Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,254 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31222 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 6:26pm On Mar 16, 2006
superfly niggy, superfly!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:35pm On Mar 16, 2006
i'm currently using the cover manager in amarok to download the album cover for my mp3s. the thing works like a charm!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:40pm On Mar 16, 2006
Face of Niggy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2006
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:32pm On Mar 19, 2006
openOffice.org 2.0 is now my best document editor. i find it more stable and comfortable to use than MSWord. It native file format is .odt, but it can save as other extensions included MSword .doc format. so i ve no problem of interoperating system compartibility.

Amarok threw me off balance, like two days ago when i discover the amazing lyric feature. it easily connect to the internet and downloaded the lyrics to my songs! i don't have to start looking for web pages for my lyrics, amarok does it all!. I repect this open source guys. With a tinkle it updated all my albumart pictures.

Haven't discover much about the new core 5, bt i'm yet too.Any one who has should please share the new features in fedora core 5.

i love fedora
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2006
@seun, i don't understand why? whenever i type g-u-ys, it changes to boys. what's up with that? i beg o do something sharp sharp.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by TYPOP(m): 7:55pm On Mar 19, 2006
Seun, the same happened with me.I had to change what I wanted to type to People. Pls do sth.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2006
Hi. I used the FC5 for a while. I downloaded all 6 cds and I have to say it detects hardware very nicely. I had some problems using it tha I didn't encounter with my Knoppix LiveCD runs or with Xandros. Anyway, the interface is simply super now.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2006
@seun, could you pls stop posting census spams into ma email?Thanks in advance.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:37pm On Mar 20, 2006
wait, are u saying fedora core 5 is 6 cds and not four?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:40pm On Mar 20, 2006
@Rhodalyn,what's funny?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:43pm On Mar 20, 2006
this if whats funny
Niggy:

@seun, could you please stop posting census spams into ma email?Thanks in advance.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 5:45pm On Mar 20, 2006
wait, are u saying fedora core 5 is 6 cds and not four?

There are six cds depending on how you look at it -- five installation disks and a boot cd.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 6:13pm On Mar 20, 2006
@ Niggy, the screenshots are here.

TO be honest, I have only used multiple Cd distro once which was Suse, if Fedora had a live CD option, i would give it a shot, but for now, my Dapper drake rocks.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:49pm On Mar 20, 2006
@Rhodalyn,do you use linux?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 11:42pm On Mar 20, 2006
Niggy:

@Rhodalyn,do you use linux?

Niggy, my niggy you're a real evangelist. Preach the word in season and out of season!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 11:47pm On Mar 20, 2006
Niggy, my niggy you're a real evangelist. Preach the word in season and out of season!

She shouldn't be in this post if she doesn't.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kossy(m): 1:20am On Mar 21, 2006
Hi, i am using red hat too.  Due to my prior knowledge of windows and how easily u get help on whatever subject i tend to have the natural hatred to linux.  I can hardly use my flash drive on it, i can play musics freely as i want, i can watch video unless i download some other files.  I dont have the flair for diskette any more and so with my flash drive i am useless with linux.  I wish u could tell me how to use my flash with linux.  Although, it has some things i admire, fortran, c,c++; their usage tends to be hard! cry
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 21, 2006
Red hat? what version? if u are using RH8 or earlier, there isnt much help for autodetection/automount of devices - this is what happens "invisibly" when u plug in a new dev in Windows.

Try and get RH9.2 or higher (fedora), or in fact anything with the 2.6 Kernel. There's automount, and there's support for a very wide range of USB devices.

alternative (for now) is to first ensure that the system has drivers for your flash,
1. become root

su

2. create a directory for mounting:

mkdir /mnt/flash

3. then create an entry in /etc/fstab as follows:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash vfat auto,users,rw 0 0

4. save the fstab file, then, at the commmand prompt, type

mount /dev/sda1

the flash disk is usually sda1, unless you have real SCSI disks, which i doubt!

the thing is you will have to manually mount the flash each time you plug it in, and unmount before you remove it. To unmount, say:

umount /mnt/flash

tedious, isnt it? abeg try upgrade to a 2.6 kernel-based distro. it will save you the stress.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:50pm On Mar 21, 2006
If the kernel you are using is from 2.6.12 upwards, your flash disk should automount. Suse 10.1 and Ubuntu Dapper drake actually show a pop-up window just like windows when you plug in a new hardware asking what you want to do with the hardware.

But to be honest, in all the distros I have used, from Mepis to Suse,to Kanotix,Knoppix,(K)ubuntu, and even Xandros, when I plug in a flash drive, it is mounted and ready for me to use immediately.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 2:16pm On Mar 21, 2006
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by peclint: 10:56pm On Mar 21, 2006
i think with time, linux will be the most used .i was using the mandrake 10.0(or9).but i was always runin into problems. so i have stopped using it. i bought red hat 4rm ikeja and i have tried many times to instal it, but it gives me the message that it can't see the cd drive . how do i do this. i really need to install it
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 12:21am On Mar 22, 2006
peclint:

i think with time, linux will be the most used .i was using the mandrake 10.0(or9).but i was always runin into problems. so i have stopped using it. i bought red hat from ikeja and i have tried many times to instal it, but it gives me the message that it can't see the cd drive . how do i do this. i really need to install it

At what point does it tell you this? After the installation?

I think I've heard of some problems with the fstab file. apparently the cdrom entry is /dev/cdrom0 when it should be /dev/hd[a,b,c,d] depending on where you connected your CD-ROM drive (primary/secondary master/slave)
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:22pm On Mar 22, 2006
@thekrafter, i've not seen a gal using linux b4, so i'm curious.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:29pm On Mar 22, 2006
i need a fast link to download fedora core 5. Someone know of any?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 8:29pm On Mar 22, 2006
You can get it from Softpedia. Here's the link: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Fedora-Core-Download-41.html
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 10:41pm On Mar 22, 2006
Niggy:

@thekrafter, i've not seen a girl using linux before, so i'm curious.

Yeah, we all dream of such a one don't we? smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 11:00pm On Mar 22, 2006
In fact in the entire development industry we hardly encounter women - why? Do they feel inferior? I'd sure love to meet female programmers.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 12:57am On Mar 23, 2006
the day i meet one, i will do a thanksgiving service. still searching, tho.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kossy(m): 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2006
thanks. I will try this codes. I am using RH 9.2. For my flash drive, the best it does was to detect it but with this code i ought it will do something grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2006
@thekrafter, Yeah, we all dream of such a one don't we?
i think there is an ace up your sleeve. Damn man. what are you up too. don't push me. f**k! Hope she's not seeing any of these , or , you know gals now, start feeling kool.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.