Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences (21821 Views)

Religious Differences In Marriage / Religious Differences Just Cost Me My Relationship / My Relationship Is Threatened, How Do I Resolve This? Photos!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Fasinaomolade: 5:46pm On Nov 24, 2018
stankezzy:
Sister the mistake most people are making in this post is that they don't use Google or their brain well , the braham and Catherine coolman are the greatest preacher that have ever lived after the bible time , u will find history about them in God's generals , braham came first then later years around 60s and 70s Catherine came , both of them are from USA , in the case of braham the problem the congregation had was that the world was not as developed as in the time of Catherine so the made some minor mistakes. God so much used these two people that in their healing services cut off legs , amputated legs and hands , blind eyes with no balls grow back as everybody is watching , so with braham the people of his time started to like trying to (worship ) or believe in him instead of believing in his God , braham was a very good christian , why the members built their doctrine around him which is wrong was because of the wonders they saw happen when he prays , mind u it was early 19 century , somebody should not come and say it is lies what I wrote , it all happened in USA , they have records and and majority of people that recorded it are not even christians , so finally the church is not a cult but they are making some little mistake which started after the death of the man
pls where can dis be found in d bible. the Bible says we have been given a name that is d name of Jesus every knees shall bow. not in d name of Catherine or Bramham. just like latter day saints that were distributing the book of Mormon. let me shock I didn't feel any touch from d book.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Ishilove: 5:57pm On Nov 24, 2018
Jabioro:
Religion make you live a miserable life, being a liberal make you live your life to the fullest.Religion caged you and throw fear of unknow on to you, make you to experience unknow and speak about unknow..lt make you a rigid meanwhile God is not on a still material.HE does not gave them a rigid law .Even the earth is rotating..leave your brother Braham dream and live your personal dream sister!
Jabioro!! cheesy
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 24, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
what I don't understand is how can people start dating without knowing the church and denomination the other is going....what were you people discussing albinitio....carry your cross

Na wetin vex me pass be this, so I choose to reserve my comment.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Jabioro: 6:53pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ishilove:
Jabioro!! cheesy
lshilove where have you been?...abi mi wi re!
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Yuceeluv(f): 7:28pm On Nov 24, 2018
hidee20:

Abeg can you describe how you picture it? grin

1 Like

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:
Hello, I have been with my boyfriend for over a year. We started off well, in -love as you usually do and have shared some wonderful experiences. We're both Christians and I'd never thought of asking what he believed in exactly, I just assumed he was a 'normal' Christians. I even invited him to my church which he attended a few times.

Fast forward to 9 months down the line, I asked him about his church and he said 'you might find it strange, you might think I'm an extremist. So did digged a bit further and asked him what he meant He said 'well the women wear trousers and they don't wear make-up. Now at this point, I was thinking, well I do all these things and you why is he with me if I still do these things? And why allow me to fall deeply in love if I didn't really meet the 'criteria' A few months later, I pressed to attend his church.

So it turns out he is part of The Message church, and their prophet is 'William Branham', they have very strict rules over the women in the church but I don't see anything that the men have to give up per se. What disturbed me the most is that the teachings were mainly cantered around 'Brother Branham' and what he said and what he prophesied etc.

I found this experience very strange and alarming, why wouldn't they just preach straight from the Bible and that be it? They even have a Christian and non-Christian sboed asked where in the bible it said this and he said there isn't.

BUT, apparently Brother Branham' had a dream where God showed him hell and the devil was wearing very high heeled shoes and that's why it's not allowed. I had never heard of this church before meeting him, they all live in fear, even I started to live in fear and have paranoia about hell etc, it was mentally tormenting for me. We had some arguments around it, almost to the point of breaking up.

I think he thinks I'll 'convert' deep down, but the way I'm seeing it I can't. From my perspective, I'd be fine with him going to his church and me attending mine, but if we're thinking long term that would be tricky and probably not work and he would not be happy with it.

I am torn because I really love him, he is my first boyfriend and we've shared a lot of memories together. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is part of a cult or whether that is indeed the truth! How would I not wear any make-up on my wedding day? What if my kids want to take part in sports at school, do I tell them they have to wear dresses to run or in the gym? I never thought this would be the thing that would break us apart, I am torn and trying so hard to mentally switch off, but I don't know what to do.

We both love each other and since the arguments we've just not discussed the topic anymore, but I know it's only a matter of time. l'm scared of starting again, looking for someone all over again, What do I do? What would you do?
look, my dad is baptist, and my mum is pentecostal. religion wouldnt stop u from marrying him, but if you know you cant deal then leave, or both of you find a compromise and go to a completely different church together.

If he uses children to blackmail you, then you tell him that our xhildren will choose their path, and if he still insists, then run.
my parents tried that solution of going to a different church and that worked for a few years before they went back to their original churches and they are still together. They learnt to keep church, work and home where it belongs.

i am a Christian mystic and philosopher, my other siblings are catholic, jehovah witness and C&S respectively.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by themanderon: 7:51pm On Nov 24, 2018
Leave that guy while its still morning for the time is coming when you will regret your actions if you don't leave now!!!
A Christian whose teaching is based on one mans view and not the bible is something that can only come from the pit of hell.
Think with your head and not your heart.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Aishasuccess(f): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2018
MrGodwithin:
females are not allow to wear trousers in that Church. so am not comfortable now ,you saying they wear trousers but don't do makeup. the branch of the Church where I do worship whenever am in Lagos, females don't wear trousers or makeup or fix artificial hairs
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by prof2015(m): 8:43pm On Nov 24, 2018
I am atheist and my wife is a Christian. We don't have any issues. Its all about maturity and understanding
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Magonline: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2018
My advice is simple: disentangle your from the guy now before it is too late. Not every that glitters is gold. Seek God sincerely....and He'll bring right man your way. Flee from sexual immorality. It would have been so easier to forget this guy if you had not slept with him.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Ishilove: 9:08pm On Nov 24, 2018
Jabioro:
lshilove where have you been?...abi mi wi re!
I've been right here, darling. Where have you been?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by bg0074real(m): 10:22pm On Nov 24, 2018
My dear don't let love fool you. This relationship cannot work. The earlier you come to reality the better. Your future husband is still out there. I'm sure you have gained experience from this. I will advise you to move on.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by adetounblessing(f): 10:22pm On Nov 24, 2018
Beloved ..I am a message believer we are not living in fear ...Is there any teaching that you find contrary to Bible? and every church has it's Leader ....so d
o we... Go back to the bible on the dressing code for a lady as recommended by God and how lady should comport herself in the church and My dear Hell is real....Dear sister count yourself privileged to have found the message
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:
Hello, I have been with my boyfriend for over a year. We started off well, in -love as you usually do and have shared some wonderful experiences. We're both Christians and I'd never thought of asking what he believed in exactly, I just assumed he was a 'normal' Christians. I even invited him to my church which he attended a few times.

Fast forward to 9 months down the line, I asked him about his church and he said 'you might find it strange, you might think I'm an extremist. So did digged a bit further and asked him what he meant He said 'well the women wear trousers and they don't wear make-up. Now at this point, I was thinking, well I do all these things and you why is he with me if I still do these things? And why allow me to fall deeply in love if I didn't really meet the 'criteria' A few months later, I pressed to attend his church.

So it turns out he is part of The Message church, and their prophet is 'William Branham', they have very strict rules over the women in the church but I don't see anything that the men have to give up per se. What disturbed me the most is that the teachings were mainly cantered around 'Brother Branham' and what he said and what he prophesied etc.

I found this experience very strange and alarming, why wouldn't they just preach straight from the Bible and that be it? They even have a Christian and non-Christian sboed asked where in the bible it said this and he said there isn't.

BUT, apparently Brother Branham' had a dream where God showed him hell and the devil was wearing very high heeled shoes and that's why it's not allowed. I had never heard of this church before meeting him, they all live in fear, even I started to live in fear and have paranoia about hell etc, it was mentally tormenting for me. We had some arguments around it, almost to the point of breaking up.

I think he thinks I'll 'convert' deep down, but the way I'm seeing it I can't. From my perspective, I'd be fine with him going to his church and me attending mine, but if we're thinking long term that would be tricky and probably not work and he would not be happy with it.

I am torn because I really love him, he is my first boyfriend and we've shared a lot of memories together. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is part of a cult or whether that is indeed the truth! How would I not wear any make-up on my wedding day? What if my kids want to take part in sports at school, do I tell them they have to wear dresses to run or in the gym? I never thought this would be the thing that would break us apart, I am torn and trying so hard to mentally switch off, but I don't know what to do.

We both love each other and since the arguments we've just not discussed the topic anymore, but I know it's only a matter of time. l'm scared of starting again, looking for someone all over again, What do I do? What would you do?

Mtcheeeew.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by kogi2010: 11:35pm On Nov 24, 2018
same too she is a Christian im a muslim, now she wants to dump me because I couldn't convert to Christianity, we have been dating for over a year now , pls advice me
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by rayobaba(m): 12:05am On Nov 25, 2018
Pardon me, at least u need advice.
I think u are still So young and naïve.
U waisted time before knowing his church---wrong move.
I doubt u even know about his mentality.
I cant attend church or gathering not teaching the bible ---wrong road.
I think you've been too much into sex with him, so u are kinda hooked.
Going to different church after wedding might not work, even if it works, it's not encouraging.
Use your brain, ensure its love and not lust.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by rayobaba(m): 12:14am On Nov 25, 2018
kogi2010:
same too she is a Christian im a muslim, now she wants to dump me because I couldn't convert to Christianity, we have been dating for over a year now , pls advice me
depends on ur tribe.
Either of u can change religion. If u cant change dont force it. If she wants to go, let her go. I dont beg or influence other person to stay in relationship with me, they wl eventually go, so dont waste your years. I won't judge between the two religion. If someone doesn't believe in ur religion, u might not help it. Me, wouldn't start relationship with another religion because same religion sef wahala stl dey. Some people say love conquers all, but l dont believe. Do u want her to change to ur religion?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 1:14am On Nov 25, 2018
So my cousins go to this church.Actually they call themselves “Bible believers” & the are followers of William Branham.I know they don’t wear makeup or jewelry, no trousers or clothes with slit for ladies.I am even surprised that he’s dating you because they don’t usually marry from other denominations.I don’t know much about them because i’ve never attended their services.However, when my cousin was getting married, the family members who attended the wedding said that the building had pictures of William Branham on the windows & walls.One of my other cousin who was a flower girl, had to remove her nail polish because it’s not allowed in that church.You sound really young & inexperienced in relationships.My advice would be for you to leave that relationship.Two cannot walk together unless they agree.Even if you escape going to his church, would you be comfortable with your children being taught the doctrines of his church & you already mentioned that they have strange doctrines? My dear, a heartbreak hurts but after a while you’ll heal & find new love.Better run before you get too deeply attached to him.It’s a cult actually.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 1:39am On Nov 25, 2018
Rotentina:
That church is a very good church. I grew up there as a young Christian, if you want to know Bible deeply, I will simply tell to make that church a place where to go.

They don't believe in Trinity, they believe in one God. They don't believe in women pastor. They don't believe in Bible school, they train every members to know the Bible truth etc, etc.

If you want to grow as a believer, make go to that church.
Are these the ones who worship at Bible believers tabernacle?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 1:48am On Nov 25, 2018
MrGodwithin:
females are not allow to wear trousers in that Church. so am not comfortable now ,you saying they wear trousers but don't do makeup. the branch of the Church where I do worship whenever am in Lagos, females don't wear trousers or makeup or fix artificial hairs
i think it was a typing error as she said that she couldn’t think of her girls going for sports in dresses.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 1:50am On Nov 25, 2018
Actjulius:

Your boyfriend is either a new believer or one who hasn’t decided to follow Christ fully otherwise he won’t be following a path that can lead him to fornication and other likely sins

You owe yourself a duty to visit the church and speak to the Pastor there and then make your decision. Everything is open and everyone is easily approachable
Did she at any point mention that it’s been a sexual relationship?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 2:00am On Nov 25, 2018
kogi2010:
Were you expecting her to convert to Islam or maybe raise your kids as Muslims? For me the issue of faith is a serious one.I can marry a Christian of another faith but am a bit picky about the denominations I can marry from because of doctrine issues.As for the two of you , had you discussed whether you’d worship in your different religions or one would have to convert? Also where were the children gonna go to?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by nwaimoroseyaho: 5:53am On Nov 25, 2018
My dear forget about love for now. Marriage is a serious business. Pls that Church is occultic. I know it is difficult pls try to switch off. Gradually withdraw from this man another man will come. Don't ever believe that you will not see another man.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by kogi2010: 6:25am On Nov 25, 2018
Beey:
Were you expecting her to convert to Islam or maybe raise your kids as Muslims? For me the issue of faith is a serious one.I can marry a Christian of another faith but am a bit picky about the denominations I can marry from because of doctrine issues.As for the two of you , had you discussed whether you’d worship in your different religions or one would have to convert? Also where were the children gonna go to?
I wasn't expecting her to convert to Islam, let her practice her own n I will practice mine, she worried she is getting older she is 32 now , I even ask for court wedding she refused.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by kogi2010: 6:29am On Nov 25, 2018
[quote author=rayobaba post=73277603]depends on ur tribe.
Either of u can change religion. If u cant change dont force it. If she wants to go, let her go. I dont beg or influence other person to stay in relationship with me, they wl eventually go, so dont waste your years. I won't judge between the two religion. If someone doesn't believe in ur religion, u might not help it. Me, wouldn't start relationship with another religion because same religion sef wahala stl dey. Some people say love conquers all, but l dont believe. Do u want her to change to ur religion?[/quote
thanks bro we are from the same geographical area but of us from north central she is Idoma while im Igala I guess I have to let go thanks for your advice
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Beey(f): 1:14pm On Nov 25, 2018
kogi2010:

I wasn't expecting her to convert to Islam, let her practice her own n I will practice mine, she worried she is getting older she is 32 now , I even ask for court wedding she refused.
Mmmmmmh,if she changed her mind, just let go.I always say that some things can’t be forced, they must come from the heart.If her heart is no longer with you, it’s easier to just move on.It’ll hurt for a while but you’ll be glad you did.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Zither(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2018
slowbreeze:

My dear;coming from someone who has been married for a while now;pls don't mind those who say love is the ultimate.Two cannot walk together except they agree.He never told u abt his place of worship early enuf.He is an extremist & expects u to convert & u don't believe in his beliefs/style of worship and may never.Whether u like it or not;by d time uv past d honeymoon stage and reality of marriage hits u; u are expected to do d needful & convert.;& when u don't do so & it begins to cause marital problems;d whole world will blame u.
Just end it while u can as amicably as possible.A broken engagement is better than a broken marriage.

Beautiful! Well said!

@Op, an addendum. I know William Branham. I've read his history and how he died. Sis, do the needful and give that guy a VERY wide distance, relationshipwise. Branham was noted for extreme heresies. I cannot begin to tell you. It is like he was a misogynist cloaking his orientation towards women with Biblical doctrines which have nothing to do with his heresies.

Go and make investigations about a church called The Bride Assembly. They are a sister church to the one your boyfriend attends. You really don't want to stick to anyone who believes in their doctrines...not especially a guy...and not especially for a long term relationship. I weep for you if you follow love like a blind fool which is worse than a fool or a blind person.

The heart is very deceitful above everything. You tell your heart who to love and it will obey....not the other way round. I am using a persuasive tone to reach you as you are just like any of my blood sisters who I wouldn't want to fall into the pathetic ditch of deception through groping in a senseless fog which masquerades itself as love. Stay yourself and your heart away from that guy for good.

Besides, we never always get it the first time...except by some unexpected stroke of luck.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by myk2mic: 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2018
funmisticqueen:
look, my dad is baptist, and my mum is pentecostal. religion wouldnt stop u from marrying him, but if you know you cant deal then leave, or both of you find a compromise and go to a completely different church together.

If he uses children to blackmail you, then you tell him that our xhildren will choose their path, and if he still insists, then run.
my parents tried that solution of going to a different church and that worked for a few years before they went back to their original churches and they are still together. They learnt to keep church, work and home where it belongs.

i am a Christian mystic and philosopher, my other siblings are catholic, jehovah witness and C&S respectively.

What do u mean by Christian mystic curious.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 25, 2018
Extremists who call themselves Christians are actually not Christians. Please take note of this. All extremists treat women like trash.

If you cannot wear trouser, it means you can't wear suits and tshirts designed for females since their men have their own designs. You will be stuck with only dresses reaching your feet. This is the mode of dressing for women from chauvinists who call themselves Christians.

Even the Israelites were fans of jewelries. It was part of their culture.

Any true christian will know that the popular scripture on dressing often misinterpreted by ignorant people was actually tailored to stop sodomy in all forms.

Your boyfriend knows the church he is attending and he is still there out of fear. Nothing more. Else, why will he leave all the sisters who attend there and date you? Probably looking for any form of fresh air from all the junk they have been feeding them.

If he cannot leave that sect, please call the relationship off. This is beyond trouser,high heels and makeup. There are a lot of things you don't know.
And please, next time you want to date, don't just discuss on values and believes. Get to know the inspiration behind it. It will save you a lot.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by kogi2010: 8:01pm On Nov 25, 2018
Beey:
Mmmmmmh,if she changed her mind, just let go.I always say that some things can’t be forced, they must come from the heart.If her heart is no longer with you, it’s easier to just move on.It’ll hurt for a while but you’ll be glad you did.
thanks

1 Like

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 25, 2018
myk2mic:

What do u mean by Christian mystic curious.
what is it to you? curious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Lack Of Commitment To Women Is Killing Me Slowly / It Is Okay For A Lady To Prepare Food For Her Boyfriend At Her Parent's Home? / I've Courted My Fiancee For 5yrs And I Never Touched Her Hand- Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.