Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31189 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2005
it must be that tight there then. this copywrite of a thing ,huh?
everything in Nigeria is illegally "opensource" . lol
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 7:23pm On Jul 24, 2005
When I was in Naija, I used kazaalite so much that kazaalite imself fear. But here, all the need to trace you is your ISP so if I need any music now, I just go to ebay or wait for stores to do sales
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2005
jogego:

Limewire is wonderful, but I stopped downloading music using either it or kazaa, don't want the police knocking down my door all in the name of copyright infringement.

Install and use ABT, they'll never get your IP!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 11:05pm On Jul 24, 2005
ABT being what more info please
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 12:03am On Jul 25, 2005
*cough* check ya PM *cough*
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 8:55am On Jul 25, 2005
chxta, i hope u are not trying to introduce our jogego into this . . .*clearing throat*.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 9:07am On Jul 25, 2005
into what? There are several ways of masking your IP on the net that I know albeit most of them work with windows and I dont know any linux way. Basically how they work is to channel your traffic thru some proxy servers so when your 'IP' is recorded, it cant be traced back to you.

Some even go so far as changing every few seconds so you are virtually untraceable.

@Niggy, am staying off the network printer now, I know am going to install 2005-03 pretty soon and when I do that, I might have to redo it all over. Thanks
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2005
ok man, hope you get it on after ur new installation.
guess i can rest my samba tutorial there for now. has anybody tried out mandriva 2006 beta?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 11:52am On Jul 25, 2005
Mid-day News:

According to a report issued this month by analyst firm IDC, Linux "is no longer a niche phenomenon." The overall Linux marketplace revenues for server and PC hardware and packaged software are expected to reach $35.7 billion by 2008, IDC says. Packaged software revenue is the fastest growing market segment within the Linux marketplace, growing 44% annually to over $14 billion in 2008.

On the desktop, IDC says Linux PC shipments are expected to almost triple from six million units this year to 17 million units in 2008. Percentages of PCs shipped with Linux increase from about 3.8% in 2004 to about 7% in 2008. However, these numbers do not take into account the PC units shipped with Windows, to which Linux is subsequently added.

As you can see, the evidence suggests that Linux on the desktop is growing, and that means more PC gamers who will want to be able to frag at will in Linux. In the game console sector, hackers already know that Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's Playstation II also support Linux.

source: http://www6.tomshardware.com/business/20041230/
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 8:59am On Jul 26, 2005
If you are a fedora core 4 user and have been having problem with compiling with gcc 4.0.0-8, this is good news for ya. gcc 4.0.1 rpms for fedora core 4 is out at fedora extra download pages. download it + all the dependencies provided with it. if fact download all the updates on the page. Now i can compile newer packages meant for gcc 4 in a flash.(esp. the moodin engine for new ksplashs). you can give the moodin ksplash theme a try,y ll love it!
During gcc 4.0.1 rpm installation you might encounter some error messages and dependencies error so this is au i wz able to install mine.

rpm -Uvh --nodeps <packagename>

Do this for each gcc and libgcc you are installing.
To install all at a go do

rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.rpm

Then reboot you system using

shutdown -r now

may linux be with you
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2005
Any recommendations on Digital camera working with Linux? Looking at getting one today or tomorrow.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Seun(m): 9:30am On Jul 26, 2005
Two ways I can think of:

- Check the drivers that come with the digital camera. If there's a Linux driver then your camera has Linux support.
- Ask your computer hardware retailer for a list of available camera models, then use google to search for Linux compatibility of each one. The google search 'your_camera_model + linux' will do the trick.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 9:44am On Jul 26, 2005
The most recent Linux kernels actually treat digital cameras as external storage media, much like USB sticks so it seems I will be okay with any digital camera I buy.

but to be doubly sure, I'd check kanotix's wiki
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by lordimpaq(m): 9:50am On Jul 26, 2005
U guys are all talkin about windows and linux...when there is even a more beautiful and reliable OS..the
apple OS X is one of a kind.... it has everything that linux has to offer... the only problem is the interoperability with other software vendors.. but it is gradually gaining ground .......The gui is just superb and just lovely
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by joftech(m): 9:52am On Jul 26, 2005
Any recommendations on Digital camera working with Linux? Looking at getting one today or tomorrow.

jogego, it seems you are still one of those doubting thomases, 90% of mainstream hardwares supported by windows are supported by Linux. Just make sure you get a distro with fairly recent kernel (2.4 >wink. Mandrake has good support for all these devices too. Just make sure you get a mainstream digital camera.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:51pm On Jul 26, 2005
would you kindly try and read the earlier posts b4 jumping to wrong conclusions? Doubting thomas about what? If you read my posts and even my reply to you earlier today, you'd know I use Linux strictly. And read my signature if you are in any doubt

If any body wants a list of digital cameras supported by gphoto, visit this page:

http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:54pm On Jul 26, 2005
lordimpaq:

U guys are all talkin about windows and linux...when there is even a more beautiful and reliable OS..the
apple OS X is one of a kind.... it has everything that linux has to offer... the only problem is the interoperability with other software vendors.. but it is gradually gaining ground .......The gui is just superb and just lovely

Yeah agreed, macOS UI is very funky, but up until Apple stops taking advantage of its loyal customers and selling stuff at a premium to them, am staying with Linux. In any case, KDE allows me to do as much eye candy as I want. Just take a look at the choices on kde-look.org. Splash screens, boot-splashes, icons, themes, mouse pointers, you name it, KDE allows you to change it to your choice.

TO go a step further, install superkaramba and u can get all sors of wigets. Which is what Apple has copied in their new OS calling it dashboard.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by joftech(m): 1:07pm On Jul 26, 2005
would you kindly try and read the earlier posts before jumping to wrong conclusions?

am not talking about your Linux prowess am talking about your digital camera issue, you said you want to confirm, this means you are not so sure.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 1:33pm On Jul 26, 2005
Has anyone experience this error:
i tried installing mandriva 2006 beta1 and i'm being greeted with this error message each time i had tried to boot 4m the cdrom to start the installation.

/usr/bin/perl:error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
I get this error when i use my Via samuel 2 800mhz system.

But when i use P4 2.6Ghz , the installation started without the error prompt.
I'm working on the solution presently but any contribution is kindly welcome
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2005
@niggy, you might find this interesting

http://www.improvedsource.com/content/view/13/2/
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2005
what an interesting link!!! Thanks jogego.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 8:51am On Jul 27, 2005
menshun it
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:05am On Jul 27, 2005
au wz the new kanotix?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 9:17am On Jul 27, 2005
havent even burnt it ............dont want to dabaru the one am using now. read a preview of KDE 3.5 will look for it and get it for you
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 9:23am On Jul 27, 2005
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:39am On Jul 27, 2005
i'm currently seeking for a download link of the kde3.5 . know any?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 11:31am On Jul 27, 2005
When did yahoo buyover konfab?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kazey(m): 11:40am On Jul 27, 2005
It was on the news grin, 2 days ago, I suppose?. You should start frequenting tech sites o. smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2005
I do frequent tech sites but only sites with linux bias, after all wetin i wan take windows news do?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kazey(m): 2:52pm On Jul 27, 2005
hahahha u guys sef.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 4:43pm On Jul 27, 2005
all these win-overdoze users don tire me self, aba!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:25am On Jul 28, 2005
This is the desktop view of a user on my windows. Like i said i always like my desktop tidy and simple. the only visible icon is for my sonyericsson p900 phone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Mtn Hynet--- / Windows 8: The Thread / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.