a concerned Nigerian.
I sincerely hope they see this.

Good morning!!! Hope you had a safe trip? I know you have you listened to"This is Nigeria and Child of the world by Falz"
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Ryocaj(m): 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
That's y I listen 2 rap.. op listen 2 hardcore Nigerian Rap.. D likes of ShowDemCamp, Illbliss, Vector, Jesse Jagz, MI,Black Magic, Terry Apala,... rarely sing abt ass n slay queens... u can also listen 2 Boj, Burna Boy,Odunsi, Johnny Drille , Dice Aisles.. they make gud music..
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
You're the one listening to them. If you want to listen to different themes, change the artists you listen to. Wizkid, Davido, Olamide, etc are inspired by sex and money, so most of their songs revolve around these themes.
Have you bothered to listen to MI, Falz, Adekunle Gold, Burna Boy, Brymo, Asa, Timi Dakolo and other singers with a different message? An artist can only tell the story he/she wants to tell. It's up to you to decide what/who you want to listen to.
so true. We have the freedo to choose the songs we want to listen to. Anytime i dey a channel and i see say na yama yama song dem dey sing i easily change d channel. If i want to buy a music cd or download i go for d ones i like.

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2018
What pains me the most is the corruption of Afrobeats by these wannabe musicians. Only Wizkid and Burna boy come close.

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by falcon01: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

When Kiss Daniel released "One Ticket" featuring Davido ,even without listening to it I knew that it'll be just about love,sex and money - truly my thoughts were right and confirmed after I listened to the song yesterday.

Is it that songs that don't promote sex,gold digging ,drugs and love don't/can't sell or make waves in Nigeria ? Because this is getting beyond control.
When the current government riggged the OSUN gubernatorial election which Davido's uncle was a participant I thought henceforth he'll be dishing out only motivational,sensible and soul melting songs . Songs that can criticize bad governance and abuse of power but no - It must be love,sex and money.

In America , any little issue is taken to heart by their singers and celebrities but in Africa , Nigeria precisely how many celebrities even condemned police/SARS brutality in their songs? None.

Most major Nigerian hits of the year ranging from Assurance ,Soco,Fake Love,Nwababy,Aza,Fever,Unleash and One Ticket are focus on three things - Love,Money and sex ,as usual

Burna Boy's Ye is what I can classify as a mature and sensible vibe . Before you come for my head, I'm a huge fan of Wizkid right from 2012.

Nigerian artists are hoping to win Grammys and Emmys , the thing is who's going to give them Grammys with these wack songs ?

when we ignore them and listen to our traditional musics
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Omojolaray(m): 3:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
I've you listened to raysteve?
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
Ryocaj:
That's y I listen 2 rap.. op listen 2 hardcore Nigerian Rap.. D likes of ShowDemCamp, Illbliss, Vector, Jesse Jagz, MI,Black Magic, Terry Apala,... rarely sing abt ass n slay queens... u can also listen 2 Boj, Burna Boy,Odunsi, Johnny Drille , Dice Aisles.. they make gud music..
i havent listened to these ones u listed but dat johnny drille ehn.. D guy dey try. His songs are not noisy and disjointed like most naija songs.its like dat guy learnt his trade abroad.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by GMbuharii: 3:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
Omojolaray:
I've you listened to raysteve?
What is this?
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Hdayo1(m): 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
weed and drinks...
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

There are Nigerian singers and even rappers that have meaningful songs but you guys just won't listen to them. They are even too many to name.

Rapper ,Boogey once asked on Facebook "If the music is wack,how did it blow up?''- it blew up because y'all made it blow up.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
SAI atiku 2019
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by nextstep(m): 3:30pm On Nov 21, 2018
The same day when songs about money, sex, drugs, guns stop reigning in the US.

But going further, birds tweet about sex; frogs croak about sex; roosters crow about sex. It's nature, so please calm down grin grin

Here's a short selection from 70's, 80's, 90's spanning Rock, Pop, Grunge, Soul:

"Rock with you" - MJJ
"Ring my Bell" - Anita word
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" - Def Leopard
"Do me" - BBD
"Bump N' Grind" - R. Kelly
"Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana
"Love come Down" - Evelyn Champagne King
"Let's Get it On" - Marvin Gaye
"Use Me" - Bill Withers
"Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones
"The Lemon Song" - Led Zeppelin
"Light My Fire" - The Doors
"You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC
"I'm Your Baby Tonight" - Whitney Houston
"Secret Garden" - Quincy Jones

and for some from 50's:
"60 Minute Man" - The Dominoes
"Mother Fuyer" - Dirty Red
"Let Me Bang Your Box" - The Toppers
"I Like My Baby's Pudding" - Wynonie Harris

And the list goes on and on and on.

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 21, 2018
That jargons called music will never stop as long as the morons who listens to them or buys them still exists.

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Sgwash: 3:33pm On Nov 21, 2018
nairalandbuzz:
So we plenty for there... others should also signify...

I rarely listen to Nigerian songs. Always loud, noisy, sends no message across... Music supposed to be the food for the soul, Naija songs don't do it for me...

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by 9inches(m): 3:42pm On Nov 21, 2018
xcelentattitude:

But tomorrow never ends.
Nah
Till Jesus Comes
You know the deal nah.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by djoey89: 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2018
oga, there are different genre of music like one poster said... it is just like going to canteen that sells only beans to shout you want rice, when you can go to another canteen. pop is big just like trap is big in america, you migos, lil pump mumblinh away, I either follow the trend or stick to the kendrick and the j cole. I can say sure some of the song lack content but it apeals to people. do your song with content and market and sell.. ma brother naija hard......
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Laurene: 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2018
omooba969:
Sex sells. smiley

Pussy, Money, Weed - Lil Wayne grin
i swear I love her like...
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by mozona(m): 3:58pm On Nov 21, 2018
they have a targeted audience and they are students. meself tire for there songs reason i listen to foreign music more.

i believe artist like africa china and blackface could not cope with this trend now reason they cant sing again cos who is going listen
to them and how will they make their money, even our govt will frown to their kind of song

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by optimusprime2(m): 3:58pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

Brov,

The entertainment industry is about popular demand, basically if 80% of the people want something, you give it to them- otherwise, you won't sell and you won't be relevant.

So if your motive as an artiste is to make profit, put food on the table, appeal to a huge fan base and remain relevant in the industry....
Then you must go by popular demand.
But if your aim is to preach the gospel, or inspire sense as an artiste then you know the drill.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by mechanics(m): 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2018
The truth is if they don't sing about love or sex, they won't make more money, because they will think that's what Nigerians want.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by MexManuel(m): 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2018
Falz is doing something different.
It is not always about love, sex and money.
check out This Is Nigeria smiley

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by nairalandbuzz(m): 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
Sgwash:

I rarely listen to Nigerian songs. Always loud, noisy, sends no message across... Music supposed to be the food for the soul, Naija songs don't do it for me...

That is why I mostly do oldies now... have them uploaded on my Google Music and can connect anywhere... The ones I dont have, i get on youtube...

What they sing now is trash...

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by deebrain(m): 4:11pm On Nov 21, 2018
People prefer the craze and the dance rather than really good music.

We have many songs that make sense -- Check out Cohbams "one hit", John Ogar's " Uncle Suru", most of Dare's, Modenine, and many conscious music artists songs.... The average youth is not interested in these so these brilliant artists don't get the boom expected.

Even from little kids... They will try to memorize word for word, Olamide's "WO" than even a "Pray for me" by Art Alade. It's a pity.

Till we rediscover our values, Op, this trend will continue.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Horus(m): 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2018

The trend will stop only when you will stop buying songs that only talk about Money and Sex

Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by adebaba5: 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
when nigerians start craving for something else.
Sing about anything outside those things u mentioned and see how you be the only one listening to ur music
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by adebaba5: 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
when nigerians start craving for something else.
Sing about anything outside those things u mentioned and see how you'll be the only one listening to ur music
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by Neddyned(m): 4:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
This is a constructive criticism, actually I wish they can read your write up.
Re: When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love? by deebrownneymar: 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
Fadedvoiced:

When folks like you start to patronize proper songs.

Music: Zlatan – Unripe Pawpaw (mp3) / D'banj Ft Big Sean & Snoop Lion - Blame It On The Money / The Oleku Battle :: Battle Of Who Killed It. Vector Or Iceprince

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117