Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,109 members, 7,835,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31352 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 1:46am On Apr 20, 2006
jogego, i got my Ubuntu disks today, today, today!!!

I ordered for them like early last week, am so surprised they arrived fast!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2006
For fedora users, fedora frog

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 3:03pm On Apr 24, 2006
My core 5

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:20pm On May 03, 2006
Whao! i just said bye bye to ma windows os. I now have a card reader which works perfectly on ma linux box. so i can easily copy ma songs into ma 128Mb MMS flash stick 20times the speed of a sony ericsson sync station.
i love fedora core 5
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 5:47pm On May 03, 2006
Congrats niggy. I can't exactly say bye to Windoze until I cen be satisfied enough with WINE to run my FM 2006!!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by eveseh(f): 9:33pm On May 06, 2006
windowns operating system
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 10:34pm On May 06, 2006
Have you used Linux before?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by eveseh(f): 1:22am On May 07, 2006
no
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 2:54pm On May 07, 2006
Zahymaka:

Have you used Linux before?

Have you sorted out your monitor or is it Video driver?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 3:31pm On May 07, 2006
Yeah, I have. I'm currently running MEPIS. That question was for eveseh -- she just jumped in and replied "Windows" and I was sure she hadn't used Linux before.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by spikelord(m): 12:58am On May 08, 2006
I thought Linux is all about the command stuff, No graphic stuffs nothing. Anyway, I prefer Red Hat to any other Operating system,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 1:36am On May 08, 2006
There's lots of graphics on Linux. Do some exploration -- you could use GNOME, KDE or Enlightenment.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 3:17pm On May 08, 2006
Try XFCE
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 4:26am On May 09, 2006
I prefer windows. Everyday, I see people struggling with linux, this that or the other is not supported. . .

Or, there is no stable build for PHP in Debian and arguments back and forth as to using debian over ubuntu or other crap.

I'll stick with windows. All my devices work. The problems I have are rare. If someone develops something new, I don't have to wait, hope, or develop the drivers myself.

In every other regard, windows is just as user friendly or friendless as linux. The stress levels of the system admins in my dept (windows) and the cs dept (linux) seem to be the same. Actually, our sys admin never seems stressed out at all.

People claim that linux offers the out of the box experience - everything up and running within 30 minutes, no need to install other third party apps AFTER installing the OS. Well, you can do it with windows. In fact. . .I experienced it a few weeks ago when I got a new machine. Connected it to the network and went to the Sys admin. He reimaged the machine and within 30 minutes, I had everything, XP, antivirus, office, matlab, and tons of other software necessary in my work - not to mention all drivers installed, etc.

In my experience, the difference is a matter of taste and ideology, not functionality or even cost. Though linux is technically "free" for those who see huge costs from licensing and supporting systems - ie major companies and universities - studies (as well as company sys admins) have repeatedly shown that linux costs about the same as windows.

To the regular consumer, almost every machine you buy comes preloaded with windows. It's built into the price of your machine. . . so, you don't notice it as a line item when acquiring your new machine. Assuming you only operate one machine at a time, even if you upgrade to a new one, you can migrate your licensed copy of windows.

The security argument is just as full of holes.

Lets see, is there anything else?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 6:40pm On May 09, 2006
So now that you have finished pouring your heart out, can you back up your statements?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by roflmao: 12:14pm On May 10, 2006
I'm a Linux fan myself but I'll have to agree with allonym on this stuff. The points he talked about are what I've considered but still prefer Linux. Basically I call it how I see it and I call a spade a spade.

I moved to Linux mainly because as a Computer Science student it just don't sound right to be unfamiliar with it or any other Unix based OS for that matter. In fact a prospective employer at one of the bigget IT company told us during our Industrial Placement presentation: "If you want us to refuse you then don't learn Linux!".

In the industry there are things Linux are better at than Windows and there are those Windows are better at (or maybe more suitable/appropraite for!) than Linux. But as a typical desktop PC for homeuse, running Windows will always be an advantage. The fact is, and as allonym put it, "it's a matter of taste and idealogy". But I'll also like to add awareness and familiarity to that because some people may like Linux if they ever were aware of it or gain familiarity with it.

I run both on my machine but I tend to use the Windows for DVD or watch TV. I use Linux more often because actually like the challenges it gives, it's raw and purer, and given that I've only been running it less than a year I can also build on my familairity ans experience with it. But then I'll agree this is all because I'm in IT and can find my way round it due to my knowledge (plus little experience with Solaris) than the ordinary user wanting a PC for personal homeuse.

Here's a very good, realistic, unbiased. and useful article on this topic:http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by seyiox(m): 4:01pm On May 10, 2006
hey guys i need clusterKnoppix CD like yest. Any of you with the CD. Dont have the speed to download it .

If you've got it and are in VI (or anywhere i can meet up with you in Lagos), i'd be grateful if you holla mii.

Thanks.

P.S: Really u guys mean u haven't experienced issues with selinux
I posted this a while back nobody seems to have the same prob.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by IAH(f): 6:05pm On May 10, 2006
Let's just say that we all love to hate anything Micro$oft! cheesy 
We say Windows sucks but Linux doesn't,
DirectX sucks but OpenGL doesn't,
and the obvious lie - IE sucks but Firefox doesn't cheesy cheesy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 6:11pm On May 10, 2006
IAH, you're a programmer [or in IT]? Lordy Lord! Now that is something. Pleased to meet you.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by seyiox(m): 10:49am On May 11, 2006
@IAH,
i didnt post that to spite linux user.
I dont have a windows installation on my system and i dont plan to so i cant compare OSes but all i wanted was anyone who was doing correctly what i was doing incorrectly

besides if you think IE is better than firefox. all i can say is

OH MY GAWD!!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by seyiox(m): 10:52am On May 11, 2006
niggy you mean all that came with your fc5 installation by default. (themes and all) ? except the wallpaper
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Bolaji4349(m): 9:55pm On May 11, 2006
No body here is talking about Solaris here and unix!!!

I started using linux for over a year now and is pretty good for server envrion especially for web developers, it's the best server for hosting website and for core firewall if you no how to configure it in real time. I started with fedora-core 4 but no i want to move to redhat enterprise 4 because fedora distro to my knowlege and from redhat state that, fedora is use in very low security area where security is not an issue but redhat in production environ where security is at its maximum. Another distro i think is one of the best out there but i have never use it at all is debien, before i try learning linux i was pure microsoft guy but now am a mixture of those NOS including solaris. i currently run solaris 10 on my network lab,  Now i just use linux for my firewall and VPN server and some other services. But I still tell poeple that off all those good thing about linux, i still believe microsft is still on top if talk about firewall, go check Ms ISA Server 2006,  for your firewall and VPN Connectivity,  In VPn deployment microsoft is still at the top in VPN security, with its VPN qurantinee embedded with Server 2003 SP1 and Ms Isa Server 2004 & 6.

Domain Enverion, Microsoft Server is still at top!  but notwithstanding must of this solution are good depending on who is configuring it, there is no matter how you configure a linux server for firewall and still allow some on use port open, it will not close its self and same go to microsoft solution for firewall and any server plateform but the best is deploying DMZ network seperately!!!!

For the guy talking about firefore, i tell most poeple before to use firefore only on servers and maybe on workstations too, i dont recommend IE for server systems b'cos of some issues, but microsft has come to change my mind with it's new release of IE-7, the beta 2 is pretty dem good in terms of the security features inbult,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by xdos(m): 7:12pm On May 21, 2006
Hey Niggy,
I've never tried out Linux but what I've read from your writeups makes me wanna try it. So Please, which of the linux version do you advice me to try and how do I get it? fedora core 5 is now available sha but I dont have enough speed to download it. if you can send me one of your linux OS, I'll appreciate it. I stay in Enugu so plz holla me opec60@yahoo.com.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 9:58pm On May 29, 2006
Chxta:

So now that you have finished pouring your heart out, can you back up your statements?

Umm, what kind of backup do you require? A notarized statement where I describe the numerous devices I've used with my windows machine w/o incident along with copies of website logs and notarized statements from linux users who struggle to use the same things with their machine?

Video confessions? testimonials? What would it take?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 9:12am On Jun 02, 2006
All of the above
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by pfowighz(m): 5:30pm On Jun 09, 2006
But with all these, one wud expect that my silly c++ designed *.exe program wud be easy to open on my KDE Linux, but, <Rolls Eyes, AND nose> angry
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Drusilla(f): 6:54pm On Jun 09, 2006
Everybody needs at least one Windows computer.

Everybody in the world makes the software for Windows, so without windows, you are pretty much cancelled out of access to about 95 percent of the software being made.

Linux on the other hand is wonderful for me. I just love to play with it myself. It is a computer persons dream as far as it being fun to build up and destroy your system over and over.

I am partial to Libranet, easy to install, gives you every option in the world and of course free for most everything.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by gbolly707(m): 5:43pm On Jun 18, 2006
Niggy, I love ur contributions on the forum.pls I am interested in the mandrake 10 cds how do I get them?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by gbolly707(m): 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2006
niggy,I live in lagos.my email addy is gbolly_707@yahoo.com
pls get in touch
I really would want to be familiar with mandrake.
do you recommend anything else?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 9:00pm On Jun 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Everybody needs at least one Windows computer.

Everybody in the world makes the software for Windows, so without windows, you are pretty much cancelled out of access to about 95 percent of the software being made.

Linux on the other hand is wonderful for me. I just love to play with it myself. It is a computer persons dream as far as it being fun to build up and destroy your system over and over.

I am partial to Libranet, easy to install, gives you every option in the world and of course free for most everything.

Now Drusilla's a geek? Hmmmmmm.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:03am On Jun 21, 2006
@gbolly707, thanks man. i m currently in skol, oau ife. I'd really wish to help, but don't know how since ain't not in lag. why mandrake 10,? they are no more mandrake, but mandriva, i ve the mandriva 2006 release. By the way i'm a fedora person, and currently on core 5. Takia
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by gbolly707(m): 3:45pm On Jun 24, 2006
niggy thanks alot for ur advice.is there a way i could get the mandriva 2006 release,I have friends at OAU you might pass it thru them .

n.b I dont mind paying

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.