Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,904 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis (31923 Views)

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis / Hijab Controversy: UI School Board Retains Dress Code / University Of Ibadan International School Hijab Ban An Invitation To Chaos-MURIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by princfred(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2018
I always tell Yorubas that when their fellow Yoruba brothers who are Muslims will deal with the rest will come but many call it fear-mongering. Muslims have never been peaceful with others when they have enough power and population. They can only lay low with pretense until then. Yoruba christians keep naively claiming "we are one" until...... One with demons. Hope they go wise before it's too late. Islam/Islamists is/are intolerant, anti non-sharia and not even peacefully one with themselves talk less with others.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by princfred(m): 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2018
herkeem:
The International School Ibadan (ISI) and the Hijab Ban.

ISI is a secondary school under the control of the management of University of Ibadan. The school has been in the news in the last few days for its refusal to allow willing female Muslim students use Hijab on their uniform. The situation has degenerated to the extent that the Muslim students were shut out of the school among other unwarranted actions of the school as represented by the Principal, one Mrs Phebean Olowe.

I have read and listened to different opinions on the development and I am not sorry for the positions I take on the matter. Before I conclude with my positions however, I have a few questions for the Principal in question as well as anyone with position same as or similar to that of the school management:

1. Does the wearing of Hijab by the willing female Muslim students portend any danger/evil for their colleagues (who don't), the school or anyone for that matter?

2. Is it against the law of the land for the students of such a 'public' school to wear Hijab?

3. Does their observance of that aspect of their constitutional rights rub or deny anyone of his?

If the genuine answers to the above questions are NO, then I am of the opinion that the assertion that the school's reactions are borne out of hatred for Islam and the Muslims must be very true and this has to stop and stop NOW.

And for those who might be asking, does their not wearing Hijab portend any danger? Yes, it does and contrary to the opinions of those that know not, not wearing Hijab makes female muslims less Muslims because it's not a flexible commandment. If your wish is really not to make them non-Muslims, let them use what makes them the Muslims that they are.

I call on all the concerned stakeholders and well meaning people of the society to intervene in good time to allow our female Muslim students join their colleagues without any further victimization, molestation, discrimination or disdainful treatment of any kind.

Leyin aponle, abuku lo Ku o........... Tori a ko le wa sa fun keke lo kolu moto.....

Adesanjo Oyejide.

The answer is not "No" because -
Hijab has been used to carry out suicide bombings

Majority of the suicide bombers cover themselves with hijab, including boys because when they cover themselves you can't know if they are boys or girls, they put the bombs under the hijab

Muslims have been using this hijabs to terrorize we non Muslims. Enough is enough
IslamaBad
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by strenghtt: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2018
waali:
So to avoid dividing the children, the Muslim students should now dress in a way that's acceptable in the Christian faith and abandon their own right? Nobody is forcing anyone to wear Hijab but for those that want, it's their right (since they have the right to choose the faith to follow).

You can't come and tell me not to dress in an Islamic way and I agree then end up dressing like a Christian.

Is wearing pant a christian way of dressing? just asking o! or what is your definition of Christian way of dressing?
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by princfred(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2018
ofwest47:
What is wrong in young female students wearing small scarfs called hijab and dressing well in their school uniforms without exposing part of their bodies to those culprits who have been forcing them to illegal sex operations. Till today, the catholic nuns still wear their scarfs called tithes any where you find them in the public but today the so called new generation churches care less about female dressing that is why you see female church attendants today go churches in trousers and leaving their heads open weaved with Brazilian goats skin and after their church services are kidnapped and forced for sex relation.
Muslim prostitutes wear hijab.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by princfred(m): 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
mutvy:
In Christianity, following what the bible says is by choice. Christians can go to churches in mini skirts,twerk in the church,drink alcohol ,lie in the name of God and scam one another in the named of tithe.
In Christianity, everything goes.Hijab is a right of Muslim women,ladies and girls and this is allowed even in Western world.
Muslims are awakening and our right has come to stay.
The earlier the enemies of Islam realise this the better.
Do people go to school to pursue religious costume?
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 22, 2018
herkeem:

Last Sunday (18/11/2018), I attended the Grand Finale of the 10 years' anniversary of the pre-eminent Muslim organisation in the South-Western part of Nigeria (Muslims of South West Nigeria - better known as MUSWEN). In attendance was - among others - His Excellency, Governor Abiola Ajimobi. Not known publicly as the most devoted of Muslims - it is fair to say His Excellency doesn't carry his Muslim badge on the forehead - Professor Dawud Noibi, Executive Secretary of MUSWEN stepped forward just ahead of the Governor's speech to intimate the audience of how forward-looking His Excellency had been in terms of relations with Muslims of Oyo State.

This Governor who is not 'in your face' with his Islam would appear one of the best-ever in the history of the State as far as creating enabling environment for Muslims (and Muslim pupils) to practice their faith is concerned. Among the many encomiums poured on him (and Professor Dawud Olatokunbo Noibi does not praise people cheaply) is the fiat with which he pronounced the permissibility of the hijab on school uniforms in Oyo State. A settled matter as far as Oyo State is concerned.
Ajimobi's daughters do not wear hijab. Don't even counter this cos I know, pictures attached. There goes your champion. Hypocrisy No1.

herkeem:

Hijab is compulsory for all Muslim girls once they attain the age of puberty - which I understand can be from as young as the age of 11 years.
Princess of Saudi Arabia, Ameerah does not wear hijab. O ye that are more catholic than the Pope.

herkeem:

The argument from non-Muslims is that those who go to Celestial Church of Christ, for instance, would equally ask to be allowed to wear their Sultana. Apologies to my Christian friends, but this is a faulty comparison or analogy. Hijab is compulsory for Muslim girls once they are in an environment in which they can be seen by non-family; the Sultana is not compulsory - at least not outside the church. You can extend this argument to all other faiths - including those who follow the African Traditional Religion.
And you believe you are in a position to tell what is compulsory or not for other religions? How hypocritical can you get?

herkeem:
What about the argument that Muslims who wish for their children to wear the hijab should take them to Muslim schools. This cannot be tenable in schools funded by the government.
Ogbeni go and check your facts. I am an ex-ISI student. ISI is not funded by any government. Strictly privately run. Stop posting barefaced lies.
herkeem:
If this hijab is so compulsory, how come so many Muslim ladies do not wear it? As I wrote earlier, this merely shows either a lack of understanding, but most likely a weakness of faith
No Sir. It shows they have a mind of their own and a freewill to choose what's best for them and not have oversabi religious fanatics like you determine how to practice whatever it is they practice. All female suicide bombers wear hijab. I suppose that makes them your ideal moslem women doesn't it? Grossly poor deductive reasoning if you ask me.
herkeem:
the hijab is not optional. It is not something you choose to do or not do. It is compulsory
for close minded religious bigots yes. These ones however have no right whatsoever to dictate to sane liberal minded people.
I have attached Ajimobi's daughters'pictures here. Feel free to deny it.

5 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by KDULAR: 5:36pm On Nov 22, 2018
It is unfortunate that all this is happening. Everyone has the right to religion thoughts belief and practices without hindrance. From what I am seeing, it starting from somewhere that seem innocuous now, in the next 20 years thereabout, we are defintely going to have a divided society. And I hope those propagating the divisive postures will be recompensated with the monstrous divisions they are creating in the name of religion. I see all these as just some clique being futuristic and setting the foundation for maintaining their relevance and economy.
I am just appalled at the division they are planting into the hearts of their children and most importantly, robbing ( without them knowing it)their children of their innocence in the name of religion.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by bankyblue(m): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Komolafe89:
animal will the hijab affecting you ? Do they force you to to use it or what affects you there

Calling me animal just answered all my hidden question.

You really stand for peace!

Back to your question.
The hijab dose not affect me in anyway!
My grand parent Are devoted Muslim, if they practice it the way it done or with your attitude. I for kill them with my hand.
Omoalejatijati

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by nawtyme: 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2018
Demmzy15:
How does Hijab harm or cause harm to the body? Does Hijab destroy the kidney as Alcohol does?
Is it your kidney? How does my drinking alcohol affect your kidney? My kidney would get damaged right, but you see no wrong in marrying children as little as 9-12 years old, divorcing them later and leaving them with VVF. Does that not harm the body? How many people have been arrested by the sharia police for that?

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by nawtyme: 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2018
Demmzy15:
Is ISI a Christian school? Why should I go to a Muslim school to exercise my fundamental right as a Muslim in a government secular school? angry
It is not a government school. Your right ends when that if another starts. Besides, were they not aware of the rules before they decided to enroll their wards?

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Jidibia(m): 7:06pm On Nov 22, 2018
abdulskulboy:

You have eye, but u can't see, you have ear, but u can't hear. Post it here what this chapt. of the bible says. Matthew 26:39 if indeed u re christian. post it b4 we continues
See this confused terrorist, you should be ashamed of your terrorist religion. Anybody can access the Bible that's the beauty of Christianity and not that your confused quran that only you people are allowed to access cus of the bad bad and misleading stuffs in it.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Sike(m): 7:10pm On Nov 22, 2018
God will help you all to settle this dispute.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by jrusky(m): 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2018
abdulskulboy:

Who did u think re behind the killings in those country above? If not the hypocrisy of the christians & jews.
The religion keep growing in spite ur hypocrisy.

See how foolish you are so it's the Christian that gave Yusuf Boko Haram founder gun and bomb to start terrorism in Nigeria bah

So it's Christian that asked Bin Laden to start Al-Qaeda and over ran Afghanistan govt and behead their president in.a public square bah?

If a Christian can tell you a Muslim to go and destroy your father's land and kill your fellow brethren then you are a very stupid man in a very stupid world.

And you ignorantly claimed Islam is growing, pls grow where I guess in your village oh sorry you are being deceived by NL claiming some are converted to islam bro drop your proof? Who will join a religion that goes around looking for who to behead at 21st century Bro you better wake up from your slumber. You are very confused do you know your problem? You Muslim.problem is they just read quoran to you and you are not allow to ask questions or do research thereby making you all so blind, blunt and so crude. Pls go to bed don't let me offend God this evening.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by princfred(m): 9:17pm On Nov 22, 2018
jrusky:

See how foolish you are so it's the Christian that gave Yusuf Boko Haram founder gun and bomb to start terrorism in Nigeria bah

So it's Christian that asked Bin Laden to start Al-Qaeda and over ran Afghanistan govt and behead their presudent in.a public square bah?

If a Christian can tell you a Muslim to go and destroy your father's land and kill your fellow brethren then you are a very stupid man in a very stupid world.

And you ignorantly claimed Islam is growing, pls grow where I guess in your village oh sorry you are being deceived by NL claiming some are converted to islam bro drop your proof. Who will join a religion that goes around looking for who to behead at 21st century Bro you better wake up from your slumber. You are very confused do uou know your problem? You Muslim.problem is they just read quoran to you and you are not allow to ask questions or do research thereby making you all blind, blunt and so crude. Pls go to bed don't let me offend God this evening.

Very mentally convulated people. Before you know, they will say Christians are BH and FH. Anyone but Muslims. Taqyya turns Muslims into goatish thinkers or the other way. Muslims and lies/revisionism be like 5&6.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by bjcuntis(m): 10:07pm On Nov 22, 2018
GoTV:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think Muslims are been marginalized and their rights are trampled upon in most Southern schools. We Christians should better realize that Nigeria is a secular country dominated by Muslims wether we like it or not. Most schools pray the Christian way without considering the faith of Muslims and yet we Christians still refuse to let Muslims wear an harmless Hijab I hope Muric and other Muslim groups reject this open hypocrisy of we Christians sad
U are mad
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 22, 2018
bjcuntis:

U are mad

angry i will make sure you regret this
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Yemi7up: 10:51pm On Nov 22, 2018
Vicolan:
Why are we always having issues on Religion in Nigeria? This suck.. And we ain't that righteous thou....
Because some Muslims are sick.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Yemi7up: 10:53pm On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.
Then go to schools that Islamic base abi wahala wanbe.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Immarocks(f): 1:24am On Nov 23, 2018
GoTV:

Every sane female is meant to cover her hair
tell how uncovered hair makes a" female " insane please....
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Immarocks(f): 1:27am On Nov 23, 2018
Ibrahimmrfish:
Which part of the north? Please provide names and links backup your lies.I did my service in Kebbi state and i was posted to a secondary school and i never saw i single Christian girl wearing a hijab.

And am born and breed in the north....
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by IME1: 3:09am On Nov 23, 2018
ugo4u:
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.

Quoting your long post for emphasis

I once taught in a private school and I allowed hijab not knowing the school didn't permit hijab, scapula, rosary or white beads.
But for benefit of hindsight in core southern/Christian states with a few Muslims who are not even indigenous, I noticed hijab is permitted liberally by the people and teachers in government schools.

But noooooo not the north! You must cover your hair whether you are Christians or Muslims.
Should we talk of the issue of getting c of o to build a church? That will be another post
Go figure the building of a church in law school in Bagauda or UDUS or BUT or having fellowship at the new fed uni in Katsina.

For reason sake, no apologies, many muslims are not tolerant, peaceful or accommodating.
Why suppress other religions and their practise in your terrain and come weep up sentiments in other people's terrain?
A non Muslim cannot enter Mecca can we say so about any Christian place?

Go and read what led to the problems in Turkey, Lebanon and and even Iran concerning imposition of Islam.

Tolerance is not silence or mumu-ness. If someone offends your rules you tell them peacefully. If they don't comply and it's your house you maturely excuse them. If it's their house you excuse yourself.

UI is the only university without quota system. It's accommodating. You see places for Muslims to pray just as you see for Christians. Including the wall abi slab built to block the cross between the mosque and the church.
All other universities have secondary schools and even primary.
No one ought to have religious affiliation but university affiliation.
What the Muslims are doing in ISI is an invitation to chaos, loss of academic time, hatred, religious bigotry, child abuse (psychological effect between Muslim and Christian friends who are now kept on opposite divides).

During uni I'd Muslim roommates. I'm talking of rooms where we stay 2 oh! They pray i pray. Peace. I didn't disturb with audio recordings or other things and they too didn't.
That's harmony. We talked about our faith, ate together, accommodated our guests, friends and sleep over people.

I remember how a rev sis was not allowed to wear her habit by a deeper life dean. But that's the rule. No sentiments. The habit of a nun is even more emphasised than the hijab in my opinion because hardly would you see a rev sis without her hair covering but I can't understand when I see Muslim elites, their children or themselves choosing when or when not to wear the hijab.
From their pre wedding pictures, to times they go to western countries to even when they attend events in Nigeria, so is it a religious act meant for only the poor, radical or select 'many'?

Why can't no one answer? Many Muslim elites do not wear or emphasise hijab. How does it affect learning? The rev sis had a choice to earn her degree or return to the convent.

During assembly in schools, do they pray prayers from different religions or do they scrap prayers? Are we heading the way of America, a failed way?
What happens in the south (west, east, core south) must be applicable in the north (west, east and central).

I'd like to go to Chibok, Dapchi, Funtua, Fegge and among the Zuru people of Kebbi and see the Christian girls allowed to leave their patewo plaited hair uncovered in any school- government or private

THEN WE CAN HAVE A CONVERSATION - MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS AND YES IFA AND THE REST

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by abdulskulboy(m): 5:52am On Nov 23, 2018
Jidibia:

See this confused terrorist, you should be ashamed of your terrorist religion. Anybody can access the Bible that's the beauty of Christianity and not that your confused quran that only you people are allowed to access cus of the bad bad and misleading stuffs in it.
Are you not ashamed that you can't read the bible in Hebrew, the translated english bible u use to read is like newspaper, no language translate another language, that's why u see diff. Version of translated bible e.g kjv,nib etc but the words remain thesame in the original version {hebrew}.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Jidibia(m): 6:14am On Nov 23, 2018
abdulskulboy:

Are you not ashamed that you can't read the bible in Hebrew, the translated english bible u use to read is like newspaper, no language translate another language, that's why u see diff. Version of translated bible e.g kjv,nib etc but the words remain thesame in the original version {hebrew}.
Ashamed Look at this idiot..... So you don't know that there is English version of ur useless quran? Anyways, let ur mallams continue to deceive u. No wonder islam breeds terrorists. Everything about islam and muslims is evil and deceit.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by amalab30(m): 6:38am On Nov 23, 2018
This lady is a Marxist. I like her guts. She as she dey tackle that guy. Take your kids elsewhere or abide by School's Code of Conduct.

beethoven:

TO THOSE WHO ARE CLAIMING THAT ISI IS A PUBLIC SCHOOL PLEASE READ A LITTLE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL BEFORE YOU JUMP ONTO THE BANDWAGON OF YOUR MURIC BANDIT LEADER PROF Ishaq Akintola WHO KNOWS NOTHING OTHER THAN FOMENTING TROUBLE.

With reference to write ups concerning wearing of Hijab and subsequent protest by selected Muslim Parents in International School Ibadan (ISI), I hereby make my submission below:

To start with, it's a pity that Muslims do preach that Islam is a Religion of Peace. All what was said in the write ups by Prof Ishaq Akintola (President of Muslim Rights Concern {MURIC}) and Prof Salisu Shehu (Deputy General Secretary, Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs {NSCIA}) are all FICTIONS. I don't know why they just don't embrace peace and live with others peacefully with tolerance. And to say that these people spreading all these false news and information are Professors. Their Professorial status was merited via their scholarship and thus are more informed and knowledgeable and should not misinform or mislead others. They are people who are looked up to in the society for proper direction and guidance.

[b]The Secondary School, ISI was founded and established by a British-German Educator Kurt Hahn a Christian in October 1963 with funding from USAID, Ford Foundation and donation of land space by the Nigerian Western Regional Government. Most of the pioneer teaching staff were British expatriates’ educators from Gordonstoun in Scotland. The school is a co-educational Boarding and Day School, admitting pupils aged 10 to 16. It was primarily established to meet the need of finding a school with a world class standard comparable to schools in Europe and Northern America for children of expatriates, living and working in Nigeria. It opened its doors to pupils of both expatriates of diverse nationalities and highly placed Nigerians. The social setting that ISI provided attracted more patronage from people of all races. Also the principals who have headed the school have been mostly Reverend Fathers and one Muslim. The first Principal was David S. Snell (1963–1965) of blessed memory; followed by John Gillespie (1965–1968). The longest serving Principal was an Anglican clergy, Archdeacon J.A. Iluyomade (1969–1985) of blessed memory. He was also the first indigenous head of the school. After him was Rev. (Dr.) Dapo Ajayi (1986–1988) also of blessed memory, then Dapo Fajembola (1990–1991) also of blessed memory. Thereafter came the first female Principal, Esther Adetola Smith (1991–2004). After her was R.O. Akintilebo (2006–2007) who was the first Muslim Principal, Dr. M.B Malik (2007–2017) and Phebean O. Olowe (2017-present). It should be stated that between 2004 and 2006 when the school had internal crises and administrative issues a Non-Academic Staff of the University, Mr. Augustine Onwueme of Blessed memory was assigned by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Prof. Odejide as an administrator to manage the affairs of ISI. Mr. Augustine Onwueme was an administrator from June/July, 2004 until his demise in December 2005 on contract basis. [/b]

The school dress code with the emphasis of no HEAD COVER means no scarf, beret or the hijab. Permit me to say that the wearing of Hijab is not on religious bases but cultural (way of life). The region where the mode of dressing emanated from was in the Middle East which is a desert and thus the need to protect their eyes from blindness due to the sand dust. ISI is a private school not funded by any Government or even the University of Ibadan. The University of Ibadan only manages the affairs and administration of the School thus informing as Chairman of the School Governing Council to be the appointed Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) of the Institution. This is a school where a praying ground is provided for the Muslims to observe their prayers and if you must know it's because of the Muslims that the school closes on Friday by 12.30pm in other for Muslim students to observe Jumat and they are actually been conveyed to the Mosque in the University for prayers. Also on Sundays, as the Christian students have their Fellowship in school, The Muslim Student Society (MSS) of ISI has one of the staff of the school who comes around on Sunday to anchor the fellowship with them on ISI premises. The Islamic Religion Knowledge /Arabic Language Studies was introduced into the school curriculum by Mr. R. O. Akintilebo during his tenure. He initiated this by engaging tutors who came and teach the students on a part time bases. If ISI is discriminating as claimed by the writers, Mr. R. O. Akintilebo would never be employed to head the school as a Principal. His appointment was on merit as he was one of the teachers in the school. Please tell me, is there any discrimination against the Muslims as petitioned by the unrecognized International School Muslim Parents’ Forum (ISMPF)? Why is it so difficult for people to abide by the rules and regulations of a school? No one forced those clamoring for the use of Hijab to bring their kids to ISI. There are lots of Islamic Secondary schools in Oyo state where without any difficulty they can wear their Hijab. The man who started this madness Abdurrahman Balogun (Chairman of International School Muslim Parents’ Forum {ISMPF}, an association not recognized by the school authorities), in ISI who was distributing the Hijab to the girls at the school car park on Monday 12 November, 2018 enrolled his child last year into JSS1. This is his second year in ISI. Following day, Tuesday 13th November the school management had a PTA meeting and parents made their grievances known to the management. Funny enough some of the parents and the Alumni who attended the PTA meeting to speak were Muslims and they emphasized their displeasure by what their Muslim counterparts are causing in the school. I was at that PTA meeting (being a parent whose child has been attending the school for over three years) and I witnessed all that transpired. An email sent in by one Alhaja Basirat Banke Adeniyi was read by the chairman, Lawyer Kazeem Olaniyi of the recognized PTA in the school (also a Muslim), where she expressed her disappointment over the acts of the ISMPF and suggested by mentioning Muslim schools in Ibadan that these aggrieved parents can take their kids to, if they cannot abide by the rules and regulations of ISI. The culprit of this whole madness, Abdurrahman Balogun who wrote the petition about discrimination of the Muslim students in the school and the need to wear hijab was shut down by majority of the parents from talking, for disrupting the peace of the institution which has been established over 55years where the students are all tutored together irrespective of their religion or ethnic differences. Parents at the meeting were even asking what form of discrimination was experienced by these Muslim children, none was ever mentioned. The governing council however met on Wednesday 14 November and gave their final verdict that the school will maintain its status quo one of which is no wearing of any form of head cover and anyone who violates this should not be allowed inside the school premises or the parents should take such kids to other schools where it is permitted to wear any form of head cover such as hijab. The irony about this, is the fact that those parents who are headstrong about the decision of the Governing Council has instructed their daughters to wear the hijab thus hindering their entering the school premises and attending their classes. These are the girls seen outside the school gate with their hijab on, 8 of them in number. While other Muslim parents abided by the school authorities and Governing Council verdict, instructed their girls to remove their hijab so that they can be allowed to enter the school premises and continue with their classes. These other 8 girls have been attending the school without Hijab for years until their parents are woken from their slumber by this spoiler and enemy of peace, Abdurrahman Balogun whom was said to have established the ISI Muslim Parents Association Forum. An illegal association not recognised by the school authorities aside from the PTA. Funny thing is his own child is attending classes. Do you know why? His child is a boy while those who are supporting his cause have their kids to be girls and with the new rule of no wearing of hijab they are denied access into the school. I rest my case. But the question are: Will the wearing of hijab make their girls more brilliant or better still take them to heaven? If the foreign Christians who established the school had said strictly no other person of other religion except from Christianity should attend, maybe this problem would not have emerged. The Muslim parents who are supporting this cause some of them actually got educated through their attendance of mission schools owned by Catholics, Methodist, Baptist and Anglican. I went to St. Louis Girls Secondary School Mokola and the late Arisekola Alao's daughter Fatima who was a junior attended and her other siblings attended ISI. Also the Baale of Bodija Alhaji Rasheed Adesokan two daughters, Folake and Tolani attended my school (St. Louis) in fact Folake was my mate. Although she was taken away in her final year because Folake actually converted to a Christian of her own free will. We have Muslims sending their children to Christian Private owned Universities like Babcock, Bowen, Covenant, Redeemers and so on. Why can’t they agitate for wearing of Hijab in this private owned tertiary institutions, if they can clamour for such in ISI which is equally a private owned Secondary School. At least I know there are Muslim owned universities like Cresecent University in Abeokuta and Fountain University at Osogbo all in South West. One can go on and on about this. It's all optional and choice you don't have to force your own religion doctrines on others violating the laid down rules and then going about spreading false information of discrimination against Muslim students.

Dr. Olufunke Adegoke
Lecturer, Department of Sociology,
University of Ibadan
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by amalab30(m): 7:09am On Nov 23, 2018
Thank you bruh. Attached is a googled snapshot of the Princess of Saudi. No Hijab.

NiyiRocks:

Ajimobi's daughters do not wear hijab. Don't even counter this cos I know, pictures attached. There goes your champion. Hypocrisy No1.

Princess of Saudi Arabia, Ameerah does not wear hijab. O ye that are more catholic than the Pope.

And you believe you are in a position to tell what is compulsory or not for other religions? How hypocritical can you get?

Ogbeni go and check your facts. I am an ex-ISI student. ISI is not funded by any government. Strictly privately run. Stop posting barefaced lies.
No Sir. It shows they have a mind of their own and a freewill to choose what's best for them and not have oversabi religious fanatics like you determine how to practice whatever it is they practice. All female suicide bombers wear hijab. I suppose that makes them your ideal moslem women doesn't it? Grossly poor deductive reasoning if you ask me.
for close minded religious bigots yes. These ones however have no right whatsoever to dictate to sane liberal minded people.
I have attached Ajimobi's daughters'pictures here. Feel free to deny it.

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 23, 2018
ugo4u:
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.

You wrote well,well-done.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by abdulskulboy(m): 8:21am On Nov 23, 2018
Jidibia:

Ashamed Look at this idiot..... So you don't know that there is English version of ur useless quran? Anyways, let ur mallams continue to deceive u. No wonder islam breeds terrorists. Everything about islam and muslims is evil and deceit.
May Allah la'ana be upon you. I may consider you sane when you can read the Holy Bible the way JESUS the son of MARY {pbut} recite it [hebrew].
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 23, 2018
GoTV:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think Muslims are been marginalized and their rights are trampled upon in most Southern schools. We Christians should better realize that Nigeria is a secular country dominated by Muslims wether we like it or not. Most schools pray the Christian way without considering the faith of Muslims and yet we Christians still refuse to let Muslims wear an harmless Hijab I hope Muric and other Muslim groups reject this open hypocrisy of we Christians sad
You are the hypocrite here
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 23, 2018
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.
That school has been existence for over 55 years and dress code has been maintained. If you are not comfortable kindly enroll your kids in schools that allows hijab
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 23, 2018
herkeem:
The International School Ibadan (ISI) and the Hijab Ban.

ISI is a secondary school under the control of the management of University of Ibadan. The school has been in the news in the last few days for its refusal to allow willing female Muslim students use Hijab on their uniform. The situation has degenerated to the extent that the Muslim students were shut out of the school among other unwarranted actions of the school as represented by the Principal, one Mrs Phebean Olowe.

I have read and listened to different opinions on the development and I am not sorry for the positions I take on the matter. Before I conclude with my positions however, I have a few questions for the Principal in question as well as anyone with position same as or similar to that of the school management:

1. Does the wearing of Hijab by the willing female Muslim students portend any danger/evil for their colleagues (who don't), the school or anyone for that matter?

2. Is it against the law of the land for the students of such a 'public' school to wear Hijab?

3. Does their observance of that aspect of their constitutional rights rub or deny anyone of his?

If the genuine answers to the above questions are NO, then I am of the opinion that the assertion that the school's reactions are borne out of hatred for Islam and the Muslims must be very true and this has to stop and stop NOW.

And for those who might be asking, does their not wearing Hijab portend any danger? Yes, it does and contrary to the opinions of those that know not, not wearing Hijab makes female muslims less Muslims because it's not a flexible commandment. If your wish is really not to make them non-Muslims, let them use what makes them the Muslims that they are.

I call on all the concerned stakeholders and well meaning people of the society to intervene in good time to allow our female Muslim students join their colleagues without any further victimization, molestation, discrimination or disdainful treatment of any kind.

Leyin aponle, abuku lo Ku o........... Tori a ko le wa sa fun keke lo kolu moto.....

Adesanjo Oyejide.
Have you for once ask whether Parent Teacher's Association had agreed ?. How can a group of people force a school to change rule. If they are not comfortable, they should enroll their kids in other schools. I stand with the principal on this. Let PTA decide not someone miscreant

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 23, 2018
beethoven:

TO THOSE WHO ARE CLAIMING THAT ISI IS A PUBLIC SCHOOL PLEASE READ A LITTLE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL BEFORE YOU JUMP ONTO THE BANDWAGON OF YOUR MURIC BANDIT LEADER PROF Ishaq Akintola WHO KNOWS NOTHING OTHER THAN FOMENTING TROUBLE.

With reference to write ups concerning wearing of Hijab and subsequent protest by selected Muslim Parents in International School Ibadan (ISI), I hereby make my submission below:

To start with, it's a pity that Muslims do preach that Islam is a Religion of Peace. All what was said in the write ups by Prof Ishaq Akintola (President of Muslim Rights Concern {MURIC}) and Prof Salisu Shehu (Deputy General Secretary, Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs {NSCIA}) are all FICTIONS. I don't know why they just don't embrace peace and live with others peacefully with tolerance. And to say that these people spreading all these false news and information are Professors. Their Professorial status was merited via their scholarship and thus are more informed and knowledgeable and should not misinform or mislead others. They are people who are looked up to in the society for proper direction and guidance.

[b]The Secondary School, ISI was founded and established by a British-German Educator Kurt Hahn a Christian in October 1963 with funding from USAID, Ford Foundation and donation of land space by the Nigerian Western Regional Government. Most of the pioneer teaching staff were British expatriates’ educators from Gordonstoun in Scotland. The school is a co-educational Boarding and Day School, admitting pupils aged 10 to 16. It was primarily established to meet the need of finding a school with a world class standard comparable to schools in Europe and Northern America for children of expatriates, living and working in Nigeria. It opened its doors to pupils of both expatriates of diverse nationalities and highly placed Nigerians. The social setting that ISI provided attracted more patronage from people of all races. Also the principals who have headed the school have been mostly Reverend Fathers and one Muslim. The first Principal was David S. Snell (1963–1965) of blessed memory; followed by John Gillespie (1965–1968). The longest serving Principal was an Anglican clergy, Archdeacon J.A. Iluyomade (1969–1985) of blessed memory. He was also the first indigenous head of the school. After him was Rev. (Dr.) Dapo Ajayi (1986–1988) also of blessed memory, then Dapo Fajembola (1990–1991) also of blessed memory. Thereafter came the first female Principal, Esther Adetola Smith (1991–2004). After her was R.O. Akintilebo (2006–2007) who was the first Muslim Principal, Dr. M.B Malik (2007–2017) and Phebean O. Olowe (2017-present). It should be stated that between 2004 and 2006 when the school had internal crises and administrative issues a Non-Academic Staff of the University, Mr. Augustine Onwueme of Blessed memory was assigned by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Prof. Odejide as an administrator to manage the affairs of ISI. Mr. Augustine Onwueme was an administrator from June/July, 2004 until his demise in December 2005 on contract basis. [/b]

The school dress code with the emphasis of no HEAD COVER means no scarf, beret or the hijab. Permit me to say that the wearing of Hijab is not on religious bases but cultural (way of life). The region where the mode of dressing emanated from was in the Middle East which is a desert and thus the need to protect their eyes from blindness due to the sand dust. ISI is a private school not funded by any Government or even the University of Ibadan. The University of Ibadan only manages the affairs and administration of the School thus informing as Chairman of the School Governing Council to be the appointed Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) of the Institution. This is a school where a praying ground is provided for the Muslims to observe their prayers and if you must know it's because of the Muslims that the school closes on Friday by 12.30pm in other for Muslim students to observe Jumat and they are actually been conveyed to the Mosque in the University for prayers. Also on Sundays, as the Christian students have their Fellowship in school, The Muslim Student Society (MSS) of ISI has one of the staff of the school who comes around on Sunday to anchor the fellowship with them on ISI premises. The Islamic Religion Knowledge /Arabic Language Studies was introduced into the school curriculum by Mr. R. O. Akintilebo during his tenure. He initiated this by engaging tutors who came and teach the students on a part time bases. If ISI is discriminating as claimed by the writers, Mr. R. O. Akintilebo would never be employed to head the school as a Principal. His appointment was on merit as he was one of the teachers in the school. Please tell me, is there any discrimination against the Muslims as petitioned by the unrecognized International School Muslim Parents’ Forum (ISMPF)? Why is it so difficult for people to abide by the rules and regulations of a school? No one forced those clamoring for the use of Hijab to bring their kids to ISI. There are lots of Islamic Secondary schools in Oyo state where without any difficulty they can wear their Hijab. The man who started this madness Abdurrahman Balogun (Chairman of International School Muslim Parents’ Forum {ISMPF}, an association not recognized by the school authorities), in ISI who was distributing the Hijab to the girls at the school car park on Monday 12 November, 2018 enrolled his child last year into JSS1. This is his second year in ISI. Following day, Tuesday 13th November the school management had a PTA meeting and parents made their grievances known to the management. Funny enough some of the parents and the Alumni who attended the PTA meeting to speak were Muslims and they emphasized their displeasure by what their Muslim counterparts are causing in the school. I was at that PTA meeting (being a parent whose child has been attending the school for over three years) and I witnessed all that transpired. An email sent in by one Alhaja Basirat Banke Adeniyi was read by the chairman, Lawyer Kazeem Olaniyi of the recognized PTA in the school (also a Muslim), where she expressed her disappointment over the acts of the ISMPF and suggested by mentioning Muslim schools in Ibadan that these aggrieved parents can take their kids to, if they cannot abide by the rules and regulations of ISI. The culprit of this whole madness, Abdurrahman Balogun who wrote the petition about discrimination of the Muslim students in the school and the need to wear hijab was shut down by majority of the parents from talking, for disrupting the peace of the institution which has been established over 55years where the students are all tutored together irrespective of their religion or ethnic differences. Parents at the meeting were even asking what form of discrimination was experienced by these Muslim children, none was ever mentioned. The governing council however met on Wednesday 14 November and gave their final verdict that the school will maintain its status quo one of which is no wearing of any form of head cover and anyone who violates this should not be allowed inside the school premises or the parents should take such kids to other schools where it is permitted to wear any form of head cover such as hijab. The irony about this, is the fact that those parents who are headstrong about the decision of the Governing Council has instructed their daughters to wear the hijab thus hindering their entering the school premises and attending their classes. These are the girls seen outside the school gate with their hijab on, 8 of them in number. While other Muslim parents abided by the school authorities and Governing Council verdict, instructed their girls to remove their hijab so that they can be allowed to enter the school premises and continue with their classes. These other 8 girls have been attending the school without Hijab for years until their parents are woken from their slumber by this spoiler and enemy of peace, Abdurrahman Balogun whom was said to have established the ISI Muslim Parents Association Forum. An illegal association not recognised by the school authorities aside from the PTA. Funny thing is his own child is attending classes. Do you know why? His child is a boy while those who are supporting his cause have their kids to be girls and with the new rule of no wearing of hijab they are denied access into the school. I rest my case. But the question are: Will the wearing of hijab make their girls more brilliant or better still take them to heaven? If the foreign Christians who established the school had said strictly no other person of other religion except from Christianity should attend, maybe this problem would not have emerged. The Muslim parents who are supporting this cause some of them actually got educated through their attendance of mission schools owned by Catholics, Methodist, Baptist and Anglican. I went to St. Louis Girls Secondary School Mokola and the late Arisekola Alao's daughter Fatima who was a junior attended and her other siblings attended ISI. Also the Baale of Bodija Alhaji Rasheed Adesokan two daughters, Folake and Tolani attended my school (St. Louis) in fact Folake was my mate. Although she was taken away in her final year because Folake actually converted to a Christian of her own free will. We have Muslims sending their children to Christian Private owned Universities like Babcock, Bowen, Covenant, Redeemers and so on. Why can’t they agitate for wearing of Hijab in this private owned tertiary institutions, if they can clamour for such in ISI which is equally a private owned Secondary School. At least I know there are Muslim owned universities like Cresecent University in Abeokuta and Fountain University at Osogbo all in South West. One can go on and on about this. It's all optional and choice you don't have to force your own religion doctrines on others violating the laid down rules and then going about spreading false information of discrimination against Muslim students.

Dr. Olufunke Adegoke
Lecturer, Department of Sociology,
University of Ibadan
Good analysis. Your report is unbiased and detailed
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 23, 2018
Christians are allow to dress according to their belief but they doesn't want Muslims to dress according to their own belief because of Intolerance
What belief are talking of?. Do they allow chaplet,rosary or dressing like nun?. Don't type what you don't know.

NOW YOU ARE INVITING CHAOS TO SOUTH WEST

but if we start our ,own you will start calling us intolerant, Terrorist

If you are comfortable kindly enroll your kids in religious school as there are many of them countrywide

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What A Phd Is And What It Is Not / Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada / How To Increase Your Vocabulary Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.