Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City (21916 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Epistle Of Garbage By Femi Fani-kayode / Garbage Pile Up On Abeokuta Roads, Waste Company Blames Diesel Price / You Cannot Treat People Like Garbage And Worship God - Zahra Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by chrisxxx(m): 5:57am On Nov 28, 2018
Writing damning reports about Port Harcourt will not help anyone. Yoruba press has succeeded in moving oil companies from Port Harcourt to Lagos. The aim of this now I do not know. Is it to move the residents?
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Franking: 6:00am On Nov 28, 2018
eazisky:
i blame amaechi

yet these are the people who want the FG to hands off their oyel, when you cant manage your enviroment how will you manage oyel?

Is it ur oyel?

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by movetoca: 6:02am On Nov 28, 2018
eazisky:
i blame amaechi

yet these are the people who want the FG to hands off their oyel, when you cant manage your enviroment how will you manage oyel?
Let them hands off first. You will confirm what we are capable of.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by vonxe: 6:09am On Nov 28, 2018
I use to tell people high population density is the cause of this

2 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Lifestone(m): 6:09am On Nov 28, 2018
Nigeriadondie:
That is PDP for you. Yet they want to get Nigeria working again
Bro Checkout Lagos, the jewel of APC. Waste management is a national disgrace to Nigeria
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by DTeekay(m): 6:09am On Nov 28, 2018
Well as a resident of Port Harcourt I think the government can do better with the way refuse is dumped and collected, residents on one hand seem to think the best place to dump refuse is by the road side or the middle of the road; that mentality has to change , refuse collection centres should be designated and appropriate waste bins should be provided by the community and government, on the other hand the government can do more by putting more pressure on contractors charged with cleaning up the state, in Rivers State waste collection contracts are one of the most juicy contracts and Governor's tend to give the position to their goons, it is counter productive because when they don't deliver the government cannot put adequate pressure on one of his closest ally's eg The sole proprietor of Rivers State waste management is the Rivers State PDP chairman Felix Obuah. The government of Rivers State is doing well don't get me wrong, but others in the state saddled with responsibility also have to live up to that. I recall one time the waste management contractors went on strike leaving Port Harcourt and it's environs looking like a dung Hill. But it turned out that all monies owed to them are being paid regularly. I want to charge our citizens, NGO's, Philanthropists not to leave everything for the government. In Finland citizens volunteer to clean their forests without pay from the government.
WisdomFlakes:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-port-harcourt-went-from-garden-to-garbage-city.html

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by movetoca: 6:10am On Nov 28, 2018
lonelydora:
Pitakwa has lost it's glory.

Every nook and crannies of PH is littered with refuse. Many roads are littered with Contractor's spoilt compactor, and the annoying thing is people keep dumping refuse in and around yhe spoilt compactor.

Wike, please wake up on this refuse thing.

I give it to Amaechi when it comes to refuse handling.

Op, Obigbo Oyigbo has been neglected by every government of the state for years. They won't tell you the truth, but it's because it is Igbo people place. No raods, no electricity, nothing
Why do you guys always say that they neglected Obigbo, yes I call it Obigbo because no body not even bus conductors call it "Oyigbo" because it's Igbo people's place. I know their road is terrible but it's not because of tribal reasons. Obigbo is far developed than any Ogoni's town. So what do you have to say about that?

3 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by nuradeeny(m): 6:11am On Nov 28, 2018
This happens in all states of nigeria .they must be a place where marketers dump refuse.But the worst part of it is to put dump refuse inside city...that bad
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by seanfer(m): 6:12am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:
Media! They will not relent in their biased report on certain issues. They can convince the gullible and make them believe that Bubu is a saint who has not stolen a penny in his entire lifetime. Port Harcourt as a city is not as degraded as portrayed in this write up. I think maybe someone is try to discredit the tremendous sustainable projects Wike as embarked on since becoming the governor.

I live in Port Harcourt and I am telling you that this report is not biased.... Every road and streets in PHC is full of dirts.... The State government told people to dump their refuse on the Median of the road and most people don’t bag them well...

10 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by CoolAmbience(m): 6:23am On Nov 28, 2018
emmie14:

Op and people like you may decide to write longer easy but one thing is sure..Wike is working , APC and president Buhari have failed Nigerians , evidence is available. Port Harcourt is in Nigeria.
You tap the crude and leave the city in garbage. Shame onto you wicked rulers and supporters of evil and darkness.

What nonsense is this?

What is the correlation between oil tapped from the state and the poor state of sanitation? Who is talking of oil spills and land / water pollution in the creeks? Even those result mostly from illegal crude refining activities too.

7 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by brodalokie: 6:23am On Nov 28, 2018
moderatorr1:
Hate speech.

I think this OP is a honest apolitical writer who wants an upgrade in their region.

5 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by otokx(m): 6:23am On Nov 28, 2018
Port Harcourt is indeed very dirty and the citizens have refused to bag their waste. The waste management agency is clearly overwhelmed, it is a pity some here are trying to give it a political colouration.

There is no longer a distinction between industrial and residential areas, everywhere is now a market/business area and that means indiscriminate heaps of unmanageable dustbin.

Every junction in Port Harcourt has a market and a motor pack/bus stop, so its gabbage unlimited and the stench is horrible when it rains which it does often.

7 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Quality20(m): 6:24am On Nov 28, 2018
lonelydora:
Pitakwa has lost it's glory.

Every nook and crannies of PH is littered with refuse. Many roads are littered with Contractor's spoilt compactor, and the annoying thing is people keep dumping refuse in and around yhe spoilt compactor.

Wike, please wake up on this refuse thing.

I give it to Amaechi when it comes to refuse handling.

Op, Obigbo Oyigbo has been neglected by every government of the state for years. They won't tell you the truth, but it's because it is Igbo people place. No raods, no electricity, nothing
So u mean igbos have a city as large as Oyigbo? Why don't igbos seek for d creation of Oyigbo state if u guys won't allow them be governor of Rivers

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by CoolAmbience(m): 6:25am On Nov 28, 2018
allthingsgood:

Somehow u manage to drag buharis name to this u worthless piece of trash. If u want to slavishly follow an agbero like wike, well good luck with that. But don't call buhari here. He has nothing to do with this post OK.

Forget that guy abeg, e be like say e no well.

4 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by yjgm(m): 6:27am On Nov 28, 2018
helinues:
This must be a sponsored article. Wike is one of the best governor in Nigeria in terms of project.
Almost every state in Nigeria looks like this. Not until Nigeria bans plastic product, we should expect all our cities to be littered with dirt.
Not my state Nigeria. That's so despite the failings of the current administration in the state. At least the environment is always clean in the capital.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by helinues: 6:31am On Nov 28, 2018
yjgm:

Not my state Nigeria. That's so despite the failings of the current administration in the state. At least the environment is always clean in the capital.

Which state pls?
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:41am On Nov 28, 2018
This same PH i visited last month. Liars continue

1 Share

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by technicallyrich(m): 6:42am On Nov 28, 2018
What is the meaning of governor wikes title of pos. What does pos mean.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:44am On Nov 28, 2018
Forget the media propaganda of APC against Rivers state. Port Harcourt is a very clean city. Lagos is not half as clean

1 Share

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by nengibo: 6:45am On Nov 28, 2018
AnthonyAk:
Lol if you notice all those areas are filled with indigines, they killed their own state
Its people like you that will never see anything good about Rivers people but when you ask to leave, you will cry foul, Oyigbo is now filled with indegens, Slaughter market that is now dirty like uratta in aba is now filled with indegens, the problem is due to poor waste collection, those local waste collectors dispose the waste collected anywhere without regard, the city's indegens and residents need to change their attitude about pollution and the government should improve the collection and handing of waste

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:46am On Nov 28, 2018
These are pictures i captured just last month during a visit to Port Harcourt

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by nengibo: 6:47am On Nov 28, 2018
MXrap:
Forget the media propaganda of APC against Rivers state. Port Harcourt is a very clean city. Lagos is not half as clean
Leave Lagos and politics, we need to improve our attitudes towards waste

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Wantedmiller: 6:47am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:
Media! They will not relent in their biased report on certain issues. They can convince the gullible and make them believe that Bubu is a saint who has not stolen a penny in his entire lifetime. Port Harcourt as a city is not as degraded as portrayed in this write up. I think maybe someone is try to discredit the tremendous sustainable projects Wike as embarked on since becoming the governor.

So you finally rushed to write rubbish......

I wonder why we always think everything is politics. Even if it is politics a lot of things has gone wrong in Port Harcourt. Is it the daily Killing going on steady in River State.

Even OP was so careful not to mention name like Felix Obuh... River State PDP chairman. He is the man in charge of those waste. But he chose not to work because he is bigger than the person that gave him the contract.

3 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Deapexboy(m): 6:48am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:

Drive down east west road and see for yourself

3 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:49am On Nov 28, 2018
Don't buy into media propaganda, this is PH

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:51am On Nov 28, 2018
PH at night

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:52am On Nov 28, 2018
Wike effect in PITAKWA

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:53am On Nov 28, 2018
Port Harcourt

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by otokx(m): 6:54am On Nov 28, 2018
Deapexboy:

Drive down east west road and see for yourself

Ikwerre road too, NTA, amongst others.

2 Likes

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:54am On Nov 28, 2018
New businesses in Port Harcourt

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:56am On Nov 28, 2018
Port Harcourt under Wike

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by MXrap: 6:58am On Nov 28, 2018
Inner streets of Port Harcourt under Wike

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Airforce Commences Night Training In Lagos (Don't Panic) / Aisha Buhari Launches Free Health Screening In Ibadan, Oyo State (Pics) / PDP Extends Makarfi Led Caretaker Committee By 12 Months. PICTURES.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.